Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hayao Kawabe

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spending Jan here before going back to Grasshoppers.

Seems a bit of an odd one

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sellars: "Due to the GBE criteria for signing international players, Hayao is a player who is eligible to sign for a British club this month, but may not be in the future, which is why we’ve moved now to confirm his signing."

Smart stuff to get this deal done in that case.

He is Wolves first ever Japanese player too and an attacking midfielder - an area where we have been CRAVING someone!

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems odd to sign a 26 year old to loan out.
Couple things I've read indicate he's a bit of a late developer, done good at Grasshopper and I think Wolves are swooping now whilst they can and then seeing how he develops.

Has made his debut for the national team as well.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean his stats from this season with Grasshoppers look decent from midfield, and he's broken into the international team, so sounds like he's having a good year.

If we like him but are worried we might not be able to sign him in future due to GBE rules, makes sense.

I presume when he was signed for Grasshoppers last year that was always with a view of him coming here if he did well, so not a case of us chucking money at them for a nobody. Slightly longer-term thinking.

MontyR

Reaction score
Saw a grasshoppers fan say he's been their standout player and is the reason they're doing as well as they are. Not sure what the negativity is all about, seems like a no-brainer signing if he's already training with the squad, and likely to be cheap as chips too.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean his stats from this season with Grasshoppers look decent from midfield, and he's broken into the international team, so sounds like he's having a good year.

If we like him but are worried we might not be able to sign him in future due to GBE rules, makes sense.

I presume when he was signed for Grasshoppers last year that was always with a view of him coming here if he did well, so not a case of us chucking money at them for a nobody. Slightly longer-term thinking.
It's a pretty common sense approach.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. Absolutely stinks. Do grasshoppers need some cash or something? This is beyond murky.

It actually explained it in the article:

“Due to the GBE criteria for signing international players, Hayao is a player who is eligible to sign for a British club this month, but may not be in the future, which is why we’ve moved now to confirm his signing.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sellars: "Due to the GBE criteria for signing international players, Hayao is a player who is eligible to sign for a British club this month, but may not be in the future, which is why we’ve moved now to confirm his signing."
was just going to post the same, to fend off the inevitable questions

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had signed him, and not loaned him out, it would actually make more sense.
He's a good player, and would be a decent backup, and we only have 3 midfielders. So signing him, and probably quite cheapl makes sense. Its the loaning out part, I dont get...
I mean, if we dont have any money to spend, then even spending a tiny part on a player, we cant use for 6 months, makes no sense really.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we all get the Sellars explaination.
The big question is not - Why sign him now. The big question is - Why sign him, then loan him back?
He's 26, not a future prospect. And we DO need midfielders badly.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had signed him, and not loaned him out, it would actually make more sense.
He's a good player, and would be a decent backup, and we only have 3 midfielders. So signing him, and probably quite cheapl makes sense. Its the loaning out part, I dont get...
I mean, if we dont have any money to spend, then even spending a tiny part on a player, we cant use for 6 months, makes no sense really.
It's said in the article why we did.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The Japanese lad at Celtic hasn't done too badly has he, won't write him off yet especially without knowing the fee.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we should propose a name change for grasshoppers to Steve Bull Grasshoppers. I think people would understand the relationship a little better.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess Grasshoppers want him back to finish their season and see if they can qualify for Europe.
How and (more importantly) when we pay for him will surely have been discussed before we took him on board, and I seriously doubt it will impact on what we propose to do (if anything !) in the Jan market.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's said in the article why we did.
Yes, he's an important player to Grasshoppers, I get that.
Maybe I'm just fed up, at what seems like a prett pyointless signing at a moment where our squad is threadbare. I know planning for the future is important and all that of course and it makes sense to sign him when we can, rather than wait and then not be able to
Also £500,000 is pretty cheap for somebody who might be a decent backup next season.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My instincts tell me he won't ever play for us and we've bought him because we have to due to the rules that Sellars mentioned, no problem with that.

However, I don't understand why we're giving him back (unless we're signing a midfielder). It's an area we're short on, particularly as MGW is staying with Sheffield United and he's 26, so not one for the future.

Obviously I haven't seen him play but the fact he is in the Japan squad must mean he's decent enough.

Finally, Grasshoppers aren't doing anything of note in their league either. Realistically won't make top three, won't go down.

Now seemed like the perfect opportunity to use him, although I suppose he could force a rethink by impressing in training.

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has there been any other interest in signing him from other prem teams? Feels an odd signing to me.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think we all get the Sellars explaination.
The big question is not - Why sign him now. The big question is - Why sign him, then loan him back?
He's 26, not a future prospect. And we DO need midfielders badly.
So Guo doesn't have his missus on his case for curtailing her teams season. Happy Wife, happy life as the saying goes.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Remember we can play over age players in the U23’s so has he joined the development squad ?

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Koreans a nd Japanese aren’t keen on each other for historical reasons!

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Interesting. I read a rumour a few days ago on a Grasshoppers forum that they’d be without Gomes and Kawabe in January and possibly longer. Consensus seemed to be that they were key players who are a cut above the rest of the squad and would be big misses if and when they move on. Did think Gomes would probably be recalled on loan but didn’t put 2+2 together on Kawabe. Makes sense for the Wolves coaching team to look at them both and see if they have potential for the future. The gap between the Swiss Super League and Premier League is obviously massive so they may or may not be able to make the step up at some stage but good Wolves are taking a look and working these channels. No doubt they might do something similar with Bolla in the summer too.

Last edited:

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My instincts tell me he won't ever play for us and we've bought him because we have to due to the rules that Sellars mentioned, no problem with that.

However, I don't understand why we're giving him back (unless we're signing a midfielder). It's an area we're short on, particularly as MGW is staying with Sheffield United and he's 26, so not one for the future.

Obviously I haven't seen him play but the fact he is in the Japan squad must mean he's decent enough.

Finally, Grasshoppers aren't doing anything of note in their league either. Realistically won't make top three, won't go down.

Now seemed like the perfect opportunity to use him, although I suppose he could force a rethink by impressing in training.
Grasshopper got promoted last season.

Back
Top Bottom