Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Possibility of crowds up to 50% capacity in 2021

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

According to Wolve

As a tax payer I can't say I disagree with the government on that .... With the money thats around at the top of football its an absolute disgrace that clubs are going to the wall.
Sean Dyche had an interesting point on this though. Should Amazon then bail out failing retailers? Should profitable banks bail out other failing banks?

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sean Dyche had an interesting point on this though. Should Amazon then bail out failing retailers? Should profitable banks bail out other failing banks?
Amazon don't rely on other retailers (they're in competition with them), football clubs at the top need football clubs lower down the pyramid.

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
Can anyone explain why I will be able to watch Stourbridge FC on Saturday (really excited by the way) in safety whilst I will not be able to watch professional football??

It does appear inconsistent.

Bit like why I can go grouse shooting with my extended family yet cant all go over Kinver to take the dog for a walk!

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football clubs are entirely different to other businesses though so it's a ridiculous comparison, football clubs particualry as you go lower down the leagues are pillars and foundations of their communities and are far more than just about doing business and making money which is essentially who Dyche is comparing them to. Also football for other than half a dozen clubs at the very top is cyclical, we and many of the other clubs below the big 6 have for some time or another been out of the PL in the last 20 years, that we are fortunate to be here when a once in a hundred year freak event happens isn't enough reason to pull up the drawe bridge on all of those clubs in leagues below who are less fortunate. It could so easily be us struggling to survive, or Burnley in Dyche's case.

RobB

Reaction score

Banks have often bailed out other financial institutions in order to protect the stability of the financial system as a whole, actually that is normally what happens from LTCM to a stronger bank being 'encouraged' to take over a weaker one such as Fortis and ABN Amro.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football clubs are entirely different to other businesses though so it's a ridiculous comparison, football clubs particualry as you go lower down the leagues are pillars and foundations of their communities and are far more than just about doing business and making money which is essentially who Dyche is comparing them to. Also football for other than half a dozen clubs at the very top is cyclical, we and many of the other clubs below the big 6 have for some time or another been out of the PL in the last 20 years, that we are fortunate to be here when a once in a hundred year freak event happens isn't enough reason to pull up the drawe bridge on all of those clubs in leagues below who are less fortunate. It could so easily be us struggling to survive, or Burnley in Dyche's case.
Agreed. BUT clubs are standalone corporate entities not some sort of national cooperative.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Almost everyone agrees that TV money isn't shared anywhere near fairly. 4th tier clubs probably get less than 0.1% of total....
Football has screwed over smaller clubs for 30 years, maybe now the big clubs can do the right thing and help out the smaller clubs??

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Almost everyone agrees that TV money isn't shared anywhere near fairly. 4th tier clubs probably get less than 0.1% of total....
Football has screwed over smaller clubs for 30 years, maybe now the big clubs can do the right thing and help out the smaller clubs??
Do l believe that smaller clubs should get a better deal? Yes. The truth is though that smaller clubs rarely if ever appear on TV and, unless they were playing a big club in a cup, would likely attract miniscule audiences if they did

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why I will be able to watch Stourbridge FC on Saturday (really excited by the way) in safety whilst I will not be able to watch professional football??

Bit like why I can go grouse shooting with my extended family yet cant all go over Kinver to take the dog for a walk!
No. I can't explain that. I can't explain why for the past thirty years you could watch football on a packed terrace in safety as long as it wasn't in the top two divisions.

League position seems to be directly linked to danger it would seem. Who'd have thought?

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do l believe that smaller clubs should get a better deal? Yes. The truth is though that smaller clubs rarely if ever appear on TV and, unless they were playing a big club in a cup, would likely attract miniscule audiences if they did
Man Utd probably get 10x the viewing figures that we get, should they get 10x the money?
They still need other clubs in the leagues, and they NEED the leagues to at least appear competitive, with promoted clubs or 7th best team having at least a glimmer of hope of competing. Even though it's all a bit of a charade.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

To be fair, taking that argument to it's logical conclusion. Shouldn't then the most popular Prem clubs get a bigger slice of the TV revenue as their games are most watched?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man Utd probably get 10x the viewing figures that we get, should they get 10x the money?
They still need other clubs in the leagues, and they NEED the leagues to at least appear competitive, with promoted clubs or 7th best team having at least a glimmer of hope of competing. Even though it's all a bit of a charade.
Something like that (individually negotiated team TV contracts) happened in Spain until 2015.

To be fair, taking that argument to it's logical conclusion. Shouldn't then the most popular Prem clubs get a bigger slice of the TV revenue as their games are most watched?
Logically then very possibly. However, how would you define popular? At one time when we'd just been promoted we were described as everyone's second favourite team. Presumably that was reflected in viewing figures. Not sure if it still is.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Dyche did say that, and I've not seen the quote, then that's surprising and disappointing given he spent the majority of his career in the lower leagues.

All football clubs are the lifeblood of the local community, for some its their very identity. A club going out of existence has a devastating impact on thousands of people.

If a shop goes bust, I shop elsewhere.

If a bank goes bust, I bank elsewhere.

If Wolves goes bust, I have nothing to replace it.

It will take a small fraction of the obscene amount of money flowing into the Premier League to ensure the survival of those at the bottom of the pyramid.

Last edited:

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
And again... keep it to football related please. Don't be surprised if general covid posts are simply deleted.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking increasingly likely no one in until vaccine in place.Saints and other clubs sold ST's this season which didn't make sense at the time and even less now.

D

Deleted member 4099

Looking increasingly likely no one in until vaccine in place.Saints and other clubs sold ST's this season which didn't make sense at the time and even less now.
What if there isn’t a vaccine?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yep its bonkers. Im off to watch Halesowen tomorrow instead. I miss the number 9 derby! Gew on the yeltz!

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
with crowds not likely to return anytime soon, looks like fans will mainly be viewing on line. For the top clubs where there are TV rights and money to be made this is fine, for smaller clubs lower down the leagues maybe the time has come for a change in model. Technology is such that now a game could be filmed and streamed online much cheaper than in the past, maybe it is now financially feasible that clubs can set up their own deal for some company to film and stream their matches and they then sell subscriptions/tickets to matches direct to their own fans

RobB

Reaction score
Prem clubs insisting that crowds start to be allowed back, sooner rather than later, if they are to help bailout smaller clubs, right strategy.

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think its generally the government think football fans are morons.
The way we are spoken to on away games and even some home games by authorities is a joke.
Remember the reaction when arriving back from 90 world cup, been like that since.
Us plebs cant be trusted.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I think its generally the government think football fans are morons.
The way we are spoken to on away games and even some home games by authorities is a joke.
Remember the reaction when arriving back from 90 world cup, been like that since.
Us plebs cant be trusted.
I think it’s more that the government don’t make much money from football fans. Happy to open pubs cinemas and restaurants though.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched the Super Cup last night and there were 20,000 there. That's more people in one place than anywhere here. Not an issue.
This country is a joke

I have to admit that I cannot see the logic why clubs cannot admit 1/3 capacity (as UEFA Super Cup) as long as clubs arrange entry, exit and concourse access with adequate social distancing and people wear masks when not sat at their seats. We’d have 10k in Molineux and a pretty decent atmosphere. If people didn’t follow the rules and clubs didn’t enforce them, then police can suspend fans attending, so there is an incentive to clubs and fans to be sensible.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm all for signing for the petition but in reality the concept is just lip service to make the public think they can sway the government, when in reality they just plough on regardless.

It will just get some time in a late sitting of parliament with a couple of backbenchers present.

Our democracy is shot to pieces.

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s more that the government don’t make much money from football fans. Happy to open pubs cinemas and restaurants though.
True. If theres a till, we are allowed there.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to start letting people make their own decisions about whether or not they return to the "normal", whilst still limiting the amount of "normal" there is.

Yes, cases are rising, but they are rising in the age group that it has one of the lowest effects on (Kids back at school and 25-40's because we're back at work).

A football ground has to be safer than packing people in to shopping centres, pubs, the royal albert hall etc.

For me, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever 6000 people in a 70k stadium like Old Trafford isn't safe.

Like Safe Standing, this needs to become a movement amongst fans, clubs and league authorities and they need to push and push, else it'll never happen and this **** stain of a government will force our beloved game in to the ground.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to start letting people make their own decisions about whether or not they return to the "normal", whilst still limiting the amount of "normal" there is.

Yes, cases are rising, but they are rising in the age group that it has one of the lowest effects on (Kids back at school and 25-40's because we're back at work).

A football ground has to be safer than packing people in to shopping centres, pubs, the royal albert hall etc.

For me, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever 6000 people in a 70k stadium like Old Trafford isn't safe.

Like Safe Standing, this needs to become a movement amongst fans, clubs and league authorities and they need to push and push, else it'll never happen and this **** stain of a government will force our beloved game in to the ground.
I saw a list of the top 20 districts with the most new cases in the last week and all bar one were those with a high concentration of students, where there are numerous halls of residence or student HMOs.

So I completely agree that reduced capacity crowds are very low risk.

Particularly given the government have deemed it safe to re-open the (indoor) Royal Albert Hall at 50% capacity!

Whirligig Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
There was an article yesterday indicating that when we are allowed back in they’ll restrict attendance to season ticket holders who live locally.
Suboptimal for those of us who have travelled up and down the M1 and M6 for many decades.
Optimal for a landlord in Whitmore Reans when I rent a flat from him...

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was an article yesterday indicating that when we are allowed back in they’ll restrict attendance to season ticket holders who live locally.
Suboptimal for those of us who have travelled up and down the M1 and M6 for many decades.
Optimal for a landlord in Whitmore Reans when I rent a flat from him...
Don't think they did that with any of the test events.

Probably just idle journalism/speculation there's a lot of it around.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw a list of the top 20 districts with the most new cases in the last week and all bar one were those with a high concentration of students, where there are numerous halls of residence or student HMOs.

So I completely agree that reduced capacity crowds are very low risk.

Particularly given the government have deemed it safe to re-open the (indoor) Royal Albert Hall at 50% capacity!

It's moves like that that create the "them and us" or "one rule for them, one rule for us" mentality.

I am very far removed from being supportive of the government and how they have handled this, but they do have a difficult balance to find.

I just don't see how shopping centres, pubs etc are safer than outdoor sports events, full stop.

Even the Americans had crowds in at NFL games this past week and their current status is ridiculous in comparison to ours.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves (official twitter) have now shown their support (a lot later than other clubs) to the campaign and petition.

Back
Top Bottom