Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

VERDICT - WOLVES V VILLA

Snorbans Wolf

Reaction score
Magnificent. Very impressed with Miranda, Neves and Jota.

Was fascinated to see Saiss play quite a lot of the match on the right of the central midfield two. Has he done that regularly before now?

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Costa your going to have to up your game as I now have a new favourite! - Jota! Just brilliant to watch.
Great all round performance and great stat with most goals from substitutions! Top work Nuno.

happy days - Love you wolves

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
EPIC!!

If that 30 odd pass and move had ended in a goal that would have been Goal of the Millennium!!!!

Sublime football, unbreachable defence, quality up front..TOP OF THE LEAGUE....

Lovely Day... :)
Best football for 40 yesrs. Superb

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just to add my voice to what everyone else is saying and what is clearly apparent to anyone who watched that game.- we were absolutely brilliant pretty much from start to finish. In fact as far as I'm concerned that was without doubt the best performance I've ever seen from a Wolves side.

We played beautiful, brilliant football from front to back - hard to pick out individuals but the obvious ones to start with are Jota and Neves, particularly Neves around whom there seems to have been a tiny whisper of doubt from time to time, well doubt no more, the guy is a joy to behold, a footballing wonder in gold and black, a righteous dude of distinction and glory in the great history of this football club. Although he did put in a couple of stray passes in the first half but what the heck, the second half, for him and the team, was on a new level, we are a team, a true and proper team, everybody does their stuff, everybody looks to play in their team-mate, we were completely at it from the first minute to the last, we wanted it more than Villa it seemed to me, as well as having the wherewithal to actually go out and get what we wanted. Superb. Superlatively superb. Superbly scintillatingly superlative.

Ivan Cavaleiro seems to have made the decision to become the player we all hoped he might be when we signed him, if that wasn't his best performance in a Wolves shirt I don't know what was, he was on fire, so much so that he must have earned Diogo's thanks for drawing all the nasty stuff that usually comes his way, Ivan was getting knocked to pieces but it didn't stop him, Villa had no answer to him.

I didn't think Villa were particularly bad as it goes, in fact one of the better sides we've seen at Molineux this season and they seemed to want to play football most of the time, its just that we did it so much better. They didn't seem to put us under so much pressure when we had the ball in our own half as Barnsley for example had done a few weeks ago and as Cardiff did.

Each and every one of them is worth a mention but this isn't really a time to dwell on individuals, it was just such a fantastic occasion, the performance, the crowd, both in numbers and noise and if only that series of 'Ole' passes had ended up as the third goal, which it almost did, it would have been perfect, but never mind, don't want to be picky!

And a final point not to do with the match itself but what a difference it makes having Waterloo Road closed, not dodging traffic as soon as you come out of the ground was such a relief but not only that, it seemed to make it more of an event. This is how it should be, a huge crowd, traffic stopped, an impact made on the day, on the city itself, a big event, that's how it felt, this is how match day should be for a club like Wolverhampton Wanderers, this is how it will be from now on.

Wow. We're gonna need a bigger Molineux that's for sure, this could be huge.....

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some Villa verdicts.

I don't care what team we put out, how we were set up to play or any other permutations currently available to us. The gulf in class is massive. We were outplayed completely and we don't have the players to ever play like Wolves did today. They are way better than any other team in the division. Yes it points to long term mismanagement but today you've just got to put your hands up and admit they are by far the better team.

We've played some shocking games before but today, Wolves were so good we didn't even have a chance to play badly! I think Villa are being moulded by Bruce to try and scrape the playoffs, Wolves have already been moulded to survive a Premier League season.

Beaten by the better team away from home. Very disappointing that we didn't make a change in the second half, but they played superbly. High pressure off the ball and excellent attacking threat.

Wolves are just a better team, better players, more ideas, better movement, better passing, better energy. If they are one of the promotion favourites, I don't see us getting to their standard.
Very honest and very true

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa fan having a go on twitter about us being tinpot because we've been in the lower leagues for a long time. What the **** does tinpot even mean?

B

Benson

Costa was not really in the game, I have seen Neves had better games, Douglas was nothing special, Ruddy without any real saves, but who cares?.. - all players 8 or higher with Jota a 10 as MOTM. By far our best performance this season. We controlled the game from the start and just got better and better. Second half fantastic. Without that exceptional performance from Hutton and the triple saves from their goalie we could have got 5.. at least. And this time it was no Burton we were up against.. Villa was not bad, but we are the best team in the world.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa gave Neves far too much room in my opinion, I think I'd have been disappointed with that as a Villa fan.
I don't think they could have done much about Jota if they'd tried though. October/November is when championship winning sides get into their stride - here's hoping that's us.

T

toytown wolf

Interesting game to watch from a neutral point of view. Hard to see anything but automatic promotion with that range at your disposal.

Come on Mister Boing, you can admit it on here, you wanted us to win today didn't you? I thought you stripeys were all about your second city rivalry with the Veela (to be said in a high pitched voice). Surely you wanted your Birmingham neighbours to be beaten? On a serious note I'm glad to see that you thought it might be worth watching from a neutral point of view, and pleased that you see that we look to be a serious player in the promotion race this season. Fingers crossed we can come and turn you over at the Hawthorns next year (and every year thereafter!).

G

German Wolf

My first game was Huddersfield in the last game of the 86/87 season (first Bully hatrick) and that is hands on the best performance from a Wolves side I've ever seen.

Given the moment, given the importance it was phenomenal. Total and utter control from start to finish with finishing sent from heaven.

WE ARE GOING UP.

And my first game was also v Huddersfield Town, but in 1967. As we all know we went up that season... Today was ridiculously good. Was that really Wolves?

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched on TV and the first thing that struck me was the atmosphere was fantastic.

To be honest, after the dross we have been watching for the last few years, it’s hard to believe that this is actually a Wolves team. Fabulous performance and result.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to add my voice to what everyone else is saying and what is clearly apparent to anyone who watched that game.- we were absolutely brilliant pretty much from start to finish. In fact as far as I'm concerned that was without doubt the best performance I've ever seen from a Wolves side.

We played beautiful, brilliant football from front to back - hard to pick out individuals but the obvious ones to start with are Jota and Neves, particularly Neves around whom there seems to have been a tiny whisper of doubt from time to time, well doubt no more, the guy is a joy to behold, a footballing wonder in gold and black, a righteous dude of distinction and glory in the great history of this football club. Although he did put in a couple of stray passes in the first half but what the heck, the second half, for him and the team, was on a new level, we are a team, a true and proper team, everybody does their stuff, everybody looks to play in their team-mate, we were completely at it from the first minute to the last, we wanted it more than Villa it seemed to me, as well as having the wherewithal to actually go out and get what we wanted. Superb. Superlatively superb. Superbly scintillatingly superlative.

Ivan Cavaleiro seems to have made the decision to become the player we all hoped he might be when we signed him, if that wasn't his best performance in a Wolves shirt I don't know what was, he was on fire, so much so that he must have earned Diogo's thanks for drawing all the nasty stuff that usually comes his way, Ivan was getting knocked to pieces but it didn't stop him, Villa had no answer to him.

I didn't think Villa were particularly bad as it goes, in fact one of the better sides we've seen at Molineux this season and they seemed to want to play football most of the time, its just that we did it so much better. They didn't seem to put us under so much pressure when we had the ball in our own half as Barnsley for example had done a few weeks ago and as Cardiff did.

Each and every one of them is worth a mention but this isn't really a time to dwell on individuals, it was just such a fantastic occasion, the performance, the crowd, both in numbers and noise and if only that series of 'Ole' passes had ended up as the third goal, which it almost did, it would have been perfect, but never mind, don't want to be picky!

And a final point not to do with the match itself but what a difference it makes having Waterloo Road closed, not dodging traffic as soon as you come out of the ground was such a relief but not only that, it seemed to make it more of an event. This is how it should be, a huge crowd, traffic stopped, an impact made on the day, on the city itself, a big event, that's how it felt, this is how match day should be for a club like Wolverhampton Wanderers, this is how it will be from now on.

Wow. We're gonna need a bigger Molineux that's for sure, this could be huge.....

Very well said.

R

Rauss

30,200. There to witness team spirit skill belief and movement touch and working for each other
1m watching in china
We are going places with fosun and ENS
OMG
WAW
10 / 10 to a man
Any source for the 1M china figure? If true then that's fantastic.

ManningtreeWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm primed to be shot down for over-exaggeration ....and it could be blamed for too many Tribute's, Atlantic's and Bank's BUT I think I could say that it's one of the most complete football displays I've ever seen on a technical level from a Wolves team since I started supporting them since a young kid in late 70's early 80's. The one or two touch quick passing , moving the ball in and out of tight areas , maintaining possession, seeing players comfortable on the ball that you know won't give it away cheaply. .. it's just quality all round. 1st half was majestic but lacking players in the six yard box to get on the end of things. Nuno, being the top coach he is, saw this , made the change with Bonatini and we had more presence in the box. The second half was epic. I've never felt so relaxed watching Wolves because now their quality and composure on the ball gives me reassurance that more often than not we will have enough to beat any opposition this weekend. SO looking forward to going next weekend v PNE and having a few beers in the Hogshead and Wheatsheaf. Hope the tickets starting selling well and we can get upper 28000

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't find the words, I'm so proud to the point of being emotional !!!

It was everything I wanted it to be, ....... only better!!! What a team we have!!!!!

I usually can't watch on these occasions but tonight I was mesmerized, mesmerized by the Wolves, I couldn't take my eyes off it!

Wonderful Wolves, top of the league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"It's a Beautiful Day, Don't Let It Get Away!"

It was the best £15 spent this year and was a showing of pure class and spirit - 12 strikes combined from Leo and Diogo so far demonstrates our tour de force at top - quality service from Costa and Cav proved that fact again this evening. Just utter FILTH at many points and if that 3rd went in, I don't know !

This is a superb rollercoaster of emotions to be on, as #Paradise and the #PromisedLand are surely coming! and IF it does so, I shall cry like a 2 year old, but I won't give 7 billion cares neither!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3518

Can't find the words, I'm so proud to the point of being emotional !!!

It was everything I wanted it to be, ....... only better!!! What a team we have!!!!!

I usually can't watch on these occasions but tonight I was mesmerized, mesmerized by the Wolves, I couldn't take my eyes off it!

Wonderful Wolves, top of the league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was truly unbelievable Waggy still floating on cloud nine.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Inconclusive.

The goal line technology malfunctioned on our first goal so the Ref got the two managers to agree not to use it, according to TV, so we'll never know. Jota appealed strongly for a goal and he was on the goal line so in a good position to judge, even if biased. Shame it couldn't be used.

mrboing

Reaction score
Come on Mister Boing, you can admit it on here, you wanted us to win today didn't you? I thought you stripeys were all about your second city rivalry with the Veela (to be said in a high pitched voice). Surely you wanted your Birmingham neighbours to be beaten? On a serious note I'm glad to see that you thought it might be worth watching from a neutral point of view, and pleased that you see that we look to be a serious player in the promotion race this season. Fingers crossed we can come and turn you over at the Hawthorns next year (and every year thereafter!).

On balance yes, mainly because the status quo in West Mids football was static for way too long. Ive got good mates both Wolves and Villa fans, who also talk sense. Wolves mates have been saying to me for weeks they think this is a special side and certainly on that viewing it is good to watch and very dynamic. Reminds me of elements of the season we won the league under Mowbray, but you probably have a better balance of flair and steel. I'm too long in the tooth to get as lairy and wound up about football as some do (and I probably used to) and so whilst I always want Albion to be up where we are good luck to Wolves and the fans that have stuck by some tougher years. Football always has ups and downs and it certainly looks like you are in for an exciting spell. I'll welcome the return of the derby match in the top flight (assuming we are still there!) and you can certainly see how hard Villa fans find playing 3rd fiddle in the locality.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If that 30 odd pass and move had ended in a goal that would have been Goal of the Millennium!!!!

Sublime football, unbreachable defence, quality up front..TOP OF THE LEAGUE....

Lovely Day... :)
I swear to god I was ready to streak! Perhaps just as well...

Bjorn Star

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At half time at Pride Park I said we'd win the league and I've seen nothing since to change my mind. These are truly happy days, savour them while you can!

Huge of Sharjah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Watched on TV and the first thing that struck me was the atmosphere was fantastic.

To be honest, after the dross we have been watching for the last few years, it’s hard to believe that this is actually a Wolves team. Fabulous performance and result.

Echoed here in this quote from the VillaTalk forum:

One thing that struck me today was the atmosphere. The fans are being entertained and boy have they responded. The place was buzzing. Such a stark contrast to Villa Park.

Like everyone else I'm just so very pleased with the way things are progressing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was truly unbelievable Waggy still floating on cloud nine.

Wow Rhos, can't imagine what it was like in the South Bank, so pleased for you to have days like this as your support deserves it all!!

Can't wait to watch it all over again and again and again ..... it was near enough as good as it gets!

Enjoy the rest of your evening basking in the afterglow no doubt!

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a STH anymore but went against Boro and went today.
Back of the south bank still as crazy as ever, but what a performance!

We are just a different level now, slick first time passes, long range pinpoint passes, movement on and off the ball and a grit and determination to get stuck in when it counts.

It's by far the best football I've seen down molineux since I first went in 85, long let the revolution continue!

K

KenilworthWolf

Had been looking forward to this game all week... crowd of 30,000+... local derby... the missus' first Wolves game... expectation..... it had 1-0 defeat written all over it pre-5.30.

But this is no longer typical Wolves, this Nuno's Wolves.

Genuinely the most complete Wolves performance I have ever witnessed. Fluent and effective in attack, solid and convincing in defence. Not doing individual scores for players as they were all amazing today.

So good to so many happy and buzzing Wolves faces in the ground, pubs and trains. Good times.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Class.Pure Class.My ears are still buzzing from the noise in the south bank.It was awesome.We celebrated like we were in the cow shed in 1970.:D Never bin hugged by so many fans.:eek: Think thenorthbank did some singing today as well,so a big pat on the back to them,and everyone else in the ground.Atmosphere was ace.I know jota and Neves has been mentioned a lot on this thread so I'd like to add Roderick Miranda who I thought was brilliant.;)

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get nervous before games this season for the reasons we just witnessed. we controlled that game from start to finish, and I feel there is much more to come

Back
Top Bottom