Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Would you take 7th?

Rugrats

Reaction score
Absolutely would take 7th right now if I could. Still got 15 games to go including Arsenal (A), West Ham (A), City (H), Brighton (H), Chelsea (A) and Liverpool (A). With the size of the squad, a lot hinges on the injured players hitting the ground running if we were to get Champions League. I feel it may be a step too far this season but it's fantastic to be in the conversation.
But Champions League would force Fosuns hand to open the wallet to avoid outright embarassment.

4th only for me - looking at the table there is absolutely no better team vying for 4th

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldnt say no to 7th. Even higher would be great but 7th would still be a very good achievement and some sort of European football.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If 7th lead to a European place then yes that would be a fantastic season for us and I'd "take" it all day long, I've got a feeling only 6th place in the league will guarantee a European spot though, got a sneaky that Leicester will win the Conference and get a spot in the Europa next year which I think would mean 7th wasn't enough?
Leicester are around 6/1 or 7/1 to win it. Roma are favourites

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely NO! Spurs and Utd are all over the shop and we have another crack at Arsenal and I think we can give WHU a really good game. We've got a run of winnable games then coming up which hopefully will coincide with the return of Neto and Jonny. I'm not saying we are up for 4th but with Kilman and Coady and Sa in the form they are in we have a chance in every game. Wolves have definitely arrived now as a big hitter in the Premier League.

T

TheConcourse

People saying no to the Europa Conference. ARE YOU MAD?

I’d give my right ******* to arrive at airports again to a sea of old gold. Best days I’ve had following Wolves.

That day in Porto by the riverside, Wolves fans in every bar, Wolves fans covering the bridge - unbelievable moments.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People saying no to the Europa Conference. ARE YOU MAD?

I’d give my right ******* to arrive at airports again to a sea of old gold. Best days I’ve had following Wolves.

That day in Porto by the riverside, Wolves fans in every bar, Wolves fans covering the bridge - unbelievable moments.
I can see why it’s great for a couple thousand fans. If you have the chance, good on you. However, for the club and players, the juice likely isn’t worth the squeeze. Thursday games for what?

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the start of the season I’d have taken something with a 7 in but would have had a 1 in front of it. Very pleasantly surprised how this season has gone so I’m just along for whatever will be.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d view 7th with a higher points total than our previous best (59 I think) as a great achievement.

Wouldn’t just take it now though, 6th is possible, even higher if we keep players fit and other teams continue to be inconsistent.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
But Champions League would force Fosuns hand to open the wallet to avoid outright embarassment.

4th only for me - looking at the table there is absolutely no better team vying for 4th
I'm not convinced it would necessarily force their hand but that's a separate conversation. In terms of qualifying this year though, our lack of goals and midfield depth will likely see us fall short of 4th. 7th would represent a good finish from here, 6th would be a great finish, 4th would be outstanding.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No way! We are as good as/ often better than Spurs, Arsenal, Man U and West Ham. We should go all out for 4th. Only Man C, Chelsea and Liverpool are truly out of our reach and out of our league (for the moment). Fortunately, the question is purely hypothetical, as no-one is going to be offering us 7th. We have 15 games to go and ALL TO PLAY FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we play 100% until end of season, we can sneak a champions league place. We're as good as the teams around us, beaten west ham, beaten man u, beaten spurs, Arsenal only just beat us.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would take 7th while simultaneously licking my lips and slapping my belly. Not only because we're an injury away from getting unstuck but also because I'm just immensely grateful that we're having these conversations - every day is Christmas in the xbomber house.

Dare to disagree? Gaze on this for a while and recall the run ins of seasons past:

1997 final.PNG

D

Deleted member (smith)

7th would be a terrific achievement. However that won’t stop the Fosun out, small time Jeff, the next level, we’ve let Bruno down, we need to invest and several other nonsensical threads.

Because fans always want more and don’t care about financial restraint , sustainability, FFP, because they don’t understand or really care.

Same for 4th….open the wallet now Jeff, get Sanches in, why let Neves go, if only Traore was here , who kicked the cat etc.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would take 7th while simultaneously licking my lips and slapping my belly. Not only because we're an injury away from getting unstuck but also because I'm just immensely grateful that we're having these conversations - every day is Christmas in the xbomber house.

Dare to disagree? Gaze on this for a while and recall the run ins of seasons past:

View attachment 26829
That wasn't even one of the bad ones! Losing out on 6th twice to Ipswich REALLY rankled

Wolvessince63

Reaction score
I can see why it’s great for a couple thousand fans. If you have the chance, good on you. However, for the club and players, the juice likely isn’t worth the squeeze. Thursday games for what?
That’s not what Conor Coady says in his 300 up interview, he’d take it all day long.

Reaction score
I'd 100% take Europa League again that'd be awesome. Champs League I just don't believe we'll win frequently enough to break in to. Nor do I kind of think we deserve to, if we can't score more goals.
But 7th, for this Conference League thing... what do you get for winning it? Entry into Europa? That could be a good carrot to try hard in it and aim for some silveware, for one, and probably an easier route than finishing top 6 next season

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd 100% take Europa League again that'd be awesome. Champs League I just don't believe we'll win frequently enough to break in to. Nor do I kind of think we deserve to, if we can't score more goals.
But 7th, for this Conference League thing... what do you get for winning it? Entry into Europa? That could be a good carrot to try hard in it and aim for some silveware, for one, and probably an easier route than finishing top 6 next season

Yup - winner of the Conference League gets an automatic Group Stage berth in the Europa League

oldsamdingle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
7th could be a disaster with the extra games to be played whilst most other players are still on their holidays if Fosun continue to not invest.
With our paper thin squad it would be a miracle, but what an achievement, if it could happen

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yup - winner of the Conference League gets an automatic Group Stage berth in the Europa League
Yep, I have come full circle on it. Also by the quarter/semi final the teams in it will be half decent and good away days.

Fenerbahçe, PAOK, Marseille, Celtic all tasty away days. Roma, Basel, PSV.

None of those are sides to be sniffed at, and would be regarded by vast majority of European (and probably English) fans as bigger clubs than us.

Lycaon

Reaction score
I say aim higher, whilst 4th place is possible let’s chase it down! If we end up with 7th then that’s still fine with me and represents a brilliant first season for Bruno.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously 7th would be a good achievement, but I'm greedy and want 4th to catapault us to the next level.
I don't see finishing 4th as getting to the next level. It'll likely be a one off. A one off I'd love to experience, but there's serious competition for the CL places. Man U will be back at some point, maybe even this year, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle all have their eyes on it. It would be very tough to stay there.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I say aim higher, whilst 4th place is possible let’s chase it down! If we end up with 7th then that’s still fine with me and represents a brilliant first season for Bruno.
I think that's what the team are doing. We're only discussing a hypothetical question. I'd sooner guarantee 7th than risk finishing 10th. There's no guarantees in reality though, so aim for 1st.

MIKE SLATER

Groupie
Reaction score
I am surprised people want to see Wolves in the Conference League, Walsall could beat some of the teams in it. It's the most pointless competition I have known, and that's saying something. I can understand wanting to be in the Europa League, though the 17 games we played in it were a factor in our poor form last season. It would be nice to finish above Man Utd and Tottenham, whatever it led to.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Obviously we can’t pick and choose and as great as it would be to be in a European competition, not sure our small squad would cope that easily with league and European fixtures been crammed into a much shorter space of time to accommodate a 6 week break for the World Cup

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anything lower than seventh probably sees us lose a good player or two.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That cup? At what cost to the PL pursuit?

We finished 7th again in our Europa League season, we coped pretty well with it I think. Playing in Europe raises the profile of the club amongst the media, the public and more importantly people within the game, and if those running the club gave Bruno a few more players to work with then our squad should handle it no problem

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Europa or Conference league would mean we need a bigger squad and also make use of our young guns!!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We finished 7th again in our Europa League season, we coped pretty well with it I think. Playing in Europe raises the profile of the club amongst the media, the public and more importantly people within the game, and if those running the club gave Bruno a few more players to work with then our squad should handle it no problem

I think we have a bit more strength in depth now. If presumably the new competition has even lower ranked teams than the Europe League, there's no reason to play the first XI for the first few matches. In hindsight, I think we went a bit over the top in team selections last time, in those early rounds.

Our Europa League run probably did have a tiring, negative impact on the next season... but was not the main factor. Made us stronger for the experience, in the long run.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I am surprised people want to see Wolves in the Conference League, Walsall could beat some of the teams in it. It's the most pointless competition I have known, and that's saying something. I can understand wanting to be in the Europa League, though the 17 games we played in it were a factor in our poor form last season. It would be nice to finish above Man Utd and Tottenham, whatever it led to.
There are also clubs in there far bigger than us

Back
Top Bottom