Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Would you take 7th?

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we did finish 7th, would we have to play Europa Conference qualifying games (like we did for the Europa?). Or would we go straight into the group stages?

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you get nothing for 7th why take it?
If we get the European Vauxhall (Opel?) Conference then yes take it

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we made 7th and this 3rd tier of european football, wouldnt europe ffp hit us again??

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we made 7th and this 3rd tier of european football, wouldnt europe ffp hit us again??

I think the business model has been designed so that it won't be an issue.

If we run to a break-even/self-sustainability model all the time, if/when we qualify for any European competition, we will easily satisfy UEFA's break-even requirements.

We got sanctioned in 2018/19 because we qualified for Europe far too soon and were still carrying big losses from The Championship season.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've finished 7th before and not got European football

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I voted no.... I think we can get top 6 but if we finish 7th or 8th even it has still been a fantastic season.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If 7th gets Europe then yes, we are in no position to be picky over what European competition we can play in. I, like many, I'd assume, would be overjoyed to have Thursday nights under the lights and abroad back, we have unfinished business and regardless what outsiders will say winning any trophy for a club in our position is something never to be sniffed at.

So yeah, if 7th gets Europe then I am 100% all in.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll be honest; I don't know!!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The team is good enough to get European qualification. A lot of the players have shown how good they can be under Nuno. Its the depth thats the problem, although if we can get a decent version of Neto and Jonny back.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Absolutely would take 7th right now if I could. Still got 15 games to go including Arsenal (A), West Ham (A), City (H), Brighton (H), Chelsea (A) and Liverpool (A). With the size of the squad, a lot hinges on the injured players hitting the ground running if we were to get Champions League. I feel it may be a step too far this season but it's fantastic to be in the conversation.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Europa Conference League is a genuine shot at Europe, with a genuine chance of winning it.

As another poster mentioned before, it's one of those competitions that clubs don't respect until they realise what's on offer.

I'm up for it in a big way. I thought we would struggle this season, at least bottom half, if not bottom third, so 7th would be, in my oponion a massive achievement and arguably a bigger one than Nuno given the restrictions on spending.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think most of us would have taken 7th at the start of the the season. However when you look at the improvement in players such as Saiss and Podence, plus the exciting emergence of Kilman, Toti and Cundle together with the usual excellence of Coady, Moutinho and the brilliant Ruben Neves, I think that top six is not impossible. It will be very tough, but not impossible.

PS - looking at some of the times people posted on this thread, insomnia must be a common thing... :)

They all live the other side of the world. :rolleyes:

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect people will get confused between the Europa league and the Europa conference league. The conference league is the third tier of European football and do we really want to be involved with that and the subsequent Thursday - Sunday issues. I said weeks ago let’s go for fourth position - next three games are Leicester, arsenal and West Ham - let’s see where we after these 3 games.
For me, aside from the wealth generated for the club and the obvious fanfare involved, the Champions League doesn't really appeal.

We have next to no chance of winning the Champs Lge, the best outcome would be to grab the Champs Lge group stage money and fall in to the EL, where we'd have half a chance of picking up a pot.

I would of course have no problem qualifying for the Conference, we'd be amongst the favourites to win it and I couldn't care less it's the tertiary European tournament. The League Cup is England's tertiary tournament and I'd love to win that.

Last edited:

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd like higher than 7th but I'd take it right now if offered off purely for qualifying for European competition again. Those evenings under the lights at the Mol and the away trips were some of my best football memories.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
7th doesn't yet guarantee anything, so, no, with 45 points still to play for there is really no need to just accept it right now.

The FA Cup could be won by a team outside the top 7 and take a European place away, or Leicester could finish outside the top 7 but win the Conference League and so take away a Europa League spot.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever progresses the club. I would think the higher up the table the better.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the start of the season well even around last November I would have taken 7th everyday of the week and twice on Sundays, TBH I would have been delighted with a top half finish after last season.

I definitely think we can finish higher than 7th but would not be disappointed or see it as a failure if we didn't.

7th or above this season would be a hell of a achievement this season for the team and Bruno.

Planty

Groupie
Reaction score
Would love 6th. Get in the Europa again and we might just keep neves.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Absolutely not!

Fight for every point, never give up. Don't listen to the doom mongers...

Keep going Wolves...

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My flabber is well and truly gasted.

To say finishing outside the top 6 is a failure is bonkers.

From where we are and we’re in January - it’s a failure of fosun to not support a top 6 finish .

No way is finishing outside top 6 a failure of Bruno though

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would never turn my nose up at the Euro conference league, but the concern with accepting 7th is the FA Cup winners being below us in the league and bumping us out, and also WHU winning the Europa league and being below us and bumping us out

Unlikely, but 7th is not a guarantee of the Europa conference, and for that reason might as well gamble that we can keep going and 2 of our rivals keep slipping up

We have our tails up, can't say Spurs, Utd or WHU do right now... and if we win the WHU game in a couple of weeks then I doubt even the most pessimistic of Wolves fans would be taking 7th (probably)

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would I take 7th? Maybe not - as others have said, it doesn't guarantee Europe
Would I take a guarantee of Europe, even the Conference League? Yes I bloody would. What a fantastic achievement with such a small squad.
We're exactly where we were in squad terms - we're an injury to Sa, Kilman, Neves or Jimenez away from being significantly weaker.
So guaranteed European football next season? Abso - ****ing - lutely

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd definitely take 6th. If there are players who are pondering their future should Wolves miss out on Europe, I doubt qualifying for the Conference League will persuade them to stay.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes id take 7th now in a heart beat
I still think we are more likely to finish 8th or 9th tbh,but im the eternal pessimist
I said pre season 10th would be a good season for us from where we were then, and that still holds
We have done brilliantly to be in with a shout of Europe at this stage and proved we can mix it with the best,i just think we lack that bit of quality in depth to keep this up
If Jonny and Neto come back anything like it could be on,but thats a big ask to cling to

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would snatch your hand off for 7th right now.

OK everyone wants the champions league and I would be ecstatic if we could pull that off. But finishing 7th gives us an extra £2m merit payment over 8th.

For the 2021-22 season the group stage participation in the Europa conference gets a fixed prize of 2.9m euros, every victory an extra 500k euros and 166 euros for a draw - plus 650k for winning your group.

Its not hard to see that winning the group could add approximately £5m income (on top of the extra £2m for finishing 7th) - plus gate receipts and commercial.

OK its not champions league mega millions, but if by some miracle you won the thing its close to £15m extra in prize money before you consider gate receipts and commercial.

Getting to Europe in any competition must have a positive impact on our players.

Next season we could also have the likes of Cundle. MGW, Sanderson, Giles, Ronan, Gomes etc available to play against some of the micky mouse teams if needed

Champions league would be dreamland but I do think we could finish 5th or 6th - but given how I thought our lack of goals would have us in 15th I would take 7th right now.

Dezzieg-wolves

Reaction score
I'm being greedy. Currently I wouldn't accept 7th as I think we are genuinely in the race for 4th/5th. Ask the same question at the end of the month and my opinion may change.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm in the Bruno camp....One game at a time.Not even thinking of where we will finish,I'm just loving seeing the progress we are making now.I'm still buzzing from yesterday as I know a lot of Wolverhampton based spurs fans,and one turned round and went back down the lane walking his dog,wen he saw me,lol.

having said all that,I do have me euro box on the gew and already have over 300 quid in it.It will be used for a nice summer holiday if we dow mek it.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If 7th lead to a European place then yes that would be a fantastic season for us and I'd "take" it all day long, I've got a feeling only 6th place in the league will guarantee a European spot though, got a sneaky that Leicester will win the Conference and get a spot in the Europa next year which I think would mean 7th wasn't enough?

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knowing of the start of the season, the transfer windows, and our slim squad, hearing either one of the European anthems ring out at Molineux - after a 3RD 7th Place finishes in 4 seasons, would be simply and utterly marvellous!

7th means more prize money extra funds if we make one of the European comps (even the Conference League) and gives us an excellent chance for another deep European run. And that during 2019/2020 hugely lifted the spirit of the city and every fan, knowing how COVID affected our lives.

If 7th lead to a European place then yes that would be a fantastic season for us and I'd "take" it all day long, I've got a feeling only 6th place in the league will guarantee a European spot though, got a sneaky that Leicester will win the Conference and get a spot in the Europa next year which I think would mean 7th wasn't enough?

Conference League winners get the UECL Title Holders berth in the Europa League Group Stage.

And with the League Cup winners being one of Chelsea or Liverpool and both almost sure to finish in the top 4, one club from England will be in the Conference League and who that is, may also come down to if a UCL Winner from England, finishes outside the top 4 like Manchester United and therefore the Europa League and Conference berths are pushed downwards.

It's too complex to figure out! :sweatsmile:

Last edited:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I should probably have stressed that I thought 7th was guaranteed Europa Conference!

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As high as we can. 4th is still on the table. We are unlikely to finish outside the top 10. What a time to be a Wolf!

Rugrats

Reaction score
7th could be a disaster with the extra games to be played whilst most other players are still on their holidays if Fosun continue to not invest.

Back
Top Bottom