Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Would relegation be a good thing?

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In any way? Owner changing his tact, team management, player quality?

O

Oxford_Wolf

I can see some positives.

Young players may break through.
Chance to rebuild Steve Bull and increase capacity at a time when attendances may be lower.
Rebuild fan/player confidence
New young manager encouraging more attractive football.

But one massive negative

Re-promotion is not guaranteed - Championship has some big clubs in it with some big money (Leeds, Forrest, Birmingham, Cardiff and potentially West Ham and QPR) we may not even make the play offs on current form and performances (don't forget we lost to Blues in the Cup), we've been through this before and that didn't work out well.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While the premiership is obviously the place we want to be another season like this would be awful.
If we can bounce straight back 1 season in the Championship would be ok. A chance to re-group, change the playing style and manager, bring in youngsters, rebuild team confidence and for me to go to a few games expecting a win instead of fearing the worst.
We should do well in the Championship. Most of the bigger teams down there have financial problems and we have kept most of the squad who won this league and they have 3 years premiership experience. Of course there are no guarantees - we know what that league can be like!

B

Batman

Chance to rebuild Steve Bull and increase capacity at a time when attendances may be lower.

But one massive negative

Re-promotion is not guaranteed - Championship has some big clubs in it with some big money (Leeds, Forrest, Birmingham, Cardiff and potentially West Ham and QPR) we may not even make the play offs on current form and performances (don't forget we lost to Blues in the Cup), we've been through this before and that didn't work out well.

Agree with all of this. Except for the young manager line. I'd like someone who's been promoted before Bruce/ Hughton/ Holloway

Last edited by a moderator:

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

But one massive negative

Pretty fair assessment Oxford. The other big negative is that if we were to go down, we would in all probability lose the likes of Jarvis and Fletcher so even if we did come straight back up, our squad is likely to be considerably weaker than it is now. Relegation would probably set us back 3-5 years.

Completely agree that the Championship is going to be horrendous to try and get out of next year. Potentially big clubs like Leeds, Birmingham, West Ham, Forest. Sides with managers who have proven records of promotion (Leeds again, Middlesbrough, Blackpool. Teams prepared to throw lots of money into going up (Leicester, Ipswich and probably QPR). And that's before the perennial play-off challengers like Reading and Cardiff.

We could just as easily finish 14th as 1st. Let's just stay up this year instead...

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tring Wolf
We could just as easily finish 14th as 1st. Let's just stay up this year instead...

We are free wheeling into the "division from hell" and the board know so and appear to have accepted the fact.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks to me that we need a complete rebuild and I can't realistically see that happening in the PL as the club just doesn't have the money required to do so.So yes relegation should be seen as some sort of natural process that allows regeneration to take place when a side has got to the end of its cycle! (bit like some plants germinating only after a big fire!) I think the really big question though is whether we can even hope to rebuild at Championship level because of the chaotic state of affairs at the club at the moment.

S

Sharples

Aside from WHU and Leicester I dont see any clubs who have 'big money'.

It will be tough to go back up, think we would pull it off though as we wouldn't lose many players.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It hasn't been a bad thing for the baggies has it? They've grown each time they've come down and learnt lessons for when they got back up as this season is showing. Perhaps we need to do the same sort of thing as we operate in quite a similar manner. As depressing as relegation is even if we were down for 2/3 seasons we could be changing our ways so that if we got back up our methods from the off would be more beneficial. West brom sacks do Matteo when things started to look bad, appointed hodgson and look at them! Perhaps we would act that way in future regarding the management instead of our outlook of not being a hiring and firing club blah blah blah. Alot of this could possibly have been avoided if a replacement manager was found months ago when mick looked like he'd gone as far as he could and the team stalled but we've covered that to death already!

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That example was obvious that I just used but it's the most glaring on from a fans perspective but I'm sure there are many things that looking back Morgan would want to do differently, I expect a new CEO would may be part of the changes as well.

P

Paul76

I think after being thumped, week in, week out for the last three seasons, the Championship will be a refreshing break where us fans can begin to enjoy the football again.

Our dream of being a big club competing in the Premiership is going to have to put on ice I'm afraid. The last three seasons have just reaffirmed to me that we're out of our depth. As things currently stand, we're merely making up the numbers. Our primary focus is to merely survive. The best thing we can hope for is finish in the bottom eight.

I won't lose a moments sleep when we're relegated. I'm rather looking forward to going back to our home, the Championship.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need more footballing men involved, not saying at board level but regarding the running of the football side, for example Gerry Francis at stoke. Looks after things above pulis doesn't he? Might have that wrong

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think after being thumped, week in, week out for the last three seasons, the Championship will be a refreshing break where us fans can begin to enjoy the football again.

Our dream of being a big club competing in the Premiership is going to have to put on ice I'm afraid. The last three seasons have just reaffirmed to me that we're out of our depth. As things currently stand, we're merely making up the numbers. Our primary focus is to merely survive. The best thing we can hope for is finish in the bottom eight.

I won't lose a moments sleep when we're relegated. I'm rather looking forward to going back to our home, the Championship.
Let's not call it our 'home' as such! It's hopefully more temporary accommodation :)

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should still act and work in a premiership manner even if in the championship, obviously not money wise and wages but from top to bottom of everyday things.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
The key thing will be the next managerial appointment. 6 years ago they got exactly the right man at the right time. 4 weeks ago, they got it incredibly wrong. If we don't get the right man in the Summer, we could be looking at another long spell away from the flight.

I'm cautiously/naively optimistic that we'll get someone decent.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We probably tried to run before we could walk as they say and perhaps taking te approach of 1 step back 2 forward is needed to actually grow into what all of want from owner to fans so that we can be an established prem club.

F

FLEET WOLF

That example was obvious that I just used but it's the most glaring on from a fans perspective but I'm sure there are many things that looking back Morgan would want to do differently, I expect a new CEO would may be part of the changes as well.

A new CEO is all very well, but if Morgan continues to not put enough money in for players and wages, even if we are promoted from the Championship, it will just be the same thing again.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
in answer to the opening question - no.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The key thing will be the next managerial appointment. 6 years ago they got exactly the right man at the right time. 4 weeks ago, they got it incredibly wrong. If we don't get the right man in the Summer, we could be looking at another long spell away from the flight.

I'm cautiously/naively optimistic that we'll get someone decent.

I to believe that this is a major point but getting the right man may mean it takes 2-3 seasons before returning.

albell

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
in answer to the opening question - no.

I agree.

It's hard to find genuine positives from relegation even though I really don't like the Premier League.

One very minor consolation is not having to feel dirty every week by wanting Man U/Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal etc to beat the 'smaller' teams. It'll be nice cheering on the underdog again. Like I say, a very minor consolation...

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
So papering over the cracks and continued struggle is a better option?

why struggle? its not the only option put the right structure in place you dont have to go down to do that. dont keep believing this looser mentality that you cant do this, you cant expect that.

F

Forever Wolves

I think relegation is the only positive outcome for us. A chance to re-group, rid the dead wood, hopefully get a real manager in and start again.

If we somehow manage to stay up we'll be in exactly this position next season. We need a new back 4, a couple of new midfielders and a striker to compete in this division, they won't all arrive in the summer, we know that.

Look at Albion (and Bolton back in the day) they wen't up and down quite a few times yet eventually something clicks and you start to look like you belong.

I remember Albion mates of mine thinking they were going to stay up under Mowbray, yet they went back down again only to come back a lot stronger. It's not the end of the world, with the right manager and reasonable backing (over to the 2 M's on that front) we should be very competitive next season.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course relegation will not be a good thing.

Redevelopment now started will not continue and the new stand will start to loom over a less than full Molineux like a concrete spectre.

No manager at present and from all the inside info posted on here it seems currently they have not a clue who is coming and what any rebuild of the playing side might look like.

A real posssibility then that the slide might not stop at the Championship.

The notion that history might repeat itself and someone will 'do a Mick' is less likely.

Before anyone mentions YO-YO. WWFC have spent 3 seasons in the GL and were convinced it would be a fourth. If the YO-YO method was to be the case I take that to mean a season in GL, followed by a season in the Championship while the 'plan' and build of the squad gathered pace.

The plan such as it was at the club was flawed due to what now looks like the delusional idea that everything was rosy.

Having spent five years building for the GL it seems the 'foundations' were built on sand and the whole structure is falling apart.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we get promoted next season then yes, yes it would be.

If we don't, then it would be terrible.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
never a good thing to get relegated.

yes - we will win more games etc etc - but I'd take being in the GL over the Championship anyday of the week.

Hopefully - we'll storm the league - and get confidence/respect back.

It all depends on who comes down with us - the best two would be Wigan and Bolton.

If it is QPR - they'll chuck more money at it - and walk it -probably.

Bolton/Wigan will lose more players and struggle

As long as we keep the nucleus together -and get rid of the fringe players and inevitble leavers like: henessey, jarvis, Doyle, Fletcher etc - we should do fine

But NEVER a good thing to get relegated

Bull Army

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

You must be joking if you think the Steve Bull will even be touched whilst we're in the Championship. It won't, and what's more, we'll need at least another 3 years in the Prem before we can afford to redevelop it.

E

Essex Wolf

In any way? Owner changing his tact, team management, player quality?

No offence meant Ashley but pointless question seeing as it will be happening whether we like it or not.

Problem as I see it is that I honestly don't believe Wolves will make a comeback with the set up and personel that curently run the place.

D

dazmanwolf

The fans would enjoy a higher win ratio.
Young blood would come through the ranks.
A new manager would bring new hope.

All in all it isn't all bad if we get relegated.

E

Essex Wolf

The fans would enjoy a higher win ratio.
Young blood would come through the ranks.
A new manager would bring new hope.

All in all it isn't all bad if we get relegated.

True to a degree but what happens when the new manager and young blood start doing a good job and run the risk of promotion?

Going by the attitude of Morgan and Moxey clearly PL football is not something they appear too interested in so should Wolves go up we can expect the same aproach all over again. This season has been a disaster and I don't like the thought of a repeat.

D

dazmanwolf

True to a degree but what happens when the new manager and young blood start doing a good job and run the risk of promotion?

Going by the attitude of Morgan and Moxey clearly PL football is not something they appear too interested in so should Wolves go up we can expect the same aproach all over again. This season has been a disaster and I don't like the thought of a repeat.

I believe the 2M's will have learned alot from this seasons cluster $$$$! The plan will have to be tweaked and reality checks will be listened to.:D

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we re-group and blood several youngsters we won't bounce back immediately but if it all gels under a progressive manager, going back up in two or three years might make us a more established Prem club than just going back with more or less the same as we have now. If we keep these players and playing style we will probably come right back up and then go right back down again.

F

FLEET WOLF

If we re-group and blood several youngsters we won't bounce back immediately but if it all gels under a progressive manager, going back up in two or three years might make us a more established Prem club than just going back with more or less the same as we have now. If we keep these players and playing style we will probably come right back up and then go right back down again.

If we win the CHampionship at the first time of asking (assuming we are relegated), and the Club continues with the current financial constraints on particularly wages, we might as well tell the PL, that we don't want to go up and would rather stay in the Championship, in all honesty.

M

Monkey Man

Relegation is NEVER a good thing. Just have a look at the list of big clubs who have drifted into League 1, some were financially screwed some were ok. Once the cancer of defeatism takes over it is VERY difficult to shake off. We need to have a Summer of complete change to rid ourselves of the stench of losing.

We currently wreak of it.

Back
Top Bottom