Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves v Braga Verdict

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Biggest change this season is that we don’t have the chances to counter attack teams like we did last season.

Teams are respecting us more, especially at home. We are having much more of the ball further up the field, but doing very little with it. It’s slow and laboured, unlike our fast-paced countering last season.

More possession means more chances that something goes wrong for the players that aren’t as good on the ball (Bennett tonight for example).

We need another centre back that’s good on the ball and an attacking central midfield player that can unlock a tight defence. MGW showed glimpses tonight, but he’s not quite ready.

For all those reasons above, I can see us having a much better away record this season than at home.

Wardy129

Reaction score
And as I said Saturday. Just because we were **** for many years doesn’t mean as a paying fan we can’t complain at the manner of performances of late!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Played well. Not getting the luck at the moment. I enjoyed the game despite losing.

Nuno on bt sport looking a bit depressed, but nothing too worrying.

We have to try to start our first team and especially Jota. Neves played well, dendonxker need a good rest as does Raul.

I’m a supporter of Bennett but every ball was backwards apart from the one that gave the goal away. Need to put him im a box think, don’t let him pass forward.

need to stick with them - were a good team.

come on you wolves!

We watched a totally different game.

D

Deleted member 5910

It was better than Chelsea, but I'm not sure how Nuno expects us to compete if we can only put 75% into games. That wasn't a good side we just lost to; there are a number of Championship sides who can be well organised if they face up to a tired team that lack intensity. There were spells of good momentum (few, far between and mitigated by "cunning" Braga tactics), but even in fairly advanced areas, our aim it seemed was to pump the ball back to Coady and start from scratch each time, which allowed them to drop deep as a block. In the end, the mistake by Bennett has been punished, but saying, "Every mistake is costing us goals currently" is nonsense; we made plenty of mistakes in possession tonight and throughout the season that haven't been punished.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rui - Nothing to report
Doherty - 7.5
Bennett - 6
Coady - Nothing to report
Boly - 7
Jonny - 8
Dendoncker - 2
MGW - 7.5
Neves - 6
Cutrone - 7
Raul - 7.5

Nuno - Three flat midfielders consisting of the utterly pointless Dendoncker, bringing MGW off during arguably his best game for Wolves, poor decisions.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wing backs were crap tonight. No pace or real attacking threat. Doc looks like he is walking through treacle! Cant believe anyone thought that was a good performance tonight to be honest. Most Prem sides would have beaten Braga who I thought we made look good at times due to our central midfield being non existent yet again and leaving huge gaps and space for them. Our style of play seems to have gone way backwards and we are now treated to Ryan Bennetts long throws. What has happened?

Equally baffling how many thought bringing Doherty in for the only player looking like creating anything in an attacking sense would somehow make us a better outfit.

R

reanswolf

The first things to clear up. This is nothing to do with fatigue or luck.

We performed above our ability last season and have committed a cardinal sin by resting on our laurels.

Our transfer window was lacklustre at best. How on earth can it be so bleeding obvious to everyone how much we required a midfielder capable of running through the middle and breaking down defensive sides? And yet we addressed that by selling Cavaleiro, buying Cutrone (who I do like and may be a useful asset) and bringing in a defender who by my reckoning looks no better than what we have.

Good sides strengthen when they're at their strongest. Why we thought we could maintain the same depth of squad with a blatantly obvious demand in games is beyond me.

What worries me most is our lack of creativity. Without Traore we create zilch. Absolutely nothing. And yet he's the first man to be criticised. The first to be dropped at any opportunity.

Listen, I'm not getting overly dramatic and calling for heads, stating that we're in for a tough season etc. But I'm really annoyed how much we've almost arrogantly assumed we're going to be successful this campaign from the top down.
Great post.

Its bizarre, as I had so much faith in Wolves to assess the situation, but you sum it up perfectly. Oh boy did we need fresh ideas with an attacking midfielder.
What an opportunity missed, so typical of Wolves.
Tonight we came up against really decent opposition, mobile, fluid, fast - and made us look so predictable in our build-up play. Mind you, everyone has.
I'm dreading Palace and Watford now and we really need to get a break.
Summer was a huge mistake by the club, though I know it's not easy.

Positives tonight? Johnny was excellent and MGW possibly had his best game for the club. Boly was very good, and Coady and Bennett solid (except for the one error).

I wonder how the club will feel about losing to Braga? And I mean no disrespect to them as they played some excellent football. But Wolves, supposedly with such financial power and so many Portuguese stars, beaten by little Braga.

bilstonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Don’t get this ‘oh but we were playing Oldham and other crap so be grateful’. The point is we’re not anymore, that team bares next to no resemblance to this one. We can only compare ourselves to last season and by that comparison we are currently ****

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
It's not nice at the moment. We're going through a bad patch and anything that could go wrong is going wrong. We had a similar poor run last October/November.

Now is not the time to panic. One win and the confidence will come back and things will improve quickly. It's difficult to see a win coming at the moment but it always feels like that before the win comes, like Chelsea at home last season. It's uncomfortable right now but we need to hold our nerve. Any talk of Nuno being replaced is nonsense and reactionary. All teams go though bad patches. This is Nuno's second in 2 and a bit seasons.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would like a journalist to ask Santo why he has Neves playing so deep. I can't claim to really know anything about tactics, but it just doesn't look like we are getting the best out of him. He's not as good as De Bruyne overall, but Neves has a similar passing range. It just seems he's being wasted at the moment.

D

Deleted member 4124

I am no footy manager. But why dedonker plays further forward than Neves is beyond me.
Yeah we brought in a midfielder who played an entire season as a centre back and he's the one who's always lurking around the opponent's penalty area. It's odd. Even when we have Saiss (who's also a switch CB), Neves is still the deepest.
I get that he, and Nuno, may want him to play the Pirlo role (since that's his hero) but we just aren't good enough to utilise a player in that role yet.

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought we did ok, defensive mistake again but other than that could have sneaked it, some of our play was getting back to what we are about. UTD were ***** in Europe under Fergie for three seasons we have got to learn and move on

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was better than Chelsea, but I'm not sure how Nuno expects us to compete if we can only put 75% into games. That wasn't a good side we just lost to; there are a number of Championship sides who can be well organised if they face up to a tired team that lack intensity. There were spells of good momentum (few, far between and mitigated by "cunning" Braga tactics), but even in fairly advanced areas, our aim it seemed was to pump the ball back to Coady and start from scratch each time, which allowed them to drop deep as a block. In the end, the mistake by Bennett has been punished, but saying, "Every mistake is costing us goals currently" is nonsense; we made plenty of mistakes in possession tonight and throughout the season that haven't been punished.
I feel a team of better quality than Braga would have absolutely pounded us tonight. Nuno really needs to get the tactics board out and have a rethink, players are out of form and sticking with a failing tactic will only make them mentally feel worse (and thus perform worse). Switch it up, start something fresh and hopefully it'll inspire.

S

ShropshireLad

We played well but Bennett who I've previously supported made too many wayward passes tonight and lost possession which led to their goal.

Cutrone had 3 chances where he should have hit the target but missed on each occasion.

Braga played very well and although it seemed like a draw would be fair I'm going to admit that they deserved their win as they defended well and we didn't test their keeper much...Neves shot excepted.

The Fat Bloke

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you enjoyed midweek games against Stevenage and Oldham go and watch Walsall. That’s such a small club mentality. You make it sound like we don’t deserve to be here.

Our owners have said such things in the past like money is no object, and that they’re taking us into the Elite if world football, they’ve got plans in place to redevelop the ground. You’ll have to forgive us if hopes and expectations were raised.
Did you even read what I said you fool.

I am saying that people need to get a grip with all the moaning and remember where we were and where we are now.

S

ShropshireLad

I would like a journalist to ask Santo why he has Neves playing so deep. I can't claim to really know anything about tactics, but it just doesn't look like we are getting the best out of him. He's not as good as De Bruyne overall, but Neves has a similar passing range. It just seems he's being wasted at the moment.
Fair point.

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Either Nuno can't see what is happening (a crime) or Neves is completely dissobeying tactical orders (crime).

Because we don't actually play with a back 3 or a back 5. We play 4 at the back, Bennet RB and Boly LB with Coady and Neves in the middle ... And it wasn't just one piece of play, I watched Neves all game and he must have spent a total of 3 mins in the centre of midfield.

Occasion after occasion Neves dropped into Coadys pocket to get the ball to then stroll forward about 5 years and then pass it .... All this whilst Dendonker held Doherty's hand and MGW held Jonny's hand. There was a 20 metre circle time after time smack bang in the middle of the pitch occupied by Braga players and the referee!

We surrendered the middle of the pitch from the start ... So it's one of two things, the players aren't doing as instructed or Nuno cannot see this is happening ... Whichever of the 2 it is, it is criminal.

We look devoid of ideas both players and tactically, tired physically and tired mentally.

Something needs to change, I don't get to go to games very often due to work and tonight was the first game I have seen at the Mol, seen a few on TV but the way we set up, the way we give up territory so easily and the way we just look Clueless on and off the pitch is very alarming and concerning!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel a team of better quality than Braga would have absolutely pounded us tonight. Nuno really needs to get the tactics board out and have a rethink, players are out of form and sticking with a failing tactic will only make them mentally feel worse (and thus perform worse). Switch it up, start something fresh and hopefully it'll inspire.

Again. Totally agree. Braga arent that special but we let them play due to the tactics we seem to employ of letting opposing teams have too much possession and our midfield being non existent with Neves playing as a centre back and Dendoncker vanishing.

DarloWolf

Reaction score
Yes and longer ago than that we were the best team in the world but we are talking about the present and at the moment we are very poor ( resorting to Bennets long throws sums it up).
We look so much better when we take the game to the opposition and play at pace... we are predictable everything is going down the wings to the extent that MGW and Donk were playing as extra wide men and we had no central midfielder with Neves sitting so deep.

Our better players tonight were Jonny and Boly with Cutrone playing well in the first half but needing to put at least one of those chances away.
From going from one of the most entertaining sides to watch in the last couple of seasons to this is very alarming.
Jonny was ****

Antonline1987

Groupie
Reaction score
We need a new formation we are predictable and lack any real attacking theat atm also the defence is letting us down massively

S

ShropshireLad

Equally baffling how many thought bringing Doherty in for the only player looking like creating anything in an attacking sense would somehow make us a better outfit.
Equally baffling is why Jota didn't start. He made us look a lot better along with Traore.

Cutrone's three attempts which I witnessed (missed the first 15 minutes) all missed the target.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do we always surrender the central midfield?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Either Nuno can't see what is happening (a crime) or Neves is completely dissobeying tactical orders (crime).

Because we don't actually play with a back 3 or a back 5. We play 4 at the back, Bennet RB and Boly LB with Coady and Neves in the middle ... And it wasn't just one piece of play, I watched Neves all game and he must have spent a total of 3 mins in the centre of midfield.

Occasion after occasion Neves dropped into Coadys pocket to get the ball to then stroll forward about 5 years and then pass it .... All this whilst Dendonker held Doherty's hand and MGW held Jonny's hand. There was a 20 metre circle time after time smack bang in the middle of the pitch occupied by Braga players and the referee!

We surrendered the middle of the pitch from the start ... So it's one of two things, the players aren't doing as instructed or Nuno cannot see this is happening ... Whichever of the 2 it is, it is criminal.

We look devoid of ideas both players and tactically, tired physically and tired mentally.

Something needs to change, I don't get to go to games very often due to work and tonight was the first game I have seen at the Mol, seen a few on TV but the way we set up, the way we give up territory so easily and the way we just look Clueless on and off the pitch is very alarming and concerning!

Spot on!

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The sooner this false hope of glory in Europe is over the better. We ain’t anywhere near good enough, I’d just rather not be playing Derby again next season.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great post.

Its bizarre, as I had so much faith in Wolves to assess the situation, but you sum it up perfectly. Oh boy did we need fresh ideas with an attacking midfielder.
What an opportunity missed, so typical of Wolves.
Tonight we came up against really decent opposition, mobile, fluid, fast - and made us look so predictable in our build-up play. Mind you, everyone has.
I'm dreading Palace and Watford now and we really need to get a break.
Summer was a huge mistake by the club, though I know it's not easy.

Positives tonight? Johnny was excellent and MGW possibly had his best game for the club. Boly was very good, and Coady and Bennett solid (except for the one error).

I wonder how the club will feel about losing to Braga? And I mean no disrespect to them as they played some excellent football. But Wolves, supposedly with such financial power and so many Portuguese stars, beaten by little Braga.

Thanks mate,

I thought it when the window closed, but refrained from saying anything overly negative on the basis that I trusted Nuno's managerial ability to prove me wrong, but sadly it doesn't seem to be that way.

I saw Nabil Fekir go to Real Betis for 17 million. He'd have been a perfect signing for us, but that's just one of many names I could list who'd fill the void where we most require it.

For the foreseeable I'd play Jota in the number 10 role behind Jimenez and Cutrone and certainly play Traore wherever possible.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 defeats on the bounce is a worry when you combine it with our poor form. We were better tonight, but nothing more than OK. We need a win we dont deserve of a lucky goal to kick start us.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you even read what I said you fool.

I am saying that people need to get a grip with all the moaning and remember where we were and where we are now.

I read it. Thought it was small club mentality. Told you it was. Told you why people have high expectations these days. I’m struggling to see your problem understanding this.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

People are overreacting to this performance, but given the context of the rest of the season that is understandable. We played like that a ton last year and got points/snuck wins. Rub of green not with us and we are making mistakes - not a good combo but we are still a good side. Keep the faith.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Equally baffling is why Jota didn't start. He made us look a lot better along with Traore.

Cutrone's three attempts which I witnessed (missed the first 15 minutes) all missed the target.

Totally agree. Against such sides, Jota should be prioritized to start ahead of Jimenez.

Back
Top Bottom