Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves v Braga Verdict

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was okay. I don't think we created too many clear cut opportunities. It was a controlled performance without being threatening. A bad mistake from Bennett cost us, plus Cutrone should really have hit the target in the first half.

I do wish we would start games with more energy rather than standing off the opposition. We also need to get Neves further up the field. He is wasted playing alongside Coady, because that's where he's getting the ball most of the time.

Doherty looked to be getting back to his old self. I thought it was a poor decision from Santo to take Gibbs-White off rather than Dendoncker. Dendoncker didn't have a great night, and Gibbs-White always looked positive. He didn't always get his pass correct, but he was constantly looking forward.

Hopefully we can kick on and improve for the game against Palace.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Much better performance than recent weeks. Kept possession well (mostly) and created chances.
We play much better when we move the ball quicker and we did that bit missed chances.
A little bit of luck and we will be ok

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always start the game too slow. Always looking crap in central midfield. Never take control of a game this season. Set up to start games too defensively every game. Huge gaps in midfield. Not good enough. Dreadful start to the season and we need a win ASAP. Palace game is big. Play like we did tonight and leave gaps like we did tonight at the start and various points in the second half and we will be turned over on Sunday.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some on here need a reality check.

Not this thread in particular but many recent ones.

Not long back a midweek game was at Stevenage and Oldham ffs.

So we lost a game in Europe, so we played poorly, but come on, some of the comments are crazy.

Can't keep saying about where we were 4 years ago, that was rubbish and it has been for weeks. Changes will be made if such performances continue, let alone the results.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So we lost a game in Europe, so we played poorly, but come on, some of the comments are crazy.
I don’t get comments like this, yes we used to be in league one And now we’re in Europe so we can’t vent our frustration at constantly poor performances? We need to focus on the present and presently we are struggling

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's about 14 months out of date. We have one of the richest owners in the Premier League, seasoned internationals throughout the side and training facilities that could match nearly any club in Europe. Being happy we're not playing Stevenage is a load of guff!

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bar Cutrone who ran his socks off awful!

Played with 10 men with Neves on the pitch

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes and longer ago than that we were the best team in the world but we are talking about the present and at the moment we are very poor ( resorting to Bennets long throws sums it up).
We look so much better when we take the game to the opposition and play at pace... we are predictable everything is going down the wings to the extent that MGW and Donk were playing as extra wide men and we had no central midfielder with Neves sitting so deep.

Our better players tonight were Jonny and Boly with Cutrone playing well in the first half but needing to put at least one of those chances away.
From going from one of the most entertaining sides to watch in the last couple of seasons to this is very alarming.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno is under real pressure now. How patient will Fosun be?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Game should have been 0-0, we huffed and puffed but never looked like scoring, and then gift them the winner. Frustrating because Braga were utter utter ****e. Their diving and time wasting was a disgrace. If that’s European football you can stick it.

F

Fleet Wolf 2

Bolt superb, but we are lacking a spark for me and a bit worried

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fortunate that Besiktas lost tonight.

Braga weren't really any better than Torino but against Torino we were ruthlessly clinical with every chance. Tonight we passed up two or three fabulous opportunities at this level and they took their only clear moment.

Poor pass from Bennett but giving away the ball right on the touchline 60 yards from our goal shouldn't automatically mean that the opponent is odds-on to score.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dendonker was very poor, again. Without Moutinho in this team, we’re never winning a game, ever.

Why is Neves playing in defence?

Bennett for the goal? Meh

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Overall terrible performance against an opposition we should beat every day of the week.
Braga certainly ain´t no worldbeaters,,then again,neither are we.
More of the same stuff..defensive errors the opponents doesn´t make.
Central midfield completely nil.Wingbacks not offering enough going forward.
Forwards misclicking.

Looks like the team is still on holidays.
Lowest I felt under Nuno.The way we are playing right now we´ll play Chumpionship next season.
The sooner the better everyone in and around the team realise it.
Deeply concerned.We are in deep warm stinky brown stuff.

Would snap anyone´s hand off for a point at Palace..cause the way we´re going there are gonna be rien,nothing.

Terrible performance? Really? That’s an over reaction for me. One sloppy pass in the middle of the park and they break well for the goal, and that’s it. That aside the defence looked much more solid, a very 50/50 game, with us having the better of the play.

Luck not going with us at the moment, but that’s common for a team on a poor streak and lacking confidence.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely time to put to bed the myth that Traore's inclusion brings with it a lack of defensive solidity. Utter nonsense. He's the only one who does anything in an attacking sense. As for Sunday: I'd like to see...

Patricio

Adama Bennett Dendoncker Boly Vinagre

Saiss Moutinho

Jota

Raul Cutrone

Obviously won't happen, but there you go.

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think we deserved to lose but we're certainly lacking dynamism in attack, Besiktas lost too so no need to despair just yet! Up the Wolves

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Such a frustrating result because I think on balance of play, we just about deserved a win. Credit to Braga for setting up in the right formation, effectively stifling us and taking their chance.

Lined up quite defensively with the wing backs and weren't quick enough to adapt to the situation in the game.

Nothing particularly wrong with Boly or Coady, although it was clear that Braga forwards had the beating of Coady when they had the chance. Nature of the game, most football was played in the Braga half.

Bennett was poor. Couple of good tackles, but sloppy on the ball prior to the error, and the mistake he made shot his confidence, which really stymied our flow.

Doherty was anonymous. Jonny got forward well and contributed positively towards the game.

Didn't see very much of Dendoncker. Slightly improved performance from Neves and a positive performance from Gibbs-White. Some nice touches, quick feet and a desire to move with the ball forward. Some sloppiness too, and I'm not convinced he'll make the grade really, but at the moment, a useful option in a decent vein of form.

With Cutrone, so much of his game is effort that he became a passenger after about 60 minutes. Has a reasonably good first touch but didn't do a huge amount. Missed a couple of chances too.

Jimenez really poor today. Barely saw him involved and scuffed some chances. We've been very reliant on him as a complete striker and when he doesn't perform, our whole shape collapses.

Off the bench, Moutinho played some okay passes and set pieces but wasn't really the right substitution at the time. He's a calm, composed player, and it wasn't composure we were lacking in the middle 0-0, it was creativity and incision.

Jota was played too wide for my liking and struggled to make an impact, except towards the end. I will always admire his tenacity on the ball.

Traore didn't get the ball in many useful positions, but did what he does well, when given the chance.

In terms of shape, I can appreciate the desire to increase solidity at the back with Doherty and Jonny, but it seems Nuno misread Braga completely. They came for a 0-0 and we played right into their hands.

Going to 3 up top towards the end very clearly didn't work. Our probably wasn't lack of attacking players, so adding more of them achieves nothing. There were huge gaps between midfield and attack and we weren't nearly compact enough in the middle. All we really did was sacrifice midfield competitiveness for another body in the box.

I don't think I've ever leveled a meaningful criticism of Nuno's game strategy before, but he was completely outwitted today. Wrong shape to start, substitutions came too late, and clearly a very jumbled and mismatched plan B. Didn't look like we did much research on Braga at all.

Positives:

Gibbs White
Jonny
Level of effort

Negatives

Jimenez
Bennett
Nuno

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good players don't become bad, get a result against palace and we will be up and running.

D

Deleted member 4152

Dendonker was very poor, again. Without Moutinho in this team, we’re never winning a game, ever.

Neves popped up a couple of times in their half, and guess what? He created dangerous positions. No idea, in a month of sundays why he is playing so deep, it has to be because he has been told to, and I just don’t understand it at all.

R

reanswolf

I don't like picking on any individuals, but I have to agree Dendoncker was very poor, compared to the Braga midfield creating zilch. Midfield really is the problem for me.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves popped up a couple of times in their half, and guess what? He created dangerous positions. No idea, in a month of sundays why he is playing so deep, it has to be because he has been told to, and I just don’t understand it at all.
He doesn't do it for Portugal, must be the tactic, drives me mad.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Played well. Not getting the luck at the moment. I enjoyed the game despite losing.

Nuno on bt sport looking a bit depressed, but nothing too worrying.

We have to try to start our first team and especially Jota. Neves played well, dendonxker need a good rest as does Raul.

I’m a supporter of Bennett but every ball was backwards apart from the one that gave the goal away. Need to put him im a box think, don’t let him pass forward.

need to stick with them - were a good team.

come on you wolves!

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good players don't become bad, get a result against palace and we will be up and running.

Do you see us getting a result against Palace the way we've played? As it stands I expect nothing.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Played well. Not getting the luck at the moment. I enjoyed the game despite losing.

Nuno on bt sport looking a bit depressed, but nothing too worrying.

We have to try to start our first team and especially Jota. Neves played well, dendonxker need a good rest as does Raul.

I’m a supporter of Bennett but every ball was backwards apart from the one that gave the goal away. Need to put him im a box think, don’t let him pass forward.

need to stick with them - were a good team.

come on you wolves!

Me and you watched a very different game.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If you enjoyed midweek games against Stevenage and Oldham go and watch Walsall. That’s such a small club mentality. You make it sound like we don’t deserve to be here.

Our owners have said such things in the past like money is no object, and that they’re taking us into the Elite if world football, they’ve got plans in place to redevelop the ground. You’ll have to forgive us if hopes and expectations were raised.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must be losing my marbles as I thought we were improved. Gibbs White, Cutrone promising. Periods of good possession... just needed to finish those chances. There's a lot of negativity on here but the match could have gone our way tonight. Fine margin .

Wardy129

Reaction score
The utterly frustrating Thing is the play we have come to love we are only seeing when we go behind with 20 mins to spare.

Doherty just not good enough and bone idol.

Bennett is not a ball playing centre half and is completely the opposite of the style we try to play.

What is the point of coady really? Neves that deep tonight do we even need coady? Does he offer anything at all.

Quick to write of Traores end product but jeez MGW is more frustrating.

People can say we have been figured out however there is no reason for how deep we are now playing, how slow we are playing the ball out, how far apart our midfielders are, how slow our biggest asset the counter attack is and how slow we are into the tackle.

Even Nunos body language tonight summed everything up. Small clap then straight down the tunnel.

What the heck is going on?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wing backs were crap tonight. No pace or real attacking threat. Doc looks like he is walking through treacle! Cant believe anyone thought that was a good performance tonight to be honest. Most Prem sides would have beaten Braga who I thought we made look good at times due to our central midfield being non existent yet again and leaving huge gaps and space for them. Our style of play seems to have gone way backwards and we are now treated to Ryan Bennetts long throws. What has happened?

Back
Top Bottom