Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves open to offers for Costa and Cavaleiro

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
Wolves open to offers for duo

I appreciate it's not entirely new news but figured it deserves it's own thread. I personally feel quite sad about this, we all knew this was coming with our progression but feel quite attached to both players, Cav especially.

Coincidently, both players are on holiday in Cape Verde with each other right now. Were training together yesterday in their Wolves shorts no less...

Screenshot_20190611-080317_Instagram.jpg

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although the writing has been on the wall for both of them in the ruthless Fosun era and we knew this was coming it’s with a heavy heart now we see it’s pretty much offical they’re going

Great lads that have both given us such amazing memories and deserve great send offs if and when these moves go through.

I’d prefer moves abroad for them, too fond of them to see them lining up for the Villa or someone like that. More comfortable with the thought of them returning home or to Monaco

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would rather keep Cav and sell Traore and Costa.

Guessing £8m Cav and £5m Costa. One of them will go to Villa.

I agree, I'd keep Cav who hasn't had much of a chance, Costa on the other hand has shown in the Premiership he needs a different club but in the Championship obviously.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad but we need to progress, I thought that Europa might give them an opportunity to push on but we are not going down that route by the sound of it; I agree with @WW1963 that Cavaleiro should have been the one to retain, he is a decent player and scores goals but lacked a bit of sharpness last season due to limited game time (that was my take on it..).
Good luck to them both if they leave, they played a big part in the Fosun revolution.

Last edited:

db86

Groupie
Reaction score
Wish them both well if they do leave, clearly upgrades/alternatives are being looked at and explored so we have to respect Nuno etc. on that call.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
If Helder can get his confidence back, there is still one hell of a player there. Gave Arsenal, Man City and Man Utd a torrid time last season (and played well against Robertson on his international debut for Portugal). Somebody could get a huge bargain if they can get him firing again.

I’d keep Cav unless we got a ridiculous offer for him. Provides cover across the front-line and we know he’s hugely effective as a substitute.

Would be sad to see either leave.

W

we8wba

Both flatter to deceive at this level on a consistent level which at the end is what it’s about

Have soft spot for both but long as we recruit to higher standard then they can both leave with a heavy heart

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guessing £8m Cav and £5m Costa. One of them will go to Villa.

I think you might have undershot a little there.

Yes, Costa has a bad season last year, but he still played in 31 games and is still only 25.

So a 25 year old player who cost £13m in The Championship, had 2 great seasons, then gets promoted and plays in 31 games, isn’t going to be worth a lot less than what was paid for him.

Same sort of logic for Cav.

I would expect somewhere around £10-15m for each of them.

modenawolf

Reaction score
I'd be sorry to see them leave (I still think Cav in particular has something to offer) but I think it's inevitable that at least one of them will be out the door. I hope for their sakes that Mendes can find them a decent move, rather than them ending up at Leeds or Huddersfield...

We should always be grateful for Costa's contribution in Fosun's first year (without him we'd probably have been relegated) and Cav's numbers in our Championship promotion season were excellent.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think its been obvious for a long time that Nuno doesnt fancy Cav in the team,and Costa has just not performed in the Prem
No room for sentiment nowadays,if we can get better and decent money for them move them on with a big thank you,next

M

Mr Wolf

The style we play now doesn’t suit their strengths, good to see the club trying to kick on.

We should get over £10m for both quite easily.

S

ShropshireLad

The style we play now doesn’t suit their strengths, good to see the club trying to kick on.

We should get over £10m for both quite easily.
It's not that long ago that we paid out £22 million for them. We'll have to take a big loss.

SheldonWolf

Reaction score
This is really positive news! If we detach ourselves from the emotion for a minute......both have been decent (not great or loyal, but decent) servants to the club, contributed heavily in our promotion season and I genuinely wish them all the best and no ill will. You can't have any loyalty in football if you want to progress, you can treat people in the right way when there's a change in need, but loyalty will get you mediocrity at best, relegated at worst.

But..... to my point If we're getting rid of players of this quality - players who could hold their own in a bottom third Premier League team. Then that speaks volumes for where the club is looking and the vision quality of future signings.

D

Deleted member 3751

Will be sad to see either go but Costa really struggled last year. If they leave then really do wish them all the best.

Imagine if they do go, two transfer records, start of the Fosun revolution, moved on inside three years and neither viewed as a waste of money (which I imagine we'd pretty much get back)

S

ShropshireLad

Based on what?
Was it £13 million or £15 million for Costa...perhaps the former, and we paid £7 million for Cav. OK, say £20 million for the pair. I'll be surprised if we recoup much over half of that.

D

Deleted member 5242

Was it £13 million or £15 million for Costa...perhaps the former, and we paid £7 million for Cav. OK, say £20 million for the pair. I'll be surprised if we recoup much over half of that.

Would you really? I think since signing, Cav has proven himself as dangerous in the championship, and useful in the Prem in the limited game time he's been given. I think we should be asking £10-12m for Cav looking at the cost of players these days arguably more.

Costa we will take a hit on!

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why? we aren't in desperate need to sell and, unlike Hause, both could still play a part next season if required. We are not talking Roger Johnson and Jamie O'Hara here. Can't ever see FOSUN being held to ransom or lowballed by anyone.

W

wolvesultra

Can see why Wolves have said they are open to offers to invite interest.

If it was down to me would have to be a good offer and then I'd only be looking to let one go. I'd have thrown Traore in the mix too (but only be looking to sell one of the 3.

Both are more suited to playing as wingers or wide forwards so ok don't quite fit our current set up, but lets not forget that set up only came about mid way through last season there's a good chance it may have to be changed again at some stage. Personally think Cav can adapt better to playing as part of a two as well (probably 3rd choice after Jimenez and Jota) so I'd be looking to keep him.

I'd only sell any of them if others (say a forward more suited to our system) were coming in.

D

Deleted member 4453

Think we'd all like to keep Cav but if we all put our business heads on and a decent offer came in, we'd take it.

Think that's what Fosun will be thinking but perhaps without a heavy heart.

If Traore is staying he really needs Cavs end product ASAP.

W

we8wba

This is really positive news! If we detach ourselves from the emotion for a minute......both have been decent (not great or loyal, but decent) servants to the club, contributed heavily in our promotion season and I genuinely wish them all the best and no ill will. You can't have any loyalty in football if you want to progress, you can treat people in the right way when there's a change in need, but loyalty will get you mediocrity at best, relegated at worst.

But..... to my point If we're getting rid of players of this quality - players who could hold their own in a bottom third Premier League team. Then that speaks volumes for where the club is looking and the vision quality of future signings.

Completely agree

Yes we’ve felt a bond with these pair, and they’ve served us mainly well to now

But we’re looking to rapidly progress and sadly those lads can’t take us to the next level or even sustain us at this level looking minimal impact from them this season

This shouldn’t make fans sad this should make us excited, excited for what the incomings are around imminent corner should they depart

S

ShropshireLad

Would you really? I think since signing, Cav has proven himself as dangerous in the championship, and useful in the Prem in the limited game time he's been given. I think we should be asking £10-12m for Cav looking at the cost of players these days arguably more.

Costa we will take a hit on!
I like Cav and think he did well last season given the few chances he had. If Nuno doesn't want him we'll have to see how much we receive. I'm not specifying how much we'll get or how much we should get but it's the hit on Costa which will cost us.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
are they up for sale? or is it just a slow news days?

I would say that we would listen to offers on all our players if it was the right money. That doesn't make us a selling club just a sensible one.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you massively underestimate the English Market. We'll get closer to £25 million for the pair than ten. Saville cost Middlesbrough £7 million last summer and nowhere near that level

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

I would say that we would listen to offers on all our players if it was the right money. That doesn't make us a selling club just a sensible one.
I agree

D

Deleted member 5242

I would imagine from the article we are actively looking for new homes for the pair of them, so to speak.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We sell both and replace with better. Top teams dont win things by keeping average players just because they are nice lads.

Back
Top Bottom