Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves Next Manager

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regardless, this squad is still plenty good enough for this level. So the main reason we are a shambles is because Julen walked out at the worst possible time.
Once again you blame the victim of deception for not bailing out Pinnochio's useless hide. Hell no!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching the game yesterday and seeing the players make mistake after mistake leads me to think its not all Gary’s fault.
Have the players lost confidence in themselves? Have they reached a point that they are intimidated and expecting to lose before the game even starts?
Maybe they need a good shrink/motivator several times a week for a while.
Some decent coaching might help too.... knowing what they are supposed to be doing for example....

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too many noses on this forum got put out of joint when JL left and we appointed a relative unknown. He had no pre season either. Give the guy a chance, ffs.
I'd be inclined to give O'Neill 10 games, which takes us into November. With our paucity in attack and sieve-like qualities at the back however, I wouldn't bet on us having more than 6 points after that time. With the players at his disposal, I'd be considering his position for anything less than 1 PPG.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the moment l’d rather have Gary Poundland than Gary O’Neil
With Barry lad as assistant and Shanice running the ladies team. She could rag the ref round the south bank carpark if he gives any pens like Saturday.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of them British which was apparently one of Hobbs' key factors....

Because British managers have such an impressive record of success in the Premier League? Brighton had one of the better British managers, yet went up a level when he got replaced by an Italian.

I may be seeing what isn't there, but the younger British managers, like Potter, Southgate, O'Neil, Rob Edwards, they all seem quite similar to me. Bulding well organised, but dull to watch teams. Flair and freedom tends to be stifled in favour of strict positional tactics. SOuthgate has done well for ENgland, but there's always this question, given that England do have some world class flair players, if that success is despite Southgate, rather than because of him.

Maybe they are out there, there are certainly succesful British managers, but I'm struggling to think of any right now that are known for getting their teams play exciting football. Edwards seems to be getting Luton exceeding the sum of their parts, but in that typical, well organised, flair-less way. Burnley, in contrast, struggling in this league, but strolled the CHampionship playing expansive football...not a British manager.

It's like they've all been on the same managerial coaching course, and it was largely focussed on how to make average quality players hard to beat.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because British managers have such an impressive record of success in the Premier League? Brighton had one of the better British managers, yet went up a level when he got replaced by an Italian.

I may be seeing what isn't there, but the younger British managers, like Potter, Southgate, O'Neil, Rob Edwards, they all seem quite similar to me. Bulding well organised, but dull to watch teams. Flair and freedom tends to be stifled in favour of strict positional tactics. SOuthgate has done well for ENgland, but there's always this question, given that England do have some world class flair players, if that success is despite Southgate, rather than because of him.

Maybe they are out there, there are certainly succesful British managers, but I'm struggling to think of any right now that are known for getting their teams play exciting football. Edwards seems to be getting Luton exceeding the sum of their parts, but in that typical, well organised, flair-less way. Burnley, in contrast, struggling in this league, but strolled the CHampionship playing expansive football...not a British manager.

It's like they've all been on the same managerial coaching course, and it was largely focussed on how to make average quality players hard to beat.
Oh l agree with you. I wasn't for one minute saying that Hobbs was right, merely that was reported as one of his key criteria.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

i think it is largely down to intellect. You can tell that Kompany, Klopp, Guardiola are pretty bright. I think Nuno and JL (despite language difficulties) were too. sadly our home grown managers (with the exception of maybe Howe and Potter) are less so. they talk in cliches and they dont appear to have the mental capacity required to compete at the very top.

Wolf616

Groupie
Reaction score
Potter is an incredible manager and we would be lucky to have him. One bad stint at Chelsea - a club that is as much of a mess as Wolves, just with billion pound budgets - aside, he did some good things in the premier league with Brighton.

There's no way he'd come to us though, he's too smart to join another basket case after the Chelsea experience.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Potter is an incredible manager and we would be lucky to have him. One bad stint at Chelsea - a club that is as much of a mess as Wolves, just with billion pound budgets - aside, he did some good things in the premier league with Brighton.

There's no way he'd come to us though, he's too smart to join another basket case after the Chelsea experience.
Realistically...if potter wants to jump straight back into a premier league managers job WHERE will he get a better offer as such.....I don't mean in terms of salary I mean at what level of club......the only clubs who will be after a manager are ones that will struggle......

He isn't getting a top 10 job , cause most of the clubs have just as good managers. Realistically probably only west ham and palace
would offer him a job but he would have to wait probably at least 18 months to get an offer....

I'm not saying we will get him , just don't think the next offer Potter will get IF it's a premier league job will be much better than say wolves .....he has already turned job down abroad so is probably waiting for a premier League job.......

Realistically he is probably looking Bournemouth, Everton and Wolves being the best type of club who will want him...he isn't getting much higher....

Last edited:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Realistically...if potter wants to jump straight back into a premier league managers job WHERE will he get a better offer as such.....I don't mean in terms of salary I mean at what level of club......the only clubs who will be after a manager are ones that will struggle......

He isn't getting a top 10 job , cause most of the clubs have just as good managers. Realistically probably only west ham and palace
would offer him a job but he would have to wait probably at least 18 months to get an offer....

I'm not saying we will get him , just don't think the next offer Potter will get IF it's a premier league job will be much better than say wolves .....he has already turned job down abroad so is probably waiting for a premier League job.......

Realistically he is probably looking Bournemouth, Everton and Wolves being the best type of club who will want him...he isn't getting much higher....
Let’s hope potter has kept his PowerPoint skills strong and has been practicing his short game…….

As these seem like key skills on the wolves managerial job spec.

As playing golf is how we got doc back lol

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of the best coaches and managers never played the game at any kind of level and made their own way in the game, watched & learned from afar and made their own way in the game. Not saying GON is going to become some kind of managerial genius in the future but saying he hasn't come through X's academy or spent time under this manager isn't really relevant to where his managerial career goes or how he progresses. Gary Neville came through the Man Utd system and spent his career under Sir Alex, I don't want him as manager either. Nagelsmann stopped playing at 20 and became a scout and studied sport science but we'd take a look at him, its a lazy argument when GON played over 200 premier league games.
This point is quite regularly made, and I don't really agree with it.

People like Nagelsmann (and Will Still) are brought up like they are the rule rather than the exception, and if you look into his career history there's only a vague similarity to 0'Neil in that they both worked in youth football, with Nagelsmann spending much longer at different age groups than G0N. Nagelsmann also worked under Thomas Tuchel and was under the advice of Huub Stevens at Hoffenheim.

I will agree there is no defined path in management, but if you dissect the average relatively young manager that is operating at a successful level, they tend to have managed a lot of games at various levels, have worked under a selection of coaches with different ideas, and seek counsel from experienced staff around them: Sebastian Hoeneß, Xabi Alonso, Pellegrino Matarazzo, Roberto De Zerbi, Ole Werner, Francesco Farioli all fit into these categories to some degree or another. And environmental factors play a huge part in whether these managers are successful too, as does luck, but generally those criteria are measurable and present across a decent cross-section of coaches.

Gary O'Neil doesn't meet these criteria. He hasn't played under a string of coaches he can learn anything that is vaguely relevant to the modern game from, he didn't retire early and become an analyst/translator/physio/assistant manager or manage hundreds of youth team games. He wasn't part of a 'succession planning' programme like is the case in Germany.

The guy was the Assistant Manager of Liverpool U23's for 6 months, had 18 months as Assistant to Jonathon Woodgate and Scott Parker, has been the main man in the dugout for a grand total of 44 competitive games, and whilst he is scraping a point a game here at Wolves, that's better than he managed as full-time manager at Bournemouth. He's surrounded himself with similarly inexperienced heads with limited success. There's no past managers to ring to ask for advice, unless you're counting Harry Redknapp, Tony Adams, Tony Pulis and Gareth Southgate.

Whether he will have what it takes in the future is neither here nor there, the point is he doesn't have it now, and we need it now. I don't blame him for taking the job, but the sooner Wolves realise this is their Liz Truss moment and put the poor guy out of his misery, the sooner we can move forward and lament the next useless ******* they appoint, because let's face it Fosun have absolutely no idea what they're doing and we're ****ed anyway.....

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whether he will have what it takes in the future is neither here nor there, the point is he doesn't have it now, and we need it now. I don't blame him for taking the job, but the sooner Wolves realise this is their Liz Truss moment and put the poor guy out of his misery, the sooner we can move forward and lament the next useless ******* the appoint, because let's face it Fosun have absolutely no idea what they're doing and we're ****ed anyway.....

Do we get the iceburg lettuce out when Man City score their fifth or when Villa go 3-0 up against us?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Appointing one of the experts from this forum would be a good move. I imagine it would be a shock to the system for them to have to prove their credibility. In all honesty I'd love to see it, on the proviso that it was a limited time experiment!
Frankly they would struggle to be worse than the current shower.

Bilston paul

Groupie
Reaction score
I'd go for Colin on a one-year contract (with a massive bonus for keeping us up) and give him the chance of a last hurrah. He'd absolutely love the chance and he's always had good things to say about Wolves as a club (Nuno less so!). Also he's a born fighter and would motivate them. It would not be that pretty but I'm sure he'd keep us in the PL.
Totally agree with all of that. We've always had a love hate relationship with Warnock but he's ideal for the rest of the season.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imho Wolves do have some really decent players in the squad still..

All we need is a decent manager and some leaders on and off the football pitch and we'll be fine and survive..

Only if WWFC act quickly though and get in this decent manager asap..

Second thoughts we did have a decent manager in Lopetegui and Jeff ****** it up!!

Last edited:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We would have a really hard time appointing someone less qualified than Gary O’Neil. Just over a year ago he was Scott Parker’s assistant ffs. Laughable that we’ve put ourselves in this situation. Self destruct.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We would have a really hard time appointing someone less qualified than Gary O’Neil. Just over a year ago he was Scott Parker’s assistant ffs. Laughable that we’ve put ourselves in this situation. Self destruct.
Sadly not laughable and we the average fan do know more about football than the guys who run this club.

Back
Top Bottom