Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves Next Manager

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know you don’t like him or want him (neither do I) but Jesus that’s a stretch of epic proportions. You’ve got him nailed on as some kind of James Bond super villain, Part Goldfinger part Adolf Hitler.

He’s plainly a not very good manager, not quite sure the need to make him out like you have.
I wasn’t the only person who noticed that when it happened….. other family members and wolves supporting friends who were warching saw it too.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might I suggest if there were no good coaches who wanted the job, it was likely because of a perceived lack of ambition? The drama of the Summer relating to transfer funding would not have escaped the attention of those astute coaches looking to break into the world's most famous league. Perhaps that's why we ended up with a tiny pool of jobless journeymen desperate for any top-flight gig before their inevitable descent into lower league management. You ultimately get what you pay for.
Not disagreeing with most of this but I do think that hiring a vey expensive, ( by our standards) JL and his expensive entourage is a very positive sign. Wolves didn’t do that for nothing…..they had a reason or plan or ambition, whatever you want to call it. They wanted something .
Now, JL has left but that doesn’t mean that the Wolves long term plan is permanently shelved…….it’s taken a big hit, no two ways around it, but you adapt, ( perhaps reconsider your timeline), and keep going.

They‘ve spent big since Covid and Guo went to the trouble of taking in a friendly at Marabella and then spent a couple days in and around Wolverhampton and was at one of our recent games. He’s a busy man……a friendly at Marabella? ….interesting.
If only to avoid relegation, I think Fosun are ambitious……not win the league in 3 years but more like a stable top 10 club.

Considering that Wolves have not finished lower than 13 th., I think it’s reasonable that that’s the very least they’d want……hence JL.
Why wouldn’t they still want that?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not disagreeing with most of this but I do think that hiring a vey expensive, ( by our standards) JL and his expensive entourage is a very positive sign. Wolves didn’t do that for nothing…..they had a reason or plan or ambition, whatever you want to call it. They wanted something .
Now, JL has left but that doesn’t mean that the Wolves long term plan is permanently shelved…….it’s taken a big hit, no two ways around it, but you adapt, ( perhaps reconsider your timeline), and keep going.

They‘ve spent big since Covid and Guo went to the trouble of taking in a friendly at Marabella and then spent a couple days in and around Wolverhampton and was at one of our recent games. He’s a busy man……a friendly at Marabella? ….interesting.
If only to avoid relegation, I think Fosun are ambitious……not win the league in 3 years but more like a stable top 10 club.

Considering that Wolves have not finished lower than 13 th., I think it’s reasonable that that’s the very least they’d want……hence JL.
Why wouldn’t they still want that?
I'm sure that they do. However spending marginally more than Luton won't achieve it.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one said he was Gerrard! But you can’t say someone who played 200 premier league games was a championship level player.
You can say what you like about Gary O'Neil the manager, but I'd have given my last Rolo as a kid, to have had even 10% of what he had during his playing career.
I didn't think he was too shabby a player, to be fair.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one said he was Gerrard! But you can’t say someone who played 200 premier league games was a championship level player.

Yep all this crap about his playing career is really petty stuff.
He's not a good manager/ coach and seems to have surrounded himself with equally poor coaching staff but what he achieved as a player has no relevance to that!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also played about 200 at Championship level though so can we call him a yo-yo?

I do think now you need something to immediately get control of your group when you go in. If you've had success as a manager then great but if you haven't you need to have done something as a player and let's be honest, peak O'Neil doesn't get into this side. He keeps reminding them of that fact by joining in the training sessions, almost as if he's that crap kid who couldn't run but you always asked him to come and play a game because he had the newest ball

Are the players going to be impressed by O'Neil's playing or managerial career? Are they going to think they can learn from him? Answer is probably "no" on both counts, and in my opinion, that's the problem. Don't think anyone with a profile like O'Neil would suit this squad

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’ve not read the thread, but without a change in mindset and personnel at board level (yes Jeff that’s you mate), or failing that ownership, we’re just papering over cracks.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also played about 200 at Championship level though so can we call him a yo-yo?

I do think now you need something to immediately get control of your group when you go in. If you've had success as a manager then great but if you haven't you need to have done something as a player and let's be honest, peak O'Neil doesn't get into this side. He keeps reminding them of that fact by joining in the training sessions, almost as if he's that crap kid who couldn't run but you always asked him to come and play a game because he had the newest ball

Are the players going to be impressed by O'Neil's playing or managerial career? Are they going to think they can learn from him? Answer is probably "no" on both counts, and in my opinion, that's the problem. Don't think anyone with a profile like O'Neil would suit this squad
I think him getting involved in training is being blown way out of proportion to be honest. Up until the last few years both Wenger and Hodgson were very much “boots” on coaches and neither had playing careers and were 30 years older.

Taking away anything tactically I don’t think O’Neil has the personality of a leader which is far more of a concern. He doesn’t have that robust personality for it in my opinion. We have a lot of foreign young kids with a few older heads and they probably need a leader off the pitch to galvanise them, I imagine that’s what Derry is there for but whether they listen is a different matter

Aussie_Wolf

Reaction score
Wouldn’t be the worst decision we ever made. Can’t see him coming though
He'd at least demand and get a performance from the players and if a man knows how to counter attack it's him. He's a pragmatist too. I'd lop off a nut for Mourinho at this point

Aussie_Wolf

Reaction score
You can say what you like about Gary O'Neil the manager, but I'd have given my last Rolo as a kid, to have had even 10% of what he had during his playing career.
I didn't think he was too shabby a player, to be fair.
Sensible and sensitive answer. Maradona is an awful coach but few can doubt his playing abilities . Not even saying I neil won't make a career for himself as a manager but he clearly needs a lot more experience for prem, but it's just unnecessary for people to disrespect his quite successful playing career.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading Lopeteguis interview, whatever you think of him, just reconfirms that through project has changed.
Now I still have no idea what's it changed to, but the ambition surely now seems to just survive, rather than attack the top half.

That surely will effect the sort of manager we can attract. Mourinho wouldn't come, and neither would a lot of other managers with any decent sort of pedigree at this level.

This however doesn't mean we've to settle for GON. There will be other better managers out there.

But can't see the likes of Mourinho.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno Saltor has left Chelsea this week. Inexperienced but I'd rather Hobbs had a punt on him than the PE teacher.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They wanted to avoid relegation. Here's a (wild and unsubstantiated) theory.

We were in a mess, fired Bruno and Guo wanted to be sure we didn't get relegated. Fosun were struggling financially. Best option was JLO. Guo said Fosun can't afford him, but what if we make him a series of assurances, get him in and once we're safe renege on those promises? We'll have to pay him off, but it won't be astronomical. Fosun get to preserve WWFC PL status. They have to pay out some money, but nothing like what keeping JLO for 3 years would cost. We then get in a much cheaper alternative and wait for Fosun's financial problems to ease ? Whilst Wolves is a tiny part of Fosun's operations, they are protecting it for its possible future brand value, which would be nothing without being in the PL .

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They wanted to avoid relegation. Here's a (wild and unsubstantiated) theory.

We were in a mess, fired Bruno and Guo wanted to be sure we didn't get relegated. Fosun were struggling financially. Best option was JLO. Guo said Fosun can't afford him, but what if we make him a series of assurances, get him in and once we're safe renege on those promises? We'll have to pay him off, but it won't be astronomical. Fosun get to preserve WWFC PL status. They have to pay out some money, but nothing like what keeping JLO for 3 years would cost. We then get in a much cheaper alternative and wait for Fosun's financial problems to ease ? Whilst Wolves is a tiny part of Fosun's operations, they are protecting it for its possible future brand value, which would be nothing without being in the PL .
The first half makes sense, but not the ridiculous swing from Lop to GON. I think O'Neil has been brought in because they are looking to sell the club by Jan, so the cheapest possible manager is fine.

Back
Top Bottom