Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves Next Manager

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No idea. Potter is the most obvious name I can think of, but I'm not very imaginative and guess he might not be interested. Rob Edwards was apparently the other main contender considered previously, but I doubt he'd leave Luton or they'd let him leave now and not sure he'd be much better than GON, although at least he's got more experience (which doesn't say much) and obviously has a connection to Wolves...

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are a semi established side in the world’s biggest and best league. We have good, young players. The idea that we can’t attract anyone better than Gary O’Neil is laughable - of course we can.

Plus, apparently our financial state is much better now than when we appointed O’Neil, thanks to the Nunes sale.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marcelo Gallardo has been touted. Makes a lot of sense - no compensation, burgeoning reputation, would get something extra from our South American contingent you feel, and is reportedly keen to join a Premier League club. Question is - why would he join this current circus? It would only be with certain assurances of January funding and in the hope we aren't adrift by then. More likely however will be a Mendes client, probably one out of work... the only one presently is Gennaro Gattuso...

Whoever it is, get transfer agreements with Fosun in writing and a signature.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will always say as I see. I don't rate O'Neil but Hobbs and Shi and mostly Fosun created this **** show . So yes O'Neil will go but the clowns who appointed him will be appointing the next one as well.

Just remember yes Shi appointed Nuno , but he also appointed Zenga , Lage , And nearly Beale , and now with Hobbs O'Neil .

So the question or thread should possibly be . Do you have confidence in the club Fosun to change this **** around as at present I have no confidence in them running Wolves Do you ?

John Wolves Fan

Groupie
Reaction score
Far too early to be talking about getting a new manager although the club should have a plan in place incase GON fails after being given the majority of the season to make the job his own.

Of managers out there a steady pair of hands like Big Sam would be OK to get us through to the end of the season if GON does fall on his sword later on in the season.

Beckbury Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I'd honestly get Nuno back for 2-3 years and appoint/groom a young number 2 to take over from him the way Liverpool used to develop in house coaches/ex players.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
I presume we went for cheap and cheerful O’Neill as Fosun had no cash in the bank at the time. We have assets and a future income stream, but the lack of cash in July was driving the policy of bringing in free transfers and reducing the weekly wage bill.

However, we have since sold Nunes for cash up front, hence the sudden burst of signing on fees before the deadline. We should still have operating cash available now to be able to bring in a proper new manager, not one again from the discounted bargain bin.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Far too early to be talking about getting a new manager although the club should have a plan in place incase GON fails after being given the majority of the season to make the job his own.

Of managers out there a steady pair of hands like Big Sam would be OK to get us through to the end of the season if GON does fall on his sword later on in the season.
I agree with that but Sam is far from a steady pair of hands now, he looked well out of his depth in his last two fire fighting appointments. Pardon the pun but his hunger seems to have gone.

I’d have Warnock on speed dial. Another who’s best years are gone but I think he’d love to finish in the premier league

Beckbury Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I agree with that but Sam is far from a steady pair of hands now, he looked well out of his depth in his last two fire fighting appointments. Pardon the pun but his hunger seems to have gone.

I’d have Warnock on speed dial. Another who’s best years are gone but I think he’d love to finish in the premier league
Only had 4 games at Leeds so difficult to save at that stage. Don't know why managers take those roles as the average punter will always blame them and tarnish their image even tho the world knows you've only had 4 games.

West Brom were a **** show so also difficult to turn around. Fergie wouldn't of done any better in either role. They are a hiding to nothing jobs!

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The best replacements that come to mind are either Gallardo or Potter. However, the liklihood of us getting them is probably quite low.

I imagine we will end up getting either Dean Smith, Frank Lampard or Rob Edwards - which is a terrible indication of how far we have fallen.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sack Shi, move Hobbs back to a scouting role and get in people with proper experience of running a football club. Sack O Neil and go all out for Marcello Gallardo with proper backing.
To do this you have to assume Fosun would be going back to the policy they promised years ago.
They have the policy that some kind of magic will just happen without knowing how to make that magic happen.
It is so easy to criticise GON but I dont even think that Pep could get a tune out of the existing set up we have.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve always liked big Sam and wouldn’t have been against him being our manager in the past. But I think his time has now passed and we are not in the kind of situation where we need what he would bring.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To do this you have to assume Fosun would be going back to the policy they promised years ago.
They have the policy that some kind of magic will just happen without knowing how to make that magic happen.
It is so easy to criticise GON but I dont even think that Pep could get a tune out of the existing set up we have.
You may be underestimating the importance of a manager. They're the most influential people at the club. Good managers can get the best out of players. If Pep was our manager, we wouldn't be winning any titles, but we'd be nowhere near relegation in my view.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
List of available managers on transfermarket. Search narrowed to the ones most recently available.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230924_122309_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_122309_Chrome.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 160

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sack Shi, move Hobbs back to a scouting role and get in people with proper experience of running a football club. Sack O Neil and go all out for Marcello Gallardo with proper backing.
They probably have got know idea who he is

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd honestly get Nuno back for 2-3 years and appoint/groom a young number 2 to take over from him the way Liverpool used to develop in house coaches/ex players.
Emphasis on used to. Shanks was such an incredible manager that all of his assistants could take over from him. This happened up until Dalglish who benefitted from such a well run club. They are not the same now.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd go for Colin on a one-year contract (with a massive bonus for keeping us up) and give him the chance of a last hurrah. He'd absolutely love the chance and he's always had good things to say about Wolves as a club (Nuno less so!). Also he's a born fighter and would motivate them. It would not be that pretty but I'm sure he'd keep us in the PL.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Nuno would want to come back where he has limited funds and has to sell his best players . Or stay in a warm climate with an open cheque book to sign anyone he wishes that would be interested in moving .

I doubt he would and I think he would tell Shi to **** off if offered it imo.

Monswolf

Reaction score

We can’t give GON the majority of the season otherwise we will be gone already. This is not knee jerk but sensible he needs to go now while we are not desperate

Lots of posters reference Southampton with Nathan Jones and to me this is 100% correct, just look at what happened there THAT WILL BE US unless something changes

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In case he fails?
He's taken us so far backwards in his short tenure that it will take a football genius to sort out the mess Corporal Clott has wrought upon the team.

As for the never-was Dinosaur that is Dodgy Sam FFS, surely even Shi is not stupid enough to apoint that idiot. I do think we shouild seek a banning order preventing him from coming within a 100 miles of the Mol, just in case, though.

John Wolves Fan

Groupie
Reaction score
We can’t give GON the majority of the season otherwise we will be gone already. This is not knee jerk but sensible he needs to go now while we are not desperate

Lots of posters reference Southampton with Nathan Jones and to me this is 100% correct, just look at what happened there THAT WILL BE US unless something changes
Just because Nathan Jones failed it doesn't mean GON will.

Arteta hasn't failed at Arsenal for example.

John Wolves Fan

Groupie
Reaction score
In case he fails?
He's taken us so far backwards in his short tenure that it will take a football genius to sort out the mess Corporal Clott has wrought upon the team.

As for the never-was Dinosaur that is Dodgy Sam FFS, surely even Shi is not stupid enough to apoint that idiot. I do think we shouild seek a banning order preventing him from coming within a 100 miles of the Mol, just in case, though.
Look we're unlikely to get someone like JOL in the near future.

A lot of top managers may well be put off by the project after what happened to him too.

GON wants to be here so let's support him.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You may be underestimating the importance of a manager. They're the most influential people at the club. Good managers can get the best out of players. If Pep was our manager, we wouldn't be winning any titles, but we'd be nowhere near relegation in my view.
I agree about a good manager but they need the tools around them above and below them. Owners and managers, coaches and players and even Doris have different roles and skills. They all need each other.
I do not underplay the role of a manager. We may be in this position because of the initial success of Nuno which lulled Guo into thiking we could get success without a strong top management structure to enhance our progress.
Brighton did not disintergrate after Potter left. They improved.
Someone mighthave a dream about building a fantastic building. You then need an Architect to plan it. A master Builder to set out a plan to build it. Skilled purchasers to buy the appropriate material. Skilled builders to build it. Inspectprs to supposedly check to stop mistakes happening. Etc.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wouldn’t have picked GON but think he probably should be given more time.

Actually thought to get the draw at Luton after the sending off and dodgy penalty was a positive and the fact we stemmed the initial onslaught and started to control the match showed some in game management.

If VAR worked we should really be sitting in 10th place imo.

Last edited:

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd go for Colin on a one-year contract (with a massive bonus for keeping us up) and give him the chance of a last hurrah. He'd absolutely love the chance and he's always had good things to say about Wolves as a club (Nuno less so!). Also he's a born fighter and would motivate them. It would not be that pretty but I'm sure he'd keep us in the PL.
Maybe it does happen in some clubs but I cannot believe how we dont use various ex players or manager as consultants. They can all bring in different skills . Yes you have to be careful that they blen not confluct.
But if say there was a role that could oversee this to see what skills Warnock could bring to aid the manager and players.

Back
Top Bottom