Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves FFP Breach

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought FFP had been relaxed in the current period?

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m assuming due to our rapid rise our championship losses means we wouldn’t comply with the much stricter UEFA FFP regulations.

It looks like a minor slap on the wrist and get in line in future agreement whilst acknowledging our exceptional circumstances.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves have been given a 600,000 Euro fine - 200,000 Euros up front and the rest suspended on compliance with a break even target.

Also means we will only be allowed 23 players in a UEFA competition squad, for at least 2020-21 (if we get into UCL) and 2021-22 if we don't comply with the agreement made.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fine isn't the issue. It's the 'break-even deficit of 30m euros and making sure that we're within that parameter after the four year spell that would be the major problem.

I don't know our details but it would suggest to me that big signings are not happening at all and maybe even a player sale will be needed as we had been one of the biggest net spenders in Europe over the past few years.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I’m assuming due to our rapid rise our championship losses means we wouldn’t comply with the much stricter UEFA FFP regulations.

It looks like a minor slap on the wrist and get in line in future agreement whilst acknowledging our exceptional circumstances.
Agree, seems fair enough. We were always comfortable meeting the FL rules and the PL ones but UEFA is much tighter.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
200k fine and 2 players out of the squad is a very soft punishment which probably acknowledges we were a 2nd tier side not that long ago and the breech is probably minor.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Hoping that player restriction for 20/21 kicks in.

Guess we got to Europe quicker than expected!

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here is UEFA's Statement

During the 2019/20 season, the CFCB Investigatory Chamber continued the monitoring of the remaining clubs under settlement agreements, namely CFR Cluj, Galatasaray SK, FK Kairat Almaty, Maccabi Tel Aviv and FC Porto.

The CFCB investigatory chamber found that Galatasaray SK, FK Kairat Almaty and Maccabi Tel Aviv FC complied with the targets agreed for the 2019/20 season; these clubs will remain in the settlement regime in the 2020/21 season. It was also found that CFR Cluj fulfilled the overall objective of its settlement agreement signed in June 2019 and therefore exited the settlement regime. FC Porto was considered to have only partially fulfilled the targets set for the 2019/20 season and, as a result, the conditional sporting measures foreseen in its settlement agreement, such as the limitation on the number of players in the List A and the restrictions of newly transferred players, will continue to apply in the 2020/21 season.

With regards to the monitoring of the other clubs having taken part in the 2019/20 UEFA club competitions, the CFCB Investigatory Chamber found that LOSC Lille, İstanbul Başakşehir and Wolverhampton Wanderers FC did not comply with the break-even requirement. Upon decision of the CFCB Chief Investigator, all three clubs have individually consented to settlement agreements.

With the conclusion of these new agreements, seven clubs will be under settlement regime for the 2020/21 season, i.e. Galatasaray SK, İstanbul Başakşehir, FK Kairat Almaty, Maccabi Tel Aviv FC, LOSC Lille, FC Porto and Wolverhampton Wanderers FC.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My understanding is it includes the losses from the championship year not to mention the lower turnover we would have had, as they use 3 years. That year should now drop out of the calculation.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
My understanding is it includes the losses from the championship year not to mention the lower turnover we would have had, as they use 3 years. That year should now drop out of the calculation.
Agree with this too, basically victims of our own success, that year we spent big in the Championship counts towards this years FFP, but won’t next year. Instead it will be 3 years of Premier League money, so we should be ok as long as we don’t do anything silly.

D

Deleted member 11157

Benefits far outweigh the costs. Keep Nuno and his team and all is well. Cannot help but think teams like Man City or PSG will always get a smoother ride than teams in our bracket. The self preservation society. Man City were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cannot confess to understanding the full rules and regulations of this, but it appears Lille have been found guilty too who let Arsenal buy Pepe over a number of years rather than pay the full figure up front.
I guess it also suggests that a 3rd year in the Premier League with the extra revenues on offer should ensure we will be able to comply with any restrictions.
Will allowances be made for the drop in revenue due to Covid?

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With it being a period of 2018-2020, our loss of £57 Million+ in the promotion season is what has caused the red line. I'd be very surprised, if there was a problem for 2019-2021 with our European run getting massive amounts.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Just to put a €0.6m fine in context I think it's what we guaranteed additionally to the other prize money by knocking Olympiakos out.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do we think this will impact our business over the summer?

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do we think this will impact our business over the summer?
Not as much as covid.

Do they still have jurisdiction, if we don't qualify for Europe next season?

Last edited:

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which apparently we made a £20 million profit??

Yes, but made an absolutely MASSIVE loss in the promotion season, wasn’t it something ridiculous like knocking on £50m?

Kinda hard to break even over 3 seasons (which is the UEFA rule) with 2 reasonable profits and one huge loss.
It wasn’t a problem for FL, as they allow 39m losses in 3 years, so the small, team stripping profits of the end of the Morgan era covered that.
The promotion year huge loss is the first in UEFA’s accounting period, hence we broke the rules.

Shouldn’t affect budget too greatly either way. Only have to care about it if win the Europa, in which case the £40m+ just for group stages of CL would cover it.
If spent more than break even without being in Europe, they’d probably only give us another mostly suspended slap on the wrists.
It’s probably a big reason as to why we didn’t go barmy last summer though, to show a bit of willing and not blatantly take the ****.

dnf14

Reaction score
@jos
Not as much as covid.

Do they still have jurisdiction, if we don't qualify for Europe next season?
Suspended fine would stand regardless, I'd imagine. They wouldn't have jurisdiction to impede our squad size outside of EL or CL though. Outside of UEFA, we're only subject to PL profit & sustainability regulations which are a great deal more lenient.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having spent weeks, during last summer, reading the 30,000 rules and regulations. Questioning and getting advice from those who could interpret the meanings.

Then I believe I have a great understanding of FFP, both European and domestic rules.

Rather than go through everything, rule by rule, I will sum it up for those of you who wish to gain an understanding.

It's ****

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, but made an absolutely MASSIVE loss in the promotion season, wasn’t it something ridiculous like knocking on £50m?

Kinda hard to break even over 3 seasons (which is the UEFA rule) with 2 reasonable profits and one huge loss.
It wasn’t a problem for FL, as they allow 39m losses in 3 years, so the small, team stripping profits of the end of the Morgan era covered that.
The promotion year huge loss is the first in UEFA’s accounting period, hence we broke the rules.

Shouldn’t affect budget too greatly either way. Only have to care about it if win the Europa, in which case the £40m+ just for group stages of CL would cover it.
If spent more than break even without being in Europe, they’d probably only give us another mostly suspended slap on the wrists.
It’s probably a big reason as to why we didn’t go barmy last summer though, to show a bit of willing and not blatantly take the ****.
Yeah, I get that about the championship losses. I was responding to someone who claimed to know everything, then said it was last years accounts. :p

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fine is two weeks wages for Moutinho. Simply get some roadworks on way to Compton, fine him two weeks wages for being late and all is sorted. Clearly this is not serious but shows the insignificance of the fine. Onwards and upwards.

Back
Top Bottom