Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves FFP Breach

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing much really,a 200k fine plus 400k if we are naughty boys in the future
We made 1.2 million reaching the last 8 so pin money
I totally understand Man City fans getting riled,we should keep our noses out of other clubs business really,especially if we are not whiter than white
That said its a very minor infringement bought on by our own success,hence the very minor punishment,we move on

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the fact is that when all the financial planning would have been done we probably didn't expect to qualify for Europe, and as such we would have been looking to keep within the FL/PL figures which we have, qualifying for Europe would mean we would have suddenly have had to make a large increase in profit to meet the figures, we haven't so we fell outside the required figures, going forward with extra money generated from europa leage and another good season in the prem we should probably be OK to meet the required figure set, as it says we have reached an agreement I would guess the club are comfortable with being able to meet the break even target set

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Nothing much really,a 200k fine plus 400k if we are naughty boys in the future
We made 1.2 million reaching the last 8 so pin money
I totally understand Man City fans getting riled,we should keep our noses out of other clubs business really,especially if we are not whiter than white
That said its a very minor infringement bought on by our own success,hence the very minor punishment,we move on

Not really across all this, but the main point about us relative to Man City for me is that we broke the rules of a competition we weren't even expecting to be in, then said fair cop, how much do we owe? Whereas they tried dodgy methods to get around the rules of a competition they knew they'd be in and then more dodgy methods to avoid the punishment.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All fans will jump on the bandwagon without knowing the facts as soon as they hear FFP.

If this was a PL team for 3 years who had just qualified for Europe they would’ve had Circa £450m revenue over that time and could easily hit break even.

Our accounts show circa £250m because we spent 2 of the last 3 years of the accounting period in the Chanpionship.

And we still almost broke even.

There’s a massive difference between us and them.

We just got Europe basically 1 year too early.

But didn’t really, as we got a €200k fine but made over £8m in prize money already. So club has done well.
And any potential CL squad reduction won't hurt us anyway.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So many of the clubs vying for the elusive top 6 and Europe are being screwed by Uefa, if they do manage to get there.
We are lucky cause we had just come up and got Europe quickly. So punishment is more a token gesture of applying the rules. We had an excuse or mitigatio.

what the **** would some others do?

take Everton as an example - established premier league team, mid to upper mid table, should be vying for European spot.
2017 - £30.6m profit
2018 - £13.1m loss
2019- £111.8m loss

over 3 years £94.3m loss. Prem league rules allow for £105m loss over 3 year period, uefa rules break even. Everton had better hope they don’t get a euro spot anytime soon, they’d be screwed

Keith maniac

Groupie
Reaction score
Wolves have been given a 600,000 Euro fine - 200,000 Euros up front and the rest suspended on compliance with a break even target.

Also means we will only be allowed 23 players in a UEFA competition squad, for at least 2020-21 (if we get into UCL) and 2021-22 if we don't comply with the agreement made.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is an absolute farce that had we finished 8th last season we wouldn't have been fined

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is an absolute farce that had we finished 8th last season we wouldn't have been fined
Well, pretty obviously you only fall under UEFA's specific rules if you are actually in their competitions.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
its not really. We’ve made loads more money being in the Europa league than we would not being in it, even with the tiny fine.

I understand that, but we knew we would breach the rule while not knowing what the penalty would be, or how far we would proceed in the tournament. We could have been out in the qualifying rounds and still handed a multi million fine, and who knows what else. Yes it’s worked out in our favour now, but that was not a given when we strove to qualify last season. It‘s literally a disincentive to proceed faster than the football gods permit. You can grow, but only at a pace which is permitted, otherwise you will be penalised. That’s the whole point of FFP.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand that, but we knew we would breach the rule while not knowing what the penalty would be, or how far we would proceed in the tournament. We could have been out in the qualifying rounds and still handed a multi million fine, and who knows what else. Yes it’s worked out in our favour now, but that was not a given when we strove to qualify last season.
I don’t think a multi million fine was ever on the cards?! I imagine Wolves knew this was coming and aren’t bothered. The fine is a fraction of what we’ve earned from Europe. The gate receipts from the Crusaders game alone cover it so even in the very unlikely event of us getting knocked out early it wouldn’t have been a problem.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think a multi million fine was ever on the cards?! I imagine Wolves knew this was coming and aren’t bothered. The fine is a fraction of what we’ve earned from Europe. The gate receipts from the Crusaders game alone cover it so even in the very unlikely event of us getting knocked out early it wouldn’t have been a problem.
But the point I was making above was that we had mitigation. Would Everton (as an example) be looked at with the same leniency, given how much money they have spunked up the wall. There are probably others too.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But the point I was making above was that we had mitigation. Would Everton (as an example) be looked at with the same leniency, given how much money they have spunked up the wall. There are probably others too.
I should start reading all the thread. That’s a very good point.
I suppose if Everton made Europa they would have had the sky money coming in for all 3 years? Our main issue seems to be our lack of income in the championship if Iv understood it? Even if the fine was say 2 million chances are you’d still be well in profit from being in Europe.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
All been said, I think. But this is a nothing, really. Technically the club broke FFP, so technically UEFA needed to impose a sanction. However, there's also clearly a recognition that this breach was down to the club qualifying for Europe ahead of schedule, not because of any intention to cheat to flout the rules, so the punishment is just a token gesture, with the caveat they will monitor the club's finances to see that they come in line as the championship years age off the books.

W

Wummington_Bear

Would help if some of them could read.

Understandable anger if you hadn’t understood the details of the Wolves case and how it is completely different from City. We did nothing wrong other than grow quickly and reach Europe a season early. They funnelled money through over inflated sponsorship deals to bypass FFP and then prevented it being investigated quickly with the end result that the major part of the case expired. One is an ambitious club who cooperated and the other is a club trying to bend the rules and the.prevent an investigation.

The only thing in common is that FFP stinks and is clearly there to protect the status quo. What it needs is a direct challenge in court that FFP itself is a barrier to competition and breaks competition law. That’s what a group of clubs should band together to support.

"They funnelled money through over inflated sponsorship deals to bypass FFP".

Not according to the independent body CAS. City were completely exonerated of this allegation.

"And then prevented it being investigated quickly with the end result that the major part of the case expired".

Wildly inaccurate again. UEFA waited until the day before the alleged infringements were about to go time-barred before deciding to hand City a 2 year CL ban.

I agree in relation to your view on the "purpose" of FFP though. Very clearly designed to protect the elite and prevent "another City".

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
"They funnelled money through over inflated sponsorship deals to bypass FFP".

Not according to the independent body CAS. City were completely exonerated of this allegation.

"And then prevented it being investigated quickly with the end result that the major part of the case expired".

Wildly inaccurate again. UEFA waited until the day before the alleged infringements were about to go time-barred before deciding to hand City a 2 year CL ban.

I agree in relation to your view on the "purpose" of FFP though. Very clearly designed to protect the elite and prevent "another City".

Who do you support?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who do you support?
I suspect, as l rather think do you, that it is an Arab-owned team which plays in sky blue and is located in Britain's third city....

That doesn't necessarily make any of the statements made inaccurate. I must say though that any poster with WUM in their Mix name must immediately be suspect....

D

Deleted member 4023

Wonder if you went in the old ground before they built the empty head stadium? Possibly the Bell End stand?

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hmm
Perhaps you can reassure your friends on blue moon we don't need to sell anyone to break even

wonder who they're going to have to sell, though given they're not in Europe I don't see how it will matter unless they're being allowed to win the Europa League.

Back
Top Bottom