Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves cult heroes without (too) many games

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I was proudly putting on my Matt Murray - England number one t-shirt this morning, I started wondering if there were any other players who have attained such a level of import from a fan base in spite of playing only a handful of games.

I thought I'd open it up to the floor: Which Wolves player with a limited (say, sub 50, which is half the number of times Matt Murray sported old Gold) number of appearances still remain in our collective memory. For the right reasons only! We've had enough ****ters to start a small country.

I'll start. Henri Camara. Played 32 games yet we all dressed up as him to try and persuade him to stay.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jackie Gallagher made 13 full appearances and came on 19 times as a substitute and scored 5 goals over two seasons in 1987/88 and 88/89.

I cannot think of another player who gained cult status after such a small amount of appearances and seasons.

He's fat, he's round, he's worth a million pound :D:D:D

Last edited:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Emmanuel Frimpong, whether it was deserved or not is another matter but was liked and liked Wolves as well. Hasn't he said since he always looks out for our results and stuff? From five appearances!
Brilliant name! He was immense too. He looked like our best player pre injury. Shame he was such a melon!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Recently perhaps Cutrone, at least in the first season. Previously perhaps Jesus Sanjuan and Sami Al Jaber.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jackie Gallagher made 13 full appearances and came on 19 times as a substitute and scored 5 goals over two season in 1987/88 and 88/89.

I cannot think of another player who gained cult status after such a small amount of appearances and seasons.

He's fat, he's round, he's worth a million pound :D:D:D
That last line is what immediately came to mind as soon as l saw the name....

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mo Camara (45 appearances)

Camara moved to England in summer 2000 with Wolverhampton Wanderers of the First Division in a £100,000 deal. He became a cult figure amongst their fans, known for his commitment and pace despite sometimes exhibiting a lack of positional sense and ball control. A regular column from the spoof 'Mohammed Camara Appreciation Society' appeared in fanzine 'A Load of Bull' celebrating his eccentric but lovable playing style. He was a regular starter in his first two seasons with the side, but failed to make an appearance during their 2002–03 promotion success following the signing of Denis Irwin and a knee ligament injury.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barry Douglas (39 appearances)

On 1 July 2017, he was signed by manager Nuno Espírito Santo for English Championship club Wolverhampton Wanderers for an undisclosed fee on a two-year deal with a year's option in the club's favour.[18] He made his debut for the club on 5 August 2017 in a 1–0 win against Middlesbrough at Molineux.[19] He scored his first goal a week later, in a 2–0 win away against Derby County.[20] On 22 November 2017, Douglas scored a long range freekick in a 4–1 win against Leeds United.[21] He was nominated for the EFL Championship Player of The Month award for November 2017.[22]

Douglas picked up a winner's medal during the 2017–18 EFL Championship with Wolves winning the league, contributing five goals and 14 assists from the left back position.[23] His tally of assists also saw him finish joint-top (with Robert Snodgrass) of the relevant charts in the EFL Championship.[24]

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure he really got cult hero status, but wasn't here for too long and did OK whilst here

Dougie Freedman
30 appearances

2 goal in 2 games whilst on loan
then 13 in the season (top scorer)
Sold after Robbie Keane became first choice

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jackie McNamara was a classy and composed player amongst the young and hungry types we had in the team.

Going WAY back Allan Nielsen felt like the one that got away for us when we had him on loan. Thought he oozed class.

And around the same time Fernando Gomes was quite unlike anyone I’d seen in a Wolves shirt, only here for a season, but boy did he seem an exotic player to me (I was probably all of 12 Y/O at the time).

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Freddie Eastwood (31)
A lot of people thought he was the new messiah. Went down the leagues scoring a goal every 6 games.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was going to say George Ndah, then looked at his wiki and realised he played 87 games for us!

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How about Darren Roberts ?

Played 12 games for Wolves in the 1992/93 season and scored 5 goals. Three of which were a debut hat-trick at St Andrews on a Sunday afternoon in a Central TV live match !

He is that much of an " Under the Radar cult hero " it took me a while to remember his name :p:p:p:p

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was going to say George Ndah, then looked at his wiki and realised he played 87 games for us!

Arguably still the most exciting player I’ve watched in a Wolves shirt (if you factor in his cost ratio to the likes we watch today).

Gutted he never really recovered from his injury. But I doubt I’ve celebrated much more wildly (nor he probably) than when he scored that goal at Molineux vs WBA.

Had he and Akinbiyi stayed fit together, I think promotion would have been a real possibility.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wanted to put Danny Crainie in here but he actually made 71 appearances over 3 season for us so as @Hoganstolemywife set the bar at 50 I cannot do it.

Shane Westley makes it in on 48 games. The bloke Vinny Jones wanted no part of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Emmanuel Frimpong, whether it was deserved or not is another matter but was liked and liked Wolves as well. Hasn't he said since he always looks out for our results and stuff? From five appearances!
That's because Frimpong is a verb and after a tackle by said form of speech, the recipient is considered to have been well and truly 'Frimponged'

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Henri Camara -POTS winner

30 games 7 goals.

He has a son called Henri Camara Jr so I guess that African player of the year award is still on!!!

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Denes Rosa - 9 app 2 goals
1647434580112.png

and

Temur Ketsbaia - 1647434664780.png

and Finkle - Brazilian we all went nuts (sorry) over Pre Season.

Back
Top Bottom