Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves-Albion verdict - Why are we so soft? Men against boys

Wanderer Til I Die

Reaction score
Cant expect to get results with sloppy defending like that. In fairness we were good going forward, Neto and Silva in particular were our 2 bright sparks but it was like we went to sleep start of the second half and switched off defensively.

The players let us down today, knowing how much this game meant to us. Above all else, they have let themselves down, for all our good attacking play, you cant expect to win when you concede 3, cheap goals like that. 69% possession, 23 shots and **** all to show for it. Its not about possession, its what you do with that possession.

Very, very poor. Nuno and the boys will be under huge pressure now, and they only have themselves to blame.

Super NES

Groupie
Reaction score
WBA first goal - no penalty - definitely outside box
WBA 2nd goal - elbow on Neves?
WBA 3rd goal - questionable penalty?

3 questionable decisions.

But that aside, they looked capable on the ball (I said they were).
We need to change our mentality - 1st goal, Boly doesn't dive in no pen. 2nd goal, we organise ourselves correctly and neves isn't going in for a header hes not winning less chance of conceding 3rd goal, its unfortunate but a silly pen to give away.

After too many games we are saying if only....if only villa didn't get a pen, if only Newcastle didn't get an equaliser, if only united didn't get a goal in the last minute. Its no longer an odd occurrence, and the sooner we realise we need to be doing more ourselves to win points the better.

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s nothing to do with location.....I just won’t give up on Nuno and the players so easily....especially on here where every WBA fan can see it and gloat.
We just played our local rivals for the first time in nearly a decade, didn't bother showing up and embarrassed ourselves. Given that, what did you think the response to "get over it" would be?

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was fun whilst it lasted
Neto will be gone
Neves too
Probably Adama
And yes I’m a drama queen

is a real risk in the summer.
Albion has 8 points at the start of that game; they won this game because they had heart, desire, and organisation, basically everything we lacked! They knew what this fixture means. Boly and Silva aside, every Wolves player should be utterly ashamed of themselves. Not a man with remotely the same passion as Bartley for them. This felt like a bad acid flashback to the 5-1 game, it feels like a game where the tides may turn against Nuno.
Neto should be excluded from criticism also. He did more than anyone to try to turn it around for us including some fabulous runs and crosses that no one got on the end of.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva flinging himself down in the area and getting carded for it just about sums us up. Pathetic.

North Bank

Reaction score
Gutted, fuming, etc etc but it’s days like today why I never became smug when Wolves were in Europe while our rivals were in relegation battles or trying to get out of championship.

In my 24 years supporting wolves, no matter how successful or poor our seasons have been, generally we have been terrible in local derbies. It’s almost inevitable that there’s so much build up and then so much let down.

On the game itself, we defender poorly. Gifted them 2 penalties with soft tackles, the other goal was poor defending of a set piece. Going forward we looked ok, created plenty but as per the rest of the season we didn’t have anyone on the end of crosses. Pleased for Silva getting his first proper goal and a cool finish.

We’ve lost that defensive edge and we’ve lost our killer instinct going forward. Something needs to change and by no means do I mean that Nuno needs to go but the starting XI needs a shake up.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We actually looked better going forward than we have in ages. Admittedly isn’t a tough challenge. Silva, Neto and Adama all looked a threat.

But... as a team we were horrible.

How many more times do we need to see that midfield 3 before somebody realises it doesn’t work very well anymore?

Why is so much goal scoring emphasis put on Donk when he is a terrible finisher?

Why can’t Saiss win a header?

Why can’t we go back to 3 at the back and get through this season then draw a line under it?

Im seriously concerned because we can match any team in-play but it’s the issues at both ends that are crucial and this is what could be terminal for us if we get stuck in this rut.

It’s ok saying we are too good to go down and that we have better players and have been unlucky in a lot of games but it’s got to the point where conceding more goals and scoring less goals than the opposition every game can’t be put down to bad luck.

PLEASE JEFF, PLEASE GIVE NUNO MONEY THIS JANUARY AND SAVE THE SEASON.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You know the worst thing is, they would know how albion would attack. Would have done this on the training pitch, picked a big side, and we still cannot deal with it.

If the answers and solutions are within the squad, then genuinely I am worried for the rest of this season. The soft centre we've suddenly developed this year seems to come in a back 5 or 4. How do you change that?

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just **** off Nuno. **** off. Watford semi, Sevilla QF, today, any ****ing game that means anything you choke. You’ve just been out thought by Sam ****ing Allardyce. Go. And take half the ****ing powderpuff team with you. Last 2 days you’ve spoke a good game. Just a pity you don’t play a good game.

**** off.
Just **** off WV10Wolf....

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have a project. A business project, naturally.
People are going to be very disappointed at that reality. We are all just consumers now, not fans. Fosun know how to talk when they do and people have stars in their eyes. The reality of the situation is Wolves are an investment vehicle. As long as Wolves stay up, they can keep cashing tv money and launder youngster assets to resell in a few years. Winning is secondary and is just talk to placate the fans. No one at Wolves actually cares today about the BCD.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watch it again, Robinson is in his down too there’s no difference, none at all
There really is. Semedo jumped into the defender and caused the contact, Coady kicks him twice. It was soft but definitely a penalty and not the reason we lost today.

bennymacca

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That was rubbish.
Very poor defensive errors. Didn’t get the rub of the green with decisions but very poor pressure at the end. We had the same players that had the one of the tightest defences in the league the last two seasons.

Only pluses are that we have Boly back and looking dangerous when he goes forward and Silva scored.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beyond furious with that utter crap today. Looks a mess from top to bottom at Wolves at the moment. Two crap summer transfer windows in a row coming home to roost now and Nuno looks beaten. We are in serious trouble. Chelsea in the league next where we have no hope of getting any sort of result with the defending and our crap attacking. The Chorley game I am dreading now to be honest. It has become a complete shambles. Nuno said today was a must win. What does he say now?

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which way is that? Sideways and backwards?
Keeping possession is important, I like to see it and thanks to Nuno we have wonderful technical players able to do it.. Today defensively at set pieces particularly we were again at fault, just like Everton. I think we were unlucky not to score more, Boly, Cutrone and Silva all came close to adding to our tally.

YamYamWolf

Reaction score
Some of the stuff I'm reading is laughable. We used to be **** so being **** now is fine. **** off. I'm no glory fan, I've been a st holder since 97 (born in 92). That right there was a ****ing shambles. In fact it has been since we started playing again after first lockdown.

We are currently awful and not one player is void of criticism. Some of you saying neto should be void, sorry he does the same as adama and he gets slagged off every week.

Every single player on that pitch today can hold their heads in shame. Connor Coady, for the one person in that team who is giving these interviews claiming you know what it's all about and you go out and play like that as our captain. **** off.

Yes emotions are high but we are heading into a relegation scrap. We have talented players, we play like a ****e. Who's fault is that. Is it the players who are so highly rated? Or is it the tactics?

You cant even say ohhhh were missing raul. We were **** with him in the team. Theres no excuses. Somethings got to give. And seeing that post match interview where he clearly doesnt care. This is just another game to you but to the fans its everything. You talk about the fans like we are a massive part of the team well appreciate that this is our game. This is the one you needed everyone up for it. We were a ****ing mess

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of the comments on here suggesting an Allardyce masterclass and being outplayed are simply ludicrous.
Two stupid individual mistakes cost us the game.
As for set pieces, we caused them plenty of problems.
Those suggesting Neto was half-hearted need to look at his frustration after every fantastic ball into the box which was wasted.
While I get the back five argument I do think the only way we progress as a team is with 4 at the back, but 4 or 5 doesn’t stop the crazy individual errors and we probably need a better defender to go to a 4.
Nuno looks deflated and as a team we are simply throwing away points at the moment when the overall performance is good enough for at least a draw if not all three points.
We all know we needed a striker when Raul got hurt and while I get how hard it is at the moment, the silence from the Club is deafening.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Our eye has been taken off the here and now.We might have signed some for the future but our core business is the here and now .It isn’t as if just a striker would cure our ills .Drop 4 at the back ,get some pace size and physicality in midfield and some form of physical presence up top .
Ever since we joined the PL we have been the sum of the parts .At the moment most of our parts are on the shelves at Halford’s

Focke Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
P*** poor minus. I choose my words carefully, but unfortunately i saw two evenly matched teams out there today, and we were just beaten to it by a team that played with more passion. We are lacking quality players in all areas of the pitch. Nuno looked worried continually in the second half and the team were really devoid of ideas. Too lightweight all round. The defense were terrible in a four and a simple set piece undid us again. Rui sometimes looks like he's playing with divers boots on and up front we lack cohesion. We're like a tank that rumbles into the battleground only to realize that we've forgot the ammo. I think we're in a massive fight now in every single game. Lets hope we have the heart for the fight. Plus point - we scored 2 goals and Silva got one of them. COYW.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The 2 penalties were stupid challenges to make and not the 1st time (Semedo v Villa / Coady v Newcastle come to mind) but should be straight forward to drill into the players not to repeat.

Biggest disappointment was that after going 3-2 down we had 35 mins to come back but posed very little threat at all. This sits with the bulk of the team and Nuno collectively as the players are good enough ability-wise to carry more of a threat but didn't.

Rugrats

Reaction score
1) So what is now clearly a one man team we have decided not to replace that one man, oh wait but we have recalled someone who's scored 8 times in his last 78 games !! Genius management

2) Patricio can you just 'kin stand still mate - as you go 20 minutes early we know the result before they've kicked it!

3) Morgan Gibbs-White - has he got a video of Nuno or something ? - the most overrated Wolves player since Andy Keogh. Doesn't score, doesn't assist, came on today, launched two massively overhit passes when we needed possession, got caught in possession like a schoolboy and did what ? Waste of a shirt !

This isn't pant wetting - it is blindingly obvious observations and you cannot see that side involved in anything other than a relegation battle - 3 goals at home to West Brom ffs !

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Gutted, fuming, etc etc but it’s days like today why I never became smug when Wolves were in Europe while our rivals were in relegation battles or trying to get out of championship.

In my 24 years supporting wolves, no matter how successful or poor our seasons have been, generally we have been terrible in local derbies. It’s almost inevitable that there’s so much build up and then so much let down.

On the game itself, we defender poorly. Gifted them 2 penalties with soft tackles, the other goal was poor defending of a set piece. Going forward we looked ok, created plenty but as per the rest of the season we didn’t have anyone on the end of crosses. Pleased for Silva getting his first proper goal and a cool finish.

We’ve lost that defensive edge and we’ve lost our killer instinct going forward. Something needs to change and by no means do I mean that Nuno needs to go but the starting XI needs a shake up.
Perfect analysis, agree 100%. I’m ****ing furious and was really down anyway so of course this doesn’t help, however let’s get Podence & Marcel back soon and keep a couple of clean sheets and things might change quickly. A new player normally helps to.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were excellent down both flanks.
Neto, Traore, Semedo really put themselves about, with some superb crosses.
No one to take advantage though.
Fabio had his best game for us and showed class.
Nuno looked disinterested throughout the game. His post match interview was subdued and very low key.
Something has to change PDQ .
We're witnessing something that we haven't experienced for 3 years and it hurts.

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry Nuno but I sincerely hope you are out of job by tonight.

As for me, that's me finishing with Wolves. I dont live there, nowhere the city, it is not worth the mental anguish.
Please , please let that be true.

SB_Upper

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The ONLY positive is that Fabio took his goal well.

That's it. That's literally it.

We can't defend (especially in a 4), we can't create, and on the rare occasion we do create we can't score.

Albion probably should have scored 4 or 5 that game, and that's down to our defending.

And yes, the way we defend IS Nuno's fault.

Back
Top Bottom