Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Will we score against Brighton?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure about us,but its almost a given that Lewis Dunk will score a header from a corner,after we inexplicably leave Neves to mark him.
I was going to say, no way will Brighton score.
Then I remembered that. Although that would be the first corner we’ve conceded from under Bruno, so you never know.

Personally I’d be playing Podence, Hwang and Trincao. A proper fluid front 3 and hope they can make something happen for a 1-0, then we can properly appreciate our recent defensive excellence.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In open play? The odds must be heavily stacked against it. A penalty maybe? We are due one. We hardly spend any time in the opponents penalty area, but law of averages? Or from a corner. A 1-0 win with a goal from a short corner would do. :D

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm in the 'law of averages' camp.

I don't have the stats to hand but I can't imagine the rubbish Derby County side went on a spell of scoring 1 in 7! Will check now...

Edit: They did, went seven games without a goal. (we're currently four, watch out Derby, we're coming for your record.)

Sheffield United are the other lowest ever scorers in a Premier League season (20 in 38 games) but they didn't ever score 1 in 7.

That's the territory we're in. Absolutely embarrassing & shameful really given the players we have.

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. He's not as fast or as strong as Adama, not as direct as Neto, but he has genuine football intelligence from an attacking perspective.
Actually, imo, he’s MORE direct than Neto. He understands more than anybody, barring Raul of course, that the whole purpose of of dressing grown men in uniforms and putting them on a ‘field’ with a ball is to score as many goals as you can.
I just hope that some of our attackers don’t get frustrated with the way we play like Jota did and want to leave.

You really have to wonder how many goals Silva or Jose Williams would have scored if playing for, eg, Leeds last season?
I suspect they would have done ok

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we will score and win the game. Podence to run the show.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think those expecting us to ever go back to a back 4 are going to be disappointed. Our whole team is set up with a back 3 in mind, even a good quality CB signing is probably not going to change that.

There are definitely ways to get a back 3 going better in attack though.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aside from a setpiece (already reliant on RAN not Moutinho taking the deadball) or Adama scoring one of his "once every blue moon" thrashes toward the opposition goal, I just don't see us scoring.

It's not that the goals alone have dried up, it's the chance creation - the combination of the right creative play, the penalty box movement to attack the areas of danger and then the composure to convert a chance is just non-existent.

The West Ham game wasn't just our only goal in the last 6 games, it was also the only game in those 6 matches where we had an xG reaching 1, so it's not even like we have been in any way "unlucky" with the opposition defence having a blinder or us being hugely wasteful in front of goal as in the opening games of the season.

Last edited:

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aside from a setpiece or Adama scoring one of his "once every blue moon" thrashes toward the opposition goal, I just don't see us scoring.

It's not that the goals alone have dried up, it's the chance creation - the combination of the right creative play, the penalty box movement to attack the areas of danger and then the composure to convert a chance are just non-existent.
It's a disgrace and an embarrassment
really with the players we have. Things have to change.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely he would have been suspended for one anyway as he had received 5 yellows.

Good question, I've looked around and there's not much info, but from what I can tell, the 2 yellows become a red and therefore don't count as yellows towards the 5/10 yellows limit. (although maybe the first yellow might, hard to tell but I don't believe he has hit the 5 yellow limit either way).

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good question, I've looked around and there's not much info, but from what I can tell, the 2 yellows become a red and therefore don't count as yellows towards the 5/10 yellows limit. (although maybe the first yellow might, hard to tell but I don't believe he has hit the 5 yellow limit either way).
I thought they said on BT he had with the first yellow but maybe they/me are wrong.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. We will setup to secure a goaless point. Hopefully we can do that for the full 90 plus extras.

This is my fear as well. How Bruno sets us up on Wednesday will either confirm he has turned into Gary Megson or is prepared to start properly having a go at teams again.

geowolf

Reaction score
Fabio - bullet header from outside the box - heralds a deluge of goals for the rest of December. Come January we'll have our 6'6" CF to aim at as well.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought they said on BT he had with the first yellow but maybe they/me are wrong.

Yeah he had his 5th with the first yellow but then the 2nd yellow turned it into a red so he's back to 4 yellows. I think that's what happened. The official stats pages are showing him on 4 yellows and I'm sure they've been updated since the game.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah he had his 5th with the first yellow but then the 2nd yellow turned it into a red so he's back to 4 yellows. I think that's what happened. The official stats pages are showing him on 4 yellows and I'm sure they've been updated since the game.
Swings and roundabouts. He suspended for one but now back on 4 yellows and 1 away from another suspension.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Covid outbreak in the Brighton squad, at least 3 tested positive so far and they already have their first 3 central defenders out with injury/suspension and another half dozen sidelined. If we can't score on Wednesday we may as well give up.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes.
Max Kilman with a bullet header.

He's already magnificent with the ball at his feet (world class Futsal level). The last piece of improvement is being honed.
His targeting apparatus is getting fine tuned with every game. ;)

It's all the practice he gets defending against set pieces.
You like our Max don't ya?

(#metoo by the way, he's ****ing brilliant).

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually, imo, he’s MORE direct than Neto. He understands more than anybody, barring Raul of course, that the whole purpose of of dressing grown men in uniforms and putting them on a ‘field’ with a ball is to score as many goals as you can.
The point is to make sure you score more goals than the opposition.

I just hope that some of our attackers don’t get frustrated with the way we play like Jota did and want to leave.

You really have to wonder how many goals Silva or Jose Williams would have scored if playing for, eg, Leeds last season?
I suspect they would have done ok

It's all very mysterious, isn't it? I see your point - maybe they would have been decent goal scorers. Or maybe they wouldn't. Pretty much our same back line (OK, switch Kilman and Boly as both imperious at their best and not entirely disimilar in style, languid but rarely beaten) and midfield was the springboard for us to score a fair few more. What has changed?

Possibly it's how to move the ball from the back 3 to the front. We seem to be trying too many long balls that aren't working. Adama for one, rarely does anything running on to the ball, he is far more dangerous picking the ball up and running from deep. Something like the goal against West Ham, that was worked in training. I don't understand why we've not looked remotely like repeating anything like that again.

Back
Top Bottom