Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wilder Gone

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Out of context he’s done well to last this long. Sheffield Utd have been truly abysmal this season. However, you often talk about managers with “credit in the back” and he had more than enough in my opinion, to be given a crack at next season back in the Championship.

Who they bring in will be interesting, surely they need to be looking for someone to challenge for promotion next season?

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A shame, having bought them so far.
Inevitable though.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would imagine Wilder wants to invest in players for an immediate return.
The board are probably much more conservative and want to run the club with a cushion of surplus funds.
Both are understandable.
A new manager would be needed , one grateful,for the opportunity to run a top Championship club.
He's spent money, but not spent it well.

They've spent £110m or so since being in the prem

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
22/26 defeats in the league this season is always going to put you under some degree of pressure no matter how much credit you have in the bank. Especially after having spent a fair amount on several players clearly not good enough. It's incredible what they managed last season though.

I look at Norwich slightly differently in the sense that I actually thought they massively under-performed last season given some of the talent they had. On paper, they had a better squad than Sheffield United and arguably still do now.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His got promoted with a team full of guys i really liked from the lower league. Lots of "My guys". But he hasn't improved on them.

I don't I've the keeper they brought. CBs have got worse and smaller and don't like any of the strikers.
The poor replacement of Henderson has cost them a lot of points this season..... look at how many games he kept the result positive with an absolute worldly!! Ramsdale has let in so many goals that a decent keeper would stop

ramsdale is championship at best..... he can’t dive as he has very little power in his spring as he just can’t get up off the ground very high or across his goal well with any decent speed, he has poor hands and has very little in the way of good footwork or positioning. He is by far the worst number one in the league......

They didn’t recruit well there as he let some stinkers in for Bournemouth the season before

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would imagine Wilder wants to invest in players for an immediate return.
The board are probably much more conservative and want to run the club with a cushion of surplus funds.
Both are understandable.
A new manager would be needed , one grateful,for the opportunity to run a top Championship club.
More the other way round I’d say, they’ve got a Saudi Prince who owns them. He’s got all sort of plans to redevelop the ground and push on.

It’s a massive appointment to get right. They really need to get back up at the first attempt (presuming there’s no miracle). Would recommend not to appoint any chrome dome Norwegians.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of context he’s done well to last this long. Sheffield Utd have been truly abysmal this season. However, you often talk about managers with “credit in the back” and he had more than enough in my opinion, to be given a crack at next season back in the Championship.

Who they bring in will be interesting, surely they need to be looking for someone to challenge for promotion next season?
Their poor form actually started at the back end of last season as they slid down the table.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And yet still got relegated spending a lot of money.

Ramsdale - 25m
Berge - 20m
Mousset - 15m
Brewster - 25m
McBurnie - 20m

Could go on....
Berge bargain. However if they’d spent all of that striker money on one actually decent one, they might have got somewhere.
Ramsdale is the worst £20+m keeper I’ve ever seen. Makes Kepa look worth his 70.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Sheff Utd are already a championship team with 10 games to go. Whatever they do is of no interest to premier league wolves.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sheff Utd are already a championship team with 10 games to go. Whatever they do is of no interest to premier league wolves
You've never heard the new manager lift to a team then. Which may interest us as we play Sheffield Utd in a few weeks time.

PulverWolf

Reaction score
Not a good Premier league manager so its no surprise - just had a lucky season by playing strange tactics (centre backs playing as attacking mids) and overloading the attack.
Just caught teams off guard last season same as Bielsa at Leeds this season. Championship level at best .

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Small margins, they've lost a lot of games by 1 goal

Neves wolf

Reaction score
Sky sports are now saying he’s set to leave after weeks of disagreements but the owners have been trying to resolve the disagreements

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really good manager, shocking decision by Sheff Utd if they have instigated this. Shades of Mick being sacked here.

Nothing like Mick being sacked in my view.
McCarthy had shown he was a limited manager who couldnt take Wolves to a higher level and should have left after the Blackburn game.
Wilder did well in their first season up, this season has been a disater for them but should have been given the chance to get them back up.

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
And yet still got relegated spending a lot of money.

Ramsdale - 25m
Berge - 20m
Mousset - 15m
Brewster - 25m
McBurnie - 20m

Could go on....

Ramsdale is a ridiculous waste of £25m - he might come good in a few years but at the moment he can't keep the ball out the net - pretty big flaw for a keeper!!

McBurnie looked terrible in his brief time in the Prem before and Brewster is the latest in a long long line of Liverpool kids that have failed to live up to the hype...

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know the Silva fee was high, and he’s a long way from the finished article, but I think you can see why we’ve spent the money. His potential is huge. Spending £70/75 million on Brewster, Mcburnie and Ramsdale is pretty wild. I wouldn’t have been super excited if we signed them in the Championship. I certainly wouldn’t have spent any more than £25 million for the three if I was hell bent on signing them.

I’d probably take John Ruddy over Ramsdale tbh. Brewster looks no better than someone like Benik Afobe to me and Mcburnie has always looked really poor whenever I’ve seen him. £70/75 million!!!

Last edited:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is about 1000/1 but could we please appoint him DofF with immediate effect? We desperately need someone with his type of knowledge of the English leagues.

Wilder is leaving because Sheff Utd want to bring in a director of football. They want to bring in a director of football because his transfer record with money to spend has been atrocious. You want to bring in Wilder to be in charge of our transfers??

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
Really good manager, shocking decision by Sheff Utd if they have instigated this. Shades of Mick being sacked here.
Agree, and although Sheff Utd are bottom of the league and very likely to be relegated, Wolves remained outside relegation positions and despite poor form retained a good chance of stopping up!

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Still not actually gone!
Interesting new contact incoming
Didn’t he say he was resigning when they got promoted? I’m seem to remember villa fans wanting him to replace smith

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing is the £20m for mcburnie says it all for me. Yes there are some good players in champ, and maybe some bargains to be found. But for those advocating plundering champ for experienced players - that’s what your £20m gets you.
Looking at his stats, one good season at Swansea in championship and all of a sudden price is at least quadrupled. In reality looking at his stats, id say he should be in the £2-5m category.

so whilst I actually do quite like wilder, he and his team have been found out this season. As others have said, huff and puff will only take you so far.

6F493DC4-ED8F-46E0-9B94-1FD3FD4766FC.jpg

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a good Premier league manager so its no surprise - just had a lucky season by playing strange tactics (centre backs playing as attacking mids) and overloading the attack.
Just caught teams off guard last season same as Bielsa at Leeds this season. Championship level at best .

I agree with this. Watched them on TV a few times last season and could never see what was special about them. They had a lot of energy, still had momentum from the promotion, saved by their goalie more than a few times, defended stoutly and worked on their set pieces. Typical Championship , basically.

Not surprised they have struggled this season. Though the extent of it is very surprising. It was mentioned that their starting record was the worst by any team in the top division since the first season in 1888! This was about 15 matches in, I think. They've improved a bit since then, but are still down there as one of the worst ever.

As for Wilder, will be interesting to see if he is a "one hit wonder". He seemed to show more tactical nous than most. Remember after our first match with them last season, he was asked on Traore who was wreaking havoc at that point but did nothing v sheff utd. Wilder replied he knew Traore gets past his man every time, so he allowed for this and instead worked on covering and clearing the inevitable cross. It worked too and now you see other teams adopt this approach. But other managers couldn't figure it out, I think Wilder was the first.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shocking decision......you would like to think that despite a bad season there wasn't any Sheffield United fans calling for him to go.... But then again we have all read this forum the last 12 months...
I live up in Sheffield, with an even split between Blades and Owls in my local, and can say that before this current lockdown there was unanimous support for Wilder. It's a bit sad because if he had got them relegated last season they'd probably have kept him and come straight back up... as it is Wilder probably raised the owner's expectations and may have suffered as a consequence. He hoisted his own petard.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I live up in Sheffield, with an even split between Blades and Owls in my local, and can say that before this current lockdown there was unanimous support for Wilder. It's a bit sad because if he had got them relegated last season they'd probably have kept him and come straight back up... as it is Wilder probably raised the owner's expectations and may have suffered as a consequence. He hoisted his own petard.
Yes.. He is a victim off his own success in reality . Still find it bizarre as they are gone.. So who better to bring them back up.....but it may be mutual decision...... Its another decent away day gone... Would rather go to Sheffield utd than Norwich or Watford etc...

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes.. He is a victim off his own success in reality . Still find it bizarre as they are gone.. So who better to bring them back up.....but it may be mutual decision...... Its another decent away day gone... Would rather go to Sheffield utd than Norwich or Watford etc...
Norwich is great apart from the journey through tractor country. One of the best city centres for pubs and never any trouble. But yes, Sheffield is great and Watford is miserable so a shame.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Norwich is OK.. We found a great pub last time but as you say its the journey... I bumped into a few Sheffield utd fans in Portugal during the nations league finals with England.... The summer they came up.... Was a bit ****ed and was telling em they would be crap in the premiership... Last season when they did well I thought I bet them laughing at what I was saying.... But nw I think I was right just a season out..... Think Henderson was a big loss for them... But rumours are the players were all after pay rises.....never minded visiting sheff utd... Always had an edge and ya had to watch ya back at times but didn't mind that..... They might bounce back but it isn't easy as we nw..

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am very surprised. I would imagine there were disagreements between Wilder and the board. Wilder will get another job easily enough, will Sheffield United get back to the premier league so easily? I doubt it.

D

Deleted member 8913

Which is why 95% of Wolves fans have never wanted him sacked, even after a string of poor performances and results.
And 95% of fans don’t bother with messageboards...but that other 5% includes the vocal minority with strong opinions ...many with opinions which reflect a very small minority.

not me of course.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is mental.... he IS mr Sheffield Utd......

what a bad bad decision, he will be back in a job in no time
I think that tag is a tad OTT. He's been there less than 5 years and less than 250 games

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sheffield United players obviously didn't want Wilder to leave. Nothing else could explain that gutless surrender this afternoon. A Sunday pub team would have tried harder.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sheff Utd are already a championship team with 10 games to go. Whatever they do is of no interest to premier league wolves.
Until they beat us in a few weeks.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It feels a bit like us when we sacked Mick and appointed Connor. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get another point this season.

Back
Top Bottom