Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wilder Gone

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Did a great job with Sheff Utd with limited resources - although signing McBurnie and Brewster for a combined fee of just shy of £40 million is some bad business.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a more serious note how many of their players would you want in our team? How much has their team cost compared to ours?
So has Wilder got more out of his squad per buck than Nuno has out of ours?

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a more serious note how many of their players would you want in our team? How much has their team cost compared to ours?
No?

Unless I missed sheff United playing in Europe, or finishing 7th twice

They've spent over £50m in the summer just gone and over £60m the summer before.

For all that the only decent player they bought was Berge. They've wasted £90m out of £110m spent

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd think Brewster and McBurnie would get a decent amount of goals for them at that level.

I'd be having a good look at Berge for us though

Yeah, they should do. But Doyle and Ebanks got 23 between them in our double dip season.

I like the look of Berge too.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Heard rumours he refused to work with a Director of Football on transfers, which when youve spent over £50million on Brewster and Mcburnie it might not be such a bad idea. And so i can see it from that perspective.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He will be immediately fated by some as better than Nuno, like he had nothing to do with being bottom of the league. I guess that's largely because they surprisingly stayed the pace for most of last season. There will be 'other factors' quoted of course, not that 'other factors' are in play when discussing Nuno, it's all his fault we are only 12th and not in the goals.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Probably none of them as immediate starters.

Berge has already been mentioned and I've always liked the look of Ampadu. I know he's on loan from Chelsea, but they might be tempted with a cheeky bid.

Last edited:

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least wilder can trot out the rubbish that allaydice, lambert, pullis and Mccarthy do... They have haven't got a club relegated from the premiership...

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The problem they got is that only Wilder would get that group of players to achieve things. Unless they're gonna do a huge squad overhaul, no manager will do anything with that squad, particularly when their star players get picked off. Very similar to us with McCarthy. They too could also face a double dip relegation. A strikeforce of McBurnie, Sharp, Brewster and McGoldrick is barely championship standard in my opinion.
Also think you gotta be mad to suggest Wilder would be good for us. As other's have said he's in the lower prem/championship class of manager unfortunately, and if we had him as a manager that's where we would be.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder what Wilder's odds were to go at the start of the season?

The blades Forum makes interesting reading

epic

Groupie
Reaction score
He plays the "fine margins - playing against experienced Premier League clubs" card every week.
Sheffield United are not bottom of the league just through bad luck !!
The way he says sumfink instead of something and wiv instead of with really grinds my gears too - only Bielsa in the Premier League speaks worse English !!

D

Deleted member 11332

Probably none of them as immediate starters.

Berge has always been mentioned and I've always liked the look of Ampadu. I know he's on loan from Chelsea, but they might be tempted with a cheeky bid.

O'Connell is their best defender by a mile but been injured this year. He'd be a good signing for anyone outside the top 2.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hes a modern day Mick McCarthy for me. Great bloke, good honest team with the right attitude but the next level when there is money to be spent, he's been a horror show. He's faced the same questions as Bilic did at Tesco, in so much that when you have such a tight budget and you spend it on junk, the people above arent going to be happy. The fact Billy Sharp still plays for them speaks volumes.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't hire him if I was a premiership club. The overlapping CBs are unique and everything but they seem to offer nothing but set plays and deep crosses. Spent a lot of money and not improved since going up.
I think the lack of success in the transfer market is one of his primary problems.

Did great assembling a squad to get to the prem but his record spending the premier league millions - with the exception of Berge, who I think will be world class - has been horrendous.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My colleague is a blades fan/season ticket holder, although he’s sad to see him go he’s also said that if it’s true he left because he didn’t want a DOF coming in then it’s right he goes, as in his words “they are in desperate need of one after the amount of money they’ve spent on crap” lol

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is mental.... he IS mr Sheffield Utd......

what a bad bad decision, he will be back in a job in no time

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is about 1000/1 but could we please appoint him DofF with immediate effect? We desperately need someone with his type of knowledge of the English leagues.
Definitely not! His transfer record since they came up has been poor(Brewster, McBurnie to name but 2 and they cost a lot). As a manager though I think that he is excellent (not as good as Nuno though!)

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has been behaving a bit oddly past few weeks.
I’d noticed this too, his whole demeanour and outlook noticeably seemed to have changed , he seemed to start being very negative all of a sudden.

He has suffered badly from injuries this year, I still thought they could get out of it at around Christmas time if maybe they signed a decent striker in January, but hasn’t happened.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind us taking a look at Berge and O’Connell. I’d have backed Wilder to get them back up at the first attempt, will be interesting to see who they bring in?

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the lack of success in the transfer market is one of his primary problems.

Did great assembling a squad to get to the prem but his record spending the premier league millions - with the exception of Berge, who I think will be world class - has been horrendous.

His got promoted with a team full of guys i really liked from the lower league. Lots of "My guys". But he hasn't improved on them.

I don't I've the keeper they brought. CBs have got worse and smaller and don't like any of the strikers.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

He’s done a completely amazing job. One of the best achievements ever with.a midrange club.

However, I think he’s run out of ideas so best get rid. In fact they probably should have got rid even if they finished twelfth!

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem they got is that only Wilder would get that group of players to achieve things. Unless they're gonna do a huge squad overhaul, no manager will do anything with that squad, particularly when their star players get picked off. Very similar to us with McCarthy. They too could also face a double dip relegation. A strikeforce of McBurnie, Sharp, Brewster and McGoldrick is barely championship standard in my opinion.
Also think you gotta be mad to suggest Wilder would be good for us. As other's have said he's in the lower prem/championship class of manager unfortunately, and if we had him as a manager that's where we would be.
A very encouraging post for any Shef W fan. :D :D

D

Deleted member 11157

Seen this so many times. Average players lose the mental capacity to keep the standard - especially when the £'s start rolling in.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good luck to him, hope he doesn’t end up at albion

players I’d take off Sheffield Utd - Egan, Berge and Lundstram (free)

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
passion gets you a long way in football - but not all the way and not for long

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Done a great job overall but this year he's been found out big time and played the victim too often.
Really over paid for some average players, i if given another chance at the Premier league i can only see him failing.
Kept hearing about his attacking centre backs but i never really saw his exciting football he supposedly had his team playing.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had a big debate around this time last season about them being best ever promoted team,i think ive been proved correct that they werent, both in where they tailed off last season and this seasons relegation

Wilder did a great job getting them up and their work ethic payed off to certain extent in the first half of last season
Work ethic only gets you so far,as im sure Leeds will find out,although they do have some quality players tbf,whereas Sheff had very few if any,and havent really added enough quality to push on

He does strike me as more MM than Nuno,in his put a shift in style,and thats fine in the Championship but wont work in the Prem,and thats where he falls down im afraid

I wish him well ,as he seems a decent bloke ,if a bit of a moaner,but when things get tough i guess everyone looks for excuses

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would imagine Wilder wants to invest in players for an immediate return.
The board are probably much more conservative and want to run the club with a cushion of surplus funds.
Both are understandable.
A new manager would be needed , one grateful,for the opportunity to run a top Championship club.

Back
Top Bottom