Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Why does Morgan keep contradicting himself?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you noticed but in the past two months twice Morgan has completely contradicted himself in messages regarding the club and it's beginning to $$$$ me off.

The first one was the Terry Connor managerial vacancy incident. The quote was "This Wolves job is not for a novice, the next manager will need to be experienced in this league." He went completely back on that one didn't he by going out and in an act of desperation giving the job to somebody who has absolutely zilch managerial experience and look where that turned out to leave us.

The second one is VERY recent, it regards two statements he made during the space of a week about the Wolves treasure chest. Firstly, he came out in the end of season dinner and stated Wolves would have a "treasure chest" to spend on players. Then, a week later at the Stale Solbakken press conference this is what he said "“Of course he’s going to have money to spend but I’ve not said he will have a treasure chest,”.

Will you make your bloody mind up and stick to it next time please!

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah both statements really $$$$ed me off! Stale would never have agreed to become a manager unless he had funds to spend.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you noticed but in the past two months twice Morgan has completely contradicted himself in messages regarding the club and it's beginning to $$$$ me off.

The first one was the Terry Connor managerial vacancy incident. The quote was "This Wolves job is not for a novice, the next manager will need to be experienced in this league." He went completely back on that one didn't he by going out and in an act of desperation giving the job to somebody who has absolutely zilch managerial experience and look where that turned out to leave us.

The second one is VERY recent, it regards two statements he made during the space of a week about the Wolves treasure chest. Firstly, he came out in the end of season dinner and stated Wolves would have a "treasure chest" to spend on players. Then, a week later at the Stale Solbakken press conference this is what he said "“Of course he’s going to have money to spend but I’ve not said he will have a treasure chest,â€.

Will you make your bloody mind up and stick to it next time please!

I was going to raise this as a discussion myself.

Did he or did he not say it?

My bet is the Moxter has told him to put a lid on a potential 'Pandora's chest' so he has back-tracked....

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was going to raise this as a discussion myself.

Did he or did he not say it?

My bet is the Moxter has told him to put a lid on a potential 'Pandora's chest' so he has back-tracked....

He definitely said it mate, does make me wonder though whether that was just used simply as a ploy to keep the fans happy.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
He definitely said it mate, does make me wonder though whether that was just used simply as a ploy to keep the fans happy.

Doubt it!....be very very stupid!:dong:

On par with "not going through this again" almost.

W

wolfyjoe

didn't he say war chest?

definitely less cash in a war chest than a treasure chest.

WestChiltingtonwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Talking to fans at an end of season "do" saying you are going to spend big is different to a media briefing.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
didn't he say war chest?

definitely less cash in a war chest than a treasure chest.

Maybe he said 'war chest' to get hold (back) to the 'treasure chest?'

I'm sure I read a quote on an article stating it as the latter.....can't think where on the net it was....Guess & Stir perhaps?...anyone?

There must be someone on here who was there at the time....

mak1

Reaction score
Why do 'fans' keep slagging Morgan down on the slightest little thing? Can you guys just not back him and see what pans out? A new era is upon us, surely we should be all pulling in the same direction!?

M

MonkeySpanner

I think the money available will be from the sale of players. I don't see Morgan dipping too deep into his own pockets for Wolves. Most of the money used so far bar his building has been from monies generated from being in the Premiership.

S

SEKOTN

A war chest or treasure chest has to be better than a flat chest.

Think I need to get myself off to the drunk thread, but can't find the way...

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Why do 'fans' keep slagging Morgan down on the slightest little thing? Can you guys just not back him and see what pans out? A new era is upon us, surely we should be all pulling in the same direction!?

Not slagging him off.

Need to understand what he is saying, or possibly, not saying....

It's about the messages to the club members...

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why make mountains out of molehills? Yes He may of said it to a room full of Wolves fans but he doesn't want the papers to be splashing it around that we have money to spend as we all know it inflates a fee.
Yes he said it wasn't a job for a novice but circumstances dictated that TC be put in charge temporary. If Tc was appointed full time then you have a point but our new manager IS experienced and proven.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why make mountains out of molehills? Yes He may of said it to a room full of Wolves fans but he doesn't want the papers to be splashing it around that we have money to spend as we all know it inflates a fee.
Yes he said it wasn't a job for a novice but circumstances dictated that TC be put in charge temporary. If Tc was appointed full time then you have a point but our new manager IS experienced and proven.

That's regardless really isn't it? That was back in February when we had a chance of stopping up, when he made that decision to put Connor in change and we got relegated doesn't mean that things are now forgiven just because he made the right appointment at the wrong time does it?

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agreed, absolutely no need for this. Give the bloke a break, he has just made some very courageous and forward thinking decisions, that I imagine 90% of our fans are very pleased with and had been hoping to hear. So where`s the credit he should be getting for that.

What do we do instead, search for a pathetic little stick to beat him with. As far as I`m concerned this man is the best thing to have happened to Wolves for decades, and as he has shown recently, he`s not afraid to learn from mistakes and that makes him as good as it gets in my book.

Get off his back and support him,

S

SourCream&OnionUtd

Agreed, absolutely no need for this. Give the bloke a break, he has just made some very courageous and forward thinking decisions, that I imagine 90% of our fans are very pleased with and had been hoping to hear. So where`s the credit he should be getting for that.

What do we do instead, search for a pathetic little stick to beat him with. As far as I`m concerned this man is the best thing to have happened to Wolves for decades, and as he has shown recently, he`s not afraid to learn from mistakes and that makes him as good as it gets in my book.

Agree with this, and at the end of the day it's really just about getting bogged down in semantics anyway, isn't it? Nothing to get worked up over.

For instance, you say that Morgan has made some courageous decisions, and I would agree. But then I thought I read the other day that Morgan claimed that it wasn't necessarily "brave" to have appointed Solbakken.

I can't find the article or the context of the quote now, but I took it to mean that it was implied that by "brave", what the journo really probably meant was "risky".

And then of course there is humility to consider as well, as in when someone congratulates you for having done something brave or courageous, the natural inclination is to downplay the accolade for the sake of modesty.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score

I'm not beating him up about it to be honest....just can't understand the denial (well I can).....it's because it's not a 'little thing'...that's why he has denied it later... Which he should not have....better to just have left it.

I'm a Morgan fan. He has great plans for the club as seen, his appointment of Skoobs shows he has a genuine vision for the club.

I'm happy to put a padlock on it or brush it under the carpet!

I was going to get on to TC and question why he has felt it right to heap pressure on Skoobs, his boss!.... by stating the need and difficulty of getting straight back up!....incidentally something Morgan also defused later by stating it was not a 'must' requirement to do so... But I think I'll leave it! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A likely scenario was that Morgan has intentions of funding a push to get back up and said so in front of the fans.

Jez had a word about saying the same to the press as it pushes prices up if selling club think you have 'treasure'.

Ask Leicester last year (or us in the late '90's).

B

BigBadWolfie

Let's get off Morgan's back now.

I was highly critical of him over the season but he has started to regain my trust with the appointment of Solbakken.

It's was Moxey who said the job was not for a novice not Morgan, although he was just as culpable in the fiasco of appointing TC. If Solbakken turns out to be a masterstroke of an appointment we will look back and be thankful that Curbs turned us down. Only time will tell so let's unite and draw a line under last season.

Yes he did promise a war chest but as has already been stated he is reeling in expectations, because a) he'll be beaten with stick by some supporters if vast sums are not lavished (as this thread proves) and b) Agents will be over inflating players prices / wage demands.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Let's get off Morgan's back now.

I was highly critical of him over the season but he has started to regain my trust with the appointment of Solbakken.

It's was Moxey who said the job was not for a novice not Morgan, although he was just as culpable in the fiasco of appointing TC. If Solbakken turns out to be a masterstroke of an appointment we will look back and be thankful that Curbs turned us down. Only time will tell so let's unite and draw a line under last season.

Yes he did promise a war chest but as has already been stated he is reeling in expectations, because a) he'll be beaten with stick by some supporters if vast sums are not lavished (as this thread proves) and b) Agents will be over inflating players prices / wage demands.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is the issue and the crux of the matter!....better to have said he he meant 'War chest' as you want it or said nothing ...than to have denied saying it.....makes it worse IMO denying a known fact....

Live and learn....onwards and back up!

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not beating him up about it to be honest....just can't understand the denial (well I can).....it's because it's not a 'little thing'...that's why he has denied it later... Which he should not have....better to just have left it.

I'm a Morgan fan. He has great plans for the club as seen, his appointment of Skoobs shows he has a genuine vision for the club.

I'm happy to put a padlock on it or brush it under the carpet!

I was going to get on to TC and question why he has felt it right to heap pressure on Skoobs, his boss!.... by stating the need and difficulty of getting straight back up!....incidentally something Morgan also diffused later by stating it was not a 'must' requirement to do so... But I think I'll leave it! :D

Because if my 'little nose' sniffs anything it is because there is now some political fallout at the club for the first time in Morgan's tenure.

TC really felt he should have been given a chance next year I think.
Morgan appointed Stale off his own bat - no need for Jeff to be there.
Morgan states he is going to bring in a football director or suchlike.

It could just be that the comfy ease which some have been operating are having their egos dented - by an even bigger one.

As long as Morgan now gets the right people in and starts to put in a competent structure all well and good.The jury is still out for me with him but there are some signs of a winning mentality from the Chairman.

As for the having a go nonsense. No one is having a go just trying to evaluate what is going on. It has to be that way cause us pleb fans don't need to know much just keep buying the tat and the ST.

I am going to watch my step now though. If Morgan is starting to listen and is revolutionising the club I don't want to start off on the wrong foot when he offers fan ownership and I am on the board:eek:

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Because if my 'little nose' sniffs anything it is because there is now some political fallout at the club for the first time in Morgan's tenure.

TC really felt he should have been given a chance next year I think.
Morgan appointed Stale off his own bat - no need for Jeff to be there.
Morgan states he is going to bring in a football director or suchlike.

It could just be that the comfy ease which some have been operating are having their egos dented - by an even bigger one.

As long as Morgan now gets the right people in and starts to put in a competent structure all well and good.The jury is still out for me with him but there are some signs of a winning mentality from the Chairman.

As for the having a go nonsense. No one is having a go just trying to evaluate what is going on. It has to be that way cause us pleb fans don't need to know much just keep buying the tat and the ST.

I am going to watch my step now though. If Morgan is starting to listen and is revolutionising the club I don't want to start off on the wrong foot when he offers fan ownership and I am on the board:eek:

Correct.

It's through the 'speeches and statements' that the 'members build up a picture of the clubs direction and intentions......observing and criticising (positively or negatively) is quite natural and important.

On the forward planning it does indeed look much more promising....someone is definitely listening....we might just get our wishes. ;):)

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's regardless really isn't it? That was back in February when we had a chance of stopping up, when he made that decision to put Connor in change and we got relegated doesn't mean that things are now forgiven just because he made the right appointment at the wrong time does it?

Who could he of appointed then???? Curbishley turned us down, Everyone else that was getting mentioned was getting ripped to pieces on this very forum. He appointed TC because there wasn't really anyone else that wanted the job. We know he appraoched Reading and Brighton and had no joy there so he had to put someone in charge for the rest of the season..

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who could he of appointed then???? Curbishley turned us down, Everyone else that was getting mentioned was getting ripped to pieces on this very forum. He appointed TC because there wasn't really anyone else that wanted the job. We know he appraoched Reading and Brighton and had no joy there so he had to put someone in charge for the rest of the season..

Yes but the problem was Morgan backed himself into a corner over Mick at the wrong time. He ranted in the dressing room and then overrode everyone at the wrong time and sacked Mick at the worst possible time.

It was a hideous few weeks for Morgan and he didn't do himself any favours. He acted on ego instead of the good of the club.Connor's appointment sealed the relegation which was likely with Mick but nowhere near as certain as under Connor.

Morgan now has to show everyone he can hack it as Chairman and owner. The early signs are promising but that is all. The club has been damaged badly by poor decision making.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never said I didn't support him I'm behind him and Moxey 100% I just wish he wouldn't contradict himself like this because for one it makes him look like an absolute tool.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's regardless though isn't it? He shouldn't have stated what he did in the first place regarding the "not a novice" statement, because even though it did end up being difficult in the end he did fall back on something which I feel he had originally promised us as supporters. Not having a go like others have said, just looking into how this could have been dealt with better rather than himself and Moxey potentially frustrating and angering Wolves fans.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Morgan also said a load of stuff about Steve Bruce that turned out to be very questionable. PR is obviously not his strong point.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
MonkeySpanner;1384343[B said:
]I[/B] think the money available will be from the sale of players. I don't see Morgan dipping too deep into his own pockets for Wolves. Most of the money used so far bar his building has been from monies generated from being in the Premiership.

Will Steve Morgan use some of the 12 million quid parachute money to spend on new players, or is all of that earmarked towards paying the players wages.

Apparently, the players are having to take a 50% pay cut next season. If RJ stays, he'll still be on twenty grand a week.:eek:

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he was trying to sell season tickets with the "Treasure Chest" comment.

Re the "No Treasure Chest" suspect it was a simple $$$$ up - it's not every day a Chairman introduces a new manager in the media spotlight.

One thing we don't know is whether there is or isn't a Treasure Chest - as previous poster said - if there is it will likely be funded by sales.

The other comment he made at the beginning of the season still $$$$es me off I'd rather not comment.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17019094

It was Moxey, not Morgan who said its not a job for a novice.

It was. And with the appointment of Stale Solbakken as the new full-time Wolves manager, Jez's comment turned out to be true.

Terry Connor was just a make-shift solution, to tide Wolves over due to circumstances which unravelled out of control.

Steve Morgan has admitted, Solly was on his radar for some time, and as soon as he became available, he pounced and got his man.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he was trying to sell season tickets with the "Treasure Chest" comment.

Re the "No Treasure Chest" suspect it was a simple $$$$ up - it's not every day a Chairman introduces a new manager in the media spotlight.

One thing we don't know is whether there is or isn't a Treasure Chest - as previous poster said - if there is it will likely be funded by sales.

The other comment he made at the beginning of the season still $$$$es me off I'd rather not comment.

Cmon, spill the beans... :p

Back
Top Bottom