Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Who Do You Recognise? Older Fans Only!!

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When I see Danny Hegan, I'm immediately taken back to the UEFA Cup Final 1st leg at Molineux when he tried that audacious shot from the half way line only for Pat Jennings to tip it over the bar.
If only that had gone in....................

Never cared for Spurs since that time. :(

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some decent players in that photo. Just look at Hughie Curran, not the tallest by any means, but as strong as an ox.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some decent players in that photo. Just look at Hughie Curran, not the tallest by any means, but as strong as an ox.
Very underrated player during his career. He always scored goals wherever he was. It was only the emergence of Richards that caused him to leave us.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Curran suffers from 'only here for about three season's syndrome'.

Much is documented about the Dougan/Richards pairing which is both understandable and deserved. In fact that pairing only lasted three seasons. Dougan retired in 1975

Dougan not only was a top class front man with Richards he was in the brief Knowles/Dougan pairing late Sixties and after Knowles went he was in a pretty formidable attack.

In Curran's first full season 1969/70 he finished top scorer on 20 goals. Dougan on 8.In his second and last full season he finished on 16 behind Gould on 17 and Dougan on 12. Then he left as did Gould as Richards was obviously going to be a bit special on goalscoring.

Curran scored 40 goals in 82 appearances all in the top division. He went to Oxford from us then to Bolton and back to Oxford where he retired.

He dis so well for us and I remember him scoring some beauties and I agree he was a tough and brave competitor.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hughie Curran was one of my favourite players at the time, as was Jim McCalliog,Front row 3rd from left.
Now runs a B&B in Scotland and was on that TV program, 3 in a bed? a couple of years ago.
Contacted him via email shortly after he was on. He said that he had fond memories of his days at Wolves, both re the club and supporters.

Reaction score
Can any of you old uns help me out. My 1st game was in 66 at the age of 9. Birmingham city at home. I have been trying to find out the team that day but to no avail. I seem to recollect Ron Flowers playing but not sure. Thanks for any help you can give.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can any of you old uns help me out. My 1st game was in 66 at the age of 9. Birmingham city at home. I have been trying to find out the team that day but to no avail. I seem to recollect Ron Flowers playing but not sure. Thanks for any help you can give.
We played Blues at home near the end of 65-66 & also at the start of 66-67.
12/04/66 :MacLaren; J Wilson, Thomson, Bailey, Hawkins, Flowers, Knowles, Hunt, Woodfield, McIlmoyle, Wagstaffe
20/08/66 :MacLaren, Knighton, Thomson, Bailey, Flowers, Holsgrove, Farrington, Knowles, McIlmoyle, Hunt, Wagstaffe.

Reaction score
We played Blues at home near the end of 65-66 & also at the start of 66-67.
12/04/66 :MacLaren; J Wilson, Thomson, Bailey, Hawkins, Flowers, Knowles, Hunt, Woodfield, McIlmoyle, Wagstaffe
20/08/66 :MacLaren, Knighton, Thomson, Bailey, Flowers, Holsgrove, Farrington, Knowles, McIlmoyle, Hunt, Wagstaffe.
Many thanks for that. It was the August game I went to. A couple of names there that I hardly remember playing for us!

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many thanks for that. It was the August game I went to. A couple of names there that I hardly remember playing for us!
Interesting how effective Woodfield was playing up front at the end of the 65-66 season. 5 goals (to add the 2 he'd scored earlier while playing in defence) in 8 games.

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Interesting walk down memory lane. Regarding Hugh Curran a very underrated player. One of his tricks I recall [to compensate for his lack of height] was when facing a long ball, he always used to jump early against a tall defender, which invariably meant the taller defender leaning over Curran as the ball fell destabilising him. Curran would then control the ball of his chest and turn him. I've never seen another player do that move consistently. Class act.

Another player around the the 68/ 70 era, was John Farrington a winger. He wasn't around long but I always remember him scoring a late injury time equaliser against Chelsea circa 1969.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting walk down memory lane. Regarding Hugh Curran a very underrated player. One of his tricks I recall [to compensate for his lack of height] was when facing a long ball, he always used to jump early against a tall defender, which invariably meant the taller defender leaning over Curran as the ball fell destabilising him. Curran would then control the ball of his chest and turn him. I've never seen another player do that move consistently. Class act.

Another player around the the 68/ 70 era, was John Farrington a winger. He wasn't around long but I always remember him scoring a late injury time equaliser against Chelsea circa 1969.
I agree re Curran. Hardly ever mentioned on here, but scored some lovely goals for us. Another one with a similar profile was Jimmy Mac.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting how effective Woodfield was playing up front at the end of the 65-66 season. 5 goals (to add the 2 he'd scored earlier while playing in defence) in 8 games.
Woodfield as centre-forward! Caused a few sharp intakes of breath at the time! But he was OK, a big-boned, rough, tough battler who bull-dozed his way down the middle and scored a few.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it was 2-1 mate
Jonzy 54, funny how time has an effect on the brain cells. i would put good money on some results from the past to be proven wrong,
Question that's been bugging me without looking it up, McIlmoyle scored a hat trick in a mid week FA cup 2nd replay, in the snow.
was it v the Villa at the hawthorns .
or WBA at Villa Park.

Last edited:

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree re Curran. Hardly ever mentioned on here, but scored some lovely goals for us. Another one with a similar profile was Jimmy Mac.
I always remember getting on the train from Norwich to Liverpool St, and sat in the same carriage as Curran and Alf Ramsey,
both were traveling up to Wolverhampton for the match, how times have changed.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonzy 54, funny how time has an effect on the brain cells. i would put good money on some results from the past to be proven wrong,
Question that's been bugging me without looking it up, McIlmoyle scored a hat trick in a mid week FA cup 2ndreplay, in the snow.
was it v the Villa at the hawthorns .
or WBA at Villa Park.
We played Villa at The Hawthorns after drawing twice at Villa Park and Molineux. He scored the hat rick at The Hawthorns, 1964/5 Culllis had been sacked the previous September. Two weeks later we lost to Man Utd 3-5 and got knocked out,

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We played Villa at The Hawthorns after drawing twice at Villa Park and Molineux. He scored the hat rick at The Hawthorns, 1964/5 Culllis had been sacked the previous September. Two weeks later we lost to Man Utd 3-5 and got knocked out,
thanks mate and much appreciated, although i do remember us beating Man Utd 5-3 two weeks later, ;) see there's always a bright side of getting old,

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This thread is for middle-agers not really old fans like me! I was expecting to recognise Billy Wright, Peter Broadbent, Bert Williams etc not those youngsters shown.
i think there are many on here like your good self Kenny, although my guess for the person in the jeans was Major Buckley, so i guess i am wrong lol

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The players in the OP brings back many memories of surely one of the most defining seasons in the history of the club.

As most know we were in Div 2 by the time of this photo having sacked its greatest ever manager the previous season. Many of those players represented the 'modern' player who were now earning much more than when Cullis took over in '46 and throughout the majority of his time of being the 'guvnor'.

Those who were either around at that time or have read up on the Cullis years, and ultimate dismissal, will know that one of the reasons offered as to why, by 1964, the situation between Cullis and the club was becoming strained was that some in the dressing room couldn't, or wouldn't, accept the Cullis way any more. Players had found their 'voice' so to speak after maximum wage was abolished and the sixties rolled on with much social change. Cullis was always puritanical in his approach to most things. Not a criticism here as that part of his make up played a big part in his devotion to football and Wolves.

John Ireland had took over as Chairman and was always popular with players during his time as Chairman. He had heard, and probably encouraged, players to express grievances and players were restless and there's documented evidence that they were going to him behind the back of Cullis. How many and who will never be known but doubt it would be the likes of Ron Flowers and the older guard who were still there. Wonder who from that photo might have been the ones who couldn't take the Cullis way? If any. Peter Knowles slammed in a transfer request on relegation which was refused but Cullis was gone by then.

Ireland was convinced Cullis had 'lost it' I think can be concluded and Cullis had been given time off for illness at the start of 1964/5 season. He wanted. and asked, Stan to resign but Culllis told him if he wanted him out he's better sack him. That is fact not fiction. So we did and not only sack him but treated him abysmally. How much different it could have been is not certain. Cullis was principled but as he later said 'You only have one life and I gave mine to Wolves'.

What little personal information I have from someone who played for Cullis in the family is that he was hit pretty hard by the sacking. How much was down to the new regime at Molinuex and how much down to Cullis being strong willed and even perhaps not willing to accept football and society was changing. That he might have been perhaps in a state of denial that the ways of the fifties no longer held sway.

He should have been given far more respect I conclude and asked to stay on in some figurehead capacity. Would he, after being the man for so long, accept such a role though? We'll never know,

Last edited:

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I knew John Farrington. He used to be steward at Barlestone St. Giles FC social club. He still loved his football, but said he would never go to a top flight game. He was a very keen follower of non league football, particularly at grassroots level. I have not seen him for a few years, but the last I heard he was alive and well.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The players in the OP brings back many memories of surely one of the most defining seasons in the history of the club.

As most know we were in Div 2 by the time of this photo having sacked its greatest ever manager the previous season. Many of those players represented the 'modern' player who were now earning much more than when Cullis took over in '46 and throughout the majority of his time of being the 'guvnor'.

Those who were either around at that time or have read up on the Cullis years, and ultimate dismissal, will know that one of the reasons offered as to why, by 1964, the situation between Cullis and the club was becoming strained was that some in the dressing room couldn't, or wouldn't, accept the Cullis way any more. Players had found their 'voice' so to speak after maximum wage was abolished and the sixties rolled on with much social change. Cullis was always puritanical in his approach to most things. Not a criticism here as that part of his make up played a big part in his devotion to football and Wolves.

John Ireland had took over as Chairman and was always popular with players during his time as Chairman. He had heard, and probably encouraged, players to express grievances and players were restless and there's documented evidence that they were going to him behind the back of Cullis. How many and who will never be known but doubt it would be the likes of Ron Flowers and the older guard who were still there. Wonder who from that photo might have been the ones who couldn't take the Cullis way? If any. Peter Knowles slammed in a transfer request on relegation which was refused but Cullis was gone by then.

Ireland was convinced Cullis had 'lost it' I think can be concluded and Cullis had been given time off for illness at the start of 1964/5 season. He wanted. and asked, Stan to resign but Culllis told him if he wanted him out he's better sack him. That is fact not fiction. So we did and not only sack him but treated him abysmally. How much different it could have been is not certain. Cullis was principled but as he later said 'You only have one life and I gave mine to Wolves'.

What little personal information I have from someone who played for Cullis in the family is that he was hit pretty hard by the sacking. How much was down to the new regime at Molinuex and how much down to Cullis being strong willed and even perhaps not willing to accept football and society was changing. That he might have been perhaps in a state of denial that the ways of the fifties no longer held sway.

He should have been given far more respect I conclude and asked to stay on in some figurehead capacity. Would he, after being the man for so long, accept such a role though? We'll never know,
Cullis was only 47 years old when he got the sack at Wolves. No great age for a manager, but he had got the Wolves job very young, at around 30. You would have thought, with that wealth of experience and success, he would have gone somewhere else and kicked on with a new club. But he didn't. He was appointed manager of Blues in 1965, but in five years there he achieved nothing much. And that was it. He does seem to have been a man who thrived in a post-war society which was still pretty strait-laced: always a collar and tie, no swearing, no exaggerated goal celebrations allowed, just a handshake, players knew their place, and he was THE BOSS. Great manager, but a product of his times.

Back
Top Bottom