Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What's your most upsetting moment as a Wolves fan?

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bolton, closely followed by clipboard and Saunders saga. Although tbf, I think Michael Kightly getting a serious injury when we were flying with him and Jarvis was up there.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d agreed that I would give my Watford-supporting brother-in-law a lift home from Watford station after the game (we made the short journey up to Wembley together with my Dad and son).

He (understandably) stayed a while to bask in the celebrations so I had to sit, in a state of pure numbness, outside the station for about an hour as thousands of jubilant Watford supporters filed past me.

By far the worst I have ever felt over a game of football. Didn’t sleep at all that night and still felt numb for a good few days after.

Feel very guilty and embarrassed that my son saw me that depressed by a football result…particularly as 8-year old me vividly remembered my Dad being similarly silent on the walk back to the car having lost to Aldershot in the Play-Offs.
I Was returning to a state of near normality on the Monday after, when my phone pinged.

Opened what seemed like about a hundred whatsapp messages to a pic the guess and stir used of my 20 year old son crying and being comforted by a total stranger, shortly after the final whistle.

Having witnessed playoff defeats, semi final defeats, relegations etc that must have been the Worst moment of my wolves life.

Last edited:

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was strangely ok with the fa cup semi, it was harsh for us to lose but the trajectory around the club at the time felt like we'd be back again soon enough, so I wasn't too down at the time.

The worst time for me was slowly watching everything Nuno had built crumble before our eyes into a pale imitation of what once was. No longer would we chant about Nuno, no longer would Nuno be like a deity around the city - those times where success had seemed so solid with such sure foundations had gone, an era came and went and seeing it's sad decline was truly heartbreaking. Nuno had gone from the heartbeat of everything that was good, to a mere memory.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was strangely ok with the fa cup semi, it was harsh for us to lose but the trajectory around the club at the time felt like we'd be back again soon enough, so I wasn't too down at the time.

The worst time for me was slowly watching everything Nuno had built crumble before our eyes into a pale imitation of what once was. No longer would we chant about Nuno, no longer would Nuno be like a deity around the city - those times where success had seemed so solid with such sure foundations had gone, an era came and went and seeing it's sad decline was truly heartbreaking. Nuno had gone from the heartbeat of everything that was good, to a mere memory.
Agreed, but far more for me posters on here who jumped on the Nuno train then first to stick the knife in.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably like fans of most clubs there's been a fair few gut wrenching moments over the years.

Possibly my worst was Brighton away last game of the 2012/13 season, where relegation to League 1 was confirmed, O'hara laughed when getting stick for not pulling his weight (which actually would have been pretty difficult considering his lack of fitness) and to cap it all the Brighton fans actually feeling sorry for us and singing about how our board had *****d it up.
Same here, i looked down at my lad and thought "what i have i put you through", honestly thought he would have to go through what i did in the 80's, thank you Kenny Jackett. To be fair to him he has forgiven me now.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3277-603.jpg

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Watford penalty in the FA Cup semi final, my heart just sank. From then I knew we were going to lose.

Even worse is that the photo the press used of their Extra Time goal has both my father and I clearly in the centre of the image. We are both stood with our heads in ours hands.
Sky Sports zoomed in on me looking completely ****ed off at 1-3 in the 1-5 West Brom defeat.
I'd probably never have known but an Albion fan took a picture of his TV and forwarded it to me.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mine was c.1967 … sitting on steps of the old Wolves club , I went up to Tommy Trinder and asked for his autograph. He pushed me to the floor and said “ out of the way sonny “
I’ll never forget the scuffle that ensued between him , my Dad and a couple of other blokes. Scary stuff at the time and it’s scarred me for the last 56 years !

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was eerie, and easily the weirdest ambience I’ve ever felt around Molineux.

And yet other than the Grimbsy 0-1, we didn't really have any other stand out awful results. Defeats to Man City who romped the league, and Millwall away who reached the playoffs weren't exactly big shocks.

Sure there were some daft draws we gave away points in, but those lot winning 10/12 games or whatever it was left us little room for error.

Shuttlewolf

Reaction score
Bolton. Watford.

And Ronald Zubar back pass against Bolton to lose 1-0 at the death after Doyle had hit the post. So, so, so angry after that.
Oh I’m not going to be able to sleep tonight now you’ve brought that one back to me.

May seem inconsequential compared to “big” games but that one was hard

WR4Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Bolton away in the play offs then Watford SF & nothing else really comes close from a one off game.

That said the most painful & agonising time was the conclusion of the 2002/3 season when we suffered the humiliation of our dear rivals pipping us to promotion. It lasted from Easter to early May & was inevitable. Don’t think I spoke on the way home from Hillsborough despite having 2 months to prepare for it

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1 - Watford FA Cup, that was our time - we’d have beaten City!
2 - Nuno leaving
3 - Missing out on the playoff finals to BWFC. We should have got to the PL in the 90s, and Bully deserved it.
4 - COVID, the impact it had on Wolves was huge. Ultimately lead to Nuno leaving. We missed out on some great Europa moments due to being behind closed doors.
5 - Raul’s injury. Firstly for him, it’s so disappointing what’s happened to his career. But secondly for Wolves, overnight we went from having a £90m valued star striker who was top 5 in the league, to a player who would never be the same again.

These are the things that come off the top of my head instantly. I’m sure there’s others.

bilstonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Never felt worse than after the semi final, even ****ing worse that my Watford supporting mate was about 50 metres away and I'd been giving it the bigun for weeks before... the way they lost in the final didn't even please me as I just knew we'd have won if we got there.

Wolf In Essex

Reaction score
I am in the Watford semi final camp, but it will be interesting if this question is asked at the end of the season if Neves leaves. I wonder how many will change there answer, I know I will. :cry:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man City 1 Burnley 2, May 1960. Heard the result on the BBC TV 9 o'clock news, read by Richard Baker. It meant Burnley beat us to the League Championship Title by one point. That meant we missed out on three Titles in-a-row and also the Double, as we won the FA Cup a few days later. I was 11 years old and it is the only occasion in my life when the result of a football match made me cry!

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think mine are going to be largely the same as many others

Listening to the radio in the 1980's to see if we still had a club (then taking mercyless 'banter' from a Bluenose)

The choke season

Bolton away & the punch

I can remember being particularly ****ed off about losing to Aldershot in the Division 4 playoff. We manage to get tickets for the away leg and lost 2-0 - it probably was a season too early in hindsight but it really ticked me off at the time.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about when the SouthBank sang “don’t sell Neves” at the end of last season? That was pretty upsetting in a toe curling, please don’t let this be happening kind of way.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve never been so devasted by football as when we blew promotion to the Albion. Can’t see that ever being beaten. I was about 14 then and it literally meant everything. My best mate is an Albion fan too.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My most upsetting moment was followed immediately by the most uplifting.
In the summer of 1986 I was sat in a court room at the Royal Courts of Justice ( I worked very nearby) listening to the awful financial situation the Club found itself in and may have been declared bankrupt.
Thankfully, it was announced an agreement had been reached with all the creditors except one which would allow the club to continue.
The judge decided that it was in the best interest to ignore the dissenter and the rest is history.
I felt an amazing relief.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Too many to mention, could add a few examples with no mention of Chorley

Losing to Spurs in 1972 UEFA Cup Final
Losing to Leeds in 1973 semi final
1982 Bankruptcy
1985 Rotherham 6 Wolves 0
Play offs v Crystal Palace 1997, 3 rd goal in first leg just after we scored

Basically supporting Wolves since the early 60's has been a rollercoaster, which is probably unique in the entire football league.
Didn't go to Palace, but watched it from the BW lower on that fabulous giant TV screens set up Jonathan Hayward thought was the way forward! That third goal is the only time I've really felt that physical kicked it the stomach pain.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't go to Palace, but watched it from the BW lower on that fabulous giant TV screens set up Jonathan Hayward thought was the way forward! That third goal is the only time I've really felt that physical kicked it the stomach pain.
I was in Gioia Del Colle as part of Op Deliberate Guard when the two legs were played, I remember coming back in from the flight line to get the score and was devastated when I heard we had lost 3-1. I managed to watch the second leg with the rest of the lads and had the **** ripped out of me mercilessly all game. I physically couldn’t stand it and ended up playing my joker next morning after drinking myself into a coma

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's weird but the Watford Semi final wouldn't be in my top 5. It's a personal thing of course but while yes, of course I recall the awful feeling of walking away knowing they had uneccesarily blown it etc, think the recency of it is elevating it on this thread.

That day at Wembley we were very much back, in and around Europe spots with a fantastic team and the best players if not always football seen for years. Even coming out of there feeling sick I was still positive and proud. We were riding high with local rivals in our wake.

Compare it to against the feelings of walking away from the Crystal Palace PO, watching Muscat be a selfish ***** against Grimsby, the Bolton and West Brom play offs etc. Getting off a plan to desperately find the score to find we blew it in the POs against Norwich...

Those were al times when we were stuck in that second tier with little hope. We were in limbo. I couldn't even watch my team when not in Wolverhampton those days apart from on Teletext. We had at various times an aging team, no investment, a crumbling crowd, a stricken 306-goal idol with knackered knees, a dodgy builder distorting and distending our stadium, a car park to train in and a team with bomb squad leeches in that needed to be dismantled. Now that is upsetting.

I could go on, and often do, but Watford was a walk in the park compared to some of the upset through the 80s and 90s for me.

Back
Top Bottom