Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What's your most upsetting moment as a Wolves fan?

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading the thread on Nuno got me thinking of how I felt when I heard the news and how that compared to other moments I've felt devastated as a Wolves fan. I narrowed it down to my top 5

5. FA Cup semi-final v Watford and Delofeu scores in extra time. You knew we weren't going to come back and our chance of winning the FA cup had gone. I honestly think we could have beaten City in the final
4. Wolves 4 Millwall 2. Last day of the 14/15 season. It wasn't the thought that we'd just missed out on the play-offs, it was seeing Sako doing a lap of honour with tears in his eyes and knowing I would never see him, Dicko and Afobe together again. They really were a magical front 3
3. Wolves 0 Bolton 2. No need to say more. It was the moment I realised I would never see Bully in the Premier League.
2. It's announced on TalkSport that Nuno will be leaving at the end of the season. God I loved that man!
1. 13 July 1999. If you know, you know, and you know why.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wembley v Watford semi final , we've never been so close and Bolton in the play offs....nothing compares to those two......1976 my first game...

The choke season and the Albion play off game didn't hurt as bad because I was used to eternal mediocrity around then.... Wembley took the wind out of me..didn't speak hardly for 2/3 days...so close..and Bolton just killed the new found optimism from the bully years .. ...

Last edited:

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
_65116080_golddeano.jpg

Also, watching Terry Connor's post-match interviews. Really decent guy, clearly didn't want the job, but was doing it to help his club.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Comfortably the worst/most upsetting moment for me. Followed by the worst train journey home.
Was on the train ....didn't go back on it ...the only words I spoke after the game was a quick phone call....can I AVE a lift home....just sat in back of the car totally numb .....couldn't face the train...

Sephiroth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was the Norwich 2nd leg for me. Couldn't believe we didn't score the second goal.

Mick leaving also really upset me at the time. Possibly more than Nuno.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
HAd been thinking about this recently. The three moments that gave me some kind of Wolves-related PSTD that still haunts to this day.

3) That Semi-Final v Watford. Couldn't think of anything else for days and still gives nightmares. A few days later, someone on the radio was talking about it and they said that in 100 years, this was the only time where the team 2 goals ahead on 78 minutes, didn't get to the final.

2) The choke season. Possibly worse than the semi-final, because it happened over weeks in slow-motion. Leaving the ground after an easy win against Gillingham (I think), the announcer reading the scores and saying that we were now 8 points clear of third. Everybody cheering, it felt like we were as good as up. Next match I went to was Grimsby ... and it was totally different. I thought the players didn't look right mentally, and always wondered if some didn't fancy a season being shown up in the Premier, so gave up. And if course, it would have to be *them* who ground out those 1-0s. As I recall, the number of times the report was that they were lucky, snatched a late winner. At least when Newcastle choked for the title, it was to Man Utd, not Sunderland!

1) The collapse from division 1 to division 4 in early 80's. Another first, probably. Whenever I hear talk these days of "record signings", "massive stadium rebuilds" and "club in it's best position for years", it often reminds me that's also how it felt around 1980/81.

It's all so fragile, my view these days is to make the most of the good times, because for all but those Sky 6, the good times will be short before normal service resumes.

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
Like most on here, Bolton hit hard, really hard.

The choke season, cutting short my travels so that I could celebrate us going up, rather than staying out in NZ was really one of the stupidest decisions I have ever made

The FA Cup Semi Final, after going 2 nil up, I thought this was it, all the times we went on Cup runs in the 90s and all the time it seemed an impossible dream, I finally said (out loud too) that Wolves are going to the Cup Final! It hurt more as I was with my lad and it was his introduction to heartache that plagued my early years as a fan.

The 90s were very disappointing as a fan, after 2 fantastic promotion seasons and getting back to the second tier we then developed such big ambitions and we just couldn't live up to them time after time again.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An odd one but losing in the last minute 2-1 to Arsenal at Highbury in the FA Cup third round in 1978. In those days the FA Cup meant something and to go out early was always gutting.
Bob Hazell had marked Malcom Macdonald out of the game for 89 minutes, then got himself sent off. Macdonald scored from the corner.
ps Hibbitt's goal was spectacular.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's all so fragile, my view these days is to make the most of the good times, because for all but those Sky 6, the good times will be short before normal service resumes.
You're not wrong. Been thinking about this recently now we're safe, but look at Leicester. Champions 2016, Champions League the following season and a cup win 2021 and consistently mid table/top half, all things we are hoping to achieve (minus PL champions). Now look at them :oops:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading the thread on Nuno got me thinking of how I felt when I heard the news and how that compared to other moments I've felt devastated as a Wolves fan. I narrowed it down to my top 5

5. FA Cup semi-final v Watford and Delofeu scores in extra time. You knew we weren't going to come back and our chance of winning the FA cup had gone. I honestly think we could have beaten City in the final
4. Wolves 4 Millwall 2. Last day of the 14/15 season. It wasn't the thought that we'd just missed out on the play-offs, it was seeing Sako doing a lap of honour with tears in his eyes and knowing I would never see him, Dicko and Afobe together again. They really were a magical front 3
3. Wolves 0 Bolton 2. No need to say more. It was the moment I realised I would never see Bully in the Premier League.
2. It's announced on TalkSport that Nuno will be leaving at the end of the season. God I loved that man!
1. 13 July 1999. If you know, you know, and you know why.
Took me 10 seconds to twig number one. Utter end of an era....

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this time, i thought it was Nuno leaving - my wife broke the news weirdly. She used the same tone and tactic my mum did when she told me my border collie had died.

Thinking back though, July '99 for me. I was 20 years old and it was my only ever real hero to retire. I never cried, I was beyond upset. It numbed me, I didn't really care about anything for a while.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
August and September 2003 when we had waited so long to get promoted, were getting thrashed every week, and realising that it wasn't all we dreamt it to be. Sad that we had wasted so much money on dross players in the previous ten years and now we weren't going to have money to spend, except on Oleg Luhzny et al.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Losing at home to Liverpool in 1976
Losing semifinal to Arsenal in late 70s
Bolton playoffs
SJH not investing when we finally made the Promised Land
Dean ****ing Saunders
Sacking Nuno
Bruno ****ing Lage - it soon became apparent he was clueless, Sa’s incredible first half of the season papered over huge cracks. He nearly undid 5 years work.

Onwards and upwards. Strangely the Watford semifinal was disappointing but given where we were in the league and how quickly we’d got there I was ok with it, perhaps the prospect of playing City in the final helped too!

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
_65116080_golddeano.jpg

Also, watching Terry Connor's post-match interviews. Really decent guy, clearly didn't want the job, but was doing it to help his club.
The double relegation is mine

Wombourne Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bolton - it was a real sliding doors moment at the time, seeing what Bolton (also Middlesboro & Blackburn) went on to achieve in a similar time span knowing that we would have done much better with a fully invested SJH - the image of Bully slumped on the floor at FT was how we all felt.
Nuno leaving.
Bully retiring.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno leaving was bad. Norwich beating us in the play offs despite a wonder goal from Cooper sticks in my memory.

Watching West Brom get promoted on the big screen at Mol also rankles

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Comfortably the worst/most upsetting moment for me. Followed by the worst train journey home.

I’d agreed that I would give my Watford-supporting brother-in-law a lift home from Watford station after the game (we made the short journey up to Wembley together with my Dad and son).

He (understandably) stayed a while to bask in the celebrations so I had to sit, in a state of pure numbness, outside the station for about an hour as thousands of jubilant Watford supporters filed past me.

By far the worst I have ever felt over a game of football. Didn’t sleep at all that night and still felt numb for a good few days after.

Feel very guilty and embarrassed that my son saw me that depressed by a football result…particularly as 8-year old me vividly remembered my Dad being similarly silent on the walk back to the car having lost to Aldershot in the Play-Offs.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The Watford penalty in the FA Cup semi final, my heart just sank. From then I knew we were going to lose.

Even worse is that the photo the press used of their Extra Time goal has both my father and I clearly in the centre of the image. We are both stood with our heads in ours hands.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bolton. Watford.

And Ronald Zubar back pass against Bolton to lose 1-0 at the death after Doyle had hit the post. So, so, so angry after that.

Back
Top Bottom