Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 244 66.1%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 31 8.4%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 51 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.3%

• Total voters

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have another suggestion under 'Other'

Erect a statue to him at Compton and write a dedication on the plinth to Jeff Shi: 'To Jeff Shi, the only person who thought he was any good'

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not seen this mentioned but scored the other day vs Faroe Isles U21. Clearly not the best opposition but his movement here is fantastic, involved in pretty much all of their attacks from the 25th minute onwards until he was subbed. They play again tomorrow.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score

Not seen this mentioned but scored the other day vs Faroe Isles U21. Clearly not the best opposition but his movement here is fantastic, involved in pretty much all of their attacks from the 25th minute onwards until he was subbed. They play again tomorrow.
Thought that was the new England flag for a brief moment, then I chastised myself and decided it wasn't playful enough!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree. Looks like a different player in that video. His movement was excellent and he was running into positions where his teammates could find him. Assuming GON does not want him his performances in Scotland and for his home country will hopefully raise his profile and his value?

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. Looks like a different player in that video. His movement was excellent and he was running into positions where his teammates could find him. Assuming GON does not want him his performances in Scotland and for his home country will hopefully raise his profile and his value?

Clearly that's what we'll hope for if we don't fancy him. If he can play like that for Rangers until the rest of the season then definitely worth another look - agree that he does look like a totally different player.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clearly that's what we'll hope for if we don't fancy him. If he can play like that for Rangers until the rest of the season then definitely worth another look - agree that he does look like a totally different player.
Had another look and thought it was Phil Foden with a wig on !

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we hadn’t paid the fee we had for him, he wouldn’t be so heavily criticised. The fact is, if we had paid £5-10 million, then we’d have forgot and moved on - case in point someone like Ki-Jana Hoever or Bruno Jordao.

Silva, and not necessarily the player but rather what his transfer represented, is what gets criticised, and we’re still paying the consequences of the transfer now with FFP.

Other examples - Guedes who never wanted to be here and should have been a glaring red flag - £28m. Kaladzjic we paid £15m for despite knowing his injury-prone record. Cutrone who never wanted to leave Milan and never settled - £15m. Ki-Jana Hoever, £10m, never wanted to leave Liverpool, meaning we effectively sold Jota for £30m. Bruno Jordao, who everyone forgets we signed for £8m because he came with Neto.

We’ve had some seriously bad duds in recent years, that have often been glossed over. Silva’s stands out as the most glaring of them all, but if you add up Guedes, Sasa, Cutrone, Hoever, Jordao - you’re talking upwards of £80m, and they don’t get anywhere near the level of criticism or attention Fabio gets.

Hopefully with Hobbs at the helm, we’re past the days of signing players with obvious red flags.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we hadn’t paid the fee we had for him, he wouldn’t be so heavily criticised. The fact is, if we had paid £5-10 million, then we’d have forgot and moved on - case in point someone like Ki-Jana Hoever or Bruno Jordao.

Silva, and not necessarily the player but rather what his transfer represented, is what gets criticised, and we’re still paying the consequences of the transfer now with FFP.

Other examples - Guedes who never wanted to be here and should have been a glaring red flag - £28m. Kaladzjic we paid £15m for despite knowing his injury-prone record. Cutrone who never wanted to leave Milan and never settled - £15m. Ki-Jana Hoever, £10m, never wanted to leave Liverpool, meaning we effectively sold Jota for £30m. Bruno Jordao, who everyone forgets we signed for £8m because he came with Neto.

We’ve had some seriously bad duds in recent years, that have often been glossed over. Silva’s stands out as the most glaring of them all, but if you add up Guedes, Sasa, Cutrone, Hoever, Jordao - you’re talking upwards of £80m, and they don’t get anywhere near the level of criticism or attention Fabio gets.

Hopefully with Hobbs at the helm, we’re past the days of signing players with obvious red flags.
Good post. I'd also add Podence to the list, although we have had a few goals out of him in between the rolling around. I'm hoping we can sell all this lot for as much as possible this summer so we can keep our crown jewels.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If there wasn't the negative history from some he looks exactly the sort of player we should be trying to sign!

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I wouldnt class them all as duds nor obvious red flag mistakes
Most came with glowing references,and for whatever reason havent worked out here
As you say Fabio has been the worse case because of his fee and his seemingly wasted promise
Jordao has been badly effected with injury,i thought he was the best suited to our league out of all of them when he first came
Cutrone had something about him and at least tried but his heart was never here
Guedes the same with even less desire to stay here
Sasa we should never have bought ,and Hoever has just been a big let down for the club and himself
Sometimes players just dont work out and we have had our fair share,but for the £10-£15mil bracket its a chance you have to take at times

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most came with glowing references,and for whatever reason havent worked out here
As you say Fabio has been the worse case because of his fee and his seemingly wasted promise
Jordao has been badly effected with injury,i thought he was the best suited to our league out of all of them when he first came
Sasa we should never have bought ,and Hoever has just been a big let down for the club and himself
Sometimes players just dont work out and we have had our fair share,but for the £10-£15mil bracket its a chance you have to take at times
Yes to this.
Also, nobody made Cutrone, Hoever and Guedes sign on the dotted line. They were adults and if they didn’t want to come, then they should have said so. Can’t blame Wolves for that.

As for Silva’s fee……probably the only people who constantly talk about it are the fans. I doubt anybody in Silva’s work or social circle talk about it.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Faroe Islands. At last. He has found his level.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Faroe Islands. At last. He has found his level.
I accept that and I'm one of his biggest critics on here. But when you look at that video, short as it is, you can see a player there. His movement was superb, moving into space, running on to balls, his goal was pretty good too. If he can do that, admittedly against crap opposition, surely he can up his game to do it v better teams? As Wicked Wolfie says above he looked like the kind of striker we should be trying to sign! I'm not averse to getting him back if GON really feels he could get the best out of him. I mean look how GON has vastly improved most of our players this season.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good post. I'd also add Podence to the list, although we have had a few goals out of him in between the rolling around. I'm hoping we can sell all this lot for as much as possible this summer so we can keep our crown jewels.
Podence is nowhere near that list in most respects bar wanting to move him on for money imo. I don't like the way he conducts himself in a lot of respects, but he has had some good games and scored some important goals

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Seriously, I'm not one for bashing the young players, but using a game against Faroe Isles u21 to comment on his fantastic movement and involvement is a stretch. Without doing any research I would imagine everyone of our youth players aged 18 or over would get minutes for Faroe u21

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guedes reportedly refused to sign for us on several occasions - clearest red flag possible. Cutrone clearly loved Milan and his heart wasn't set on Wolves. Sasa was the clearest red flag possible with the number of injuries. Hoever - I just think buying from "bigger" clubs is a bit of a poisoned chalice. Players that view us as a clear downgrade don't often work out, and it's not always for lack of talent.

You are right that taking that kind of risk in the £10-15m bracket is far more swallowable than the £30-35m bracket in the cases of Guedes and Silva, but I still think we've made some seriously bad decisions in previous years that could have been avoided without hindsight telling us so.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seriously, I'm not one for bashing the young players, but using a game against Faroe Isles u21 to comment on his fantastic movement and involvement is a stretch. Without doing any research I would imagine everyone of our youth players aged 18 or over would get minutes for Faroe u21
I'm trying to put some kind of positive spin on an 8 minute video but perhaps he's getting confidence (back) at Rangers and obviously enjoyed playing v some pretty average opposition on home territory . He genuinely did look good in the vid and was making runs that I've not seen him do before. Could GON get something out of him or has he blown it at Wolves?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But its WWFC that wont let go. He should have been written off years ago. But his cost means WWFC wont take that action and cut him adrift. IMO.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Faroe Islands have a total male population of about 26k. 5k are under 15. 7k are over 64. That leaves 13k males aged 16 to 63. I would think there are about 500-1k males in the 19-21k range. Basically, if you can walk you could play international football there.

As such, that video counts for less than zilch.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Faroe Islands have a total male population of about 26k. 5k are under 15. 7k are over 64. That leaves 13k males aged 16 to 63. I would think there are about 500-1k males in the 19-21k range. Basically, if you can walk you could play international football there.

As such, that video counts for less than zilch.
I agree. However, Ireland only have a population of 5m and yet they manage to find 7 excellent South african rugby players.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I just think there’s been a big tendency to clutch at straws with Fabio for a fair while now and this summer it really is time to move him on permanently.
A goal and good performance against Faroe Island u21s shouldn’t gloss over the loan spell so far at Rangers. He’s been on loan at Rangers for nearly three months now, who are one of two teams head and shoulders above the rest of a league that is significantly below the standard of the English Premier league. If Fabio was anywhere near the level required for us, he should be one of the first names on Rangers team sheet, with his performances making Rangers desperate to make the loan move permanent in the summer. The reality is he’s not been good enough to be a regular starter for Rangers,

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think there’s been a big tendency to clutch at straws with Fabio for a fair while now and this summer it really is time to move him on permanently.
I will be massively disappointed if we sold him at any point before he is 23.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will be massively disappointed if we sold him at any point before he is 23.
If there is some way we can keep hold of him for as long as possible with little cost, and loan him out that would suit me.
But until he is good enough I don't want t anywhere near the first team.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've backed Fabio up to the hilt on here when others have been having a go....I still think there will be a decent player in him but not necessarily in the premier league...

But surely the time has come to part ways for both concerned.....we can't go any longer being short on forward options and praying Fabio will come good....it's not doing us any good and it's definitely not doing him any good...I actually thought last summer was the right time but I'm glad we gave it another go as such..

We should be letting him go for a reasonable fee with key additions instead attached particularly a sell on fee on the profit....the lad will most probably do well in a less physical league and we may think we made a mistake.....but it can't carry on for both parties....

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm trying to put some kind of positive spin on an 8 minute video but perhaps he's getting confidence (back) at Rangers and obviously enjoyed playing v some pretty average opposition on home territory . He genuinely did look good in the vid and was making runs that I've not seen him do before. Could GON get something out of him or has he blown it at Wolves?
if he mentally handle playing for Rangers, he’s going to be able to handle Wolves mentally.

I think he’s worth a go, but GON seems to think otherwise

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If there is some way we can keep hold of him for as long as possible with little cost, and loan him out that would suit me.
I know Rangers want him next year.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
if he mentally handle playing for Rangers, he’s going to be able to handle Wolves mentally.

I think he’s worth a go, but GON seems to think otherwise
He might have the mentality but he just doesn't have the physicality or technical ability for the very top level.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know Rangers want him next year.

Yes, but they still don't think he's worth anywhere near what we paid for him. Their fans are saying there are several other players of his standard who would cost far less - more like £10m. Would we take that loss? The fee does mean something in that respect and was the big problem all along. The fee means nothing when it comes to picking the team, of course, and we can't play him until he's good enough for his place. His agents did us no favours with the fee they charged, we owe them no favours in return.

On recent performances, he has always had this pattern of occasional excellent performance against weak opposition, but not repeating it enough. Especially against stronger opposition in whatever league he plays in. We've been here before several times. I'll start believing he's good enough for the Premier league when he's scoring in the big matches, winner against Celtic for example.

Perhaps another season on loan at Rangers? Still young and time to develop.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Suit yourself. I wanted him to play against Coventry.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio looked good to me yet again, as in Belgium. GON gave him a chance after saying he'd been training very well and working hard but his next game wasn't good, then he dropped him. He needs a run of games in the pre-season for GON to assess him properly. He's still not old enough to transfer. He will grow into a Sheringham without aerial ability

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also had assists for 2 of the other 3 goals
Have seen no vids of this yet but 2 goals and 2 assists sounds good. I really don't know if GON will give him a chance pre-season but I suppose unless a bid came in for him £15 mil + I don't think the club would sell at less than that price? Sell, loan, stay -it's a 3 way bet.

Back
Top Bottom