Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

West Brom vs Wolves. The verdict.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pleased with the performance, disappointed that we didn't win. A huge step up from the atrocious performance against Burnley. Was worried we might have a replay of the game at Molineux where we were comfortably the better side, looked good going forward but threw away a lead. Thankfully that wasn't the case. Very pleased with the performance of our younger players.

Ratings;

Patricio - Solid enough performance. Made a few saves that he should have made and had no chance with the equaliser. 7
Semedo
- I'm sorry, but he was partly at fault for their goal. His positioning was poor and while he wasn't helped by Dendonker and Otasowie, he needs to close that space down better. Other than that, played ok and did well for our goal. 6
Coady
- One of his best performances playing in a back 4. Read the game very well and his distribution was often vital in getting us on the front foot. 7.5
Saiss
- This game summed up Saiss as a Centre back in my opinion. His general performance was fine but he's always likely to switch off, which he did for the goal and it cost us. We have to upgrade on him next season to progress. Would like to see Kilman get his place for the last few games. 5
Ait-Nouri
- Another very good performance from the youngster. Thought he was the best of a horrendously bad bunch against Burnley and he went up a level here. Looked really threatening going forward, particularly in the first. Still room for improvement defensively but he's getting better. A must sign in the summer. 8
Dendonker -
I hate to be one of those fans who picks scapegoats (which i'm not doing), but he just isn't good enough. Can rarely fault his effort but he just doesn't add enough. When i saw Podence coming on, i hoped Donk would come off with Otasowie switching to centre mid. But not to be. He does need to be moved on in the summer and i would hope we'd get a decent fee. 5
Neves -
A bit of a mixed bag. In general, i thought he played well. Along with Vitinha, they controlled the midfield. Disappointing in the final third, with a few poor passes/crosses/shots. Not sure what has happened to his shooting in particular, but it has significantly regressed this season. But a decent performance overall. 7
Vitinha
- MOTM by some distance. Showed everybody why the club recruited him. And while one swallow doesn't make a summer, this performance should go a long way to ensuring he's here next season.... and a regular starter too. Looked in complete control and brought the creativity that we've so desperately lacked this season.Will be livid if he doesn't start all remaining games. 9
Otasowie
- Really improved as the game went on. Started very nervously and gave the ball away a number of times. Probably not helped by being played in a position he isn't too familiar with. But he improved significantly and his contribution for the goal was essential. Love how he just drives forward with the ball. Once again, would love to see him start the last few games in central midfield, there's clearly plenty of talent to work with and could save us tens of millions in the transfer market. 7
Traore
- What a dilemma he is. Another very frustrating performance where he detracted from our performance more than he added to it. The Traore of last season is a real asset but has rarely looked anything like that this season. I would imagine Nuno is running out of patience. 5
Silva
- The kid continues to improve. Taking the goal aside (he got in the right position, but knew little about the finish), his all round performance was a big step up from previous starts and his confidence is clearly growing. Continues to take up smart positions and now looks a threat. Those vocal minority who wrote him off seem to be a bit less vocal now. 7.5

Subs

Podence -
Continues to look massively off the pace since returning from injury. Not sure he found a gold shirt once after coming on. 4
Gibbs-white -
A really bright cameo from MGW. Brought some energy and his challenge set up a good situation which Neves wasted. With Vitinha playing so well in Morgan's best position, it's very likely he'll need to go loan again next season. 7
Kilman
- Solid (albeit brief outing). Deserves more starts as he's barely put a foot wrong when he does play. 7

A few comments on Nuno - I've been really wanting him to play some of these kids during this run of very winnable games and was frustrated that he hasnt. Was a bit surprised that he chose to do so in such a high stakes game (for the fans). But glad that he did and hope he sticks with it over the remaining games. The style of football was much more like what i think he wants from us (especially in such horrendous weather conditions) and i really hope we can finish strong to carry some momentum into next season.
Bit unfair on Podence. He flitted about, and played a beautiful weighted pass putting Vithana through on goal.

D

Deleted member 11332

Allardyce talking absolute rubbish with his post match comments, talk about only seeing what you want to see, 20 shots to 10, Johnstone made 5/6 saves compared to Rui, and he cant believe they didnt win

Tbf although we were much the better side, they had 3 guilt edged chances where they should have scored. We probably had 1 (semedo).

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's always a sign of a small club mentality when people cling to things like results between the teams, rather than say finishing 7 places higher in the league.

Leeds took 4 points off Man City this season - I'd still rather have had Man City's year than Leeds'.

I think WBA are having a banner and a bus tour for “highest scoring team in April”

sky mentioned it about 50 times

that’s what everyone will remember - not that they were hopelessly relegated

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Allardyce talking absolute rubbish with his post match comments, talk about only seeing what you want to see, 20 shots to 10, Johnstone made 5/6 saves compared to Rui, and he cant believe they didnt win
And the timing of the chances is crucial.

He's right when he says they could've scored 2/3, because Townsend maybe should've scored and Gallagher certainly should've scored.

But, they were all before the goal. They had one chance all night to take the lead, the Diagne header, and that came from a set-play I think. We obviously had several ourselves and in reality, we dominated large parts.

Their performance was actually pretty embarrassing in terms of intent. They had nothing to lose really and didn't even had a go. But, because it's us their fans are trying to save face, they should be asking serious questions of the manager IMO!

As I said on a previous post, they were favourites for this game and rightly so considering the injuries we had, but they showed no intent, which started by Allardyce's negative team selection to start with, which he was forced to change after half an hour, proving how superior our kids were.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as I agree that allardyce is talking rubbish, our keeper had to make better saves than their keeper did. It was all a bit straight at him. Something for us to work on.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as I agree that allardyce is talking rubbish, our keeper had to make better saves than their keeper did. It was all a bit straight at him. Something for us to work on.
I’d say one good save each, Fabio from outside the box, Gallagher shot. All the rest were saved a good keeper should make

D

Deleted member 11332

I’d say one good save each, Fabio from outside the box, Gallagher shot. All the rest were saved a good keeper should make

Probably but that's down to execution. Semedo should score for us for example but it was straight at the keeper.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re Traore, agree with those criticising him.

He got in some excellent runs and then wasted all his good work. Either not passing to another player in a much better position than himself, or being selfish and shooting from very unfavourable angles, which lead to nothing.

Should take a leaf out of Vitinha's book and become a team player.

Also fed up of seeing him sitting with arms ackimbo and a disgruntled look, following a tackle. Utilise your energy more creatively please Adama.

PS: Kilman HAS to start next time out, he's such a talent and needs to be utilised, for maximum effect.

PPS: What has happened to Podence?
Mistimed passes, loosing the ball when in posession , running up blind alleys.
Was very impressed with him when he initially came into the team, but now an absolute nightmare.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11332

Me and my son said he should’ve just passed it Ito the corner, keeper would have got nowhere near it, poor execution I agree

Dad?

Same was said in our front room. I don't know why players always try to take the net off, especially when it's their weak foot.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think WBA are having a banner and a bus tour for “highest scoring team in April”

sky mentioned it about 50 times

that’s what everyone will remember - not that they were hopelessly relegated
They have always been small time. They like to think that in recent times they have dominated us but in reality their record has been every bit as pitiful as ours, just without the dramatic collapse of the mid 80's. In fact, in the last 40 years they have no finishes higher than 8th in the top flight and 0 major trophies. The difference is that we have had ambition, both as a club and as fans. O.K it hasn't always come off and we have ended up looking foolish and delusional at times, but I would much rather have ambition and fail than just accept permanent mediocrity.

Last edited:

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really liked the performance of our second team. Suggest to Nuno give our young players a chance to perform in the last 4 matches, including the last fixture against the united.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the referees possible justification could be for not allowing MGW to take that quick free kick?

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have always been small time. They like to think that in recent times they have dominated us but in reality their record has been every bit as pitiful as ours, just without the dramatic collapse of the mid 80's. In fact, in the last 40 years they have no finishes higher than 8th in the top flight and 0 major trophies. The difference is that we have had ambition, both as a club and as fans. O.K it hasn't always come off and we have ended up looking foolish and delusional at times, but I would much rather have ambition and fail than just accept permanent mediocrity.
Albion as a club and their fans have always been a bit like that, happy to accept their place and no real ambition to improve. We as a club and fans may occasionally appear foolish but we still have desire despite long years of pretty **** football. Look at how following last night their reaction is "well we're going down but you can't didn't beat us"! This place would be in uproar over a comment like that.
But their fans accept that they're not good enough so easily. Bit like that **** who said not qualifying for Europe was a cunning business decision. No doubt when or if the guy ever realises how stupid that sounds he will claim it was a joke.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a word on Don's Co comms "biased"... listen when WBA have their 2nd decent chance with Gallagher ghosting unmarked (54 mins).... ball comes to him unmarked and I am sure Don says "oh no...." (thinking he was going to score).

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely they will lose Johnstone in the summer.

They could be in tatters come the summer, reans. They stand to lose Maitland Niles, Diagne, Gallagher, Yokuslu all who are on loan. Ivanovic is leaving, Johnstone rumoured to be going. Karlan Grant is apparently a carthorse and hardly gets a kick now along with the lad they signed from West Ham who has gone right off the boil.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
They could be in tatters come the summer, reans. They stand to lose Maitland Niles, Diagne, Gallagher, Yokuslu all who are on loan. Ivanovic is leaving, Johnstone rumoured to be going. Karlan Grant is apparently a carthorse and hardly gets a kick now along with the lad they signed from West Ham who has gone right off the boil.
What a shame

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
However with the right manager that could be a good position to build from?
Surely better than having loads of high paid players on long contracts you can’t shift on.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely better than having loads of high paid players on long contracts you can’t shift on.

I suppose it will depend on what they can get to replace the players that are going and what funds they have. Hope they sign a load of old **** to be honest.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a word on Don's Co comms "biased"... listen when WBA have their 2nd decent chance with Gallagher ghosting unmarked (54 mins).... ball comes to him unmarked and I am sure Don says "oh no...." (thinking he was going to score).
Don probably just over compensates to hide his perceived bias.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Goodman is definitely pro Wolves, we are now his team. I think he overcompensates when he covers us sometimes. It's no secret, he often travels to see us play away with Wolves supporting friends (including Bully). Unpopular view, but I really like him as a co-commentator.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was a business decision!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends on whether you have any budget to actually build. Their owner doesn't seem interested in anything but getting money out

Back
Top Bottom