Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

WELCOME, João Gomes!!!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't know Julen's son was part of his staff did I miss anything?
First team analyst I think. When Julen's backroom staff was announced this was added, "Spent three years at UCFB Wembley studying football business and finance, before working on opposition analysis at MK Dons and player analysis for a leading football agency."

I assume he met Edu Rubio at MK Dons and reccomended him to his father. Speaks perfect English as well apparently, I remember Julen said he'd be relying on his son to improve his English!

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Here's his BTS:

He seems well up for it after being in the country less than 24 hours. Lopetegui asked him how many days training he's missed (three) and if he's feeling tired. His answer was, "No, I'm ready to play." JL's questions might also indicate that he has plans to include him in the squad for Liverpool, probably on the bench.

If you think about some of the crappy ageing mercenaries looking for a nice pay packet we signed after previous promotions (hello Oleg Luzhny), this kid is the polar opposite.

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL has had 2 weeks with the squad to prepare for Liverpool no way he will start him after being here 2 days.

He will get minutes from the bench.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think he will make the match day squad for a few weeks.....hasn't played for 2 months....that's why lopetugui kept Hodge I reckon...

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think he will make the match day squad for a few weeks.....hasn't played for 2 months....that's why lopetugui kept Hodge I reckon...
Dunno, he has still been training and nine players on the bench so wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him on it, don't see him getting more than a few minutes here and there for this month though

But he'll come on for the last five minutes against Bournemouth with us 2-0 up, make three tackles, get booked for two of them, and we'll hang on for a 2-1!

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Welcome Joao
Nice to hear how involved Cunha had been with him coming here,both seem very nice people
Good to see his sense of humour with the freejoaogomes stuff too
It will take time for him to get up to speed and settle in but this is a long term signing more than a sticking plaster
I wish him all the luck in the world and hope he proves to be the best signing of the lot eventually

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First team analyst I think. When Julen's backroom staff was announced this was added, "Spent three years at UCFB Wembley studying football business and finance, before working on opposition analysis at MK Dons and player analysis for a leading football agency."

I assume he met Edu Rubio at MK Dons and reccomended him to his father. Speaks perfect English as well apparently, I remember Julen said he'd be relying on his son to improve his English!
He speaks great English, Spanish and Portuguese i believe. Big help for JL and his team.

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

i think i read Julen met Edu Rubio at a football coaching course and said he knows he's stuff

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All those snarky comments about Hobbs look a bit clueless now
It's funny, at the time I didn't think they were genuinely critical because nobody really knew who Hobbs was and what he was there for, other than rumours of Fernandez and then later Osorio and Perrone.

It seemed more flippant and amusing than a stick to beat the club with, and nobody seemed to hold it against Hobbs when he was appointed Sellars' replacement.

Until the Gomes deal looked like it might not work out and pretty much everybody on here had decided that Hobbs empty-handed trip to South America was a catastrophic failure and that we were destined to never do business in that continent because Brighton and West Ham are far more adept and savvy than us.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be nice to hear from Hobbs himself what actually happened with Fernandez as there seems to be at least 3 different stories circulating around over what happened. Any journalists reading this please take note!

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely if he's on the bench today we have to get a chant of "Free Joao Gomes" going

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely if he's on the bench today we have to get a chant of "Free Joao Gomes" going
Might be wrong but the two midfield options on the bench today I suspect will be moutinho n Hodge......João gomes is still in his pre season.....hasn't played since October....

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be nice to hear from Hobbs himself what actually happened with Fernandez as there seems to be at least 3 different stories circulating around over what happened. Any journalists reading this please take note!
I have never seen the controversy around Fernandez. We never really had a chance. Just a long shot hyped up by the press. He was always going to choose Benfica over us and the results of him doing so have more than confirmed that was the correct choice, for player, agent and club's involved.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It sounds like the Fernandez situation was the reverse of Gomes. Fernandez kept his promise just as Gomes did. So give the club a break on missing out there.
I have never seen the controversy around Fernandez. We never really had a chance. Just a long shot hyped up by the press. He was always going to choose Benfica over us and the results of him doing so have more than confirmed that was the correct choice, for player, agent and club's involved.

Interesting to see Johnny Phillips saying different to Madeley & the Athletic, in his article this morning...

image.png

Understand it's all done with now, but something has clearly changed behind the scenes at the club to go from not being willing to spend early on in the summer, to ending the window spending £100m, and a sizeable amount again in January!

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting to see Johnny Phillips saying different to Madeley & the Athletic, in his article this morning...

image.png

Understand it's all done with now, but something has clearly changed behind the scenes at the club to go from not being willing to spend early on in the summer, to ending the window spending £100m, and a sizeable amount again in January!

Exactly. Different journalists have been briefed differently (dare I say it, depending on how bad the actual truth made the person doing the briefing look).

You don't go to the expense of sending Hobbs all the way out to South America (something I don't think we've done before?) unless you have been told by agents that there's a deal to be done. Hobbs also getting promoted and Sellars getting sacked not long after us not landing him and his value skyrocketing seems like more than just a coincidence possibly? Did Hobbs want the signing but got overruled? Did Shi just not want to spend that much on a relative unknown? was the fact we had to wait potentially till Jan a factor? did he just not want to join Wolves? who knows, which is why it would be nice to just get the facts out and done. I highly doubt that would happen by the way, just would be nice is all.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don't go to the expense of sending Hobbs all the way out to South America (something I don't think we've done before?) unless you have been told by agents that there's a deal to be done.

Expense? It's almost zero cost to a PL club!

Scouts travel around the world all the time to watch players. Just because 1 journalist wrote about it this time, everyone's latched onto it.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He must be some player if he is going to push Neves or Lemina out of that midfield.

I know he is intended to replace Neves next season, so this year is about bedding in to the English environment.

He must have loved it today, I bet the dressing room was bouncing.

R

reanswolf

I reckon the buzz in the dressing room and the atmosphere will be superb now.

T

TheConcourse

I reckon the buzz in the dressing room and the atmosphere will be superb now.
Yeah. Other teams should be worried about Wolves. We haven’t been on any kind of run yet, but you get the feeling one is around the corner.

We’ve got way too much quality to win one and lose 5 until the end of the season.

The upturn since JL has arrived has been mad. They’ll be buzzing for the Southampton game.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He must be some player if he is going to push Neves or Lemina out of that midfield.

I know he is intended to replace Neves next season, so this year is about bedding in to the English environment.

Slightly OT but wouldn't it be great if JL could persuade Neves to stay? If we could get say top half this season (9 pts away presently) and with more quality recruitment in the summer we can dream that Neves may see some future at Wolves? He's a great mentor for Gomes. Why would he want to go to Liverpool?!!!!

17miles

Reaction score
My attempt at a tune for Joao.....
To When Johnny Comes marching home.
Ends with .....

Joao Gomes is Wanderers 35

Nice and simple

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly OT but wouldn't it be great if JL could persuade Neves to stay? If we could get say top half this season (9 pts away presently) and with more quality recruitment in the summer we can dream that Neves may see some future at Wolves? He's a great mentor for Gomes. Why would he want to go to Liverpool?!!!!
We should try of course but we should be planning for his replacement.
If he does want to leave a 1 year extension with a modest 35 million buy out clause would be a nice gesture. Tim Spiers intimated last year that it would happen but hasn't so far.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should try of course but we should be planning for his replacement.
If he does want to leave a 1 year extension with a modest 35 million buy out clause would be a nice gesture. Tim Spiers intimated last year that it would happen but hasn't so far.
Think that's the kind of thing Neves would to to ensure we got a decent fee, sign a deal but with a modest release fee (and probably to a CL club). We'll never get the money he's really worth, but he's repaid us many times over

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
I presume someone is already working on a massive 'Free Joao Gomes' banner for the South Bank to mark his first game?

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

IF I can ask how do you know Neves is leaving ?

Back
Top Bottom