Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

WELCOME, João Gomes!!!

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Perhaps improving the offer slightly might get this over the line just to give them a little nudge. I hope we've got word to Joao that we're not goner give up on him

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps improving the offer slightly might get this over the line just to give them a little nudge. I hope we've got word to Joao that we're not goner give up on him
I know we will all be disappointed to see an important member of the team going . Yes tears may flow. We can put a statue up or rename the youth team minibus . Well that might be fitting as he loves generational talents .

Can't we do the deal plus a swap for Jeff Shi .

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean.. the player has as much as control as the club, in reality.

They can refuse the transfer. End of story. Which is what he did.

Flamengo can now keep him, sell him to Wolves, or find him another spot he wants to go.

It's equal on both sides. Just like we could tell Neves to bugger off in the summer and keep him one more year if we really wanted (and lose our income though).
What he can't do,though, is hand in a letter of resignation, work out his notice period & start work at Wolves next month.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean tomorrow is Friday normally a busy day behind the scenes. I’m hopeful we may get an answer

Reactions: Ned

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What he can't do,though, is hand in a letter of resignation, work out his notice period & start work at Wolves next month.
That would completely break professional sports as a whole.

Imagine players could do that - players would be leaving teams all the time, there would be no points in contracts anymore. And imagine clubs could start cutting ties with a player while only giving a small severance instead of a contract buyout, which tends to be a lot more money.

Contracts are there for a reason. To protect the club and the player.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If nothing is moving today/tomorrow then you’d think this one is dead.
I'd give it a few more days. Flamengo will probably try some sort of tactic (silent treatment, wait out tactic, etc) to try to get him to sign with Lyon. If Gomes continues to stick to his guns, they'll come crawling back.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That would completely break professional sports as a whole.

Imagine players could do that - players would be leaving teams all the time, there would be no points in contracts anymore. And imagine clubs could start cutting ties with a player while only giving a small severance instead of a contract buyout, which tends to be a lot more money.

Contracts are there for a reason. To protect the club and the player.
I suspect it's something no-one would relish being tested in the courts. Professional sport is not exempt from contract law and international conventions around freedom of trade and competition. A real Pandora's box if anyone ever had the appetite to challenge current practice.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lyon went for “all or nothing” to have João Gomes. The representative of the French club that is in Rio to close the hiring of the midfielder and cross Wolverhampton met with the athlete and presented the project. There was still no consensus, but the French really want the young man. However he insists that Wolverhampton remove goal music should he sign. It is for idiots.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lyon went for “all or nothing” to have João Gomes. The representative of the French club that is in Rio to close the hiring of the midfielder and cross Wolverhampton met with the athlete and presented the project. There was still no consensus, but the French really want the young man.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I don't suppose we'll be doing any business with Lyon in the near future.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he has said no to Lyons then surely its an open goal for us if we act decisively. Add a million or so and match Lyons offer if need be. He is the crucial potential replacement for Neves in the summer. It is a really important signing to clinch because of this. Still not convinced that Hobbs and co have enough expertise in dealing with the South American market.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really understand what Tim Vickery said in his interview earlier in this thread. His club don't want him to reach 21 and still be at the club next season - somehow this has an effect upon his value is what I took from it - does anyone understand what he meant by that?

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lyon went for “all or nothing” to have João Gomes. The representative of the French club that is in Rio to close the hiring of the midfielder and cross Wolverhampton met with the athlete and presented the project. There was still no consensus, but the French really want the young man.
Makes me wonder if Alex Crook's info is legit. This guy has been the one breaking the news on Gomes the entire time and this seems a lot more open ended than what Crook said yesterday. I hope this guy tweets that Joao has told them he won't be signing with them soon as well.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if Alex Crook's info is legit. This guy has been the one breaking the news on Gomes the entire time and this seems a lot more open ended than what Crook said yesterday. I hope this guy tweets that Joao has told them he won't be signing with them soon as well.

The fact that Tim Vickery said exactly the same thing as Crook - gives me hope that it is.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact that Tim Vickery said exactly the same thing as Crook - gives me hope that it is.
I mean Vene has said that his preference is Wolves, but Crook is the only one I've saw that flat out said he won't be signing with Lyon. I need to find the Vickery thing to see if it's just a concrete as what Crook said.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really understand what Tim Vickery said in his interview earlier in this thread. His club don't want him to reach 21 and still be at the club next season - somehow this has an effect upon his value is what I took from it - does anyone understand what he meant by that?

Once a player in Brazil reaches 22, Brazilian clubs deem their value starts dropping because of the failure to move to Europe

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that. From what I hear in the interview it says he wants to go to Wolves. Same as Vene saying his preference is Wolves. Kind of like saying... I want to date a nice foreign lady, but I'd settle for local if it was my only choice.

Crook is the only one I've seen who has said that Gomes has told Lyon he won't be signing with them.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Under 21's don't count towards that limit of 17 non-homegrown players, not sure if other leagues have a similar requirement but they usually do. In the case of Gomes, he turns 22 a week or so after the registration deadline, so he wouldn't count for the rest of this season, but would from next season onwards.

Might just be referring to a soft cut-off point though where if they haven't been picked up by a European club by a certain age, they probably never will. It can be quite tough for South American players to get enough points for a work permit especially in the UK, so the fact he's just won the Copa Libertadores (and being a regular starter) I believe makes him eligible.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well if he was going to Lyon it would of been done by now surely… it doesn’t take that long to process documents

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We know a guy, let's call him Joe
Hobbs found him at Flamengo
Lyon came sniffing, he said **** you
I'm off to play at Molineux
He hates the French, he hates the French
And he goes by the name of Joao Gomes
Damned fine effort.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed.
Having dealt with a few Brazilians in football, there ain't many I'd trust to be honorable and that's being proven here. Give them a deadline to get it done, stick to it and if it doesn't happen, walk away.
Especially the one on talksport

Reaction score
Really hope we get this guy and flamengo stop playing around, reckon he could make a hell of a name for himself in the prem and be a big favourite with the wolves faithful ! He’s already half way there with the fans by telling those snail munching surrender monkeys where to shove it! FREEJOAOGOMES!

Back
Top Bottom