Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Welcome Gary

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seen a few comments about supporting someone 'who wants to be at the club'. Not sure how to read this. Surely, GON would have gone to any club, this close to the start of the season as he's been out of work since Bournemouth sacked him. He's not beat a path to Wolves' door. He surely can't believe his luck that he's landed the Wolves' job.
As for welcoming him; I'll support him as I do any manager/player/coach at Wolves and I'll reserve judgement about his abilities, until I see them play-out.
Hope for the best, but fear the worst.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
He wouldn’t have been my choice, but if it’s him, I hope he does really well!

Clearly did well at Bournemouth, hugely impressed the instructors when he did his management badges (with Howe and Dyche), used different formations at Bournemouth for different games - they don’t necessarily mean he’s going to be amazing, but hopefully point in the direction of “could do well”

Good luck, bring us success, please don’t buy any over the hill rubbish from West Ham!
I think you need to read the Bournemouth pages. The football was dire, he kept them up, and they couldn’t wait to get rid

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Do we have an agreed name for him on the Mix? Gary, GO’N, Gaz?

Last year we had Loppy, Lop, JLo, Jules, Julian (?!).

GornalWolf

Reaction score
He wants to be here, j-lo definitely did not. Let’s give him a go and not judge him off managing a shocking Bournemouth side, who without new owners, would probably be down this year. I’ll be positive until proved wrong!

GBWolf

Reaction score
It's time to back the new gaffer. Frustration of this situation needs to be directed at Fosun & Shi (and a bit to Lopetegui imo).

Welcome Gary, work hard, play with two strikers and most fans will back you.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
What bit about appointing someone who's been objectively successful in the only job he's had, in the league we're in, is annoying you so much?
You did see the standard of football they played didn’t you. Their fans couldn’t wait to get rid. Read the message boards

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I am so disappointed in the decision makers that I don’t know where to start.

Only to say; Gary seems like a decent man who will be excited about this job and will give it his all. It’s not his or the players fault, and I will keep that in mind when the inevitable frustration arises. So I am behind them both.

If it doesn’t work out, it will be Fosun and the C-Levels that get my wrath.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our first Gary since Breen??

Good luck to him but I won’t be backing or clapping him or shouting his name I support the players not a yes man manager

I won’t boo either but I’m not happy clapping someone nobody wanted
Agree with this, he will have to earn my support

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s been a mess up no doubt by Shi etc but I think JL has acted in a very unprofessional and selfish manner so good riddance to him. I’m not convinced by the appointment of O’Neil but sometimes coaches just click at clubs and this is one of those times I’m praying for. Leading is about man management and getting the best out of your team. We don’t have a terrible squad so if these players apply themselves for a coach they like and trust maybe we can shock a few people. It’s the defeatist, cowardly actions of Julen that personally I can’t stand. Good luck Gary I hope you are the right fit for us.

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it's done now......whinging, bleating, moaning, booing will fundamentally achieve **** all. Let's get behind him and the team and prove all the ****ers wrong. This is our team and our manager, bring it on!

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems china is in financial problems and as a result our club is damaged by it.
Obviously we wish Gary O'Neil and his mates success, it feels so much like when the Morgan/moxey team was in charge and we ended up with Terry bless him. It seems the dream team for a club like Shrewsbury not an aspiring premier set up as we stand.
We do have some decent talent in the squad but I can't see them hanging about for long as the option to grab money from unvalued offers come in while we load up again with a few decent championship players come in alongside our untried youngsters.
I hope I'm just being pessimistic at the moment but we seem a lot nearer albion than villa.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I loved this from the announcement:

‘Bringing with him new ideas and uniting the squad, he got the Cherries’ season back on track before being handed the job on a permanent basis in November.’

Now I am fairly sure Alamo defensive tactics are not new. In fact the Alamo had only just surrendered and the phrase entered football parlance.

It’s also played at every level of football, generally when you’ve had a skin full the night before and are playing against a better team with lots of skilful quick youngsters and the thought of running to the half way line only to run immediately back seems like too much aggravation.

What it isn’t is bright new thinking.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seen a few comments about supporting someone 'who wants to be at the club'. Not sure how to read this. Surely, GON would have gone to any club, this close to the start of the season as he's been out of work since Bournemouth sacked him. He's not beat a path to Wolves' door. He surely can't believe his luck that he's landed the Wolves' job.
As for welcoming him; I'll support him as I do any manager/player/coach at Wolves and I'll reserve judgement about his abilities, until I see them play-out.
Hope for the best, but fear the worst.
This!
There are probably hundreds of well qualified elite coaches that would want to be at a PL club, let alone a manager who's chance of getting a job like this normally are very very slim.

oldsamdingle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Welcome Gary!

He might not be the most popular choice, but he was from those within the club who were involved in the recruitment process. Those people might not be as vocal as social media are, but I trust them more than I do most of the keyboard warriors!

At last someone who actually wants to be at the club! Makes a change from Prince Julen and his PR entourage.

C'mon me babbies!!!!
These ****ers couldn't run a chip shop never mind make footballing decisions. God I need a drink.

Sidaway

Reaction score
Our first Gary since Breen??

Good luck to him but I won’t be backing or clapping him or shouting his name I support the players not a yes man manager

I won’t boo either but I’m not happy clapping someone nobody wanted
What a ****ing ridiculous thing to say?

He's been given the opportunity of a lifetime to manage our football club with the calibre of players we have (far superior to B'mouth last season) – it's up to him to grab the opportunity by the scruff of the neck and take it.

Back him and give him an opportunity at least ffs

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's going to be awkward if GON gets off to a good start. There'll be a lot of unhappy posters on here.

I think most fans that are disappointed at O’Neil’s appointment (me being one of them) will be absolutely delighted if he succeeds. I’ll happily hold my hands up and say I was wrong! I really hope this is the case.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's got a hospital pass of a job thanks to Shi.

I can only wish him good luck - like I do every manager that we employ, for better or worse - and take some small comfort in knowing that he isn't yet a proven failure of a coach, but rather an unknown quantity, but it reeks of him only getting the job because he has 100% accepted Shi's financial constraints and transfer madness and is content to be the cheap option.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Three year deal? Jesus Christ. What happened to the one year rolling contract - ideal for this kind of appointment.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great long interview here, if you want to get to know the guy a bit more.
Such a likeable down to earth man.
I really want him to do well...I really do.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We’d all probably be happier with more of a name like Potter but you could argue he underachieved at Brighton, as De Zerbi did a lot better with pretty much the same players.
O’Neil’s obviously impressed the owners with his vision for the club and despite some of the comments, the last thing Shi & Co want is relegation. Bournemouth looked dead in the water when he took over and if he had to rely on a safety first brand of football to keep them up then hopefully he can be more expansive with the squad he’s got at Wolves.
Let’s keep an open mind and we might all be pleasantly surprised. UTW

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
I am still trying to work out if this is a worse idea than Terry O Conner was
Either way its ending the same way, Oh well they got their ST money out of me so that's the main thing isn't it? Me wanting any level of joy or success is irrelevant.
It can't in any way be compared to when TC was appointed.

GON has at least managed in the top flight, acheived what has to be seen as success and wants to be a manager.

TC was a coach without any leadership aspirations or ability. Furthermore this squad is decent, and Micks old squad were totally finished and only heading one way. Most of them were not PL players.

I suspect your comments are born of frustration and dissappointment, which is understandable. But you do not know how this is going to end. Give it a chance.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just hope he proves many of us wrong. This is his big chance to take a team by the scruff of the neck and make a name for himself.
Hope it proves so although I really do not think it will happen and I can see him gone before the January transfer window.
Seriously hope I am wrong. Welcome to the pack Gary. Prove me wrong. Please.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Welcome Gary,

Not the best situation to come into but I'm sure you'll have the full backing home and away.

Gonna be a tough season but as long as more application is shown then the first half of last season thats half the battle.

Prove everyone wrong! Even myself!

Back
Top Bottom