Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Welcome Gary

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Welcome Gary, I hope you have a lot of success with us. Just a few observations though.

Firstly, none of what’s gone on is his fault so I just don’t get the animosity towards him. He had no input into the sacking of Lopetegui so what’s he supposed to do, turn it down?

Secondly, we have no idea how he will do. You simply cannot correlate his time at Bournemouth into saying that he’s a boring defensive coach. He had a clear job to do at Bournemouth, which was to find some way of keeping up the worst squad in the league anyway he could. They were conceding goals at a horrendous rate so they clearly didn’t have the players to get out of trouble by playing flowing attacking football. He has a much better squad now so give him a chance before condemning him. After all, we were told Nuno was a boring defensive coach and then got 3 seasons off the best football we’ve seen.

Thirdly, our situation is now common knowledge that we have to reign in spending to balance the books and comply with FFP so O’Neill is fully aware of the situation he is walking into so has clearly impressed Shi and Hobbs with his ideas and plans to get the job so quickly. I’m ignoring the claims that he’s getting the job purely because he’s going to be a yes man for Shi. There’s no evidence for that.

Lastly, he is probably a lot cheaper than Lopetegui. If you listen to Johnny Phillips we were paying Lopetegui well over the odds. We don’t know the details of the settlement but hopefully the money saved will make further player sales less likely.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm trying not to burden Gary with too much expectation. I'll accept a win against Man Utd by just a single goal.

T

TheConcourse

What a load of nonsense...

"His attention to detail, thoroughness and history of developing players impressed us – he’s worked with both young and experienced players and understands the process."

That goes for just about every elite coach..

"Part of our decision was if he fits to our squad, because we don’t want to rebuild a squad, we want to keep our principles going forward now, so we can have a long-term strategy.”"

What are those principles? And long term strategy? Give me a break...

"“If I have a message for our supporters, it would be that it’s OK to feel sad and disappointed about Julen’s departure, but at the same time it’s OK to be optimistic because I genuinely feel this is an exciting and progressive appointment for the club.”

No it really isnt...
It's a cheap regressive appointment.
Everything about Hobbs’ statement screamed: how can I get to 500 words.

He was struggling to be fair.

“Gary understands that you need to create patterns of play”.. or something along those lines, was a particular favourite.

Well **** me silly. Imagine a PL coach understanding that? Tbh, the PR gives me less confidence in Hobbs. It’s a car crash.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I dont understand the 3yr contract. Surely the club at least acknowledge there is a risk especially when their 'elite' manager left after 9 months.
Wolves are surely the ones with the bargaining power in the room. There is no other club in the country looking for a manager because the season starts in...... 2 days and the rest have already played lol. So if not Wolves, managers arent getting another job til the firings start.
12 month rolling surely and then if he's the next messiah we can give him another contract on the back of it.
Makes no sense.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surprised it's a 3 year deal but there you go.

He's signed, he's our manager and he should get our backing. He hasn't engineered any of what has happened at Wolves recently.

Good luck Gary, hopefully you prove us doubters wrong.

Roll on Monday night.
Are we on Sky Monday night?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dear Gary,

Welcome to the club. I thought you did a great job keeping Bournemouth up, all things considered. With a bit of luck , here's hoping you can keep us up , too.

BTW Don't listen to those pleading for attacking football. We don't have a striker, or indeed anyone, who can score enough goals. Every time we try and go attacking, we leak goals like a sieve but just can't score. We keep trying this and it always leads to us dropping down the table only to be saved by tightening up and playing "pragmatic" football.

PS Our best players are .. hmm.. err.... sold. There is no money for any more. But we have a few who always put in 100% and are decent enough to become a hard-to-beat team - Kilman, Gomes J, Gomes T, Dawson, Lemina, Hwang, Doherty, Sa.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont understand the 3yr contract. Surely the club at least acknowledge there is a risk especially when their 'elite' manager left after 9 months.
Wolves are surely the ones with the bargaining power in the room. There is no other club in the country looking for a manager because the season starts in...... 2 days and the rest have already played lol. So if not Wolves, managers arent getting another job til the firings start.
12 month rolling surely and then if he's the next messiah we can give him another contract on the back of it.
Makes no sense.
We also handed a 3 year contract to Doherty who turns 32 in January
I dont know who negotiates these contracts with manager and players, but it doesnt seem to make much sense financially...
Doubt O'Neill will last 3 seasons, and I can't imagine a 35 year old Doc, still making thoughs tireless runs in 3 years time...

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Welcome Gary, I hope you have a lot of success with us. Just a few observations though.

Firstly, none of what’s gone on is his fault so I just don’t get the animosity towards him. He had no input into the sacking of Lopetegui so what’s he supposed to do, turn it down?

Secondly, we have no idea how he will do. You simply cannot correlate his time at Bournemouth into saying that he’s a boring defensive coach. He had a clear job to do at Bournemouth, which was to find some way of keeping up the worst squad in the league anyway he could. They were conceding goals at a horrendous rate so they clearly didn’t have the players to get out of trouble by playing flowing attacking football. He has a much better squad now so give him a chance before condemning him. After all, we were told Nuno was a boring defensive coach and then got 3 seasons off the best football we’ve seen.

Thirdly, our situation is now common knowledge that we have to reign in spending to balance the books and comply with FFP so O’Neill is fully aware of the situation he is walking into so has clearly impressed Shi and Hobbs with his ideas and plans to get the job so quickly. I’m ignoring the claims that he’s getting the job purely because he’s going to be a yes man for Shi. There’s no evidence for that.

Lastly, he is probably a lot cheaper than Lopetegui. If you listen to Johnny Phillips we were paying Lopetegui well over the odds. We don’t know the details of the settlement but hopefully the money saved will make further player sales less likely.
Or the money used to settle his contact and all the back room staff means we are even more skint.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Welcome Gary.

Was hoping for a longer deal so he can really build something but 3 years is probably sensible given his lack of experience.

I'm sure everyone will get behind this appointment and hopefully he can push us towards the top half.
Hoping for a longer deal than 3 years? Is your name John O’Neil? :D

In all seriousness, he’s here now, so will get behind him.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Makes no sense.

Contracts have break clauses!

T

TheConcourse

I dont know who negotiates these contracts with manager and players, but it doesnt seem to make much sense financially...
Doubt O'Neill will last 3 seasons, and I can't imagine a 35 year old Doc, still making thoughs tireless runs in 3 years time...
People are still starry-eyed because we managed to sign someone from South America.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our first Gary since Breen??

Good luck to him but I won’t be backing or clapping him or shouting his name I support the players not a yes man manager

I won’t boo either but I’m not happy clapping someone nobody wanted
That's a rather pathetic attitude. He's a Wolf now.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best of luck Gary.
Just don’t trust or rely on any of the leadership team, mainly some bloke called Shi, and don’t be fooled by Hobbs, will do anything to save his own skin.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our first Gary since Breen??

Good luck to him but I won’t be backing or clapping him or shouting his name I support the players not a yes man manager

I won’t boo either but I’m not happy clapping someone nobody wanted
How on earth can you conclude he is a Yes Man nanager? What a ludicrous post.

John Wolves Fan

Groupie
Reaction score
Hoping for a longer deal than 3 years? Is your name John O’Neil? :D

In all seriousness, he’s here now, so will get behind him.
You could say the longer the deal the more confidence it shows in the appointment.

3 is OK but hoped would be longer as I expect this will be a long term project.

Really excited by the appointment now he is here and I think he'll shock a few people.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After reading the Hobbs interview I am a little more encouraged reading between the lines. I get from that, the players all new for 10 days, and we got a goodperfomance against Rennes. Smiling faces. Noone breaking ranks to whine about his departure - I wonder if, after reading Spiers article and JL’s character - unapproachable at times and moody coupled with his treatment of loved players at the end of the season etc that they are happy hes gone

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could say the longer the deal the more confidence it shows in the appointment.

3 is OK but hoped would be longer as I expect this will be a long term project.

Really excited by the appointment now he is here and I think he'll shock a few people.
I could be wrong but think 3 years is actually a pretty decent length contract for a manager these days.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's why were in the s##t

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
from the hobbs article...

“When a manager comes into a playing group, you need their buy in, and in the past maybe that would have been harder, but the leadership group we’ve got have done a great job of managing the dressing room and keeping it upbeat. It’s as good an atmosphere as I’ve known since I’ve been at the club.

“The leadership group will embrace and support the manager and help get his message across. I don’t have a single worry about that and I’ve been talking to some players during the process, to make sure they’re in the loop. Everyone trusts in the club and the process we’ve been through, so we’re excited to work with him.”

and again **** off.
Well now he has Bod's backing all he has to do is win over the rest of us. :D :cool: :tonguewink:

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Welcome Gary, you wanted it you got it.
Don’t trust the little guy. Hope you prove all the gloom and doom knowitall toldyasos wrong.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a bit harsh!!!
I can see him lasting 3 seasons..... Summer, Autumn and Winter!

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really hope he hits the ground running and does well for us just to see the majority on here coming back with their tails between their legs

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Welcome Gary.

Was hoping for a longer deal so he can really build something but 3 years is probably sensible given his lack of experience.

I'm sure everyone will get behind this appointment and hopefully he can push us towards the top half.

Bored of the baggies forum?

Back
Top Bottom