Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict: Wolverhampton vs. Preston North End (FT)

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Wolves 2 - 0 PNE (FT)

Post your Match Reports and Player Ratings here.
This thread is for verdicts on the game and your player ratings. Please help to keep this thread on topic.

Summary: After a dominant first quarter of the game, Edwards managed to put Wolves into the lead from McDonald's through ball. Early on in the second half, Evans doubled Wolves' lead with another rebound, this time after Rudd had parried Henry's shot away. Quiet from Preston after Wolves' second goal, and only ever threatened from set-pieces. A clean sheet for McCarey, and three points to the good boys.

Manager quotes:

Kenny Jackett: "We have got quite a determined and confident bunch but in the end it is only getting wins that can help breed that confidence. I am pleased with 2-0 today but still think we can improve and put more of our chances away and get more goals. We are in third spot and that’s not where we want to be – we want to be higher."

Simon Grayson: "It’s nice to play nice football at times, but sometimes you have got to get the opposition turned and facing their own goal and that’s what they did to us at times.
They had our back three and back four running towards our own goal and putting us under pressure, we didn’t do that enough today, we were too predictable, too much football played in front of their back four and in the midfield where they were very strong."

WOLVES: McCarey, Ricketts, Batth, Stearman, Golbourne, Henry, Evans (56), McDonald, Edwards (28), Jacobs, Griffiths.
SUBS: Hennessey, Elokobi, Davis, Sako, Cassidy, McAlinden, Doyle.

PRESTON: Rudd, Clarke, King, Wright, Buchanan, Holmes, Welsh, Kilkenny, Gallagher, Hume, Garner.
SUBS: Stuckman, Humphrey, Laird, Davies, Wiseman, Brownhill, Keane.

Date: Saturday, January 11th
Venue: Molineux
Referee: Scott Mathieson
Attendance: 20, 434.

Newspapers:

Express & Star Match Report

Video:

Match highlights.

Links:

Commentary thread.

MM Predictions vs. PNE

Last edited by a moderator:

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that people would be offended ;)

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score

D

Deleted member LP 3925

S

SouthwesternWolf

Excellent from Jackett and the players today. He recognised we played well at Gillingham without threatening enough, and made a few tweaks today and it paid off.

Hopefully with the addition of Dicko we'll get scoring more

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has finished now!

A very good win that hopefully restarts our campaign for an automatic promotion spot.

Well played Wolves.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
If anybody is willing to put up the format for the commentary or verdict threads, then be my guest.

Anyway, here's to some verdicts.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow we win a game and all people can go on about is to moan about who starts a verdict thread and at what time.. $$$$ing hell.

Anyway, credit to KJ on the formation and team selection. Liked the look of it before the game.
Preston have been in great form so this a great result considering our poor form.

O

Orbital Wolves

So dominating teams and now (hopefully) starting to win again.

Well done KJ. Looking forward to Crawley

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thought it was a very good performance today. Golbourne and Macdonald were excellent. Stearman needs to take his stilettos off and wear football boots!! I noticed our gk coach training by himself at ht, aint got a clue what that was about, looked like he was waiting for a partner who never showed up, odd.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really need this to be a turning point now.

Brentford and Orient are not going to fall away so we need to start our own run now.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we have some verdicts please. I can listen to kids squabbling about who wants to be first just by listening to my pair. Grow up.

xxx

you probably need to wait an hour till the people who watched the match get home.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Stick to verdicts, or at least match discussion please folks. Erick and SanFran do good work for the forum.

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No body calls it Frisco,except the tourists

Sister Sledge did in their famous 70s masterpiece "we are family" but maybe they were touring within the lyric. :D

Back to the thread. Top top result against a fellow challenger in form. Huge confidence booster and by all accounts a good performance. Much needed.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing how Evans did. I think he's excellent on the ball for someone of his age and experience.

Best result of the season so far.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Will be brief

Best I've seen us play this season

Globourne pick of the defenders for me

I've had my doubts about MacDonald but he ran the game today.

Also special shout out for Lee Evans thought he did very well.

1908radford

Great performance first half ,we limited Preston to a few breaks by constantly attacking them.We rode our luck when they hit the bar and had one disallowed but we deserved to go in at half time ahead.
Dave Edwards first half display was the catalyst for much of the attacking play.
Our formation is now settling down and we are dominating games much more but we must find a striker that can play the lone role as Griff doesnt seem to handle it to well and does not seem himself.Personally i think hes best in a front two.
Second half Edwards went off for Davis and it seemed to throw things off for awhile but we recovered and went back on the offence and fully deserved the 3 points!
Could have scored 4 or 5 with more composure in front of goal and not getting caught offside as much,which was mainly down to Griffiths.
Over all a very good win against a close rival leaving us with a 5 point cushion.
MOM for me was Mcdonald!

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great performance first half ,we limited Preston to a few breaks by constantly attacking them.We rode our luck when they hit the bar and had one disallowed but we deserved to go in at half time ahead.
Dave Edwards first half display was the catalyst for much of the attacking play.
Our formation is now settling down and we are dominating games much more but we must find a striker that can play the lone role as Griff doesnt seem to handle it to well and does not seem himself.Personally i think hes best in a front two.
Second half Edwards went off for Davis and it seemed to throw things off for awhile but we recovered and went back on the offence and fully deserved the 3 points!
Could have scored 4 or 5 with more composure in front of goal and not getting caught offside as much,which was mainly down to Griffiths who seemed out of sorts today.
Over all a very good win against a close rival leaving us with a 5 point cushion.
MOM for me was Mcdonald!

sounds promising. We really needed a good win today to make sure brentford and orient dont get too far away. How did edwards play in 2nd half? He usually gets a lot of unwarranted critisism on here, particularly as hes a player who pops up with important goals fro time to time.

ladywolf

Reaction score
It's not about me wanting to start a thread. You can see I don't post often.

I just used to like it when different posters used to start the match day threads to see if it would bring us any luck, and if we won the same poster would do the next game to see if it worked again.

I forgot if your not in the elite crop of posters on here you aren't allowed an opinion.

I won't comment anymore on this.

In regards to my verdict I am glad we got a win but KJ must address the striker problem.

Edwards gets a bit more grief than he deserves. He is a decent league 1 player and he didn't do too badly in the championship before we were promoted.

Glad McCarey kept a clean sheet, my Walsall supporting friend raved about him when he completed his loan there.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You won't find a more comprehensive win than that anywhere. Out played them in every department.

God know how they've only lost once since October. They were awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just used to like it when different posters used to start the match day threads to see if it would bring us any luck, and if we won the same poster would do the next game to see if it worked again.

Good idea, we won so Erik gets to start the next commentary thread :D

Good all round performance today. Mcdonald starting to run midfield good range of passing. Good half from Edwards, unlucky not go get more than the one he got. created more chances than in recent games, but can still be a bit more clinical in front of goal. If we can sign a good in form striker who can play the loan striker role and partner for Griffiths we should be in good shape (sound like we could be getting close to a deal for Nouah Dicko)

Back
Top Bottom