Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict- Chelsea v Wolves

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's obviously irrelevant given that we scored from this, but it's absolutely mind-blowing to me that from this position in the dying seconds of the match Donk decides to bring the ball down, turn around and play it back to Trincao and we end up crossing it from way out on the right-wing!

Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 23.42.34.png

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it was a very ordinary 75 mins and an outstanding 15 mins at the end. I doubt we could play a full 90 at that kind of intensity, but playing on the front foot was so much better to watch and it puts teams under pressure. We have to find a way to play like we did in the latter part of the game in a more controlled way because you won't be able to get away with playing gung ho football like that all the time.

Huge credit to the team for sticking at it and getting the point in the end. Chelsea just had no answers.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched the game on Sky
Competent, calm professional and coordinated.
The team talked , communicated and organised together. They seemed happy in their team play.
I just scratched my head trying to understand why we have seen such a different team for last 2 months.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. Before today's brilliant cross for the equaliser, the lad had already shown the ability to deliver such crosses.
Wasn’t Bruno brought in because one of his ‘skills’ was bringing through young players?

Pity the team couldn’t find the last 15 minutes form more often in the previous run of poor performances. I’m sure they’ve got it in them and they look a better team when on the front foot. But we’ve mostly been a team that plays well in short periods of 15-20 mins per game. Improve on that and we would be nearer 5th than 7th.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not going to go over board but I'm sure I saw a little bit of the old Raul the last 30 mins. In and around the box, little passes and movement. He had people around him. Options .
The fact that we are still in with a chance of Europe despite our star attacker (and main goalscorer) Raul being out of sorts for the whole season is really a testament to the job Bruno is doing.

Next season if Raul can get back to what he was (even just 75%) our attack will be significantly improved and that is before you add a a fully fit and firing Neto into the mix.

Last edited:

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's obviously irrelevant given that we scored from this, but it's absolutely mind-blowing to me that from this position in the dying seconds of the match Donk decides to bring the ball down, turn around and play it back to Trincao and we end up crossing it from way out on the right-wing!

View attachment 27839

Dendoncker has literally no vision or ability to make a progressive pass at all and just plays it safe, thankfully Trincao saw Chiquinho charging up the wing to feed it to him to rectify what would have been a major balls up from Dendoncker had it come to nothing.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strange game. Rode our luck defensively first half but always looked a threat on the counter. Best that Neto has looked since returning.

Two shambolic bits of defending from Saiss and Coady gifted them a 2-0 lead and we looked rattled for 20 minutes. The substitutions of Trincao, who I still maintain will go on to be a really good player, and Chiquinho, who gave us that chaos factor that we’ve lacked since Adama left (with the added bonus of crossing ability) completely changed the game.

Beautiful strike from Trincao who has so much technical quality and a brilliant cross from Chiquinho for Coady to atone for his earlier error.

Really think we need to try a 4 against Norwich as a potential pre-cursor for next season and get an extra attacking player on the pitch.

Sa 7
Boly 6
Coady 6 (extra mark for the goal)
Saiss 4
Jonny 6
Neves 6
Dendoncker 6 (extra mark for the last 15 mins)
RAN 5
Raul 6
Neto 7

Hwang 6
Trincao 7
Chiquinho 7

The game probably showed where we need to strengthen next season (and to be fair, it’s the same areas as it has been for a while). A quick, aerially strong central defender so we can play a 4. An upgrade on Dendoncker and a long-term replacement for Moutinho.

Sa
Semedo, Kilman, Carmo, Jonny
Palhinha
Vitinha, Neves/Nunes
Guedes/Pedrinho, Raul, Neto

Sarkic, RAN, Coady, Mosquera, Moutinho/M Neto, Chiquinho, Trincao/Podence, MGW, Fabio

Well done today though boys. Performance was much improved bar that 20-minute spell of our own making.
Agreed. Very odd game. First half was fairly typical Wolves - mostly reducing the opposition to half chances without looking especially dangerous ourselves, save for a few counter attacks where we lost possession or spooned it, but we were in the game at least.

Second half we were mostly completely abject. It wasn't just the individual errors, which were symptoms rather than triggers, the whole team just failed to gel. Saïss was frequently left as the spare man, Coady lacked decisiveness, Dendoncker ran around pointing a la Doumbia (nowhere near the ball), Neves doesn't look fit, Jonny was truly terrible, giving the ball away in dangerous areas frequently, and Aît-Nouri looked completely devoid of confidence, spooning every crossfield ball. We looked an absolute shambles for most of the half, no two ways about it, and whilst we could have gone in level at half time (even with the slightly fortunate, although correct VAR decision) Chelsea thoroughly deserved their 2-0 lead and probably should have had two more through Werner, who gave Coady and Saïss the runaround.

Then from the 81st minute the subs changed the game. Moutinho, whose touch had been horrific up until then, began finding gold shirts, who began finding space. Chiquinho, playing on the right of a midfield three, and Trincao, playing further forward but drifting inside, changed the game with direct running and excellent close control.

The Trincao goal was his own making, but the equaliser was a team goal, and after so much of the game with our backs against the wall it was great to see the team show some character.

However, the nature of the victory will naturally paper over the cracks. We were crap for a lot of the game and in all honesty rode our luck, so I'm celebrating a point tonight but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't change much, and it's all about the next game.

Sa 8
Boly 6
Coady 6
Saiss 4
Jonny 5
Neves 5
Moutinho 5.5
Dendoncker 5
Ait-Nouri 5
Raul 5.5
Neto 6

Subs:

Trincao 8
Chiquinho 8
Hwang 5.5

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Today's fightback shows the team have got character, and will battle to the final whistle. I presume whatever the problem was with their character last week was discussed and put to bed during the past week in training.

They have obviously bin talking about it,cuz Coady said they were all hurt from reading fans were saying they were on the beach.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I would have liked to give a verdict on the game ( from the comfort of my armchair) but the camera's spent more time focussed on the " new owner" and his mates than the actual game.

I will say , Sa kept us in it, Donk should have buried his chance, Saiss has sadly become a liability, Coady redeemed himself for a shocking game with the equaliser, Boly was our best defender, Silva should have come on instead of Hwang, Jimenez played one of his better games of late...... Chiquinho and Trincao changed the game.

Why can't we produce the last 15 minutes every week?!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact that we are still in with a chance of Europe despite our star attacker (and main goalscorer) Raul being out of sorts for the whole season is really a testament to the job Bruno is doing.

Next season if Raul can get back to what he was (even just 75%) our attack will be significantly improved and that is before you add a a fully fit and firing Neto into the mix.

I really hope I am wrong, but after that terrible injury, I do wonder whether Raul will ever return to his pre injury form.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn’t Bruno brought in because one of his ‘skills’ was bringing through young players?
Quite right, mate, which is why many of us have been surprised that Chiquinho has had so little time in the first team, given the glimpses we've seen of his potential.

Onwards and upwards with him now, let's hope!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it was a very ordinary 75 mins and an outstanding 15 mins at the end. I doubt we could play a full 90 at that kind of intensity, but playing on the front foot was so much better to watch and it puts teams under pressure. We have to find a way to play like we did in the latter part of the game in a more controlled way because you won't be able to get away with playing gung ho football like that all the time.

Huge credit to the team for sticking at it and getting the point in the end. Chelsea just had no answers.
Agree with you Mugwump. We can play like we did in the final 15 or so minutes when there is nothing to lose. However when it is 0-0 or 1-0, then we have to be more circumspect. There is a middle point, between the two extremes and that is what we need to find and execute more often.

R

reanswolf

Scores on the doors..................

Jose Sa - 8 poor as usual on the penalty but otherwise excellent saves, kept us in the game
Jonny 7.5 - steady from Jonny who looks to be slotting back in nicely
Alt Nouri - 8 - steadily improving, his attacking play is delightful at times but poor finishing yesterday
Coady - 8 - strong performance from our Captain capped off with a fine headed equaliser
Saiss - 6 - a bit ropey and a silly penalty conceded, always gives 100%
Boly - 8.5 - superb performance yesterday, commanded everything and regularly brought the ball out nicely
Neves - 7 - steady without being spectacular, gradually getting fitness back. Wouldn't fault him for the 2nd Chelsea goal.
Moutinho - 7 - gave the ball away a few times but steady when required and ended strongly
Dendoncker - 6 - thought he was poor but then ended strongly, to his credit
Jimenez - 7.5 - I thought he looked far more hungry yesterday, ok things didn't quite fall for him but he was back to looking dangerous
Neto - 7.5 - another who looks to be getting back to his best, one lovely run and shot that fell to Donk. A good run out.

SUBS

Chiquinho - 8 - injected much-needed mobility into our team, and got 2 assists. Livewire on the wing.
Chan - 7 - worked hard and looked lively
Trincao - 7 - lovely technique and goal

Can't remember if we had any other subs.

Good day out, my first visit to Stamford Bridge since the old days and was quite impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scores on the doors..................

Jose Sa - 8 poor as usual on the penalty but otherwise excellent saves, kept us in the game
Jonny 7.5 - steady from Jonny who looks to be slotting back in nicely
Alt Nouri - 8 - steadily improving, his attacking play is delightful at times
Coady - 8 - strong performance from our Captain capped off with a fine headed equaliser
Saiss - 6 - a bit ropey and a silly penalty conceded, always gives 100%
Boly - 8.5 - superb performance yesterday, commanded everything and regularly brought the ball out nicely
Neves - 7 - steady without being spectacular, gradually getting fitness back. Wouldn't fault him for the 2nd Chelsea goal.
Moutinho - 7 - gave the ball away a few times but steady when required and ended strongly
Dendoncker - 6 - thought he was poor but then ended strongly, to his credit
Jimenez - 7.5 - I thought he looked far more hungry yesterday, ok things didn't quite fall for him but he was back to looking dangerous
Neto - 7.5 - another who looks to be getting back to his best, one lovely run and shot that fell to Donk. A good run out.

SUBS

Chiquinho - 8 - injected much-needed mobility into our team, and got 2 assists. Livewire on the wing.
Chan - 7 - worked hard and looked lively

Can't remember if we had any other subs.

Good day out, my first visit to Stanford Bridge since the old days and was quite impressed.

You missed Trincao!

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hangover 10/10
Surprised 11/10

15 minutes that have been missing most the season. Chiquino, feel free to come round, I've got a wife you can ****.

Good day, more of the same please, back to slumber.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has to be a back four going forward surely??

The downside is watching the foot rush between Werner and Coady :eek:…. Proves Conor can never play in a four!

That’s the nettle that had to be grasped I’m afraid.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He missed the whole match judging by those scores..... Coady & RAN 8? Jonny 7.5 ? I thought they were 3 of our poorest.
RAN got MOTM from the live coverage commentators on TalkSPORT 2

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still trying to digest what I saw yesterday. First half was 'old-style' Wolves, sit back, contain and counter. Created 2 good chances (Donck and RAN) and 2 half chances (Saiss headers). Played ok against, lets remember, the World Club Champions.
For 30 minutes of the 2nd half we were poor, conceding 2 very preventable goals and visibly losing confidence. Then came 15 minutes of what those who follow rugby would call 'catch-up' football. At 2-0 down, with time running out you may as well lose 5-0 as 2-0. So, take risks, flood forward - basically have a go.
I'm not sure if we were playing 4-2-4 by then or a VERY flexible 3-5-2 but the outcome was startling. Instead of the painfully slow transition through midfield we have been watching all season, now the ball was being shifted quickly from defender to midfielder to attacker. OK, Chelsea's failure to properly protect their back 3 helped our cause, but whilst we risked being caught on the counter at least we looked like we might score ourselves. And, lo and behold it came to pass...
As others have said, you can't play like that for 90 minutes - the risks are too great - but if we can mix up the two distinctly different styles we saw yesterday we could be in for some real entertainment. The problem is that we need the personnel capable of playing both styles without using substitutions . Over to you, Jeff...

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having slept off the (small) wave of euphoria my main thoughts today are “why?” and “if only!” Why were we so utterly hopeless in the preceding supposedly more winnable games and if only we had shown some of yesterday’s spunk in those matches we would be right up there for European football. Wolves flatter to disappoint again.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Having slept off the (small) wave of euphoria my main thoughts today are “why?” and “if only!” Why were we so utterly hopeless in the preceding supposedly more winnable games and if only we had shown some of yesterday’s spunk in those matches we would be right up there for European football. Wolves flatter to disappoint again.
It sounds like a daft answer but it’s “because we’re Wolves!”

It’s what we do. The team build your hope, knock it down then just when you think that it’s all gone they pull it back again.

Besides, if we could put in good performances against the top sides, AND beat all the lesser sides, we’d be Man City/Liverpool.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great video of the goal celebration and so nice to snatch a point after the game looked lost. Chiquinhou has to start / play the majority of the last few games and maybe Trincao is the technical player that will improve and give us someone who can take a player on. Would like us to sign Brereton Diaz from Blackburn as part of a rebuild.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Partly to do with how those teams play? Chelsea are the European Champions, playing at home, the onus is on them to "put on a show" against upstarts like Wolves. Very very different context to that faced by Burnley. Also Brighton. Chelsea were pushing forward at 2-0, perhaps trying to impress the new owner (who is actually Bob Fossil the Zoo manager from Mighty Boosh). It's not like it's something new for us to be totally flat against a bottom of the table club, then look like a genuine top 7 team against one of the Sky 6. Especially for 20 minutes of a match, after 70 minutes of "hanging in there" - could argue that is our very identity from the day we returned!

Also, funny how it turned out, this clash between a "world class manager" Tuchel, who presumably is the kind of status we would like, and the totally inexperienced, clueless Lage. Chelsea looked as clueless at managing the match at 2-0 as we did against Leeds. Worse, because of the quality of their players. You'd expect a "world class manager" to be able to organise this highly talented team to hold a two goal lead against a side who can't score goals, wouldn't you? Fairly damning that he played right into our hands and was as "rabbit in the headlights" as any rooky manager when the fair weather turns rough.

R

reanswolf

Surely its mostly to do with quality and depth of squad.

Chelsea were full of big strong lads, top internationals nearly all to a man.

We are light years away, yesterday took immense effort and perseverance and togetherness on behalf of the lads - ALL of them.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't a terrible performance pre Chelsea going a goal up it was pretty even until that point. We had a mad 10 minutes and gifting Chelsea 2 goals with Saiss being Saiss and Coady's poor pass.

Hwang, Trincao (surprisingly) and Chiquinho made a huge impact driving forward carrying the ball and showing attacking intent.

The last 20 minutes we looked good like we did in the first 3 games of the season I don't think it was the formation it was the upping the tempo finally and moving the ****ing ball forward.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. Very odd game. First half was fairly typical Wolves - mostly reducing the opposition to half chances without looking especially dangerous ourselves, save for a few counter attacks where we lost possession or spooned it, but we were in the game at least.

Second half we were mostly completely abject. It wasn't just the individual errors, which were symptoms rather than triggers, the whole team just failed to gel. Saïss was frequently left as the spare man, Coady lacked decisiveness, Dendoncker ran around pointing a la Doumbia (nowhere near the ball), Neves doesn't look fit, Jonny was truly terrible, giving the ball away in dangerous areas frequently, and Aît-Nouri looked completely devoid of confidence, spooning every crossfield ball. We looked an absolute shambles for most of the half, no two ways about it, and whilst we could have gone in level at half time (even with the slightly fortunate, although correct VAR decision) Chelsea thoroughly deserved their 2-0 lead and probably should have had two more through Werner, who gave Coady and Saïss the runaround.

Then from the 81st minute the subs changed the game. Moutinho, whose touch had been horrific up until then, began finding gold shirts, who began finding space. Chiquinho, playing on the right of a midfield three, and Trincao, playing further forward but drifting inside, changed the game with direct running and excellent close control.

The Trincao goal was his own making, but the equaliser was a team goal, and after so much of the game with our backs against the wall it was great to see the team show some character.

However, the nature of the victory will naturally paper over the cracks. We were crap for a lot of the game and in all honesty rode our luck, so I'm celebrating a point tonight but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't change much, and it's all about the next game.

Sa 8
Boly 6
Coady 6
Saiss 4
Jonny 5
Neves 5
Moutinho 5.5
Dendoncker 5
Ait-Nouri 5
Raul 5.5
Neto 6

Subs:

Trincao 8
Chiquinho 8
Hwang 5.5
Loved that you said ‘nature of the victory’!

A last minute equaliser is often better than than cruising to three easy points.

Shame we haven’t seen more of that desire this season isn’t it?

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good video of the equaliser here, yours truly in the cream coloured coat (fat ******* getting onto a seat on 33 seconds) :)-

That's the way to do it Nick.What was the lads on the front row doing though.playing with their phones. :mad:

R

reanswolf

That's the way to do it Nick.What was the lads on the front row doing though.playing with their phones. :mad:
Oh mate there's too many doing that these days, rather than singing and supporting.
Gets on my tits.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It sounds like a daft answer but it’s “because we’re Wolves!”

It’s what we do. The team build your hope, knock it down then just when you think that it’s all gone they pull it back again.

Besides, if we could put in good performances against the top sides, AND beat all the lesser sides, we’d be Man City/Liverpool.

Yes, this is pretty much what "mid table" looks like. Some good, some bad, plenty of frustration. Runs of 3 or 4 losses then runs of 3 or 4 wins. Given how often we finished 7th to 12th in the Championship, doing much the same but at a lower level, it all feels quite familiar to me! And I would much rather be inconsistent, frustrating and perplexing in this league, than in the Land Where Dinosaurs Roam aka The Championship. :D

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have obviously bin talking about it,cuz Coady said they were all hurt from reading fans were saying they were on the beach.

There you go. The comments on Trincao being a failure clearly had the effect! He did look like a man possessed when he came on. Total speculation, but maybe , as he's naturally gifted, it's taken this long to really sink in that it isn't enough without drive and hard work? For the first time this season, he looked like someone who *really* was prepared to give it their all. I've been super critical of himn all season, thought he was lazy and half-baked from day 1. Would be good to see if he can keep that fire in his play in the run in, to see what he could do. The next step would be to be able to play at intensity for 90 minutes, not just the occasional 15 minute burst.

Back
Top Bottom