Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Transfer window: The verdict

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the close of the transfer window then the most important thing to establish now is who won the battle of the ITKs?

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
Overall a good window, especially the incomings. If i'm being picky; i think we are a little light for cover.

Would have been great to get Dawson in but seemingly Villa scuppered that. Hoping we will now go for Denayer.

If we'd have sold Hwang and brought in an AM i would have been really happy. Just hope Hwang can get his confidence up now if he's here.

Would have loved to keep MGW but the fee, along with his contract made it the right decision to sell imo.

Neves still here. Just sign a shiny new contract please.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The window started slow, too slow, and it was looking like it would be even worse than last summer. But, after an apparent change of heart, strategy, whatever, those involved turned it into one of the best windows. A pretty thorough clear out of the fringe players (I’m surprised Adama is still here), retained our biggest stars, and brought in some young quality through the spine with will give the coach (whoever that may be) more options than we had.

Well done to everyone involved at Wolves.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And Cutrone's remark ?
I was talking specifically about Max. People have more than once on here said that Nuno didn’t take to him - couldn’t be more wrong.

Cutrone’s remark was emotional and probably should have been kept to himself.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Still hard to understand the odd poster complaining that we didn't do our business earlier. Frustrating that there is so much naivety about the transfer window. We couldn't do it earlier, that's the way the transfer window works. We could have concluded our business a good few weeks ago, but if we had we would have had to sign players other than Nunes, Guedes, Kalajdzic and Traore. You have to wait for players to be available, clubs to be ready to sell, players to understand their options and fees to be negotiated under brinkmanship as the clock ticks on.

NordicWolf

Reaction score
Best window in years. For a perfect score we are only missing cover for CB (Boly) and more competition on WB. Maybe we should have sold Hwang (when we had the chance) and brought in Joao Pedro.
Very happy with this window now over to you Bruno.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we have got shot of one to many central defensive options and have one too many forward options.

Saiss, Coady, Boly, Marcal, Donk going leaves us short of experience.

I would potentially have liked another centre midfield option too but I also believe we have flexibility now too so may play 4-2-1-2 or 4-4-2 also if required as we are top heavy with Hwang staying.

I think each signing is either an upgrade or a massive upgrade.

The main thing for me though is we have kept our prize asset, Neves and have built the new team around him.

Time to perform.

8.5/10

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I was talking specifically about Max. People have more than once on here said that Nuno didn’t take to him - couldn’t be more wrong.

Cutrone’s remark was emotional and probably should have been kept to himself.
Nuno randomly bombed him midway through the year

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still hard to understand the odd poster complaining that we didn't do our business earlier. Frustrating that there is so much naivety about the transfer window. We couldn't do it earlier, that's the way the transfer window works. We could have concluded our business a good few weeks ago, but if we had we would have had to sign players other than Nunes, Guedes, Kalajdzic and Traore. You have to wait for players to be available, clubs to be ready to sell, players to understand their options and fees to be negotiated under brinkmanship as the clock ticks on.

I disagree. Even some relatively well connected journalists commented that something changed at the club about a month ago. Prior to that we wouldn’t sign quality players without someone of similar value leaving first. After that change in strategy, Mendes was routinely present and we ticked off a couple of major signings without a sniff of a major outgoing. As further evidence, until this summer, we hadn’t spent net money on transfers since our first year in the PL, and in the Ask Wolves videos, the mantra was on self sufficiency.

I’m not complaining about the change, but had that change happened at the start of the window, then I’m confident at least of the good business would have been done earlier.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Near perfect for me. Another CB would have been 10/10 but as it didn’t happen I’ll say 9/10.

Can’t underestimate how keeping Neves has been. After the last home game of the season I don’t think there was a fan in the ground who thought he’d wear a wolves shirt again.

modenawolf

Reaction score
A- for me.

Positives: improved spine of the starting 11 with signings at CB, CM and CF. Nunes absolutely mind-blowing acquisition. Kept Neves and Neto.
Negatives: lose a couple of grades because we look a bit light at CB and because we should have got a CF in much earlier.

Personally sorry to see Coady leave, regardless of his limitations as a player, but that hasn't impacted my overall vote.

On the whole a great window, and way, way beyond my early summer expectations.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well considering that about 6 weeks back or less we had many posters on here shouting that Fosun had obviously pulled the plug,there would be no investment unless Neves was sold,Sellars was running the club etc, its been a fantastic window
Ofc it will take time to gel and get players up to speed in the Prem,but can anyone actually moan at bringing in Collins, Nunes, Guedes and keeping Neves?
We dont, and cant possibly know if all the incomings will work out yet,thats football im afraid not every buy works,but kudos to Fosun for buying players that i thought were out of our reach especially Nunes
Minor criticisms are being late bringing them in, but we know how hard it is to get your targets over the line
Not getting Dawson as experienced back up,but that was out of our control and can be done in January perhaps
Otherwise far exceeded my expectations,just hope Lage is the man to do the job now

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder what the back story was with Adama during the window. Amazed no one would offer 8-10 mil for him.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
8/10 for me. If we're playing a three man midfield I would argue that we need better cover than Traore and Ronan, neither of whom have a PL appearance between them. That is the bigger concern for me than CB, at least Toti has some valuable experience under his belt. But both positions are weak for cover.

• Collins, despite a couple of hairy moments looks very good and for his age is an excellent signing.
  • Nunes, already seen moments of brilliance from him which in time will I'm sure develop in to match winning performances.
  • Guedes, I thought he looked very good in the Newcastle game, not so at Bournemouth, very similar to other players we have but hopefully can develop some consistency. The comparisons with Jota I understand but he'll need to start to be more direct and a genuine goal threat (along with many others)
  • Kalajdzic, looks to be what we need upfront, lets see how he progresses at this level.
  • Traore, know absolutely nothing about him so unfair to comment but on the face of it a raw talent.

In an ideal world we would have kept Boly and Dendoncker and brought in the above but with the WC coming so soon I can understand why Donck (and Coady) wanted away.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
An excellent window, massively impressed with the clubs work, only let down by not accepting Leeds offer for Hwang.

Up to Bruno to make it work or be upgraded now.

Last edited:

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully all the incomings will prove their worth in quick time (hasn't happened yet) and we can be up and running with a few wins.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The most radical reworking of the team since Nuno joined? Some excellent signings. Including 3 players I'd actually heard of and believed would improve us, before the window. Nunes, Guedes and Collins. Though I must have seen Sasa play for Austria in the Euros, can't remember him. He may turn out to be the most important of the lot.

Now the hard work really starts of trying to build these individuals into a team after all these significant changes. Even with the new signings being drip fed into the team so far, it's been perplexing that while Collins instantly improved the defence, there is no sign of any improvement elsewhere on the pitch yet.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I disagree. Even some relatively well connected journalists commented that something changed at the club about a month ago. Prior to that we wouldn’t sign quality players without someone of similar value leaving first. After that change in strategy, Mendes was routinely present and we ticked off a couple of major signings without a sniff of a major outgoing. As further evidence, until this summer, we hadn’t spent net money on transfers since our first year in the PL, and in the Ask Wolves videos, the mantra was on self sufficiency.

I’m not complaining about the change, but had that change happened at the start of the window, then I’m confident at least of the good business would have been done earlier.
Wouldn't disagree there's been a change of direction, but even with money and willingness to spend, buying players in transfer windows takes time and patience and all the factors I mentioned earlier. You can't just buy every player you want for the price you're will to pay straight away.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well done really good window,
Just two or three questions for me:
- Was Kalajdzic our main striker target? Do we think we need an additional one? I’m worried about Raul’s form and the event of one injury we are in the same position as before.
- do we need another Centre back come Full back cover? I think we do, loss of form or injury to Kilman & Collins and we only have Toti & Jerson with little and no experience.
- What happened to the Chilean winger and Argentina midfielder? Are they happening after their seasons are over and announced in the Jan window? If they were targets and we failed what Is going wrong?
Obviously the lack of goals, along with clear cut chances being created is this issue , my concern is will the striker addition change this or is it also the settling in time for all the signings. If it’s just about the striker, I’m worried as it’s a big expectation that everything suddenly becomes rosy. I’m hoping it’s just a binding thing.
In that case we have potentially offset points against waiting for the signings which could cost us.
Sorry rambling on a bit!

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
8/10

Positives:
Nunes seems undoubted quality
Unlike many of our recruits of the last few years Guedes on paper has a good goal record (although he's looked somewhat lost so far)
We've actually recruited a striker who might score goals
It's another transfer window in which we've retained our best player in Neves
Neto is still here (and hopefully get find his best form soon)
Collins seems a good buy and has finally given us the chance to get away from the babysitting Coady formation
We've cleared out some of the players who seemed too comfy with no real fire on matchday to win football games and got money in (Boly, Donk)
MGW fee is very nice for a completely unproven player who had only ever offered ineffective flicks and tricks in a Wolves shirt

Negatives:
The main negative is that we didn't get more deals over the line earlier - we've made a real mess of an extremely favourable opening month of fixtures as a result
We've left ourselves a little light at CB
I think we still needed a pacey striker option to play on the last man, as Sasa is an unknown quantity and Jimenez is looking past it
We've actually turned down money to get rid of Hwang
It's more a neutral, as I think he can still offer something here, but the Traore saga has found no conclusion
Another neutral as I hope Boubacar can add some much needed athleticism to the centre of the field, but at 21, I'm not sure how quickly he can contribute, so I am somewhat disappointed that we haven't upgraded Moutinho with a more experienced athletic player there

Now it's over to Lage to use a very good squad to full effect... but I can't say I am optimistic on that front at all...

Reaction score
Probably one of our best ever transfer windows, happy with every single sale and every single purchase bar hwang. Never in a million years after the last few windows did I think we would have a window like this.

my favourite sale - cutrone

my favourite buy - Collins

a lot of changes and will take time to gel as everyone already knows.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By past standards an excellent window. Only real disappointment the lack of experienced CB cover. Can we sign Denayer? Still not clear and unsure why we didn't clinch him yesterday. Would be re-assured if we got him in. Also we needed another full back to replace Hoever in the squad. Does this imply Bueno is ready? Keeping Neves and Neto is huge. MGW for eventual £35m is good business although in an ideal world we would have kept him as we still don't have a pure attacking midfielder imv. The new Traore signing will be interesting and again ideally I would have kept Dendoncker who is such an adaptable player who always gives 100%. The loss on Cutrone is horriffic but at least he has gone now.

Only criticism is some of the paltry fees we have attracted in some cases. Boly £2mish, Coady, a current England international, £12m potentially and only an option on Everton to buy and no loan fee! Weird. £13m for a mature Belgian international at only 27 seems low too. If they were playing for the big six those fees would be double.

What we need now above all is Neves to sign a new contract. I would offer him 125k a week and put in a sell on clause at £80m so that he has the possibility of a big step up if he continues to perform.

The big question for me is can Sasa make a real difference up front as a target man and allow Neto, Guedes, Podence, Traore to strut their stuff off him. Also a possible dovetailing with Jiminez who could play a more withdrawn role? We desperately need goals and if they don't come we will struggle and Lage will be at risk of losing his job.

On paper we have the best team we have had for a long time. But Lage has to prove he is the man to bring it all together. A tough programme over the next month or so will lead to perhaps three more defeats - Man C., Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham all tough matches and Southampton are in form. We must win at least one of them and draw another otherwise Lage will look very exposed indeed. He should be given until Christmas to review progress and then the Board can consider options. It is his team now and he has a wonderful opportunity to push his reputation and career forward.

As an afterthought I am glad Ronan is in the squad. Underrated and good back up for our four main line midfielders. The new Traore at only 21 has an important role to play so let's hope he adapts fast and proves his worth.

So overall looking good but only if we start getting a few wins on the board and get a surprising result or two over the next six weeks. The reality may be that these new players will take time to bed in and supporters may get more than grumpy if we remain locked to the bottom two or three places in the table by end October. Lage has to prove his worth now.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Window has been 100% better than I was expecting, it's good to see Fosun are still invested in the project and happy to back the manager after operating on peanuts for a few years.

On the downside, without Mendes' involvement we're really struggling to attract players and get them to sign on the dotted line.

Whilst it's great that we've attracted Matheus Nunes and finally signed midfielders, I'm not sure that the bulk of the signings we've made have actually enhanced our squad - we're still light in multiple areas of the pitch and look like we're relying on Moutinho starting every game again. Guedes is a vanity signing and I genuinely feel we've spaffed money up the wall as a favour to Mendes, we were crying out for competition and quality in the striker position. I don't think guedes has shown anything in his career to justify the expenditure on him, I've always thought of him as a money laundering player along the lines of Arthur and Pjanic.

Positives:
Big upgrade at CB (individual quality level)
Finally signed a different profile of midfielder
Fosun committed to the club

Negatives:
Lack of CB cover
Lack of ST options
Lack of CM depth
Question marks over Guedes fee
Recruitment team lack of pull for non-Mendes signings
Timing of signings - starting the season with no striker at all.

7/10 window for me.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I wonder if the transfer kitty chest is now empty ? I doubt we will have much/if anything left come January

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Only criticism is some of the paltry fees we have attracted in some cases. Boly £2mish, Coady, a current England international, £12m potentially and only an option on Everton to buy and no loan fee!
What makes you think there’s no loan fee for Coady?

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Of our central defensive options last season only Kilman had much pace and only Boly (and Kilman)had any height but he rarely got much game time
.We now have 2 CB’s with pace and height but there is a worry we have limited back up options
We have improved the quality of the squad but we are a bit limited defensively in only having 2 experienced CB’s and only 3 full/wing backs .After them we are reliant on youngsters.
This is now Bruno’s squad so we just have to hope he can get a tune out of them and make us the sum of the parts.There is ability in this squad but they now have to go out and prove it on the pitch .

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ultimately you judge a transfer window 2 years down the line. But based on my verdict now I'd give 8/10.

Nunes - excellent
Guedes - good.
Kalajdzic - good if he stays fit.
Collins - good. Could be excellent.
B traore - I don't know anything about him, so could be good.

Outgoings
MGW - excellent business.
Donk - again, good business, I don't think we'll miss him too much.
Boly - pity he went out in the way he did. Soured the reputation of a club legend.
Coady - shame to see him go. But can understand the reasons for it

Fabio loan - i think we let him go too early without proper fit replacements.May have been useful these first few games. Hope he does well and comes back to challenge for a place in the lineup.

A comment on squad make up...nothing is ever perfect but...
There is no lack of talent in defence but we lack experience at CB.
If our plan is to go 4-3-3 we don't have enough midfielders in the squad and we could do with one being a bit more attacking than what we have.

Striking options are okay if everybody stays fit. Otherwise this could be a big struggle. Which could be compounded by the fact there isn't that many goals from the centre of the park.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A window that has left us with probably the strongest squad we have had in recent history.

We have some great options both in terms of personnel and shape.

Would have been great to have this before a ball was kicked instead of being slightly on the back foot, but you can't have everything I suppose!

8/10 for me. Would have been 9, but lost a mark over the timescales.

Over to you Bruno!

Wolves 22-23.jpg

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm amazed we've survived another transfer window with Neves still here. I was convinced he would leave. And now he's playing better than ever. It would be great to see him lift some silverware as captain. That's the dream however unlikely it might be.

bennymacca

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Looks like a fantastic transfer window. Keeping hold of Neves, Moutinho, Neto and Kilman as well as moving on players who need refreshing. Some huge incomings that improve the squad and probably the right call with the outgoings. The quality is on the cusp of what the top 6 teams have.
In the case of Nunes we have a player that we probably wouldn’t have been able to secure two years ago (like our failed attempts for Canceló and Días).
It’s a lot of change in one window. Can’t do that every year and likely whether this was successful will only be evident in the new year. The poor results the past few games take the edge off the jubilation a little.
In paper we have the strongest and most valuable squad I have ever seen for Wolves. I am hopeful of big things if out tactics, man and game management start working as they should.

Back
Top Bottom