Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Transfer window: The verdict

justanotherwolf

Reaction score

Now it's being reported that business is done, here's a summary/verdict...​

Wolves transfers in​

Sasa Kalajdzic — Stuttgart, £15.4million
Matheus Nunes — Sporting Lisbon, £42million
Goncalo Guedes — Valencia, £27.5million
Nathan CollinsBurnley, £20.5million
Boubakar Traore - Metz, loan (€11m to buy)

Wolves transfers out​

Morgan Gibbs-WhiteNottingham Forest, £25-42.5million
Patrick Cutrone — Como 1907, nominal
Trincao - end-of-loan
Conor CoadyEverton, loan
Fabio Silva — Anderlecht, loan
Ryan GilesMiddlesbrough, loan
John Ruddyreleased
Romain Saiss — released
Marcal — released
Ki-Jana Hoever — PSV, loan
Leander Dendoncker — Aston Villa, £13million
Willy Boly - £2m~

Headlines​

1) We've lost a lot of depth for (in theory) 1st team quality upgrades/options.
2) Under Nuno, our centre-backs were generally Coady plus 2 from 3 of Boly, Dendoncker and Saiss. To move all four on in one transfer window is extraordinary.
3) We've finally spent big money on central midfield for the first time since promotion. Neves & Moutinho are still here.

Postives​

If you'd said before the summer that we'd get a quality attacking CM, keep Moutinho and Neves and sign a physical player as cover/alternative, plus get a new striker, plus a top English CB prospect, plus a goal-scoring wide forward, every single Wolves supporter would be ****-a-hoop.

Negatives​

Such massive turnover in one window and so late in the day puts massive pressure on Bruno to galvanise the squad in a very short space of time - if it takes a couple of months to get everyone up to speed a third of the season will have gone - too late!! We've also gone from being overstocked at centre-back to short of cover.

Verdict​

On paper great, in practice concluding business so late has put us miles behind where we should be.

Probably exactly the window we needed to secure the team for a the coming years if we minimise the suffering of the next couple of months / this year - patience needed but hard to give and unlikely to be given!!

Do you agree?​

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
An excellent window for at least two reasons: 1st is obviously the stronger squad, 2nd is that Fosun have backed us strongly again - for the first time since promotion. The excitement with the project is back, or almost... We need results.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's an A for me, would have been an A+ with an experienced centre back as cover. Full back cover isn't a major issue with Jonny capable of playing both sides and Bueno fairly close to being first team ready.

Well done to those involved, definitely contends with the window when we came up. Need to see more from Guedes (hopefully with more help around him), and for Kalajdzic to stay healthy. Nunes signing was a complete shocker, and he's only going to get better the more he plays. Collins has fit in seamlessly, amazing that he's still only 21. Traore might give us something different.

Yet to be convinced that Bruno can get the best out of this squad, but time will tell if he can figure it out.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic window.

Nuno era has officially ended

Loojay

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's an A for me, would have been an A+ with an experienced centre back as cover. Full back cover isn't a major issue with Jonny capable of playing both sides and Bueno fairly close to being first team ready.

Well done to those involved, definitely contends with the window when we came up. Need to see more from Guedes (hopefully with more help around him), and for Kalajdzic to stay healthy. Nunes signing was a complete shocker, and he's only going to get better the more he plays. Collins has fit in seamlessly, amazing that he's still only 21. Traore might give us something different.

Yet to be convinced that Bruno can get the best out of this squad, but time will tell if he can figure it out.
Agreed, A* with Dawson, A without

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can understand every departure, fee for MGW was way too good to turn down. Incomings very exciting. Whole team needs time to gel. Maybe short of cover though? Who will score all the goals, a lot of pressure on Kalajdzic to hit the ground running.

Kept Neves and Neto the two main things and added Nunes!

W

WasStefan

Sa
Sarkic

RAN
Jonny

Semedo

Collins
Kilman
Mosquera
Toti

Neves
Nunes
Moutinho
Boubacar

Guedes
Neto

Podence
Traore
Hwang

Jimenez
Sasa

Missing midfield/ defensive cover imo, and light at full back until Chiq comes back (i still think he will end up there)

Apart from that, good enough until January.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
Under Bruno, Kilman has been given his chance to be the main man at CH. Nuno for some reason had a downer on Kilman. As Cutrone said - Nuno had his favourites.

This is a massive transfer window for the Wolves. Some would say a massive gamble, only time will tell if the gamble has paid off.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd give it a 10/10 from what I expected but 8.5/10 overall.

Keeping Neves was unexpected but I don't think it's brilliant news until he signs a new contract, otherwise we lose him for £25m max next summer which would be a shame, even if I wouldn't begrudge him not extending his deal.

Nunes, on paper, is an incredible signing. Guedes, on paper, looks a very good signing and we have (hopefully) brought in the type of midfielder we lack in Traore. Similarly, Kalajdzic is a very good signing and has the qualities we're lacking. Collins looks a superb signing.

The only negatives are the fact the business was virtually all done too late but that's not necessarily Wolves' fault and we're at least one defender short. That could become a massive issue if we have one injury to Kilman or Collins, so fingers crossed they stay fit until January.

Overall, huge credit to Fosun and whilst it wasn't perfect it was very good and Lage can have no real complaints.

The spotlight is firmly on the manager now. He has to get this team doing more otherwise he goes, because some top-class coaches would love to work with a group like this.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How does it compare with other teams windows? That's what we are in competition with, not our own previous windows.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Much much better than I’d hoped. Think Dawson would have been an excellent signing, so bit deflated on that, but we haven’t lost anyone I cried about and we’ve made some very good signings. Would love to see us add Denayer for a bit of cover/experience if we can? If not then I really hope Kilman and Collins can stay fit.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Major upgrades to the spine of the team, got rid of alot of deadwood.

Still short of an attacking midfielder IMO, but that’s my only complaint.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t think many would have predicted this.

Honestly if at the end of May you had told me Neves would still be here and Coady gone, I have thought you were mad!

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really pleased with it.

Improved the spine of the side, no doubt. I understand the qualms over depth, but none of the players we've let go are worth losing any sleep over. Getting around 50m for MGW and Dendoncker is exceptional business. Also feel the Boubacar Traore signing will be far more significant than some might imagine. Having that different type of CM will be a huge asset.

Plus, we've kept my two favorite players in Neves and Adama.

8/10

Last edited:

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have left ourselves woefully short at CB , surely we must still be working on getting someone else in ?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I’d argue the only reason for keeping a lot of the players we’ve moved on is sentiment. I’d have liked to see what Gibbs-White could do under Bruno’s coaching but I get why we took the big fee. Coady is a modern day Wolves legend but if it’s true that he didn’t want to stay as a bench player then I’m more than happy for him to move.

I don’t think you can question the signings we’ve brought in. Collins is an upgrade on all of our central defenders, Nunes will transform our midfield, Guedes will hopefully fill the Jota shaped hole we’ve had for two years, Traore is a different option and Big Sasa will hopefully bring goals.

On the face of it it’s a bloody brilliant transfer window, and it’s now over to the players and the coach to turn it to reality.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d argue the only reason for keeping a lot of the players we’ve moved on is sentiment. I’d have liked to see what Gibbs-White could do under Bruno’s coaching but I get why we took the big fee. Coady is a modern day Wolves legend but if it’s true that he didn’t want to stay as a bench player then I’m more than happy for him to move.

I don’t think you can question the signings we’ve brought in. Collins is an upgrade on all of our central defenders, Nunes will transform our midfield, Guedes will hopefully fill the Jota shaped hole we’ve had for two years, Traore is a different option and Big Sasa will hopefully bring goals.

On the face of it it’s a bloody brilliant transfer window, and it’s now over to the players and the coach to turn it to reality.
Agree, except I think Kilman pips Collins. But definitely an upgrade. I think they will form a great partnership

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another new centre back of first team quality would have been icing on cake.

On paper it looks an exciting window. Now we just need to hope the exciting performances and points follow suit.

Woolywolf

Reaction score
The thing I’m most disappointed about is the departure of MGW. He didn’t give us a choice and we got good money, but I’m convinced that he would have been perfect in our new formation, and will prove to be a top player.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I'll confess, having kept the faith for a while January and the start of this window broke me. For us to have signed probably 5 genuine first teamers, while shifting out a bunch of (respectfully) squad fillers, is unbelievable business.

Sadly I'm rapidly losing faith in the coach, but I'm back to believing Fosun will do what needs to be done.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is Denayer still unattached? We can still sign him for cover if so, can’t we?

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Amazing window on paper. Have focused on upgrading the spine of the team, addressed long-standing ‘problem areas’, kept hold of Neves and Neto and recouped good money for players coming towards the end of their contracts. A window of hugely positive intent.

Only slight criticisms I have are the timing of the Fabio loan (I’d have personally kept him but fully understand why we felt he needed regular football) and the lack of quality cover in the keeping and defensive positions (I’d be nervous if Sa or Collins/Kilman got injured).

A 9 out of 10 window for me…

…so why do I still feel so worried about this season?…

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not enough experience cover now in the squad (which was bad before).

Any injury to a first team player and we are playing kids , the centre back scenario is madness and a disaster waiting to happen.
Yep its a great transfer window as long as no one gets injured,suspended or loses form or we need to make a tactical change during the game.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we had zero money. I thought neves would leave. Instead we have bought wisely, shifted people either past their best or peripheral. Even gibbs white was a frustrating player for all his wolves career. For me this is a 10/10 window. We now need to convert it into wins

R

reanswolf

On paper a quite superb window but I just wish we had time to gel.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Amazing window on paper. Have focused on upgrading the spine of the team, addressed long-standing ‘problem areas’, kept hold of Neves and Neto and recouped good money for players coming towards the end of their contracts. A window of hugely positive intent.

Only slight criticisms I have are the timing of the Fabio loan (I’d have personally kept him but fully understand why we felt he needed regular football) and the lack of quality cover in the keeping and defensive positions (I’d be nervous if Sa or Collins/Kilman got injured).

A 9 out of 10 window for me…

…so why do I still feel so worried about this season?…
Sarkic is a much better back up than Ruddy, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom