Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Train Travel 25/7/19

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Horrendous .

Have railways that only work between 5 and 20 degrees and during those temps they still turn up late .

Meanwhile on the M6, more night closures and diverting people through ****ing Coventry

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kind of relieved I called it at Euston and turned round and headed home. Gutted to miss out on our first foray into the Europa, but I need to be in work first thing (in London) so a night in Wolverhampton or Birmingham just wasn’t an option.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had to get the tram back, always reliable when the trains are down. Fair play to the long distance fans.

Hixon Wolf

Reaction score
OK, so the trains ran all day in the heat. At 21:00 they stopped. hmmmm.
Load of ****ing boolocks if you ask me. Poor Crusaders fans couldn;t get back to Manchester/Liverpool.

Luckily we managed to get a lift back home.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Of all the days for the trains to have a wobbly! Hope anyone who's staying overnight in Wolves, or worse, Walsall, gets home safe tomorrow. My weather app says it will rain tomorrow but the train tracks should be used to that.

MDCCCLXXVII

Reaction score
I have a relatively short journey from Hereford. After seeing this thread earlier today I checked my train schedule on line and all was normal. No dramas getting up to Wolves (via Shrewsbury). My train back to Shrewsbury was at 9.42pm so left the game early, and consequently arrived at the station before the crowds. The staff were telling people that at best they may get to Shrewsbury/Birmingham by train or bus but had no idea when this may happen, and could give no assurances of being able to continue thereafter. Luckily I managed to get a lift back to Hereford but I really feel for the folk who have been left stranded.

N

Northamptonwolf

Horrendous .

Have railways that only work between 5 and 20 degrees and during those temps they still turn up late .

Meanwhile on the M6, more night closures and diverting people through ****ing Coventry
Thats the last 4 midweek night games now

Its ridiculous

W

wolvesultra

Feel sorry for anyone travelling by train yesterday hope everyone got back in the end.

Get claims/complaints put in for extra expense caused etc.

Noticed a police car with flashing blues head down railway drive around 9.50pm, people kicking off?

Poor mixed messages to tannoy told everyone no trains at all yet when we walked past the station around 10.15-10.30pm they were shouting that there was a train about to leave for Smethwick/Brum.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the train back to London. Was supposed to be back in capital at midnight so not too far behind...

boyceywolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Were there no replacement buses? That is a disgrace. I hope that they have to pay for any hotels, taxis, etc...

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to be clear, did anyn trains go to Manchester or North at all last night after 10pm. I surrendered to Parental Duty and took daughter to Manchester then on home to Nottm with other two. I would be very miffed if the trains did run as opposed to abit miffed.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to be clear, did anyn trains go to Manchester or North at all last night after 10pm. I surrendered to Parental Duty and took daughter to Manchester then on home to Nottm with other two. I would be very miffed if the trains did run as opposed to abit miffed.
I eventually got to New Street at midnight, via the X8 bus which did a nice tour of the West Midlands! A few trains going as far as Cov and that's about it, not sure where they were coming from? I'd parked at Burton and was taxied there courtesy of Network rail. Many people all waiting for cabs going to places like Oxford, Leominster and some up North. Total shambles really and I eventually fell into bed at 3.30am!!!!

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I eventually got to New Street at midnight, via the X8 bus which did a nice tour of the West Midlands! A few trains going as far as Cov and that's about it, not sure where they were coming from? I'd parked at Burton and was taxied there courtesy of Network rail. Many people all waiting for cabs going to places like Oxford, Leominster and some up North. Total shambles really and I eventually fell into bed at 3.30am!!!!
That is awful! Feel justified now!

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I was due to travel down from Newcastle by train yesterday but my son has been ill this week so I sold my tickets and we watched it online. Not happy he's been ill but very happy we didn't travel down.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Virgin have already emailed me saying I’ve been refunded. I hadn’t even contacted them. So to be fair to them, despite their part in preventing me seeing our long awaited return to European football I’ve already got my £55 back. That should pay for my next few trips (I booked it fairly last minute so wasn’t cheap).

W

wolvesultra

So Network Rail rightfully took responsibility at New Street and taxi'd people who were stuck etc but from Wolverhampton it was a case of tough ****?

WholeJotaLove

Reaction score
So Network Rail rightfully took responsibility at New Street and taxi'd people who were stuck etc but from Wolverhampton it was a case of tough ****?

We were told by the staff at Wolverhampton that we shouldn't have travelled unless it was an emergency and to just get a taxi back to Manchester (at our own expense of course).

portugamerifinn

Groupie
Reaction score
Virgin have already emailed me saying I’ve been refunded. I hadn’t even contacted them. So to be fair to them, despite their part in preventing me seeing our long awaited return to European football I’ve already got my £55 back. That should pay for my next few trips (I booked it fairly last minute so wasn’t cheap).

I'm waiting for such an email considering my Virgin Train to Wolverhampton from Birmingham International - and many others - was canceled, not to mention whatever that station nonsense was after the match.

Left the house yesterday with the VT app saying my train was delayed two minutes. Arrived at the station to find it canceled. Some other train rolled through after a couple minutes, but couldn't even get on because it was so jammed with those who'd been waiting for trains that never arrived. Waited 90 minutes for the next train to reach the station heading north and at the last moment it was announced that it would actually stop in Wolverhampton despite not being schedule to do so initially. Squeezed into the train's entry/toilet area, everyone dripping sweat and pressed together...

Fortunately, a lovely family member drove for nearly an hour from the opposite side of Birmingham to pick us up after the match.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were told by the staff at Wolverhampton that we shouldn't have travelled unless it was an emergency and to just get a taxi back to Manchester (at our own expense of course).
It was a joke at Wolvo stn. Just loads of police and fans wondering what to do. At least at New Street they had the Info Office open for travellers to go to and arrange free taxis. This should have been the case at Wolvo but it would have been chaotic with the numbers involved. Just a note to say that providing you have a rail ticket the company MUST provide you a taxi to get you to your destination. There were people at New Street who had turned up for a train earlier but as they had no ticket they were stranded until the first trains at 5-6 am. One girl had lost the return portion of her ticket and they would not help her.

W

wolvesultra

It was a joke at Wolvo stn. Just loads of police and fans wondering what to do. At least at New Street they had the Info Office open for travellers to go to and arrange free taxis. This should have been the case at Wolvo but it would have been chaotic with the numbers involved. Just a note to say that providing you have a rail ticket the company MUST provide you a taxi to get you to your destination. There were people at New Street who had turned up for a train earlier but as they had no ticket they were stranded until the first trains at 5-6 am. One girl had lost the return portion of her ticket and they would not help her.
The cynic in me suggests that's the reason they were treating Wolverhampton station differently.

Shocking really, also shows the attitude some of these people have for football fans still.

Commuters, revellers etc in Birmingham City Centre...oh we will have to get them taxis.

Football supporters in Wolverhampton......just tell them no trains but get plenty of police down there.

WholeJotaLove

Reaction score

I wasn't aware that was the case, so thanks for the heads up.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was at Euston at 1440 yesterday. Absolute madhouse as failed train at Camden Junction just outside station. At 1450 got on the delayed 1443 Crewe service planning to travel to Stafford then cut back to Wolvo. Aircon failed in most carriages. Sat for approx. 25 mins in the sweatbox to end all sweatboxes to then hear the Guard announce that he would not take the train out until all carriages with failed aircon were evacuated for health and safety reasons - apparently the temperature inside those carriages had been measured at over 50C! Was then told to go to Marylebone which I did and successfully got the 1615 service (with working aircon!) which was scheduled to arrive at 1757 but ran about 25 mins late - it ws crowded but not excessively so. A walk to New Street followed by catching the on time service to Shrewsbury leaving at 1849 meant an arrival into Wolvo at 1910 and no time for a beer....

At the match it was announced that there no trains running from Wolvo. As I had a ticket booked for the 2245 to Euston I went to straight to the station to ask what assistance they were going to provide for me to get home (as per their obligations under the National Rail Conditions of Travel https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/National Rail Conditions of Travel.pdf). Wolverhampton station, in customer services terms, has deteriorated massively since West Midlands Trains took over responsibility from Virgin. There were absolutely no proper rail staff present, only security staff who knew nothing, telling people that all they would get was a ticket refund and no assistance, backed up by lots of British Transport Police. Given that I am on a crutch and also post-stroke medication which was in London I was hardly about to accept that they could just walk away from their obligations (I have been taxied from New Street to Euston in the past). The security staff insisted that there be no further trains, something undermined at about 2210 by them saying that a train, heading to Birmingham only, had arrived. Figuring that proper rail staff would offer more assistance (it wouldn't be hard!) I headed for Birmingham. There weren't many trains running but there were some. In particular the 2210 service to Euston was displayed as "delayed" and the 2310 service (which is the 2245 from Wolvo) as "ontime". After about 30 minutes it was announced that the previously cancelled 2110 service had been reinstated. Strangely enough it arrived at 2310, already occupied by some people in Wolves shirts, and ran to the 2310 timings....

It was grim at time but I didn't miss the match. The important thing I learnt is that listening to the security staff at Wolvo is utterly useless (a complaint is already on its way to West Midlands Trains - just how many people were robbed of their legitimate rights - see 28.2 and 28.3 - who knows), getting access to real rail staff means that you are more likely to get your rights but knowing what they are is essential.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Were there no replacement buses? That is a disgrace. I hope that they have to pay for any hotels, taxis, etc...
Read my post with NRCOT. West Midlands Trains and their rentagoons should be ashamed!

Think that you were there at the same time that I was. There was a guy trying to get to Chester too. The joke is that having got a train to Birmingham there were Chester and Manchester trains on the board there showing running but delayed and assistance being provided to those who couldn't get a train. If you paid for a taxi I really hope that you got a receipt - claim it back from West Midlands Trains who now (unfortunately as they are about as much use in customer services terms as a thirdhand condom) run Wolvo station.

If people have kept receipts West Midlands Trains should pay. If they don't then MCOL is the next step....

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The cynic in me suggests that's the reason they were treating Wolverhampton station differently.

Shocking really, also shows the attitude some of these people have for football fans still.

Commuters, revellers etc in Birmingham City Centre...oh we will have to get them taxis.

Football supporters in Wolverhampton......just tell them no trains but get plenty of police down there.
Yup and that's why suing them if they don't cough up is the way every time!
MCOL - Money Claim Online - Welcome

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was at Euston at 1440 yesterday. Absolute madhouse as failed train at Camden Junction just outside station. At 1450 got on the delayed 1443 Crewe service planning to travel to Stafford then cut back to Wolvo. Aircon failed in most carriages. Sat for approx. 25 mins in the sweatbox to end all sweatboxes to then hear the Guard announce that he would not take the train out
until all carriages with failed aircon were evacuated for health and safety reasons - apparently the temperature inside those carriages had been measured at over 50C! Was then told to go to Marylebone which I did and successfully got the 1615 service (with working aircon!) which was scheduled to arrive at 1757 but ran about 25 mins late - it ws crowded but not excessively so. A walk to New Street followed by catching the on time service to Shrewsbury leaving at 1849 meant an arrival into Wolvo at 1910 and no time for a beer....

At the match it was announced that there no trains running from Wolvo. As I had a ticket booked for the 2245 to Euston I went to straight to the station to ask what assistance they were going to provide for me to get home (as per their obligations under the National Rail Conditions of Travel https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/National Rail Conditions of Travel.pdf). Wolverhampton station, in customer services terms, has deteriorated massively since West Midlands Trains took over responsibility from Virgin. There were absolutely no proper rail staff present, only security staff who knew nothing, telling people that all they would get was a ticket refund and no assistance, backed up by lots of British Transport Police.

I was on that same train from Euston. And tried to get back similarly after. Nightmare.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all the potential night time games ahead and the perennial rail problems having been at both Wolvo and New Street last night I am worried that Wolvo station just does not have the space, the accommodation, the staff, and the ability/information to handle 100s of stranded travellers, whereas New Street does. I certainly would not rule out this kind of thing happening again (snow, wind, leaves!) and should it, I for one will make a dash to New Street!

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
With all the potential night time games ahead and the perennial rail problems having been at both Wolvo and New Street last night I am worried that Wolvo station just does not have the space, the accommodation, the staff, and the ability/information to handle 100s of stranded travellers, whereas New Street does. I certainly would not rule out this kind of thing happening again (snow, wind, leaves!) and should it, I for one will make a dash to New Street!
It might be worth starting some sort of communication tool (WhatsApp or something) for anyone who catches the train and wants to join. At least something could be organised when things go pear shaped and people could possibly share a taxi / Uber to New Street or Stafford or wherever they need to get to. Would help keep costs down.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on. The fact that there are staff and they appear competent is a good start.

SE_Wolves

Reaction score
Took me 7 hours to get from Crawley to Wolverhampton yesterday, 6 today. Usually only takes 3 hours. Thank god I had a hotel room booked last night. Emailed virgin about delay repay but haven’t heard anything back.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It might be worth starting some sort of communication tool (WhatsApp or something) for anyone who catches the train and wants to join. At least something could be organised when things go pear shaped and people could possibly share a taxi / Uber to New Street or Stafford or wherever they need to get to. Would help keep costs down.
I don't want to be accused of over-reaction but last night was beyond horrendous for many/most of us long-distance travellers and some kind of help organisation put in place, certainly before the winter night matches would be a good idea imo. How it would work I have no idea but the ability to say share hotel rooms or stay the night with local fans ( I think Jade offered!) if you are stuck without transport would be fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom