Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

TOTI

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely some potential in there. Really bad at tracking backwards though. Especially when he tries to play it.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant in the air. Won every ball over the top. His distribution is poor but hopefully can be worked on. Love his fight and desire. Need players like him for the mess were in
Probably our best player until he made the changes to bring on our strongest players

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant in the air. Won every ball over the top. His distribution is poor but hopefully can be worked on. Love his fight and desire. Need players like him for the mess were in
People saying his distribution is poor is just a myth. Yeah he looks a bit awkward and has given the ball away in the past ( who hasn’t ) but I don’t think he misplaced a pass yesterday ( could be wrong) where as mr futsal ballooned one or two well wide of the mark

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think I’d put him in front of Kilman now.

He’s 100% committed and has a bit of steel about him. If only he was slightly more assured with the ball.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like him. Got a bit about him, doesn't hide, aggressive.
The doesn’t hide and aggressive bit is key for me. Much like Collins in that respect. They’ll get things wrong at times because of playing like that but I’d take that over Kilman at present because he makes less mistakes because he is passive and does hide. As a centre back you need to try and dominate opposition forwards, you can’t keep standing off them for 90 minutes

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The doesn’t hide and aggressive bit is key for me. Much like Collins in that respect. They’ll get things wrong at times because of playing like that but I’d take that over Kilman at present because he makes less mistakes because he is passive and does hide. As a centre back you need to try and dominate opposition forwards, you can’t keep standing off them for 90 minutes

One of the key things about moving to a back 4 was having central defenders who were strong at winning their duels.

It's the reason we signed Collins, it's part of the reason Coady, Boly and Saiss left the club.

As you say, the aggression thing is key. We've had a few managers who have said that Kilman needs to be more aggressive and be more on the front foot in his defending. He started the season quite well in that respect, but has reverted to being far more passive recently.

I don't think it comes naturally to Kilman, whereas Collins and Toti are naturally aggressive. Kilman is undoubtedly a much better footballer than both of them, he just needs to become a little nasty!!

If you could merge all their strengths together, you'd have the perfect centre back!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the key things about moving to a back 4 was having central defenders who were strong at winning their duels.

It's the reason we signed Collins, it's part of the reason Coady, Boly and Saiss left the club.

As you say, the aggression thing is key. We've had a few managers who have said that Kilman needs to be more aggressive and be more on the front foot in his defending. He started the season quite well in that respect, but has reverted to being far more passive recently.

I don't think it comes naturally to Kilman, whereas Collins and Toti are naturally aggressive. Kilman is undoubtedly a much better footballer than both of them, he just needs to become a little nasty!!

If you could merge all their strengths together, you'd have the perfect centre back!
There’s a place in the game for passive defenders, not all defenders are blood and guts. The issue Kilman has (for me) is that passive ones tend to counter balance it by being vocal and will marshal thoughs round them but he seems very quiet on the pitch. I’d hate to be his defensive partner in that respect as like Collins has, you end up having to do some of his dirty work for him. I genuinely think his next 12 months are pivotal in his career (certainly his wolves career) as he needs to find that bit of aggression or he’ll be replaced long term.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is improving. He's quick in foot and mind

I hope that JL's faith in him is improving. Unfortunately it does seem as though Felipe is on his way, so be interesting to know what plans Wolves have for Toti.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is improving. He's quick in foot and mind

I hope that JL's faith in him is improving. Unfortunately it does seem as though Felipe is on his way, so be interesting to know what plans Wolves have for Toti.

Felipe not coming and we arent in for him according to SSN.

T

TheConcourse

I think his unorthodox style makes him look like a liability, but other than the header at Anfield he hasn’t put a foot wrong.

Kilman is probably 3rd choice now based on form, which is absolutely mental.

Kilman feels like the sort of guy who is late to training every day because he stops to rescue a puppy. Seems like a really nice lad, but he’s got to do so much more physically in certain moment.

Brennan Johnson knocked him off the ball last night FFS. The guy is an absolute unit.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s a place in the game for passive defenders, not all defenders are blood and guts. The issue Kilman has (for me) is that passive ones tend to counter balance it by being vocal and will marshal thoughs round them but he seems very quiet on the pitch. I’d hate to be his defensive partner in that respect as like Collins has, you end up having to do some of his dirty work for him. I genuinely think his next 12 months are pivotal in his career (certainly his wolves career) as he needs to find that bit of aggression or he’ll be replaced long term.

Yeah, absolutely. It's making up for your weaknesses by strengthening other areas.

Coady masks a lot of weaknesses by being ultra vocal!!

Kilman seems passive and meek in every aspect and like you say, it will lead to him being overlooked if he's not careful.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking better game on game for me.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, absolutely. It's making up for your weaknesses by strengthening other areas.

Coady masks a lot of weaknesses by being ultra vocal!!

Kilman seems passive and meek in every aspect and like you say, it will lead to him being overlooked if he's not careful.
I was going to use Coady as an example to be honest. At any level of the game certain players enhance their role by being vocal, leading and organising and unfortunately I don’t see that in Max.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was going to use Coady as an example to be honest. At any level of the game certain players enhance their role by being vocal, leading and organising and unfortunately I don’t see that in Max.

He's effectively talked his way into the England setup! :tearsofjoy:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's effectively talked his way into the England setup! :tearsofjoy:
Yep one thing that can never be taken away from Coady is he has 100% made the best of his ability, not many pro’s can say that. If someone had told me 3 months after he signed he’d be in a World Cup squad years later I’d have questioned what they had been smoking

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Toti scares me when the ball is anywhere near his feet as he gives an excellent impression of Bambi on ice. However, defensively he is very good, he’s quick and seems to read the game well to get into positions to make last ditch tackles. Why Lage didn’t play him vs West Ham and put Neves at Centre Half I will never understand (other than confirming Lage was a joint reincarnation of Solbakken and Saunders).

When Kilman is confident and in form he is a Rolls Royce of player, quick, confident bringing the ball out and a very good defender. But as others have said he’s not very aggressive and doesn’t use his size well. He should be a lot more dominant in both boxes at set pieces. Toti gives the impression he would run through a brick wall to get to a header and bodies will bounce off him whereas Kilman bounces off the bodies.

Still think we need an upgrade on both.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think I’d put him in front of Kilman now.

He’s 100% committed and has a bit of steel about him. If only he was slightly more assured with the ball.
I'm leaning the same way, but it's more to do with how far Kilman's performances have dropped than Toti being good and forcing his way in. I think Toti is okay, but no more than that

Snarlingwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I really like Toti, always gives 100% commitment and effort to the cause.

I’d certainly want him on my side in a battle, as that’s what every match will be from now until the end of the season.

We can’t be doing with carrying any “shrinking violets”!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yeah, agree. I think Felipe is that player.

I wouldn't mind 4 centre backs of Felipe, Collins, Kilman and Toti.

Felipe and Collins would be my first choice from that lot.

Felipe has played right 3 CBs, middle of 3CBs, and left and right of 2 CBs for Athletico, so doesn't really matter which side he's on.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Really warming to Toti. He's a bit scary at times, and he needs someone to play an easy oass to, but I love his positivity, if he sees danger he goes and deals with it. Proper old school defender for me, would rather get hurt than concede a goal.

molineuxmen

Groupie
Reaction score
Agree about his poor distribution being a myth. I flinch every time he’s on the ball but as awkward as he looks he does usually find a Wolves player and plays through the lines too. I like him.
I agree. Thought his distribution was first class last night. Most passes I remember were forward passes that reached the desired target and more importantly were in front of the player.

The amount of misplaced passes we make is unbelievable. And then when we do make a pass a lot of times the player has to break stride to go backwards to receive the pass.

T

TheConcourse

Stupid suggestion of the day: is Kilman actually better suited to DM?

Realise this is a thread on Toti.. :tearsofjoy:

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Toti scares me when the ball is anywhere near his feet as he gives an excellent impression of Bambi on ice. However, defensively he is very good, he’s quick and seems to read the game well to get into positions to make last ditch tackles. Why Lage didn’t play him vs West Ham and put Neves at Centre Half I will never understand (other than confirming Lage was a joint reincarnation of Solbakken and Saunders).

When Kilman is confident and in form he is a Rolls Royce of player, quick, confident bringing the ball out and a very good defender. But as others have said he’s not very aggressive and doesn’t use his size well. He should be a lot more dominant in both boxes at set pieces. Toti gives the impression he would run through a brick wall to get to a header and bodies will bounce off him whereas Kilman bounces off the bodies.

Who? Yesterday's chip paper that needs firmly buried in landfill.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really warming to Toti. He's a bit scary at times, and he needs someone to play an easy oass to, but I love his positivity, if he sees danger he goes and deals with it. Proper old school defender for me, would rather get hurt than concede a goal.
I felt that way any time Big George Elokobi received the ball :eek:. The funny thing was if George had time to think with the ball at his feet were normally the times he made horrendous passes.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I felt that way any time Big George Elokobi received the ball :eek:. The funny thing was if George had time to think with the ball at his feet were normally the times he made horrendous passes.
Anytime George had to think it invariably went wrong. I remember his sending off vs Doncaster in the cup, everyone in the ground could see it coming. It wasn’t a malicious challenge just that being hit by George from behind going for a header after he’s had a 10 yard run up was never going to end well, poor bloke nearly ended up in Nottinghamshire.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is an interesting one with Kilman v Toti to partner Collins. On the one hand Toti does have me looking away at times but in the Liverpool game he settled down really well against very good players. Kilman on the other hand seems to have lost his form and confidence. Not sure out of the two who I would play against West Ham. We do need a new centre back in soon though but I'm not sure on Dawson. He hasnt been that good for West Ham this season.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Toti deserves to start with Collins against West Ham.

The talk of his aggression on here is key but also his pace can play a huge part in how we defend. He is also a pretty decent 1 on 1 defender which is vital if you want your full backs to get forward and join attacks.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd actually be tempted to start Toti for the West Ham game along side Collins... We all know what West Ham are about strong in the air, set pieces etc feel Toti would be more suited for this type of game compared to Kilman who to me looks very nervous atm maybe a confidence thing...

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Toti deserves to start with Collins against West Ham.

The talk of his aggression on here is key but also his pace can play a huge part in how we defend. He is also a pretty decent 1 on 1 defender which is vital if you want your full backs to get forward and join attacks.
Good point re his pace, it’s something he has other the two

Reactions: Ned

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anytime George had to think it invariably went wrong. I remember his sending off vs Doncaster in the cup, everyone in the ground could see it coming. It wasn’t a malicious challenge just that being hit by George from behind going for a header after he’s had a 10 yard run up was never going to end well, poor bloke nearly ended up in Nottinghamshire.
Made me chuckle

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good point re his pace, it’s something he has other the two
It’s absolutely vital for us at the moment. Ok we don’t have the conditioning that JLo would want us to have to play his style but having a pacey centre back can paper over a few cracks for now.

Back
Top Bottom