Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tommy Docherty RIP

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like or (more likely) loath him, a proper football character.

Wish we still had more like him in the game tbh. Just not managing Wolves.

RIP

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Associated with very dark days for us of course, but a massive personality of his era. Sympathies to his family and all those who have lost loved ones this year.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His time at Wolves was memorable, but mainly for the wrong reasons. Went from the 24th November to 8th April without a win as we sank through Division 2 at a rate of knots. Obviously he was on a hiding to nothing given the state of the club at the time so is best remembered for his record in the 60's and 70's at Chelsea and Man Utd.
RIP

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Not my favourite Wolves manager but always sad to see an old name pass on. RIP
Some of his quotes when managing Wolves were very funny, but didn't seem funny at all to most Wolves fans. It seemed disrespectful at the time.

Still, seemed well liked throughout his career and had his moments in football. RIP.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember seeing the Doc at a sporting dinner at the Park Hall Hotel.

He recalled when he was manager of QPR in the old second division. When he was appointed chairman Jim Gregory told him ‘I want you to get us out this division’. Tommy said ‘I did. We were relegated to the Third Division’.

Not the most popular of managers when he was with us. Appointed by Derek Dougan who disliked the Doc but felt he could do a job for us. How wrong can you be.

RIP Doc.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember that programme 'Moment of Truth' where he tells Steve Blackwell/Derek Ryan ... 'You get paid weekly here, very weakly'.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rip but I never really liked the guy. A chancer but a character.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember pre Wimbledon away ( I think) , load of us in pub in Soho , when spotted Doc and a director in the bar. Went over and wished well , and as they had obviously had a few , they asked us to keep stum and even bought us a round in return for silence

JimB

Groupie
Reaction score
He was on a hiding to nothing when he joined, we were a sinking ship and he had a bucket with holes in it. Can’t blame him for our plight. Anyone who followed Wolves at that time can truly consider themselves’ supported through thick and thin’.
RIP The Doc.

Egga

Groupie
Reaction score
Just read that he has passed away aged 92. RIP

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was a character alright. Good manager as well. The team he had at United with Coppell and Hill on the wings was exciting. Bit of a desperate throw of the dice to bring him to Wolves, but we were in such a mess at the time, I'm not sure anyone could have helped us. Synonymous of that era when you had personalities like Malcolm Allison and Brian Clough around. All larger than life characters and great fun to have around at the time.
RIP Doc

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
He was on a hiding to nothing when he joined, we were a sinking ship and he had a bucket with holes in it. Can’t blame him for our plight. Anyone who followed Wolves at that time can truly consider themselves’ supported through thick and thin’.
RIP The Doc.
The problem is we ended up with most of our better players out on loan .We had a reasonable front 2 in Tommy Langley and Jim Melrose .Then it went belly up when Langley was sent out on loan and Melrose was recalled by City because we couldn’t afford the fee (£25K? £40K£)
I remember playing Wimbledon in the New Year and we were 3-1 up ,Winterburn was LB for them and it ended up 3-3.
As things got worse I don’t think we won another game before we were Relegated.It was so depressing losing week after week and I know it ultimately would get even worse ,it didn’t seem so at the time .It was horrible,

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
De mortuis and all that but I find it very hard to look back on his time with any fondness.
That's about as much as I'm willing to say on the matter whilst I remain sober.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I got a book of various football quotes for xmas, here are a few from
Doc during his time at Wolves

We don't use a stopwatch for our golden goal competition we use a calendar.

I just opened the trophy cabinet. Two Japanese solders came out.

plus a few others

After the match an official asked for two players to take a dope test. I offered the ref.

Football wasn't meant to be run by linesman and air traffic control.

I've always said there is a place for the press, but they haven't dug it yet.

I was guest speaker as Sunderland's end of season dinner. That was in October.

People ask me what makes a great manager and I say it's good players. Crap players get you the sack , it's as simple as that.

RIP Tommy

JimB

Groupie
Reaction score
The problem is we ended up with most of our better players out on loan .We had a reasonable front 2 in Tommy Langley and Jim Melrose .Then it went belly up when Langley was sent out on loan and Melrose was recalled by City because we couldn’t afford the fee (£25K? £40K£)
I remember playing Wimbledon in the New Year and we were 3-1 up ,Winterburn was LB for them and it ended up 3-3.
As things got worse I don’t think we won another game before we were Relegated.It was so depressing losing week after week and I know it ultimately would get even worse ,it didn’t seem so at the time .It was horrible,
Melrose was scoring for fun, I remember we couldn’t afford him and he wanted to stay. Didn’t he go to Charlton and scored loads?

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wrong man at the wrong time for Wolves, but not sure anyone else would have fared any better. The club was already in a terrible state, and The Doc could do nothing to arrest the slide.

R.I.P to one of the characters of the game.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember being at the Brighton game, with our youngest daughter, when we lost and confirmed our relegation to Div 3.
There were only a few hundred of us in the corner of their old ground. We were all very upbeat and singing away, despite our impending demise .
Shouting across to Tommy, sitting in the away dug out: "Tommy, Tommy give us a wave etc etc"
To which of course he duly obliged.
Fond memories, despite our perilous state at that time .
RIP Tommy.

Hazza

Reaction score
I remember the away game at Brighton, Tim Flowers saved Frank Worthington penalty and it broke his wrist, think it was re taken anyway. We lost 5-1 to blooming Brighton (I lived in Sussex at time) but The Doc came over at end ... I was only 16/17 at time so all a bit vague

Hazza

Reaction score
Remember being at the Brighton game, with our youngest daughter, when we lost and confirmed our relegation to Div 3.
There were only a few hundred of us in the corner of their old ground. We were all very upbeat and singing away, despite our impending demise .
Shouting across to Tommy, sitting in the away dug out: "Tommy, Tommy give us a wave etc etc"
To which of course he duly obliged.
Fond memories, despite our perilous state at that time .
RIP Tommy.
Spooky how we posted similar time

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst the club was in a terrible state and he faced an uphill task he was always making jokes at the clubs expense which I never agreed with and so I didn’t have much time for him

But he was certainly a character and obviously had some talent as a manager as demonstrated at Man Utd.

RIP, with condolences to his friends & family

Reactions: Ian

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On arrival at Molineux...

“I opened the trophy cabinet and three Japanese prisoners of war fell out !!”

You gorra laugh ..( though not at the time!)

Hadn't heard that one before :D

RIP Tommy, he was a real character and the king of quips

He also signed Ricki Herbert for Wolves which thrilled me as a kid

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

RIP Doc
I remember as a kid going to watch wolves train when he was manager. He was very friendly and let me and my dad into changing rooms to get autographs.
On the way to the training ground we stopped to ask a guy who was running the way to training ground. Turns out It was Sammy Troughton. I can’t imagine many players run to training these days.

Just read up on Doc on Wikipedia and found out he managed Porto.

Will always be remembered for the song “Tommy Docherty. He’s up Mary Brown” to the tune of “knees up mother Brown”.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lawndog

Reaction score
another quote of his (apparently).....

"this is the MONTH of the goal!".......

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the away game at Brighton, Tim Flowers saved Frank Worthington penalty and it broke his wrist, think it was re taken anyway. We lost 5-1 to blooming Brighton (I lived in Sussex at time) but The Doc came over at end ... I was only 16/17 at time so all a bit vague
Yes that's the one.
As you rightly say, spooky that we posted at the same time, about the same match that we attended, without us knowing that the other was there.
The Wolves Family moves in mysterious ways, its wonders to perform!
All the best for 2021 Hazza.

Hazza

Reaction score
Yes that's the one.
As you rightly say, spooky that we posted at the same time, about the same match that we attended, without us knowing that the other was there.
I remember a conga on the terrace that day

Hazza

Reaction score
Yes that's the one.
Looking back ..... good times

Back
Top Bottom