Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Today’s games - 2021-22

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My crazy idea is that we should have spent the money on someone who is mid table and above level *now*. We were dependent on Silva as the backup to Raul. Yes we have no idea how he will turn out, so should have something in place to score us some goals in the meantime, while we wait and see.
Raul and Hwang?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

7 years ago. Far more recently, about the time we bought Fabio, Brentford bought Toney to replace Watkins to Villa. Presumably his medical was fine now.
If you are pretending you were calling for a League 1 striker to come in as Raul's back up, I'm going to call *******s on that

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you are pretending you were calling for a League 1 striker to come in as Raul's back up, I'm going to call *******s on that

Course not. Getting the players in to do the job is the scouts job. Doesn't matter what league they are from if they do the business. Mind you, plenty here were asking for a backup to Raul for a long time before his actual injury. And anybody who says there wasn't, I'll call gruffnuts on that, too. :)

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to Steve Bull's Knee Brentford are going down. No promoted team who have the number of points they have after this number of games have EVER gone down. 3-3 v Liverpool? They'll finish comfortably above us, Steve.

Agree with this Big Saft.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope you're dog gets better, pets are wonderful things.

We should just ask Lille how much they want for Botman, Sanches & David
Thank you. I don't have children yet so she's my life. She watches Wolves games by my side. I might buy her a kit. :tearsofjoy: I named her Arya from Game of Thrones, so I'm sure she'll beat this disease. Luckily the liver is an amazing organ than can regenerate if I caught the issue quickly enough. :)

Honestly, I get what people were saying when I said we should buy David. They thought we were going to challenge for Champions League and maybe David isn't the guy to do that. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case. I hope we get some help, whoever it is, in January.

Botman is fantastic.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota has really kicked-on at Liverpool. Is it because he has matured, or playing with better players of was hamstrung by Nuno's tactics at Wolves? Probably a bit of all three, but every time I see him now, he looks real class.

I always thought he looked class!
His detractors always said/ say he wasn't consistent enough .... have they ever watched the rest of the Wolves team? The only thing consistent about Wolves is their inconsistency.
I thought Jota was our best player and a huge loss, nothing ive seen since he left has changed that opinion.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And what would the reaction have been had we bought him from Peterborough at that time? Look at the posts on our links with Moore and multiply that a few fold! It’s easy to say we should have bought him now he’s doing it in the Prem, and the reality is his value has probably grown a good bit in just the first few games of this season.

Theres a good argument for saying we need to tweak our transfer targets.
Maybe in future we can take a chance on lower league strikers/ players at £5-£10m than putting all our eggs in the " foreign is best category" at £35m.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe in future we can take a chance on lower league strikers/ players at £5-£10m than putting all our eggs in the " foreign is best category" at £35m.
I think we saw with Brentford against us, and against Liverpool today, the potential benefit of having a muscular striker who knows where the net is and is hard to stop. Hwang has a little of that about him, and can perhaps fill that niche, but we shouldn’t overlook lower league players either.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I dont think you would get a good championship striker for less than 30 million, and if you bought one from lower down they would be to develop.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I always thought he looked class!
His detractors always said/ say he wasn't consistent enough .... have they ever watched the rest of the Wolves team? The only thing consistent about Wolves is their inconsistency.
I thought Jota was our best player and a huge loss, nothing ive seen since he left has changed that opinion.
You are right about Jota but I think Neto has the potential to be better. We are really missing his contribution at the moment.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think you would get a good championship striker for less than 30 million, and if you bought one from lower down they would be to develop.

Yes sorry my point wasnt very clear....
I meant speculating on young " unproven" talent from lower leagues, probably still paying a premium but a less expensive gamble than paying over the odds for a foreign " generational " talent.
Buy 3 or 4 talented younger strikers from the lower leagues for the same price as buying 1 Fabio Silva who obviously needed to be developed aswell.
Even if only one of the 4 turned into a first team star you're still in front.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think we saw with Brentford against us, and against Liverpool today, the potential benefit of having a muscular striker who knows where the net is and is hard to stop. Hwang has a little of that about him, and can perhaps fill that niche, but we shouldn’t overlook lower league players either
Pace and power are potent weapons against even the very best defences. Totally agree our recruitment has been way too one dimensional and we’ve overlooked bringing in players from other Premier clubs and the lower leagues. Other than Neto and Jony, I struggle to think of a player we’ve bought in who’s established themselves in the first team since the first transfer window after we were promoted. This is the reason we’ve gone backwards over the last 18 months.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Benhrama another that was "nowhere near good enough for us". Playing really well for West Ham now. A creative, attacking central midfielder, who'd a thought it? Well, Moyes obviously did. I think there are always the "no brainer", "standout " players from the Championship. He was one, as was Toney, Watkins and Maddison before that. Possibly Gyokeres at Coventry after this season?

(yes, I know we missed the boat on Toney, but if Brentford hadn't got promoted, some other Premier club would have splashed out on him and he'd be playing for them now(Palace/Brighton/Leeds/Watford/Whoever) and bullying defences. Don't know who exactly , but I do know it would not have been us).

"But what of the players who excel in the Championship and flop in the Premier?". Can happen. Don't pay £35M for them if not sure - and it's not as if many players don't excel at youth level and flop at the top, either.
My Coventry supporting mate seems to think Callum O'Hare is the real deal and would be perfect for a club like wolves. I havent seem him play yet

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would you need to see that? I prefer the 38 game table over the 5 game table for a gauge of a clubs standing though. Pretty confident in saying no club has been relegated after five games of a season.

Because despite being the worst team In the league for a year we can plead for staying up based on our 7th placed finishes

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Coventry supporting mate seems to think Callum O'Hare is the real deal and would be perfect for a club like wolves. I havent seem him play yet

O'Hare played against us in the friendly. Now you mention the name, remember thinking he looked good, can't remember exactly what he did :)

sswolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Yes sorry my point wasnt very clear....
I meant speculating on young " unproven" talent from lower leagues, probably still paying a premium but a less expensive gamble than paying over the odds for a foreign " generational " talent.
Buy 3 or 4 talented younger strikers from the lower leagues for the same price as buying 1 Fabio Silva who obviously needed to be developed aswell.
Even if only one of the 4 turned into a first team star you're still in front.
Spending £35m on a unproven foreign player is no different paying £35m on unproven championship player both are a gamble. But at the moment wolves gamble on silva isn’t paying off

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
7 years ago. Far more recently, about the time we bought Fabio, Brentford bought Toney to replace Watkins to Villa. Presumably his medical was fine now.
Not sure that there was ever a genuine medical issue. Wolves claimed he failed the medical & called the deal off. I don't think the actual problem was made public at the time, but Toney claims they told him he had scoliosis, a condition he denies ever suffering from-he thinks it was just an excuse. Certainly, Newcastle in the Premiership took a chance on him immediately afterwards, although they just loaned him out over the next few seasons (six times!) until he eventually left.

He was probably just a late developer. Leicester City had let him go aged 16. And although Chris Wilder (who did a good job at the Cobblers), his manager at Northampton, praised his potential, he doesn't seemed to have ever come in for him when he moved on to manage other clubs. Barry Fry at Peterborough touted him to West Ham, Chelsea & Celtic before Brentford came in with an actual bid.

I don't think scoliosis is just something that comes & goes, & Toney feels it was just an excuse that Wolves used to drop the £500K deal (perhaps Moxey got financial cold feet-big fee for a lower league 18 year old), but it left him in a humiliating position with his career called into question. So I doubt he'd ever consider a future move to Wolves.

Last edited:

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mandatory Man Utd pen. Probably not incorrect decision but wouldn't been given in the other end..
Calamitous penalty kick though..
Deserved Villa win. Pains me how they've overtaken us, despite us having a solid lead on them after getting promoted.
Shows the price of standing still and having no ambition or good recruitment strategy
But well done to Villa. Always nice to see Utd lose, even to them.
Retired referee Chris Foy writes in the Mail on Sunday that he is comfortable with the decision. That's fine then. Why on earth do they employ these retired refs. They rarely disagree with a decision.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terrific seeing manchester lose at home.
Well done Villa!

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
I still remember certain posters on here saying Villa's signings were no good . They seem a little quiet over the past few weeks .

Also no excuses today we need a performance . Yes VAR can be **** etc but the reason why we are near the bottom of the league is because we haven't taken our chances or poor defensive errors at times . Bruno hopefully picks a few from in the week against spurs . As if we line up with a similar lineup against Southampton that we did against Brentford then we won't get anything more than a point.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spending £35m on a unproven foreign player is no different paying £35m on unproven championship player both are a gamble. But at the moment wolves gamble on silva isn’t paying off
In my humble opinion I don't think it ever will, I just don't see any real talent there, I know he is young but appears to have very little skill, has very little pace and very little positional sense. Just a complete waste of money I think and has proved a complete waste so far.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my humble opinion I don't think it ever will, I just don't see any real talent there, I know he is young but appears to have very little skill, has very little pace and very little positional sense. Just a complete waste of money I think and has proved a complete waste so far.
Especially when we consider Greening is the same age pretty much.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to Steve Bull's Knee Brentford are going down. No promoted team who have the number of points they have after this number of games have EVER gone down. 3-3 v Liverpool? They'll finish comfortably above us, Steve.
He’s got no idea what he’s talking about. He’s spouted rubbish about Brentford and has dug himself a hole as he’s never going to change his view.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What about spending £20M on a player, *proven* at Championship level? That seems very different to me. And more resembles what many other Premier league clubs do and it appears we will never do.

You pay a premium for local, British players, where we got Fabio at a discount. Apparently.

Back
Top Bottom