Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Time to Reflect and Plan

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Whatever we think about tonight’s game it has been a season to remember. We all have our personal highs and the moments we feel cheated but at the end of the day, as they say, we are whee we are.

we now need to progress to the Olympiacos/ Sevilla level to keep moving forward. Todo that we need to be ruthless and move on

Emotionally I love the see guys but to move to the next level I suggest we have to replace the following (warning devils advocate at play)

Traore - our most saleable asset but arguably at his peak and couldn’t turn the game tonight.

Moutiniiho - possibly they best midfielder I’ve ever seen at the club but needs replacing.

Jota - oh how I love Diogo constantly wanting to do so well but we can’t live in hope his phases become a full season.

There’s three of the best players I’ve ever seen in a Wolves shirt but if we need to progress we need to improve. Breaks my heart but the best teams discard sentiment and move forward. Time is opportune to take that bull by the horns.

Nivada

Reaction score
Top 4 next season, I think we can do it just need to cut out the silly mistakes

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What has Traore done? Have I missed something?

Once again, he SINGLE-HANDEDLY created our biggest chance through a remarkable bit of play. If Jiménez scores and we win 1-0 that gets spoken about for years to come.

He is our best player and talk of selling him is ridiculous.

As for the other two, Moutinho hasn’t been good this season and isn’t in our best XI in my opinion.

We can all see Jota is off form but he deserves our loyalty and is worth persevering with.

We are under no financial pressure to sell, only Boly‘s deal is running down and we have a squad that’s too small.

Selling people, barring a ridiculous offer, should be completely off the table. We need a squad that has 16/17 good players. Then, if Moutinho & Jota don’t improve, they’re on the bench. Simple.

jim_boner

Groupie
Reaction score
I personally don't think we need to make major changes. We need to remember that this season we managed to improve on an incredible first season. It's clear that we need some strengthening and i think we all know which positions are most in need.
In terms of the players you mention, i personally hope that we keep hold of Traore (barring a crazy offer). I think his improvement this season has been excellent but he can certainly become more consistent and remains our biggest threat moving forward.
Moutinho obviously isn't getting any younger. I certainly think that sooner rather than later we need to bring somebody of equal quality (easier said than done). I still expect Moutinho to start a lot of games next season but he cant start 90% of our games again next season, especially without much of a holiday in between seasons.
Jota is the biggest question mark for me. We all know how good he can be and he has shown it in spells this season. On his day, he's one of the best attackers in the premier league. But since the restart, he's been an absolute passenger. Maybe there is an underlying reason which we aren't aware of, but unless Nuno and co have confidence that he can get back to his best level, i wouldn't be surprised to see him leave and replaced by somebody new.

jeb01

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or two players move on now, maybe Doherty, Jota, and MGW.
We clearly need three or four significant signings to boost both numbers and quality in the squad.
At the same time I hope that players like Kilman and Sanderson can progress to stake their claims.
The current squad is not quite strong enough to break into the top six of the EPL, or to win cups, but we are not far off.
More is required from players like Traore, Neto, Podence, and Vinagre, but I think all of them have the potential to be better.
Time for Fosun to back Nuno with funding.
Expanding Molineux may need to wait for another year anyway due to Covid.

jeb01

Reaction score
What I am pleased about is that the current team has given recent generations of Wolves fans something significant to remember with pleasure for years to come.
Bit like the 1970’s team that those of us of, ahem, mature years still bang on about whenever we can.
That team needed a bit of strengthening to become a major force in the English game, and it never happened.
I think Fosun have a terrific opportunity now to build on the base Nuno has created and move Wolves on to be a significant club within the EPL, and Europe.
Will they take that opportunity?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are going to reflect, let’s reflect properly.

It’s been a season of over a year.

Moutinho had a great first half, it indicates we may need to use him less often to allow for his more advanced years, but let’s not get rid of a true talent and maestro based on recent form.

Traore, I admit I’d be in the sell camp but I’m not reflecting properly. I would change the way we use him but unless we needed the funds to improve the squad, I’d keep for now.

jota has had a poor season by his standards.
I maintain he’s more than good enough.

Nuno has clearly said these players need more help. Lets give him that help and trust the project.

less games next year so let’s hope for a good start and see what happens.

As an aside how can villa or Albion fans claim anything over last night?! Special people.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Olympiacos and Sevilla showed how to have some defensive solidity but combined that with a more attacking mindset. Hopefully Nuno can see a way to make some changes to our approach to achieve something similar.

In my view we are not that far behind, major changes are not needed, probably just the addition of 3-4 quality additions to the squad.

D

Deleted member 3545

Next season anywhere between 5th-10th. IMHO 3 signings needed through the spine of the team a CB,CM & ST

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, we shouldn’t sell anyone, and I don’t think we will. No one we don’t want to keep anyway.

We then need to improve so we end up with a situation where Doc, Saiss, possibly Dendonker, Moutinho, Jota and Traore are mostly on the bench. What a bench that would be by the way.
In terms of defence/midfield, that means buying players to replace/improve the ones I mention. In terms of attack, I personally think Podence, Neto, Jiminez should be our attack, with Traore used largely as, a brilliant, super sub, or sometimes RYB, and Jota as back up.

3 quality signings gives us the scenario above. That squad, refreshed, with no Europa distractions, finishes top 6 IMO.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First thing let’s get Nuno and his boys signed up for the next 5 years. Then:

- First choice CB
- Quality LWB
- Attack minded CM
- Young striker to help Raul

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, we shouldn’t sell anyone, and I don’t think we will. No one we don’t want to keep anyway.

We then need to improve so we end up with a situation where Doc, Saiss, possibly Dendonker, Moutinho, Jota and Traore are mostly on the bench. What a bench that would be by the way.
In terms of defence/midfield, that means buying players to replace/improve the ones I mention. In terms of attack, I personally think Podence, Neto, Jiminez should be our attack, with Traore used largely as, a brilliant, super sub, or sometimes RYB, and Jota as back up.

3 quality signings gives us the scenario above. That squad, refreshed, with no Europa distractions, finishes top 6 IMO.
Great post and exactly how I feel. To improve, we need to stop relying on the counter attack so much (as much as it's been successful) and start dominating games in midfield more. Olympiakos and Sevilla were both excellent teams that kept possession and kept ploughing forward. They never stopped looking dangerous, and if we were like that, but still had the pace of Traore etc for surprise counter attacks etc, then wow....

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
It’s a difficult one and really depends on what Fosun’s vision for the club is. If they are wanting us to break into the Top Four, then realistically, we are going to have to spend hundreds of millions to have midfields and attacks that contribute similar numbers of goals as:

Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Salah, Firmino, Mane
De Bruyne, B.Silva, Sterling, Mahrez, Aguero
Pogba, Fernandes, Greenwood, Rashford, Martial
Jorginho, Ziyech, Werner, Pulisic (possibly Havertz)

Our success has largely been based on how organised and well drilled we are defensively and unless we are in a position to bring in players of that type of quality, trying to move to a more expansive game plan could actually backfire.

I’d probably be more inclined to accept that it is going to be nigh on impossible to break into that Top Four, look to keep building slowly on what we have and realise that finishing the best of the rest (7th) is probably the best we can realistically hope for.

D

Deleted member 5635

Whatever we think about tonight’s game it has been a season to remember. We all have our personal highs and the moments we feel cheated but at the end of the day, as they say, we are whee we are.

we now need to progress to the Olympiacos/ Sevilla level to keep moving forward. Todo that we need to be ruthless and move on

Emotionally I love the see guys but to move to the next level I suggest we have to replace the following (warning devils advocate at play)

Traore - our most saleable asset but arguably at his peak and couldn’t turn the game tonight.

Moutiniiho - possibly they best midfielder I’ve ever seen at the club but needs replacing.

Jota - oh how I love Diogo constantly wanting to do so well but we can’t live in hope his phases become a full season.

There’s three of the best players I’ve ever seen in a Wolves shirt but if we need to progress we need to improve. Breaks my heart but the best teams discard sentiment and move forward. Time is opportune to take that bull by the horns.
This has been said many times but weirdly pre tonight’s game you would of been called an idiot or something along those lines. After tonight’s game it seems ok.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The key is Nuno -keep.him and we will gradually improve ,lose him and most of our stars will want to leave.

D

Deleted member 5635

Great post and exactly how I feel. To improve, we need to stop relying on the counter attack so much (as much as it's been successful) and start dominating games in midfield more. Olympiakos and Sevilla were both excellent teams that kept possession and kept ploughing forward. They never stopped looking dangerous, and if we were like that, but still had the pace of Traore etc for surprise counter attacks etc, then wow....
The issue is the managers setup then. (This isn’t a dig before all the super fans jump on to defend his honor as Nuno has been the best manager we have had for decades)
If you want to break the top 6 or 4, 99 times out of 100 a more attacking philosophy would probably be required. You may as well win 1 game and lose 1 game rather than draw 2 games.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First thing let’s get Nuno and his boys signed up for the next 5 years. Then:

- First choice CB
- Quality LWB
- Attack minded CM
- Young striker to help Raul
i agree 100%

M

merseawolf

It’s a difficult one and really depends on what Fosun’s vision for the club is. If they are wanting us to break into the Top Four, then realistically, we are going to have to spend hundreds of millions to have midfields and attacks that contribute similar numbers of goals as:

Our success has largely been based on how organised and well drilled we are defensively and unless we are in a position to bring in players of that type of quality, trying to move to a more expansive game plan could actually backfire.

I’d probably be more inclined to accept that it is going to be nigh on impossible to break into that Top Four, look to keep building slowly on what we have and realise that finishing the best of the rest (7th) is probably the best we can realistically hope for.
I think the best of the rest will be 5th next season. Chelsea and Utd will spend their way to close the gap on the Top 2. No reason why we can’t finish 5th and get 60+ points.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the best of the rest will be 5th next season. Chelsea and Utd will spend their way to close the gap on the Top 2. No reason why we can’t finish 5th and get 60+ points.
Agreed, I would be happy with this - another season of improvement

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
We need to be in that Spurs/Arsenal bracket. We are actually there at the moment but need to establish ourselves as a team qualifying for Europe on a regular basis and not by hoping a top 4 team wins both cups.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Absolutely spot on as ever Tring. If our tactics remain to be well drilled and hit teams on the counter then we need additions to the team to maintain our current level of finishing 6th or 7th at best. To realistically finish higher on a regular basis for Champions League will need millions and millions. Not sure Fosun will be spending that much.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's not just vision -I am sure they want us to be as good as possible but their ability to finance is in doubt due to the virus and political factors .Then there's the stadium .

It's mega bucks.Manure have two home grown in your list and we would need to do the same imo.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to be in that Spurs/Arsenal bracket. We are actually there at the moment but need to establish ourselves as a team qualifying for Europe on a regular basis and not by hoping a top 4 team wins both cups.
We have a chance to be better than Spurs and Arsenal as we only have the league and they have the long trips and Thursday/Sunday games

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What has Traore done? Have I missed something?

Once again, he SINGLE-HANDEDLY created our biggest chance through a remarkable bit of play. If Jiménez scores and we win 1-0 that gets spoken about for years to come.

He is our best player and talk of selling him is ridiculous.

As for the other two, Moutinho hasn’t been good this season and isn’t in our best XI in my opinion.

We can all see Jota is off form but he deserves our loyalty and is worth persevering with.

We are under no financial pressure to sell, only Boly‘s deal is running down and we have a squad that’s too small.

Selling people, barring a ridiculous offer, should be completely off the table. We need a squad that has 16/17 good players. Then, if Moutinho & Jota don’t improve, they’re on the bench. Simple.

The bashing of Traore on here is hard to explain.
One of very few players that played for us yesterday that looked worldclass against a good opponent in Sevilla.
IF Traore leaves,we will not be able to replace him.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Whilst I agree with you , I don't think Donk, Jota and Traore would stay around long if they were used mainly from the bench.
Its a tricky one ,the current squad seem to all be moving in the same direction and have a close bond and may feel theyve proven their worth to the club but at the same time we need to freshen the first 11 , whether that be with new signings or players like Podence and Neto starting the majority of games.... BUT will the dynamics change when players that have played regularly for the last 2-3 seasons without much competition for their place, suddenly find themselves not in the strongest starting lineup??

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree 100% and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. If we finish in/around 7th for the next 5 years then we’ll have come on leaps and bounds in a decade and be an established challenger to the “top 6”. Our brand will continue to grow, revenue streams will increase etc etc and maybe then we can start to look at breaking the top 6 on a regular basis.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We haven't improved this season we have maintained a top half finish, done very well in individual games but failed when we needed to step up in the important games. Nuno is negative and his idea of sitting back for 60/70 mins does not make exciting football in fact we're as boring as hell to watch except for the odd game. Neutrals don't see us as an attacking team because we aren't we are designed not to attack until near the end, it's not pretty.

RobB

Reaction score
Thought we looked knackered, again. I like a small squad but we need two or three more, first teamers. I don't think we could have coped getting to the final, or another European campaign next season, given the quick turnaround.

Rest up, get a couple in and let's go again in the league and the domestic cup competitions.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don’t need to sell anybody, we need new recruits, it’s exactly a month before the new season starts and there will be fewer games this time. We go again,

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be nice to hear from Jeff soon. He normally speaks when the season has ended.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Absolutely spot on as ever Tring. If our tactics remain to be well drilled and hit teams on the counter then we need additions to the team to maintain our current level of finishing 6th or 7th at best. To realistically finish higher on a regular basis for Champions League will need millions and millions. Not sure Fosun will be spending that much.
Imagine a bit more strength in attacking philosophy, with the defence we have not being under so much pressure, would be more joyful to watch and there would certainly be a few more finger nails left too.

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We haven't improved this season we have maintained a top half finish, done very well in individual games but failed when we needed to step up in the important games. Nuno is negative and his idea of sitting back for 60/70 mins does not make exciting football in fact we're as boring as hell to watch except for the odd game. Neutrals don't see us as an attacking team because we aren't we are designed not to attack until near the end, it's not pretty.
Most of that is complete garbage. We had an objectively better season based on the numbers. We addressed the weakness of last season related to performances and results against the bottom 6. We have had some players make measurable improvements in their performance levels. We have had some very noticeable wins. Yes we have had some
frustrating results but all teams, Liverpool aside, have suffered in that regard - that is in many ways the beauty of football. I hope no-one from the Club reads your post.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
While on paper we did not improve much compared to the previous season, let's not forget about the so called 2nd season syndrome. We are no longer a surprise package. Additionally we've had on our shoulders an exhausting European campaign. To finish 7th in such circumstances, on more points than previously, is a great achievement that required an improvement at many levels.

What has been striking is that this time we generally outplayed the poorer teams, whilst not being as effective against the top level opposition (Man City excluded). As I said in the Sevilla game thread, top teams are top teams for a reason. They have top level coaching and analyst teams and we have probably been found out.

That leads us to the question of what we must do to sustain the progress. The answer is simple, yet very difficult. We need more quality in the squad. No one questions our defensive organization and how well drilled the team is. Here we are one of the best in business. But shortage in quality in depth is what ultimately costs us against the top teams. We cannot expect to break into the very top when some players play virtually every game, having no backups. We cannot rely on one striker in 50+ games as he will burn out. Same applies to RWB and several other players.

We are unlikely to break the bank, but there is talent all over the world, for a reasonable price in many cases. I'd like us to show the ambition and make 4 signings: a centre half, a right wing back, a central midfielder (physically strong and willing to run at people) and a striker. That in my opinion gives us a chance to challenge the top 4, and surely enough credentials for a top 6 finish.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all the talk of crossroads, pivotal moments, moving players on etc there's no mention of fans having some patience. Seen so many people suddenly decide Jota isn't good enough and now Moutinhos legs have gone. These are players who've had a 60 game, 13 month season. This has never happened in football! This squad is full of young players who are progressing and will continue to do so, we have an Identity a manager to envy, brilliant owners and work with the best agent there is. Trust the project, have some patience and see where we are in 3 seasons

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Interesting 33 days now until we go again .Obviously the players need to rest up.Will we hear about a new contract for Nuno? Are we going to recruit a new Sporting Director? Will we have new players joining from the off? Will any be sold ? Will we have pre-season games?
All of them are imponderables and whilst I am not expecting massive changes we can’t go into next season with what we have without adding to it .We have a lot of promising youngsters but that is what most of them are at the minute ,but what we don’t have are game changers .Realistically we only have Jota,Neto and Podence (plus Jonny) to add to that starting X1 who can change things and ironically they all play wide .
Serious thought must be given to a CB CMF and back up striker .Our 3 options at the minute are Kilman MGW and Campana .The odd game yes but an extended run ? I don’t think so .
When Boly went down last night my fear was what would we do if he went off?Probably move Dendonker there and have to re-jig elsewhere.
We had years of square pegs in round holes and whilst Nuno prefers a small squad if you do get injuries or loss of form that is what you end up with.
Major decisions to be made as to how we push on now.

Back
Top Bottom