Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tim Nash's article in tonight's express and star. A question.

P

Phys Ed Wolf

I can't create a link to it, sorry. But in it he talks about Anthony Forde joining Keane, Murray, Lescott, and Hennessey in Wolves academy players to have played in the Prem, only Murray and Hennessey to do it with Wolves. Am I right in thinking this is wrong? Were Naylor, Andrews, Clyde and Gavin Mahon not from our academy? Did we bring them in from elsewhere when very young? Thanks in advance for putting me straight.

SOUTHBANK_BULLY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't create a link to it, sorry. But in it he talks about Anthony Forde joining Keane, Murray, Lescott, and Hennessey in Wolves academy players to have played in the Prem, only Murray and Hennessey to do it with Wolves. Am I right in thinking this is wrong? Were Naylor, Andrews, Clyde and Gavin Mahon not from our academy? Did we bring them in from elsewhere when very young? Thanks in advance for putting me straight.

naylor,clyde and andrews were both with wolves in 03-04 season

infact i think clyde may have been given his debut under hoddle ??

gavin mahon left many years before we reached the prem

B

bridgnorthwolf

Yes our only ever present. Clyde played in the Premier League under Jones too.

P

PeteWolf

Clyde played in the Prem. Remember him having a great game at Anfield. He replaced Irwin towards the end of the season when his legs went.

Reaction score
Naylor definitely did, and he's much more of a Wolves product than Hennessey or Forde who we bought young, rather than actually bringing through from kid age. Mahon played for Watford(?) in the Prem I think. Obviously Andrews for Blackburn. Elliott Bennett for Norwich this year. Mark Davies for Bolton. So in short, yes he's wrong.

W

Wolfos

Mark Clyde was an absolute giant at right back in the away fixture against Chelsea, when we threw away a 2-1 lead. Joe Cole, Damien Duff etc couldn't find a way past him.

P

Phys Ed Wolf

Thought Mahon played there with Watford?

W

Wolfos

Naylor definitely did, and he's much more of a Wolves product than Hennessey or Forde who we bought young, rather than actually bringing through from kid age. Mahon played for Watford(?) in the Prem I think. Obviously Andrews for Blackburn. Elliott Bennett for Norwich this year. Mark Davies for Bolton. So in short, yes he's wrong.

Andrews started our home fixture against Newcastle in 03-04. Don't think he played any more than that though.

P

PeteWolf

Mark Davies, Matt Doherty are two others not mentioned. Keith Andrews has actually played in the Premier for us as well. In the firework game versus Newcastle.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Phys Ed Wolf

To be fair he mentioned Davies.

D

Dewsburywolf

yes he did , got a lot of unfair stick

even got slated by dave jones for giving the ball back too quick to a bolton player for a throw in in which they scored from

How could I forget the Jones years? :embarassed:

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think you could have signed Anthony Forde any younger than we did WABOC. The law wouldn't allow it. I can't comment on Hennessy though I believe he was previously on the books at Citeh.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My understanding is that we signed MD from Bohemians and he went straight into the development squad.

D

Dewsburywolf

Was Tim Flowers a product of our Academy (or whatever it would've been called in those days)

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the short time ive watched forde play, he has the physical appearence, running style and general demena of a downing/johnson type footballer. If he can progress at the same rate and has similar technique to either of these players, we'll have one hell of a footballer on our hands. If he continues to play for the first team, he may even be a late addition to the irish euro 2012 squad.

P

PeteWolf

Here's one I bet no one will guess... Lee Mills. Played for Bradford in the Prem.

Again another that blurs the lines between young signing and youth player.

C

cooper_J

Mills can't count I don't think. He was early 20's when we bought him.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember we also have Zeli Ismael and Liam McAlinden who were also second year Academy students this year to hopefully come through. Also possibilities to be considered include Johnny Gorman, Jamie Reckord, Jake Cassidy and James Spray. It could be that we are entering the golden age of our Academy system.

P

PeteWolf

Mills can't count I don't think. He was early 20's when we bought him.
22 apparently. If we buy them young before they've played a league game then I'd count that towards the successes list.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

even got slated by dave jones for giving the ball back too quick to a bolton player for a throw in in which they scored from
His distribution was always pretty poor. He was a great exponent of the long, hopeful punt up the field - would do well in today's set up!

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His distribution was always pretty poor. He was a great exponent of the long, hopeful punt up the field - would do well in today's set up!

He was a much better player than he was given credit for and probably would have got regular games for MM, unlike the lazy overated Mark Kennedy that played in front of him and rarely ever tracked back or gave him support.

Naylor and Jarvis (IMHO) would have been quite a decent team

P

PeteWolf

He was a much better player than he was given credit for
If you only turned up every sixth game maybe. Far too inconsistent to ever make it in the top flight and as mentioned by nnw, his distribution was woeful at times.

I remember cringing every time we won a free kick 30 yards from goal knowing he'd step up when we had better FK takers in the team. He scored that one against Reading and then after that opposition defenders had to put on extra sets of shinpads every time they gave away a foul! To give him credit though, he did score a cracker up at Stoke one year. A real rocket right into the top corner.

Last edited by a moderator:

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He did get unfair stick...but that Bolton incident was $$$$$$! I was fuming!

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The infuriating thing about Naylor was, for example this -

Say it's the 90th minute and we're losing or drawing and are having a period of sustained attack, we've just hit the post and had one cleared off the line- it's looking like we could score.

The ball finds it's way to Naylor on the left wing, who has plenty of time to pick out a cross. However, he balloons the ball into the stand, the crowd take an age to give it back, the gk slows down his goal kick, the sustained pressure is over and it's now game over.

That last paragraph is Lee Naylor in a nutshell.

Back
Top Bottom