Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thoughts on where this situation will go for football.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
No but where the heck is the groundswell to bring some youthful exuberance and foreward thinking ?.He reeks of old school ,

There isn’t any internal motivation or great need to change what he….erm.. ..occasionally has to do for his members. There are never any great issues to be dealing with, well until now perhaps.

Personally think his old-school style actually suits the limited requirements of his flock, hence his apparent longevity with the leading role.

He could happily drag this out a few more years, no real pressure there for change.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nearly 30k total deaths announced today. The highest total in Europe now, amazingly we've now surpassed Italy. These alarming figures imo could well sound the death knell for any resumption of the season and if the figures keep at around this level who knows if next season will ever ko?

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nearly 30k total deaths announced today. The highest total in Europe now, amazingly we've now surpassed Italy. These alarming figures imo could well sound the death knell for any resumption of the season and if the figures keep at around this level who knows if next season will ever ko?
Not that amazing when our population is so much bigger and our cities are much denser. You have all seen pictures of blatant flouting of lock down rules in suburbs of London and Manchester and couple that with ridiculous decisions like Cheltenham it really isn’t surprising at all that we are still well above 500 deaths a day
It will be at least 3 more months until the deaths are down to around 200 a day and even then the prospect of bringing back football should still be well down the list of priorities
Bin it off and done with it

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't take much notice of any countries official death figures. While I don't think we've done well it's hard to believe we're worse than Italy or Spain. Even the media pushing this line often have a little message near the bottom of the story saying figures are not directly comparable. We will never know the truth I suspect.
Anyway football will restart at some point. The infection rate is dropping, hopefully people will use the app so track and trace has a chance and things will look a bit better in 2 or 3 weeks.

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It boggles the mind right now how the media is still generating and consuming transfer gossip. I know most of it is total fabrication, and football isn't dead yet, but there's still a sickly sense of dancing on graves about it all. Does anyone seriously give a rat's **** about who Liverpool and Man Utd want to buy 'in the summer'? What ****ing summer? Clubs are about to go bankrupt left, right and centre, staff and players are going to be unemployed. £50m transfer gossip is obscene.

And all this todge about sub-45 minute halves, no relegation, bickering about wage deferrals... it's getting so grubby and desperate and we've barely hit the really bad stuff yet.
Well said.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
There was a question about the premier league on the government thing at 5pm, they said they’re in discussions, they think it will lift spirits, but it will probably be behind closed doors until the virus is beaten.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
There isn’t any internal motivation or great need to change what he….erm.. ..occasionally has to do for his members. There are never any great issues to be dealing with, well until now perhaps.

Personally think his old-school style actually suits the limited requirements of his flock, hence his apparent longevity with the leading role.

He could happily drag this out a few more years, no real pressure there for change.
I wouldn’t be so sure .He was about to be challenged by Ben Purkiss a couple of years back and he said he would go once they had undertaken a review into how the PFA should be restructured.

Last edited:

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be so sure .He was about to be challenged by Ben Purkiss a couple of years back and he said he would go once they had undertaken a review into how the PFA should be restructured.
Heard Ex footballer Dave Kitson talking the other day, I was under the impression he is going to stand against him. He Proposed a massive wage cut, and sounds pretty confident.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Heard Ex footballer Dave Kitson talking the other day, I was under the impression he is going to stand against him. He Proposed a massive wage cut, and sounds pretty confident.
Good

kinyo298

Reaction score
Even if the games are,"played behind closed doors".How many players, staff, people associated with both clubs would that entail? I would be shocked if this season finishes or next starts on time.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Even if the games are,"played behind closed doors".How many players, staff, people associated with both clubs would that entail? I would be shocked if this season finishes or next starts on time.
I heard on the radio the other day that all in all there would be around 300 people at a game

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't take much notice of any countries official death figures. While I don't think we've done well it's hard to believe we're worse than Italy or Spain. Even the media pushing this line often have a little message near the bottom of the story saying figures are not directly comparable. We will never know the truth I suspect.
Anyway football will restart at some point. The infection rate is dropping, hopefully people will use the app so track and trace has a chance and things will look a bit better in 2 or 3 weeks.
Is that the app that doesn't work?
He pretty much said in a round about way what a lot of us have been saying from the start.
No games with crowds until it's beaten.
He talked about other things other than a vaccine as if it might be years away, which obviously could be the case

Golden Moth

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I haven't read through all of this thread so apologies if someone has already raised this point.

Even if enough players agree to a restart before a vaccine I'm thinking that it wouldn't work for another reason. Surely some player somewhere (or several players in several somewheres) is going to get infected and before it's detected spread it to other players in his squad. Then presumably the whole squad would be quarantined for two weeks, so that's four games missed in a tight schedule. And would the team they played two days ago have to be quarantined too? Then the players that get it need more or less two weeks for the disease to run its course followed by two, three, four weeks (or more) recovery time to get back match fitness after a disease that damages the lungs. So for a month, or perhaps more a squad could be very seriously depleted.

My guess is that football won't return till after there's a vaccine. If we are lucky and that arrives in January or February, fixture lists could be taken up exactly where we left off in March, thus avoiding most competition integrity issues. The 20/21 season would simply be lost to us. Money and contract issues would be a nightmare in that senario but a way will have to be found. No vaccine, no football.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is that the app that doesn't work?
He pretty much said in a round about way what a lot of us have been saying from the start.
No games with crowds until it's beaten.
He talked about other things other than a vaccine as if it might be years away, which obviously could be the case
That's a pretty pessimistic view. The app works I believe (though I'm not an expert). The issue is that on iPhones they've apparently used a work round to keep the app working in the background and apple might find and stop that.
In the end its quite possible to put on a football match in a way that is a lot safer for the players than working conditions will be for many. Whether people want to is another matter.
Are fans, players or officials who are dead set against this accepting that if we wait for a vaccine there may be no football clubs left?
As for a vaccine it will almost certainly be here next year but I'd accept you can't have crowds until then. These reports are mostly media spin for want of a better phrase. If you ask a responsible scientist "will we definitely have a vaccine next year " he/she will say no. Ask the same scientist is it likely and he would say yes.
I understand people worry but for most of us we can't continue to stay at home. Hings have to start moving.
It's up to you and everyone else personally if you feel it's too dangerous for a football match to be put on. My opinion is that if its wanted its quite possible to do at low risk.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a pretty pessimistic view. The app works I believe (though I'm not an expert). The issue is that on iPhones they've apparently used a work round to keep the app working in the background and apple might find and stop that.
In the end its quite possible to put on a football match in a way that is a lot safer for the players than working conditions will be for many. Whether people want to is another matter.
Are fans, players or officials who are dead set against this accepting that if we wait for a vaccine there may be no football clubs left?
As for a vaccine it will almost certainly be here next year but I'd accept you can't have crowds until then. These reports are mostly media spin for want of a better phrase. If you ask a responsible scientist "will we definitely have a vaccine next year " he/she will say no. Ask the same scientist is it likely and he would say yes.
I understand people worry but for most of us we can't continue to stay at home. Hings have to start moving.
It's up to you and everyone else personally if you feel it's too dangerous for a football match to be put on. My opinion is that if its wanted its quite possible to do at low risk.
These are very negative in a number of ways about the UK app.

Last edited:

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven't read through all of this thread so apologies if someone has already raised this point.

Even if enough players agree to a restart before a vaccine I'm thinking that it wouldn't work for another reason. Surely some player somewhere (or several players in several somewheres) is going to get infected and before it's detected spread it to other players in his squad. Then presumably the whole squad would be quarantined for two weeks, so that's four games missed in a tight schedule. And would the team they played two days ago have to be quarantined too? Then the players that get it need more or less two weeks for the disease to run its course followed by two, three, four weeks (or more) recovery time to get back match fitness after a disease that damages the lungs. So for a month, or perhaps more a squad could be very seriously depleted.

My guess is that football won't return till after there's a vaccine. If we are lucky and that arrives in January or February, fixture lists could be taken up exactly where we left off in March, thus avoiding most competition integrity issues. The 20/21 season would simply be lost to us. Money and contract issues would be a nightmare in that senario but a way will have to be found. No vaccine, no football.

The method, as I understand it, is continuous testing, and keeping players isolated from everyone but each other, at least for this potential summer project.

So even if one, or several, players contract the virus, the testers identify it before it can spread. This relies on the tests being effective, results being reliable and quick, and players behaving and being happy not to see their families, unless of course the clubs are planning to test families too.

Can you imagine four hundred professional footballers in the PL alone doing exactly what they're told for a month? I can't. Plus the fact that every game staged needs people behind the scenes.

The sheer number of tests required to constantly keep on top of it would be staggering.

They've just mass tested in the Bundesliga and ten cases have flagged up. They will now test again. And again. Unless they come up with zero new cases, I can't see how they will restart. Or that players would want to.

Personally I think they'll do everything they can to restart here, we'll get a week in, and ten, fifteen games played (out of the ninety odd left) and then one club will report an outbreak, there will be postponements, and it will all just grind to a halt again.

In a perfect world, everyone behaves, testing comes back negative, football matches get played. In the real world, some tests are positive, players make a justified fuss, clubs get itchy, there's public and media negativity about the number of tests, back to square one.

But it's all nonsense anyway. For economic reasons, lockdown is about to ease and end. Transmission is about to go back up regardless. Football will just be part of the whole.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm just glad that folk on here are limited to contributing on a forum rather than being key decision makers.

Such defeatist attitudes. Everything is framed around what can go wrong and domesday predictions.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But it's all nonsense anyway. For economic reasons, lockdown is about to ease and end. Transmission is about to go back up regardless. Football will just be part of the whole.
I would say lockdown is nowhere near ending with 600+ deaths per day still being recorded , too many idiots still not abiding to simple instructions

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would say lockdown is nowhere near ending with 600+ deaths per day still being recorded , too many idiots still not abiding to simple instructions
It’s got be eased fairly soon. Government won’t keep 6 million on furlough for much longer.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s got be eased fairly soon. Government won’t keep 6 million on furlough for much longer.
Cost of a second wave of this virus would cost a hell of a lot more, it's a very delicate balancing operation and as I sad there still are too many idiots who dont follow simple istructions
Article now on BBC sport saying unless the 14 clubs agree to neutral venue malarkey then the season may well be cancelled

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cost of a second wave of this virus would cost a hell of a lot more, it's a very delicate balancing operation and as I sad there still are too many idiots who dont follow simple istructions
Article now on BBC sport saying unless the 14 clubs agree to neutral venue malarkey then the season may well be cancelled
True and agree that the public has too many idiots in it.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope if they have to do this the bottom 3 get relegated and spend the summer wishing they'd been a little more constructive and a little less hopeful there would be no relegation.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope if they have to do this the bottom 3 get relegated and spend the summer wishing they'd been a little more constructive and a little less hopeful there would be no relegation.
Which is why the bottom three should vote to finish otherwise the rest will just relegate them -I can understand the next three voting against .

Those in champions league positions may be tempted but no sign of that.

Can't imagine we will get thru it without someone testing positive either

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Furlough pay is extended to the end of June probably won’t be extended any further

There are reports it could be phased out -60 per cent after June otherwise there will be mass redundancies

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which is why the bottom three should vote to finish otherwise the rest will just relegate them -I can understand the next three voting against .

An isolated case would be ok and treated as if it was any other Ill player, which does happen. They will be tested regularly so should be caught early. Given that they are also being largely isolated they should be pretty protected.
Of course if a club has a major outbreak that could stop the whole thing.

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm just glad that folk on here are limited to contributing on a forum rather than being key decision makers.

Such defeatist attitudes. Everything is framed around what can go wrong and domesday predictions.
Nothing defeatest about the truth.
I've got friends in pretty much all walks of life and the NHS guys are still working flat out.
People have largely given up with lockdown in parts of the country and there are numerous reports of the app failing on both iPhone and Android unless you keep your phone unlocked.

If pubs don't reopen in July then that's millions unemployed, the majority of people couldn't live on 60% income.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

vote on Monday, season could be cancelled if < 14 agree

Brighton (2 pts above relegation zone) not in favour of neutral grounds
Coronavirus and sport: LMA chief warns clubs need to back neutral venues
However, Brighton have said they are "not in favour" of using neutral venues because it may affect the "integrity" of the league.

so nothing to do with the fact that they are currently safe but could be relegated if season completes ?

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
vote on Monday, season could be cancelled if < 14 agree

Brighton (2 pts above relegation zone) not in favour of neutral grounds
Coronavirus and sport: LMA chief warns clubs need to back neutral venues
However, Brighton have said they are "not in favour" of using neutral venues because it may affect the "integrity" of the league.

so nothing to do with the fact that they are currently safe but could be relegated if season completes ?
Whatever would give you that idea?

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
If a lot of players are unhappy with the thought of going back to training and football, this just isn’t going to work. Club doctors and physios being terrified of being sued by players over wrong advice and practice is another thing. How this is going to work is mind boggling.

Back
Top Bottom