Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thoughts on where this situation will go for football.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
vote on Monday, season could be cancelled if < 14 agree

Brighton (2 pts above relegation zone) not in favour of neutral grounds
Coronavirus and sport: LMA chief warns clubs need to back neutral venues
However, Brighton have said they are "not in favour" of using neutral venues because it may affect the "integrity" of the league.

so nothing to do with the fact that they are currently safe but could be relegated if season completes ?
Based on the last couple of weeks the only thing lacking integrity is Brighton.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well,I´ve changed my mind.
Previously I have said that this season should be null and void.
Now..I think it can be played to the finish beginning in June.
Test everyone involved and played at certain "secure" grounds it should be doable.

I don´t expect a football season 20/21 though unless there is a big change in with world society is approaching Covid 19.

I think everyone will get it in the end.I don´t believe a really effective vaccin will come along.

We will have to learn to live with it..football as well.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The future for football (and indeed everyting) is uncertain.

The "quick fix" of a vaccine may be unrealistic and ultimately impossible (various countries/manufacturers have been unable to develop a vaccine in the past for various viruses e.g. HIV, can at least be treated). A lot of what we are hearing about vaccines might be political bluster, designed to prevent a total collapse of the world economy. We will see but dont be suprised if where we are now is the new long term normal. If so, football etc etc is on the edge of a cliff.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only way the bottom six will vote to carry on if they know three teams will be relegated whatever happens.Harsh i know but i think its leaning towards voiding season than its down to Sky /BT what they do about getting their money back.
Can imagine it will lead to bitter recrimnations between the clubs whatever happens.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The future for football (and indeed everyting) is uncertain.

The "quick fix" of a vaccine may be unrealistic and ultimately impossible (various countries/manufacturers have been unable to develop a vaccine in the past for various viruses e.g. HIV, can at least be treated). A lot of what we are hearing about vaccines might be political bluster, designed to prevent a total collapse of the world economy. We will see but dont be suprised if where we are now is the new long term normal. If so, football etc etc is on the edge of a cliff.
Where we are now is not sustainable, irrespective of football.
There is every reason to anticipate a vaccine for C19. Aids is very different and has properties that make it much harder for traditional methods to work.
Of course there are no guarantees but if we don't get a vaccine then it will have to be herd immunity, not hiding behind the setee for years.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only way the bottom six will vote to carry on if they know three teams will be relegated whatever happens.Harsh i know but i think its leaning towards voiding season than its down to Sky /BT what they do about getting their money back.
Can imagine it will lead to bitter recrimnations between the clubs whatever happens.
Fully agree. I'd suggest that if the Premier league say the bottom 3 are down whenever we finish, Villa will suddenly decide that they are the most positive, enthusiastic supporters of a restart. All the current issues will melt away.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fully agree. I'd suggest that if the Premier league say the bottom 3 are down whenever we finish, Villa will suddenly decide that they are the most positive, enthusiastic supporters of a restart. All the current issues will melt away.
Yes. There should be two options to vote on
1 Carry on at neutral grounds
2 Cancel season using current positions for relegation.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where we are now is not sustainable, irrespective of football.
There is every reason to anticipate a vaccine for C19. Aids is very different and has properties that make it much harder for traditional methods to work.
Of course there are no guarantees but if we don't get a vaccine then it will have to be herd immunity, not hiding behind the setee for years.
Had the NHS been able to cope (no chance it ever could though) the Government would have opted for the herd immunity approach i.e. no Government impossed changes in life style, and the expectation of around 250,000 deaths in the UK over a very few months. As you correctly suggest in the absence of anything else this may be what has to happen.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
They are going to give it a go - Coronavirus: Germany's Bundesliga to resume this month, says Angela Merkel

Wonder if they will be playing at neutral grounds.

The mentality here is to try and do your level best to create/raise obstacles whereas the Germans seem to be all about doing their level best to get round such.

The reality is that footballers are no exception and they will have to come out of their cocoons and face up to some risk, even if that risk for them will be attempted to be minimised…...nothing can be 100% guaranteed for anyone with anything.

D

Deleted member 5635

Nothing defeatest about the truth.
I've got friends in pretty much all walks of life and the NHS guys are still working flat out.
People have largely given up with lockdown in parts of the country and there are numerous reports of the app failing on both iPhone and Android unless you keep your phone unlocked.

If pubs don't reopen in July then that's millions unemployed, the majority of people couldn't live on 60% income.
On the NHS bit of your statement, I also have friends in the NHS and my next door neighbor who is a nurse said the hospital she works at (russels hall) is quieter than it has ever been.(I have no reason to doubt her, just relaying what she said) This also doesnt mean i am taking the current situation lightly either.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well the Germans have announced that their Bundesliga season will complete behind closed doors. Hopefully starting mid May.

I think that the Germans are about 2 weeks ahead of us in the progression of the disease, so maybe the U.K. can look at the end of May to start the race to completion?

just realised that WW beat me to it.

Last edited:

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the NHS bit of your statement, I also have friends in the NHS and my next door neighbor who is a nurse said the hospital she works at (russels hall) is quieter than it has ever been.(I have no reason to doubt her, just relaying what she said) This also doesnt mean i am taking the current situation lightly either.
My mum works on New Cross wards and said she's at about 50% workload compared to normal. She's put it down to hypochondriacs not clogging up A&E as they're too scared to go in.

Demonstrates that the NHS would be far more efficient if people used it only if they really do need it.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My mum works on New Cross wards and said she's at about 50% workload compared to normal. She's put it down to hypochondriacs not clogging up A&E as they're too scared to go in.

Demonstrates that the NHS would be far more efficient if people used it only if they really do need it.
The waste of space types are no loss. The problem is that there is significant evidence that some of those who do need it are so scared to go near hospitals that they are either missing, or at the very least obtaining late, essential treatment (eg seeking late, if at all, treatment for strokes or heart attacks). That will lead to at best worse outcomes and at worst deaths.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see anyone being relegated if they just close the league off now. No title, no relegation just forget the season and start again when safe to do so. It's that or be able to play the season out which I just can't see the games being completed without a player or two contracting the virus and the whole team having to self isolate in turn withdrawing from fixtures

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see anyone being relegated if they just close the league off now. No title, no relegation just forget the season and start again when safe to do so. It's that or be able to play the season out which I just can't see the games being completed without a player or two contracting the virus and the whole team having to self isolate in turn withdrawing from fixtures
There is absolutely no way we will get a 38 game season in 20/21, be it at Molineux, neutral grounds, Australia, in front of crowds, behind closed doors - absolutely no way. The plan should be to get this season done somehow whenever safe, ffs it's only 9 games. When this is in hand then plans can be made for how 2021 will work out, if at all. There should be some thinking outside the box for next season if need be; eg , a one-off season of regional matches, some sort of one-off Cup competition leading hopefully to the Euros and then to the football getting back to normal in Aug 2021. We must not write this almost completed season off just so we can do behind closed door matches in August. That's just completely bonkers.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Teams will have to be relegted or its a breach of contract with the EFL & the lawyers for the EFL clubs will have a field day. Clubs in the PL know that there has to be 3 teams relegated, they were told from the off that the no relegation option was off the table

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is so much money involved by staying in the PL that I could see the 3 relegated clubs go to court. The lawyers fees would be a drop in the bucket compared to staying up and a share of tv payments.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is so much money involved by staying in the PL that I could see the 3 relegated clubs go to court. The lawyers fees would be a drop in the bucket compared to staying up and a share of tv payments.
I see litigation whatever happens.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
On one hand clubs like Brighton are complaining neutral venues affect the integrity of the competition but on the other seem happy to accept a no relegation type scenario. No perfect solutions here but at least neutral venues make it the same for everyone.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
However this season finishes has the potential for legal action. However if the premier league vote to restart with relegation then I would guess those clubs which do go down have a poor case.
Presumably the league is effectively a club with its own rules?

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am we getting our season ticket money back lol

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On one hand clubs like Brighton are complaining neutral venues affect the integrity of the competition but on the other seem happy to accept a no relegation type scenario. No perfect solutions here but at least neutral venues make it the same for everyone.
I understand why the bottom 6 want to use the current problems as an excuse for no relegation. But there are no logical arguments for this so just be honest.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am we getting our season ticket money back lol
Something will be done when the season is definitively to be completed BCD. My guess is they won't want to give money back, especially with no income. It will be some sort of discount on next season or even the one after. Given the likely timescale for fans returning it may be that this seasons ticket is extended to include whatever few games (if any) we get to attend next season.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
However this season finishes has the potential for legal action. However if the premier league vote to restart with relegation then I would guess those clubs which do go down have a poor case.
Presumably the league is effectively a club with its own rules?
Ok, you bring up some good points. I have no idea how the fine print in the Pl agreement works but I would bet my last dollar that NOTHING in the agreement cover something like this virus and therefore, the courts could reasonably find in favour of.......etc.....etc.
I dunno.....I might be wrong, but they may have a case.
I mean.....you can’t just vote on who, gets relegated.....that’s not cool, is it?

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Something will be done when the season is definitively to be completed BCD. My guess is they won't want to give money back, especially with no income. It will be some sort of discount on next season or even the one after. Given the likely timescale for fans returning it may be that this seasons ticket is extended to include whatever few games (if any) we get to attend next season.
They can just give me a ten minute training session with Neves

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok, you bring up some good points. I have no idea how the fine print in the Pl agreement works but I would bet my last dollar that NOTHING in the agreement cover something like this virus and therefore, the courts could reasonably find in favour of.......etc.....etc.
I dunno.....I might be wrong, but they may have a case.
I mean.....you can’t just vote on who, gets relegated.....that’s not cool, is it?
It seems clear that there is no provision for an incomplete season but law is complex, certainly here, often based on something originally written a thousand years ago for completely different circumstances. Certainly the Premier league and EFL have a rule where 3 get relegated and 3 promoted.
I'd argue that if we relegate whoever's in the bottom 3 at the seasons end (and the rules might be written or interpret able in that manner), even if it's now, wouldn't be voted down but relegated on sporting performance over the available time.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite a bit of money to be refunded, Olympiakos at home, West Ham / Villa away, over £500!

W

WOMWOL

Quite a bit of money to be refunded, Olympiakos at home, West Ham / Villa away, over £500!
Yep. I would take a credit against next season's when we are able to attend. Some probably wouldn't fancy renewing and would want a refund. Personally, as the club is still paying all their staff in full, I fully expect the club to offer both options. Would be disappointed if they didn't. And, yes, I know what the small print says.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suggest finding a German team to support
With lockdown being eased next week we will see a big spike in New cases itl be shambolic

Back
Top Bottom