Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Wonder Of You

stoke wanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
i can always remember after we stuffed livarpool 4-1 at home in nov 1980 they played the ovaltineys (happy days are here again)!

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
Wonder of you is all-time Wolves classic, going back to the late 60s.

There are a few songs that have a real emotional pull: Hi-Ho, Liquidator, The Wanderer, Everyone wants to rule the world Sweet Caroline, Those were the days, Hey Jude. Play them all at various times is my view.....
Agree with this minus sweet Caroline , can’t stand it and don’t think it belongs at molineux.

Loved wonder of you before the game yesterday!

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It took me back to my younger days. I had a bit of a sing-along to it. If we could get people in a bit earlier it would be even better but I don't think that will happen. It was a lot better before the kick-off though and it shows the club is listening to the fan groups.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It took me back to my younger days. I had a bit of a sing-along to it. If we could get people in a bit earlier it would be even better but I don't think that will happen. It was a lot better before the kick-off though and it shows the club is listening to the fan groups.
The club have to strike a balance though as most under 40s don't want to listen to Elvis and Tina Turner

If they listened to the Mix pre-match entertainment would be 1980s pub karaoke

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club have to strike a balance though as most under 40s don't want to listen to Elvis and Tina Turner

Absolutely. They played that Reepa song which is okay for what it is. It's just not one to sing along to.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

It’s about tradition, atmosphere and getting fans singing, not what the current most streamed song is. Those clubs that do pre-match well all play songs that are years old.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Prefer songs that get the blood pumping, Wonder of You is a bit of a dirge, it's not really something to gee anyone up, need more upbeat music

Cafe Del Mar was good but dance music doesn't go down well with the traditionalists
CDM is a great tune and works well but people don’t join in though. Personally I’d have songs that are more likely to get people using their voices. As long as it’s not sweet bloody Caroline.

bigwolf

Reaction score
What is this obsession with having an anthem that is 'ours'.

I'll throw in the Rainbow theme tune.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reminds me of Graham Taylor. No thanks.

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Older fans will also remember late 60s and 70s the post match music belting out. 'Stars and Stripes Forever' Younger fans will know it as the 'Hear we Go' tune. Could do with reviving that, I used to love it.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasnt at the game so cant really comment but in that clip i couldnt hear the fans singing at all lol just loud speakers
Its been going round since the 60s and was sung a lot at that time but died out in the 90s and since,i think its decent enough but Those were the Days was always sung way louder

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Love Wonder of You as pre match music.

Also love Liquidator and Fanfare For The Common Man

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its ****.....like a lot of the other tunes some are harking for , Fanfare for the common Man , Simply the Best , The Happy Wanderer. all cheesy and from a bygone era when the team was also **** (apart from Bully) , and do nothing for atmosphere . Were not all over 75 and should be staying more current and progressive so the younger fans can associate with the match day experience as well ........What next , lets have only Wagon Wheels and Bovril at half time ........:tongueclosed:

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don't need to be old to like Elvis. I'm 38 so I've not quite ordered my coffin yet and I like it. If there's something more modern and current year that can work then fine. I don't know any Ed Sheeran songs though so someone will have to help me out there.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
The Smith's song is so depressing...

Everything else no problem whatsoever.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its ****.....like a lot of the other tunes some are harking for , Fanfare for the common Man , Simply the Best , The Happy Wanderer. all cheesy and from a bygone era when the team was also **** (apart from Bully) , and do nothing for atmosphere . Were not all over 75 and should be staying more current and progressive so the younger fans can associate with the match day experience as well ........What next , lets have only Wagon Wheels and Bovril at half time ........:tongueclosed:
Well come on lad lets hear your suggestions for the next generation,im only 73 btw lol

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
"You'll Never Walk Alone" is a show tune from the 1945 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Carousel.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** tradition, eh?

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
The Smith's song is so depressing...

Everything else no problem whatsoever.
I didn't follow the logic here either, unless we were playing it as they were Mancunian and we were playing Liverpool. I doubt that much thought went into it though, more like someone had downloaded 'now that's what I call dad rock '

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love this song and I would love it being played pre match

Freeport wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was played pre match. From memory we went on a long run of unbeaten games at Molineux. The song was first used around the time of the start of the unbeaten sequence. It then continued even after the run ended.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Wonder of You works just before kick off as a good singalong.

The Happy Wanderer made me cringe as a kid as still does now, it is stuck in the crackling tannoy age of Everton’s Grand ol’ Team, reminds me of Tony Blackburn, miner’s strikes, powercuts, bread shortages And the lingering stench of Banks’s farts.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"The Wonder of You" has been a Port Vale anthem for many moons. Arsenal and Ross County have a version too I believe.

Re yesterday, was happy not to have the goal music as we made enough din as it was.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep don't mind it, but as others have said, it wouldn't really be 'our' anthem given Port Vale, Arsenal etc.

I really want us to start playing Tears For Fears again at the final whistle of games we've won. Appreciate it became a Nuno thing but after a couple of very meh years it feels like we're on to something again.

Actually struggled to listen to it for a while after he left, particularly given the piano version that was used on his leaving video. As sad as that sounds. But I've been listening to it again lately!

Noticed Arsenal have started playing it this season but they can get stuffed.

Sutton

Reaction score
Agree we should play this before every home game. Was great to hear on Saturday.

When it came on though my kids just looked at me and said what is this song - can tell we have not played it enough as they have been going for years!!

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it’s been said many times before but I simply cannot understand why the club chooses not to celebrate the relationship it has with Robert Plant. I’m not particularly a fan of theirs but I can imagine the sound and impact of Whole Lotta Love banging out, particularly knowing it is literally sung by a massive Wolves fan. I realise it’s not a singalong and is not current, but I think it would generate huge atmosphere and be very relevant to Wolves.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it’s been said many times before but I simply cannot understand why the club chooses not to celebrate the relationship it has with Robert Plant. I’m not particularly a fan of theirs but I can imagine the sound and impact of Whole Lotta Love banging out, particularly knowing it is literally sung by a massive Wolves fan. I realise it’s not a singalong and is not current, but I think it would generate huge atmosphere and be very relevant to Wolves.

We walk out to Kashmir by Led Zeppelin.

I think we go back to the older songs / classics as a lot of todays music is pretty ****.
My lads (20 and 25) liked the playlist on Saturday but that's because I schooled them in good music as they grew up and I also made sure they supported Wolves. I had that cross to bare for years so I didn't see why they should get away with supporting a successful club.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tears for Fears was played but half the ground had emptied. Good song but wasn't it just our old chairman's favourite song about 3 years ago?
It was played just after Quo, which I'm like a stuck record just has no place at Molineux. Noone sings along.

Slow version of Those were the days
Wonder of You
Liquidator

Back
Top Bottom