Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The OMG what a day Southampton verdict thread

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The result was important, the performance showed great tactical awareness from Lopetegui. For all the people saying Cunha was poor, i thought he worked his socks off in that first half and just ran out of steam with us having 10 men.

We regrouped at half time and using Adama was the perfect sub when playing with 10 men.

The ref was disgusting. We have had some bad ones, but this bloke went up a level.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing to improve on - Kilman needs to cut the weekly clanger out of his game ASAP. Beat by a simple long ball last week and then he almost gifted Southampton one today with a poor pass back to Sa. Needs to be better.

Also, MOTD not showing Gillett in a positive light. Really wanted the centre of attention today, didn't he?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing to improve on - Kilman needs to cut the weekly clanger out of his game ASAP. Beat by a simple long ball last week and then he almost gifted Southampton one today with a poor pass back to Sa. Needs to be better.

Also, MOTD not showing Gillett in a positive light. Really wanted the centre of attention today, didn't he?

Collins is the same. Both potentially top players, but they have become error prone.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Check Neto sprinting across the pitch to celebrate too. Love it!

Surprised he ( Neto) wasn't given a red card!
Gillet was abysmal, always was, always will be.

Thought it was gonna be " one of those days" we've all become accustomed to over the years but to come back and win that could be the defining moment of the season.

Nathan Jones needs a bigger track suit...... you may have been the " fittest player in the world" once upon a time but your body is catching up to your head.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t see the game but watching the replay of Joao’s goal
Sarabia nudges one of the Southampton players into another who is tracking back to challenge.
really clever way of taking two players out of the game and creating the overload

I actually thought that would go to VAR and they'd disallow the goal..... looked pretty blatant.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So maybe our lack of goals wasn't just down to the lack of a (Proper) forward that was peddled on here so aggressively by a few....

Maybe it was addressing the build up play to be quicker, more aggressive etc and maybe lopetugui was right to recruit and coach this ......just a thought.......

We had a ( Proper) forward on in the 2nd half.... he didnt score but Costa made a huge difference.
A striker should still be a priority in the summer.

I do agree about moving the ball quicker.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually thought that would go to VAR and they'd disallow the goal..... looked pretty blatant.
Me as well.

I didnt celebrate the goal much at all at the time, but I've replayed the video of it about a hundred times now...

Reactions: Ian
D

Deleted member (smith)

One huge difference (to our prior pre JLO performances) 9is the use of substitutes ….we bought 6 new players to add to the squad. And instead of being knackered and a man down after 70 minutes we had quality fresh legs.

I think Semedo and aitnouri were substituted because of the card happy ref ….but the other three subs were attacking options that Southampton could not match.and we have Neto, B Traore and Hwang return.

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they'd have to have given him a red card for the goal to be disallowed. And that was not red card worthy even if it was blatant.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One huge difference (to our prior pre JLO performances) 9is the use of substitutes ….we bought 6 new players to add to the squad. And instead of being knackered and a man down after 70 minutes we had quality fresh legs.

I think Semedo and aitnouri were substituted because of the card happy ref ….but the other three subs were attacking options that Southampton could not match.and we have Neto, B Traore and Hwang return.
I agree about RAN, but also think Bueno is a little more predictable for Lopetegui when down a man.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got back home from Southampton. What a day! My 8 year-old son was the Wolves mascot today. His first match was a year ago and now he’s now seen 4 matches and 4 wins. Players were great with him and the Southampton staff were excellent too.

Only negative was the Idiots kicking off after Lemina’s sending off who went on to knock a lady straight off her seat and kick my son while “celebrating” Gomes winner. Thanks to the kind Wolves fan who swapped seats with us and gave my son some pocket money to buy some sweets when he saw him crying.
I've been to a lot of sports games in my life. I've had way too many drinks at some and been completely sober at some. I've been filled with excitement through my entire body. But never once have I let that hurt someone else's enjoyment of the game. I'll never understand people like that. Wish those kind of folks would stay in a single pub designated for them.

Hope your lad enjoyed the win and his sweets.

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perfect substitutions from Julen when down to 10 men.

Traore firstly who when he's on the ball, always draws an extra man on to him and second Costa who kept both central defenders occupied.

At times in the last half hour it looked like we had the extra man!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jones went from an overly confident BTEC Roy Keane to a lost puppy so quickly so fast hahahaha

And put that ref back on the first flight to Oz….

Our refs are **** enough, we don’t need theirs too….

But we’ll done to those on the pitch in the second half, and massive get in me babie to Joao Gomes!!!
BTEC roy keane has amused me more than it should!!
not much else to add, apart from the referee is clearly out of his depth. shambolic

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reminded me of the Bristol City away game . Haven't celebrated the equaliser as much as that before for a very long time.Away support was immense ; went abit quiet first half but second half wow.
Neves my MOM. Great to see Bueno back in the team gives us the energy down the wing.
Still undecided on Cunha think he would do well playing off a central striker like Silva.
Saints player Sulemana looks a find he will stay in the Premier league whatever happens to Saints

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from that Sulaymania, Southampton are a poor poor poor team. I get why their fans want the manager gone but I think most managers would struggle with that group of players. Absolutely no leadership in their team at all.
JWP does appear when there’s a dead ball..!

rubyloo

Reaction score
Proves we have a great squad now. Brilliant to have all those options off the bench. Just need to start reeling in a few of those above us now (particularly forest!!!) . As someone else said, would absolutely love it Costa could get a goal- maybe next week?

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
7 Sa. Was generally untroubled but made a good save from Kilmans error. Couldn’t do much about their goal.

6. Semedo. Better second half but never looked 100% comfortable.

7. Dawson. Solid and dependable.

6. Killman. Played well but had a near disastrous loss in concentration that could have seen the game get away from us.

6. Ait-Nouri - See Semedo.

6. Nunes. Near impossible to get off the ball when on it and drives us upfield like a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow but then makes some such basic mistakes that you ask yourself are you watching the same player?

N/A. Lemina. Sent off in one of the strangest decisions ever by a Premier League referee.

8. Neves. World Class. One pull down and crossfield pass was one of the greatest passes in football history, even better than that pass he played to Helda Costa when we were in the Chump, (that’s now the second greatest pass in football history). I know the odds seem against it but I hope that we can somehow get him to agree to stay for a another few years.

6. Moutinho. Couldn’t influence the game.

7. Sarabia. The guy is a master technician but also has guts and fight. A bit early to say but he looks like a very good signing, maybe we’ve finally replaced Jota.

6. Cunha. Very mobile and put in a lot of hard work to lead the line, not his day but I it’ll come.

7. Bueno. Not on long but his cross for our first goal was simply brilliant.

8. Adama. Gets +1 for forcing the goal. Was a threat and helped turn the game. Part of me says , sign up for another few years and see what happens.

7. Costa. Caused Southampton problems and held the ball up. Was a big nuisance. Did well.

11. Joao Gomes. MOM. One of the best debuts for a Wolves player in years. Comes on, tears around the pitch putting tackles on anything that moves and then wins the ball in midfield before curling it around the keeper for the winner. Scenes of utter delirium in the away end ensue. Kid is a legend already.

6 Jonny. Didn’t have much to do.

9. Lopetegui. Brilliant. Made the right decisions at the right time. We have an elite level manager leading us.

Overall: We weren’t in full control of the game but the way we passed the ball around and fought back from a goal down to win it reminded me of peak Nuno. Players all look happy and aligned. Again too early to get carried away but with Lopetegui in charge and the top class additions we made in Jan, we now look a very decent side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom