Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Next Three Games

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Our next three games are WHU, Norwich and Burnley. Assuming our wafer-thin squad (thanks, Jeff) doesn’t get decimated by injuries on international duty, I think they’ll tell us a lot.

No doubt by the time we play them Norwich will have the love-child of Pep, Klopp and God in charge, but we know exactly what we’re going to get from WHU and Burnley. After yesterday people were rightly critical of the players’ mentality and Bruno’s tactics and substitutions. Well, WHU and Burnley are exams where we know the questions before we sit down to write and if Bruno gets the set-up wrong – much as I’m prepared to give him time with his own players – it raises a big question mark.

Interesting times. For me it’s Boly at the back and Saiss in midfield against Burnley – we have to counter their physical threat.

Last edited:

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Played them off the park at their place. Sat back for 5 mins and then we had a Dean moment...

Can be done.
Oh yes I agree but too often we get bullied by their forwards ,and defenders at set pieces .We lack physicality in key areas .

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I think we’re capable of getting a really good points total but also we could get very little. West Ham will be a really difficult match, but they can be beaten. Norwich away, like you say Bacon it will be about their new manager, and then Burnley is always a horrible watch. If we got a point off West Ham then pinched a couple of scrappy 1-0s of Burnley and Norwich I’d be really happy with that.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our next three games are WHU, Norwich and Burnley. Assuming our wafer-thin squad (thanks, Jeff) doesn’t get decimated by injuries on international duty, I think they’ll tell us a lot.

No doubt by the time we play them Norwich will have the love-child of Pep, Klopp and God in charge, but we know exactly what we’re going to get from WHU and Burnley. After yesterday people were rightly critical of the players’ mentality and Bruno’s tactics and substitutions. Well, WHU and Burnley are exams where we know the questions before we sit down to write and if Bruno gets the set-up wrong – much as I’m prepared to give him time with his own players – it raises a big question mark.

Interesting times. For me it’s Boly at the back and Saiss in midfield against Burnley – we have to counter their physical threat.
I fear that we will be lucky to get three points and will come out of those games with many more question marks over Lage.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Played them off the park at their place. Sat back for 5 mins and then we had a Dean moment...

Can be done
Unfortunately since then we've had 2 complete horror displays against them. They just batter us with their physicality, and after yesterday's showing against a physical team I'm not overly hopeful about our next meeting with them.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I think we’re capable of getting a really good points total but also we could get very little. West Ham will be a really difficult match, but they can be beaten. Norwich away, like you say Bacon it will be about their new manager, and then Burnley is always a horrible watch. If we got a point off West Ham then pinched a couple of scrappy 1-0s of Burnley and Norwich I’d be really happy with that.
I just want us to play a bit more on the front foot like we did for 30 minutes on Monday .I had a belly full of sitting in last season,with barely a shot on target and hardly any first half goals .
I realise it depends on who we are playing and whether it is home or away but I want to go out to win when we can .

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Unfortunately since then we've had 2 complete horror displays against them. They just batter us with their physicality, and after yesterday's showing against a physical team I'm not overly hopeful about our next meeting with them.
I agree and as Bruno can’t sign anyone I hope he gets his team and tactics absolutely spot on

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno's best quality (until last season) was that we always seemed to follow up a defeat with a victory.

Nunos loss sequences in the first two premier League seasons:

LDW
LLLDLLW
LDW
LLW
LW
LW
LDW
LDDDLLDW
LW
LLDW
LDDW
LLW

Loss sequences: 12
Losses immediately followed by a win: 3
Longest streak without a win: 7 games

Losses: 21
Losses followed by wins: 6
Losses followed by draws: 8
Losses followed by losses: 7

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nunos loss sequences in the first two premier League seasons:

LDW
LLLDLLW
LDW
LLW
LW
LW
LDW
LDDDLLDW
LW
LLDW
LDDW
LLW

Loss sequences: 12
Losses immediately followed by a win: 3
Longest streak without a win: 7 games

Losses: 21
Losses followed by wins: 6
Losses followed by draws: 8
Losses followed by losses: 7
Wow! That's excellent research and proves me wrong! Also shows how perceived knowledge can be influenced by emotion.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always have nightmares about being bullied by Burnley .Rarely are we able to counter what they come up with
You say that but I remember one game we beat them 1-0 but had something like 30 attempts. It’s because we kept hold of the ball well that day, pass and move abd Burnley struggle

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
You say that but I remember one game we beat them 1-0 but had something like 30 attempts. It’s because we kept hold of the ball well that day, pass and move abd Burnley struggle
I did say rarely and yes we did but we all know what’s coming over the horizon

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more about Saiss in midfield. Trincao is too lightweight which leaves us with the enigma that is Adama.
Where do we fit Podence in the setup ?

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more about Saiss in midfield.

Saiss in midfield is the answer to the question nobody asked.

Our midfield is too slow and ponderous as it is, nobody moves with the ball. Stick three men on us, two cutting passing options, the third pressing, rotate to ensure they don't get tired, and we're done.

None of our current midfield options can change that weakness.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss in midfield is the answer to the question nobody asked.

Our midfield is too slow and ponderous as it is, nobody moves with the ball. Stick three men on us, two cutting passing options, the third pressing, rotate to ensure they don't get tired, and we're done.

None of our current midfield options can change that weakness.
Saiss will add more bite though. Teams wouldn't steamroller us.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barring injuries I just don't think Lage will change anything bar the Traore, Podence, Trincao switch-about. He seems stuck on the 6 defenders the 2 mfs and the 2 attackers. He says he looks at different options for different opponents but it does all look very samey to me. Tbf to him he isn't blessed with a range of options on the bench. I'd like to get at least 2 wins from these 3 games but seeing WHU today you have to think they will have too much for us all over the park. We can and should beat Norwich but Burnley is a tricky one for us. Which Wolves team will turn up? The 1st half Everton Wolves or the Palace Wolves? Pretty much the same players but a million miles apart. Until Lage can get some consistency (and creativity) we will continue to flip flop from game to game.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's add "bite" into midfield when we know that Burnley's route 1 football bypasses it.
It does, but there are always 'second balls' to compete for from their forwards' knock downs. We were sadly lacking in that department yesterday.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Teams steamroll us because of our lack of mobility.

Saiss, the only human with a turning circle larger than the evergiven, isn't going to change that.
Similar to Coady. They have to make sure the game is in front of them at all times, as they aren't going to turn round and get back with any speed. Unfortunately , much the same applies to our three remaining midfielders. Could explain what we are seeing most of the time, especially against decent opponents who know how to exploit it?

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me but my recollection of how we played under Nuno, until lockdown was on the front foot, high press, possession football, which was for the vast majority of the time, fantastic to watch.

Then all of a sudden, we seemed to come back after lockdown with a totally different look and strategy. I know we have changed a few players here and there but Jota aside, most would be considered upgrades.

Then at the start of this season under Bruno, we seemed to be right back to playing that free flowing style again, it didn’t quite go our way so we reverted back to safety.

That’s fine to get a few points on the board and employ that tactic against certain teams but I think when we play teams like Burnley and Norwich we should play as we did for the first 3 games. We have the players to be all over teams like that but we give them too much respect, sit back and allow then into the game. It’s a bit frustrating at times tbh.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley is the big one for me.
If we lose to them , then we must sort out the lack of physicality in our midfield .
We cannot have teams that struggle to win at this level regularly beating us by brute strength.
We have taken one point off West Brom , Burnley and Brentford in the last 5 meetings with those clubs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ned

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously we expect and need 3 points from Norwich but we start as underdogs against West Ham (who play our kryptonite formation with kryptonite types of player) and Burnley can go either way depending on how high up the pitch we decide to play.

I’ll snap your hands off for 5 points after yesterday.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One game at a time sweet Jesus is all I'm asking from you. After the Hammers victory against the scousers today, they'll be on the up and up, so only seeing that game. Can't wait to bring them crashing down to earth with a massive Molineux bump! Hopefully Bruno sends the boys out like he did against Everton, rather that the negative approach he adopts in away games. Wouldn't be able to do that at Molineux anyway cos the crowd will let them know and get the firing!

Huyton W88lvo

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Norwich played us off the park first half last time we were there and should’ve been 4 up at half time but we’re only 1 up . We turned it round second half to win 1-2 but it was a very tough game . I know we are in for 3 very hard games

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
West Ham - Lose - Soucek and Rice to just walk through Moutinho and Neves holding and swigging a glass of ale in both hands. Antonio to bully Coady. Zouma to bully Raul.

Norwich - Win - No matter who is in charge, if we can't get past McLean, Gibson and Krul, whilst conceding to Pukki and Sargent then I will despair. We are so much bigger and stronger than them it should not even need to be a hard fought victory. Coady and Kilman headers plus Moutinho's one goal this year.

Burnley - Win - The acid test of the Lage regime so far though. We all know what's coming and he needs to play his most progressive football to counter their direct play. If he gets it wrong, it may be the first time I start to worry about his longevity. Hwang to find the pockets of space and we win comfortably.

22 points after 14 games really would be a great haul though and would set us up for the pressure to be off for the games against the big boys over the tough winter period.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom