Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly sorry, but I think you are showing a bit of delusional Wolves behaviour here. Brighton and Southampton probably don’t see us as being much better than them now, if at all. Brighton waltz past us at Molineux last season. They get similar crowds.

Jota would have asked for a transfer of his move to Liverpool had not been sanctioned, Traore won’t resign with us.

But I think others show typical Wolves cynicism. The glass doesn't always need to be half empty.

We also beat Brighton last season too!

Maybe the truth is somewhere in between, which incidentally would probably still be above Brighton's level.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe last season was the “good season” as I think most agree the points haul was better than the performances deserved.

Maybe, but it's below our average, which suggests otherwise.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Free agents

If we’re that skint we should consider signing a free agent or two I say it every year.

Juan Mata could do a very good job for someone still. Most Man United fans think he's been criminally underused for the past few seasons.

Yes, he's not fast, but he carries the ball better than all our current midfield and probably still creates more than most of our forward thinking players.

Could be an option as one of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1, or a third midfielder in a 4-3-3.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Free agents

If we’re that skint we should consider signing a free agent or two I say it every year.

How's Isco these days? Kind of shocking to see he's now 30 as seems just yesterday he was a youthful sensation going to be the next big thing. Was brilliant for Malaga and had some good times at Real, too. Though maybe never quite fulfilled that early potential.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is part of the issue. A couple of seasons of playing under par and our players are cast off as being no good by a lot of our fans.

We have a squad full of players all who are either guaranteed to go to the World Cup (Neves, Moutinho, Hwang, Raul) and players who could be in with a chance having been called up to recent squads (Sa, Coady, Semedo, Jonny, Traore, Dendoncker, Neto, Podence).

Compare that to Brighton. How many seasoned internationals do they have? How many players will they have at the World Cup?

We have had 4 PL seasons with an average finishing position of 9.25 and a range of 7th-13th.

Brighton have had 5 PL seasons with an average finishing position of 14.4 and a range of 9th to 17th.

We are currently in the Deloitte money league for the first time, meaning we are classed as one of the 20 most valuable football clubs in the World.

In terms of overall player quality, average league position and club size and stature, we are undoubtedly a level up!

Just need a good season again for people to see what's there. We are due one.
I'm not casting our players off as being no good. I don't really see the relevance of Internationals, if Dunk was South Korean or Mexican I'm sure he'd be going to the World Cup, too. Those stats on league positions tells me one thing - we're both mid-table sides. Club size and stature I will give you, 100%. But to use all of this to say that a "£10-20m level of player is easier to attract for Brighton than it is for us now" is an odd thing to say, imo.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That £10-20m level of player is easier to attract for Brighton than it is for us now.

Every one of those players plays almost every week for Brighton. They have been given that platform to showcase their abilities, with the end goal of progressing beyond Brighton.

We are the level up from that now.

Every one of those players doesn't get in our starting XI automatically. So they don't get the same platform week in, week out, that they do at Brighton.

I think it's partly why we have altered the approach of looking for breakthrough Portuguese talent at source. Chiquinho and Gomes were picked up relatively cheap before they'd had their transfers to the big Portuguese clubs.

For us, it's probably that kind of transfer, youth players to develop, or ready made first teamers. Unlikely that we ever really shop in the same pool as Brighton in my opinion.

Brighton finished ahead of us last season. Only goal difference. We were 4 points ahead of them the season before. I'd say we are at about the same level as them. Those days of us finishing 7th are long gone, now. If Neves, Neto etc want to get into Europe, the fastest way is to leave us, because we are still far off it. We are their platform and they will move on when they want actual trophies.

If what you say about the difference between our players is true, then Brighotn are really outperforming us. Or we are underperforming. But I don't think it is quite right. Based on interest from other clubs on our players, again, seems about the same as Brighton. 2 or 3 that the Big 6 would like to get , but are not prepared to pay the prices we are asking - which is because those players are worth so much more to us than to them.

TLDR Our current position isn't too different to Brighton. They are one of the closest clubs, possible *the* closest club, to us in overall standing at the moment.

<EDIT> Forgot - for a couple of seasons now, Brighton have also had the problem of defensively sound, but simply not able to score.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One factor influencing the decision is the opinion of the players's partner re the club's location. Not the only factor, far from it, but haven't we lost at least one potential signing because his partner didn't fancy Wolverhampton?

We know that our city has attractive areas within its boundary and in its vicinity, as well as

easy access to orange chips :)

but some other cities - such as Brighton, 60 or so miles from London and on the coast plus close to the continent - can have a more obvious appeal.

Just one factor that can work against us.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And Brighton's only ever top half finish is when they had Bissouma and Cucarella. One who has gone, the other to soon follow.
True but having watched them they create loads of chances. If they get a half decent forward they could improve significantly. Bit like us with and without pre-injury Raul.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not casting our players off as being no good. I don't really see the relevance of Internationals, if Dunk was South Korean or Mexican I'm sure he'd be going to the World Cup, too. Those stats on league positions tells me one thing - we're both mid-table sides. Club size and stature I will give you, 100%. But to use all of this to say that a "£10-20m level of player is easier to attract for Brighton than it is for us now" is an odd thing to say, imo.

But only because I don't think we are shopping in that £10-20m pool any more.

From various things that have been said, the club's strategy is now clearly along the lines....

1) First team ready - i.e. better or equivalent to what we have or direct replacements (Semedo, Sa)
2) High potential youth prospect (Fabio, Neto, Ait-Nouri)
3) Low fee, pre-breakout punts (Chiquinho, Gomes, Mosquera)

Probably the only Brighton signing that would fall into these categories would be Cucarella maybe as first team ready? Rumoured to have cost them £16m, which puts him in that £10-20m bracket.

Their strategy seems more about filling the squad with players who all fit into that £10-20m category (Bissouma, Cucarella, Mwepu, Webster, Maupay, Trossard, Proper. etc.) in the hope that some of them come good.

Some of those players have since developed into players who we now might see as first team ready as equivalents to what we have, but they weren't anywhere near that when they were first signed by Brighton. And they arguably wouldn't have got the same game time here to get to that level.

That's the point I was trying to make.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One factor influencing the decision is the opinion of the players's partner re the club's location. Not the only factor, far from it, but haven't we lost at least one potential signing because his partner didn't fancy Wolverhampton?

We know that our city has attractive areas within its boundary and in its vicinity, as well as

easy access to orange chips :)

but some other cities - such as Brighton, 60 or so miles from London and on the coast plus close to the continent - can have a more obvious appeal.

Just one factor that can work against us.
Unfortunately you’re right.
Mind you, our performances last season might make an ambitious talented player have second thoughts about signing.
And the fact that Bruno is still here might also indicate an unwillingness to change.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"We know Frenkie de Jong has been Manchester United's priority target, but with the deal dragging on, alternatives will come into play and one of the names we know they have looked at and have been interested in is Ruben Neves of Wolves.

"There is a long-standing interest from the Old Trafford club because of his stylistic profile, incredible passing range, a threat in terms of goalscoring and he controls the tempo really well - all the things you want in an anchor in a progressive side.

"We know Wolves value him upwards of £60m. They wouldn't want to lose him necessarily, but United have to start considering the fact the longer the De Jong saga drags on with no resolution between him and Barcelona, what else can be done?"

From Sky Sports. Nothing new but hope we've got a replacement lined up if it happens (lol)

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"We know Frenkie de Jong has been Manchester United's priority target, but with the deal dragging on, alternatives will come into play and one of the names we know they have looked at and have been interested in is Ruben Neves of Wolves.

"There is a long-standing interest from the Old Trafford club because of his stylistic profile, incredible passing range, a threat in terms of goalscoring and he controls the tempo really well - all the things you want in an anchor in a progressive side.

"We know Wolves value him upwards of £60m. They wouldn't want to lose him necessarily, but United have to start considering the fact the longer the De Jong saga drags on with no resolution between him and Barcelona, what else can be done?"

From Sky Sports. Nothing new but hope we've got a replacement lined up if it happens (lol)

The replacement was Palhinha and seeing that we supposedly don't work with secondary targets, I'd be quite worried who we'd bring in by then...

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Dang, wish this story would die and Neves stays.
However, with the season just days away, and no comments from Neves or Wolves regarding a commitment to Wolves, at least for one more season, is it reasonable to assume that Ruben will leave if he likes the personal terms offered by United. ( I’m presuming that Wolves and United would easily agree on a price).?

Are he and his wife getting frustrated at this point?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given his history to rarely 'toe the party line' in his press conferences, I think Wolves know full well how bad that would go for them if they let him speak right now.
Agree..
He will speak soon though, in his prematch conference.
I hope he gives it the full "Marco Silva " treatment.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dang, wish this story would die and Neves stays.
However, with the season just days away, and no comments from Neves or Wolves regarding a commitment to Wolves, at least for one more season, is it reasonable to assume that Ruben will leave if he likes the personal terms offered by United. ( I’m presuming that Wolves and United would easily agree on a price).?

Are he and his wife getting frustrated at this point?
I'm sure he would leave in a second if United did make an offer despite what many on here try to say about them.

I would also presume the price wouldn't be an issue. United will be under so much pressure to buy if they miss out on De Jong (talk of Chelsea wanting him now) then they'd have to save face and act quickly, which would be a positive for us.

I personally don't know why Neves would agree to signing a new deal, as he could leave for a cut-price next summer. It's for that reason I would happily sell this summer unless we could agree a contract but I see that as a real long shot.

As you say though, wish it would happen quickly but suspect it will drag on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom