Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think looking at training there is a massive emphasis, on him being more of a goal scoring threat, improving his finishing and ball carrying

In other words, we're not buying the midfielder with that exact skillset, even though we badly need it.

I do rate Dendoncker, ad a defensive midfielder that is. Breaking up play, then leave it to others to create
Lage tried to use him as an attacking threat last season, with him ofte making the forward runs from midfield.
It didn't with work, because has neither the pace or the technical ability.

But hey, let's try it again. I'm sure preseason will turn him into our very own Nunes..

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd have lingard on more sensible terms. Give it a couple of months; noone is gonna give him what he wants.

R

reanswolf

People pleading desperately for us to sign a midfielder with 'legs' and 'energy' but in the same breath happy to call Dendoncker ****e.

Crikey, we'd be much worse off without having him as an option. He's not in the side to score goals but the fact he does means people slag him when he misses chances. He's not the best midfielder in the league but he's great at pressuring opponents and breaking up play, nicking the ball off them and recycling. I remember posting towards the end of last season we scored about four goals in three games from him legging it down to the corner flag to latch onto a hopeless ball and play the ball back towards the edge of the box.

Funny old world. People never happy.
Sorry Sketchead, I usually agree with you but not on this. Very rarely see him get the ball off anyone. Passing backward, shooting dire, creativity dire, tackling very rare.

I feel We need to upgrade him but ok as a squad player.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean the Leicester that broke the Big 6 monopoly by winning the Prem or the Leicester that finished above us the last three seasons?
He probably means (and correct me if I'm wrong) that we all waxed lyrical over Leicester last season (me more than anyone) but now they're stuck with an old squad on big wages. Think Villa in two years.

Then again, they've won the FA cup and the premier League.

There's not much I wouldn't accept to have seen Wolves win the Premier League!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He probably means (and correct me if I'm wrong) that we all waxed lyrical over Leicester last season (me more than anyone) but now they're stuck with an old squad on big wages. Think Villa in two years.

Me either, bloody legacy fans

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry Sketchead, I usually agree with you but not on this. Very rarely see him get the ball off anyone. Passing backward, shooting dire, creativity dire, tackling very rare.

I feel We need to upgrade him but ok as a squad player.
I think both are right to some degree. He's capable of all of those things, both the good and the bad, but the bad unfortunately has tended to outweigh the good more frequently over time

Planty

Groupie
Reaction score
Mukiele to PSG according to Romano, I suppose he'd have been out of reach for us with no significant sales currently (MGW/Neves)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't we sign Bonatini the day before we opened the season against Boro as well? He scored too.

He was the best striker in the league by a distance until early December. Then became one of the worst. Strange!

Truly strange. Recently watched some highlights of that season again , really noticed how much effort Bonitini put in. Especially in those early games. Lung busting runs supporting Jota and so on. Risking limbs throwing himself at the ball against those Championship hard knocks. No lack of effort. But then it all dropped off for the second half (the effort, not the limbs!). Totally speculation that he isn't one of those naturally gifted players who can play on cruise control. When he gave it the proverbial 110% every match, he could do well. Of course, that was at Championship level though. Having to burning yourself out to do OK in the Championship doesn't bode well for the step up.

Rarely did any spectacular finishes, I think it was all about effort and being in the right place for him. Needed other players to do the providing.

R

reanswolf

I think both are right to some degree. He's capable of all of those things, both the good and the bad, but the bad unfortunately has tended to outweigh the good more frequently over time
Lets hope he is fitter than ever and maybe then he can help us. As he was when up to speed, in his first season.
If we get the Donk of the last 2 seasons (or at least the one that most frequently came to the fore), I fear we will be in trouble.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Mukiele to PSG according to Romano, I suppose he'd have been out of reach for us with no significant sales currently (MGW/Neves)

Think you’re confusing him with Noni Madueke, who is the PSV winger we have been tentatively linked with.

Mukiele is a defender from Leipzig who is going to PSG.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agreed, why aim for the stars and get there? Give me mid table obscurity any day.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean the Leicester that broke the Big 6 monopoly by winning the Prem or the Leicester that finished above us the last three seasons?
More the Leicester that signed too many players they had to pay £40k a week to someone ineligible to play, with a bloated, average squad (they want five players again!) that managed a giant one point higher than us despite our form last year.

R

reanswolf

Agree with that - as a water carrier to just screen the defence, Donk is fine. As a player to support the front two and progress the ball, he’s hopeless.
But that’s the dilemma, we know Neves is better technically as is Mouts. It’s that critical role we need to upgrade.

Andre Almeida (?) looked class on those clips ( which can be notoriously misleading in my opinion)

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But that’s the dilemma, we know Neves is better technically as is Mouts. It’s that critical role we need to upgrade.

Andre Almeida (?) looked class on those clips ( which can be notoriously misleading in my opinion)
No news on almeida, porto were heavily linked still not moved, vitoria are in europa conference tomorrow, so let see how he plays/if he plays

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of interest - who was it that reported being in the pub with Sellars where he divulged our summer transfer strategy?

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No news on almeida, porto were heavily linked still not moved, vitoria are in europa conference tomorrow, so let see how he plays/if he plays

It's a strange one as we were allegedly in for him, and then porto, it's not like porto don't have the money from the two big deals this summer.

Plus he would be first team so bit strange we will see how it develops

Madmalc

Reaction score
People pleading desperately for us to sign a midfielder with 'legs' and 'energy' but in the same breath happy to call Dendoncker ****e.

Crikey, we'd be much worse off without having him as an option. He's not in the side to score goals but the fact he does means people slag him when he misses chances. He's not the best midfielder in the league but he's great at pressuring opponents and breaking up play, nicking the ball off them and recycling. I remember posting towards the end of last season we scored about four goals in three games from him legging it down to the corner flag to latch onto a hopeless ball and play the ball back towards the edge of the box.

I agree with you. If his name was Nunes they'd be raving about him and valuing him at 50m+ Donk 2 goals 2 Assists in a team that scored38 goals Nunes 3 goals and 2 assists in a team that scored 73 goals.
The saying is a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Nunes isn't even 2 in a bush. No one in for him as he hasn't moved.

Last edited:

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree that's he good at exactly what you describe.
However he's not and never will be good at the forward runs, with or without the ball. Neither is he a good finisher
So that's why its a worry that he was sometimes used to run beyond the defence in a more attacking role last season and its a worry I he has to it again this season.

Whether we need another type of CM depends on the system. Play 4231, and it can be argued that Dendoncker and Neves are good enough for the two CM roles, with an attacking midfielder (MGW? Podence?) then providing the forward runs.

Play 352 and he could be effective as a DM, with two Cm's in front of him. But then that midfield pairing need to be Neves/Moutinho and a new CM able to do those forward runs.

If we play our usual 523/343 I don't he's that effective, because in such a defensive formation, you need both Cm's to be able to play both ways. Otherwise its way too easy to defend against.

No matter what I do think we need another CM, as I don't believe Cundle is ready and I can only see Ronan and MGW being used further forward.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s true. If he had some creativity in addition to that he’s be a top player.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, it's that easy, just like Everton, spend spend spend and ...

Just avoid relegation
We spent spent spent to get the players we have now, if we don’t spend how do we improve the squad, or even just keep it ticking over? I don’t get the comments about spending bad, not spending will be even worse for us

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We spent spent spent to get the players we have now, if we don’t spend how do we improve the squad, or even just keep it ticking over? I don’t get the comments about spending bad, not spending will be even worse for us
Agreed. I'd love us to spend big, but at least this window I think we have a net outlay, with (hopefully) more to come.

R

reanswolf

So we’ve gone from during the last season when watching games that we definitely need an upgrade on Donk feeling he is slow and ineffective at virtually everything, to now being that good enough Belgian Intetnational again, who is simply a victim of circumstance.

Of course I appreciate that it is hard to generalise because there are hundreds of different posters, but that was the majority view.

I accept it is harsh because he is always seen very much as the 3rd best CM even behind 36-year old Mouts, but that 3rd CM option must be a different type of CM, that’s the sticking point.

Otherwise I fear it won’t take long for us to return to sterile, boring, immobile, unconvincing football such as Wolves 1 Norwich 1.
As for Donk being good at defending? Are people having a laugh? Don't you remember the West Ham goal when Lingard skipped past him and Saiss to score what was described as a potential goal of the season......except it wasn't. Sadly Saiss and Donk are probably the two easiest players to go round given a bit of space. It was like the waves parting. Don't convince yourself he is good at defending either, I watched him closely most of last season and he just chases shadows most of the time. Unless he really ups his game, which I hope he does. He was that bad last season, even the Express and Star were scoring him 3's. His stats are appalling in virtually every aspect of midfield play.

I would be happy to be proven wrong but I really don’t think we can just paper over such obvious deficiencies as this. Yet again.

Last edited by a moderator:

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have won as many Premier League titles as we have.

Precisely none.

And where did they finish last season? Above us?

I was talking about Leicester, which was the whole conversation before you randomly threw Everton in.

As for Everton, last season was the first in 18 seasons where they finished below 12th. 4th x 1, 5th x 3, 6th x 2, 7th x 3 and 8th x 3 so hardly the horror story people try and promote.

Back
Top Bottom