Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't we sign Bonatini the day before we opened the season against Boro as well? He scored too.

He was the best striker in the league by a distance until early December. Then became one of the worst. Strange!
Bonatini looked like the next messiah for about 6 games of that season, scoring goals for fun

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No keeper/player that has ever played in the prem, ever played in the prem before they played in the prem.

How do you think all the other keepers that have ever played in the league managed?

Experience of playing in the premier league is nice to have but it's really not essential, especially not for a backup keeper.
How many number two goal keepers in this league have played at this level or top leagues in Europe.

Just saying if we get injuries then someone who has never played at this level will be our first choice .

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

How many number two goal keepers in this league have played at this level or top leagues in Europe.

Just saying if we get injuries then someone who has never played at this level will be our first choice .
So what?
City's back up never did over the last 3 years & their one this year. It is goalkeeping. No interest in wasting money on a backup when salary bill is tight

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He's nowhere near as bad as people make out, he looks awkward but there were plenty of games he was as effective as Moutinho. Just looks miles worse.
I'm probably in a minority but think Donk could still be useful for us. Yes he was poor last season but if we used him as we should be i.e. as a defensive midfielder he'd be fine, not much different to Palinha imo. Stop trying to shoehorn him into an attacking or ball carrying midfield position is my view.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm probably in a minority but think Donk could still be useful for us. Yes he was poor last season but if we used him as we should be i.e. as a defensive midfielder he'd be fine, not much different to Palinha imo. Stop trying to shoehorn him into an attacking or ball carrying midfield position is my view.
I think looking at training there is a massive emphasis, on him being more of a goal scoring threat, improving his finishing and ball carrying

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't we sign Bonatini the day before we opened the season against Boro as well? He scored too.

He was the best striker in the league by a distance until early December. Then became one of the worst. Strange!
Shame we didn't cash him in that Jan window, hindsights a mother ****er tho lol

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So what?
City's back up never did over the last 3 years & their one this year. It is goalkeeping. No interest in wasting money on a backup when salary bill is tight
How many keepers have played at that level though . In case of injury or suspension .

I am stating the point that like many areas we are left thin on the ground . Which has not been addressed in seasons not just this window .

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
andre almeida, still hasnt gone to porto, vitoria are due to play europa conference league tomorrow. Interesting if he lines up,

heavy links earlier in the window

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

How many keepers have played at that level though . In case of injury or suspension .

I am stating the point that like many areas we are left thin on the ground . Which has not been addressed in seasons not just this window .
We aren't thin on the ground, we have 3 back up keepers. I'd rather a GK who has played well in the Championship vs a bloke who clearly has failed as a starter else he wouldn't be a backup

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think looking at training there is a massive emphasis, on him being more of a goal scoring threat, improving his finishing and ball carrying
Haven't seen any of the training videos but if that's the case, it makes no sense to me, it's just not in his skill set, just play him in a position that suits him and get in a finisher/ball carrier.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Haven't seen any of the training videos but if that's the case, it makes no sense to me, it's just not in his skill set, just play him in a position that suits him and get in a finisher/ball carrier.
Agree with that - as a water carrier to just screen the defence, Donk is fine. As a player to support the front two and progress the ball, he’s hopeless.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

We've got a back-up keeper who is young and has a decent amount of experience in the championship and by all accounts is very talented.

Why would you swap him for an older, more experienced but probably less talented and more expensive alternative?

If you keep shipping him out because he's got no experience in the prem then it's a waste of everyone's time, he'll never get any. At least a No.2 to Sa he'll get some first team experience and possibly a bit of game time then he can build from there.

There's many positions where we're thin on the ground. I'd argue keeper isn't one of them.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Liverpool’s backup keeper last season, Kelleher, has made a grand total of 4 PL appearances in his career, never played in another league.

Man City’s backup keeper last season, Steffen, has made 2 PL appearances in his career, he has at least played 17 games in the Bundesliga and 84 in the MLS (which is what, Championship level at best?).

Goalkeeper is an area you’ll likely take a chance on someone cheap/inexperienced because the likelihood is they’ll never play.

Not like other positions on the field where you’re covering multiple players, can come off the bench etc, it’s all or nothing with a keeper. It’s a big cost to keep a highly rated, highly paid number 2 who will most likely sit on your bench for the majority, if not all, of the season.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who still have a better squad than us
Leicester v Wolves

They do have a better squad but we have a dramatically younger one.

They are what 4 players heavier than us, but our starting 11s are youd say comparable - but wolves on the ascendency
, Leicester on the decline (player potential)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because we spent loads of money on other players, it went under the radar but Bonatini deal to sign on a perm is one of our worst favours to Uncle Jorge imo
In theory l agree. Of course we have no idea what might have been written into the loan contract (e.g. compulsory purchase if we got promoted).

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we should be trying to get Lingard
Was going to mention it, but why bother, he is going to be demanding big boy wages.

Sky suggester that Forest and west ham leading the race, but other clubs in the prem have offered.

Id expect newcastle, everton and villa.

But maybe we have.

Cant see him fitting into wolves ethos and system, nor could i imagine him wanting to come.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No keeper/player that has ever played in the prem, ever played in the prem before they played in the prem.

How do you think all the other keepers that have ever played in the league managed?

Experience of playing in the premier league is nice to have but it's really not essential, especially not for a backup keeper.
If my memory is correct, a number of posters levelled this concern at Sa last year too. Didn't work out well for those comments....

Back
Top Bottom