Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage wanted MGW to stay in January so presumably has some faith in him and some ideas about how to use him. We have a (relatively) gentle start to the season. Play MGW for the first 6 games (injuries permitting) and see how it goes. Ultimately, if he's not up to scratch we can always sell him in the January window. If he does well, all the easier for him to negotiate a better contract.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do love the bipolar nature of the mix, 12 months ago it was all “if MGW wants to go I’ll drive him there myself”, present day off the back of a decent season in the championship and folk are making out like we’re letting a young Messi leave. Truth is somewhere inbetween and no one can actually say that he can definitely hack it in the premier league
Change tack will you?
I’m getting fed up of agreeing with you.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I posted this earlier, seems worth repeating:

“He hasn’t signed the new contract offered, so what, his team are possibly trying to negotiate for more or waiting until he shows that he is worth more in the first few games of the season.

He wanted to stay at SheffU in Jan, so what, he probably thought he would get more game time there as a starter than at Wolves, nothing wrong with that but this pre-season gives him the opportunity to compete with the other midfielders or strikers on a level playing field.”

Not signing a contract is not proof he want to leave.

Moutinho wanted two years on a new contract but was only offered one, he re-signed eventually.
Exactly!
For all we know MGW might be asking for an unreasonable amount of money or he’s holding out to see if a better offer comes in.
Its just good business. If we were players, we’d all do the same.
Salah too took awhile .

BTW, maybe Wolves consider him worth more than £25m.

To sum up, we really have no idea of what’s going on……………none.

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah but @Cornwall Wolf said this was pretty advanced a few weeks ago. Maybe we are actually pulling the trigger now with the MGW offers rolling in?
Was told 3 weeks ago furthest forward in negotiations but then went deathly quite the agent who told me has heard nothing new ..Porto are interested to replace Vitinha .. good player they only want €9m .. £7.7m .. For gods sake Wolves sign him now he will be worth £20/30m in a season or two .
As for Mario Vušković have spoken to 2 coaches in Bundesliga who reckon he is a great talent but believe he will move fron Bundesliga2 to the Bundesliga

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was told 3 weeks ago furthest forward in negotiations but then went deathly quite the agent who told me has heard nothing new ..Porto are interested to replace Vitinha .. good player they only want €9m .. £7.7m .. For gods sake Wolves sign him now he will be worth £20/30m in a season or two .
As for Mario Vušković have spoken to 2 coaches in Bundesliga who reckon he is a great talent but believe he will move fron Bundesliga2 to the Bundesliga
Still seems like we are miles away from strengthening.

Sigh.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I hazard to ask but other than vuskovic and almeida, any other news about the other couple we were looking at.

Or is it still silence, i cant imagine we want to fly to spain without anything being done

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I hazard to ask but other than vuskovic and almeida, any other news about the other couple we were looking at.

Or is it still silence, i cant imagine we want to fly to spain without anything being done
Only post if I am told anything but all the agents I know say nothing happening but Wolves are very tight lipped ..

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf, we dont know if MGW is going to be able to offer it but its time we found out once and for all if he can. He's at the stage where he's been a bit part player here, had 2 good loan spells. If he's not ready now he never will be. I certainly think he could take the place of Podence. I do rate Podence, but i dont like his theatrics and his injuries are an issue.

Still think not signing Trincao will be a mistake, but you can see why we didnt bother, he didnt do enough. A swap for Adama would have worked imo.
I feel the same about Trincao too which is a tad illogical as he didn’t shine when here. But there was glimpses of greatness.
Of course, maybe he didn’t want to stay with Wolves anyway.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you saying there was tons of due diligence and planning when Silva was signed?
Of course there was.

Businessmen don’t just go out on a whim and plunk €35m down on an unproven player because Jeff saw it in the tea leaves or his barber recommended he should.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

West Ham in advanced talks with Swansea for Downes​

West Ham are in advanced talks with Swansea City over the signing of midfielder Flynn Downes.
Sky Sports News has been told a deal thought to be worth £12million is close to being finalised.
West Ham increasingly confident they can complete the signing.

west ham about to get downes, im feeling taking the rest of july off and seeing if anything occurs, there is no way any links we have in the journos papers etc are real. it will just be signings out of the blue.

Or people linking us for ****s and gigs

Madmalc

Reaction score
There’s no point looking on here until someone gets sold.

MGW leaves. Wolves leak heavily to the press that he wouldn’t sign a new contract despite a ‘fantastic’ offer put down, then we start our business, spending whatever he brings in.
My guess is MGW will either get a fair run in the team before Christmas, in which case he'll sign, or if we get the predictable midfield of the last 3 seasons he'll be off in January.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will be honest I don't get the MGW love in. he went on loan because his performances, Chelsea aside, were pretty ineffectual. he always seemed to me that he was like Bambi on ice. what I saw last season was better. he had developed but he still went missing in games. so, if we want to keep him, then fine but i do not expect fireworks or goals. if we can get £25m i would sell. we can do better for that price.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I posted this earlier, seems worth repeating:

“He hasn’t signed the new contract offered, so what, his team are possibly trying to negotiate for more or waiting until he shows that he is worth more in the first few games of the season.

He wanted to stay at SheffU in Jan, so what, he probably thought he would get more game time there as a starter than at Wolves, nothing wrong with that but this pre-season gives him the opportunity to compete with the other midfielders or strikers on a level playing field.”

Not signing a contract is not proof he want to leave.

Moutinho wanted two years on a new contract but was only offered one, he re-signed eventually.
Thanks, well put.

Madmalc

Reaction score
You can’t extract tiny pieces of data just to serve an argument.

Neves - £15m
Moutinho - £5m
Boly, Jota - £10ishm

Semedo - season derailed when he got injured. Not on him solely. Probably overpaid by £5-£10m - it happens. A good player for us.

Silva - clearly overpaid. A really poor decision for a club that can’t afford to get too many wrong.

There’s this huge middle ground to play in when debating stuff. It’s usually where the interesting debates and nuance lies. We should try and find it more or this place becomes an echo chamber of negativity.

That isn’t helpful for people whose lives evolve around Wolves.
The under 23s team did really well last year, even though most of the under 23s were out on loan. I'm hoping more will break through to the senior squad. As for the rumours about Premier League unknowns costing 30m plus coming in and blocking the youngsters (including MGW), I would be quite happy if there are no incoming transfers at that level.
Unfortunately I don't think either Nunez was, or Lage is into squad rotation, even if there's good competition for all positions. Hopefully Lage will prove me wrong and we'll get less predictable match day teams to cause the opposition some bigger headaches.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW offers flare which we sometimes lack but for 25/30m I would probably sell him with extra add ons and sell on %

His best spells have been away from Wolves…

I’d like a player of a similar standard to replace him which is going to be very hard to find. Same situation for Adama.

It’s all too quiet at the moment. I’m hoping the next 2 weeks actually bring us the 4 new players we need to improve!!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Transfer Update: Wolves defender, Dion Sanderson, has went on loan to Birmingham. Birmingham have also paid a fee of £59k for the loan. His loan expires in May 2023.

fantastic we have money boys!
It might pay the milk bill and that’s about it

L78

Reaction score
I will be honest I don't get the MGW love in. he went on loan because his performances, Chelsea aside, were pretty ineffectual. he always seemed to me that he was like Bambi on ice. what I saw last season was better. he had developed but he still went missing in games. so, if we want to keep him, then fine but i do not expect fireworks or goals. if we can get £25m i would sell. we can do better for that price.
It's alright having the money but by the looks of it nobody wants to come to wolves atm

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s no point looking on here until someone gets sold.

MGW leaves. Wolves leak heavily to the press that he wouldn’t sign a new contract despite a ‘fantastic’ offer put down, then we start our business, spending whatever he brings in.
So for the MGW money we'll be able to buy 75% of a decent player. Doubt you'll see 3 or 4 players on the back of a 20 million departure fee

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fireworks and goals....We day have em last year.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree MGW is a flair player. The problem is in the premier league when you have spells of five or six minutes without the ball and you win possession you need to keep it. You do not want a flair player attempting some fancy flick just before the halfway line that returns the ball to the opposition. This is what I have seen from MGW. In the championship where a side against you returns possession regularly it does'nt matter but in the premier league it does.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do love the bipolar nature of the mix, 12 months ago it was all “if MGW wants to go I’ll drive him there myself”, present day off the back of a decent season in the championship and folk are making out like we’re letting a young Messi leave. Truth is somewhere inbetween and no one can actually say that he can definitely hack it in the premier league

Really? From what I remember of around 12 months ago a lot were praising his performances in pre season and that he had looked one of our brightest players. Also a lot of praise for his performance in the win at Forest in the league cup early in that season. Quite a few on here could see the progression he was clearly making after that pre season and quite a few were surprised when he was loaned out and not replaced.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question is.
Is MGW better than Podence?
As that is the nearest player.

Podence goes down too easy. But the lad can go passed a player. Be flexible middle left or right and statistically we gained more points with Podence on the pitch last season I believe than off it.

Do we need another option to Podence yes is my answer. Is MGW willing to be one of two for us or driving to be a name on team sheet and then come on and rotate with.

I’ve never personally been MGW biggest fan, but I’m not saying he isn’t good it’s just I’m not sure he is good enough. But may I need to be proved wrong.

For me, if Podence is firmly in our plans next season as a regular starter, and I for one would welcome it. Then if someone offered me 30mill for MGW I would take it and spend it towards a mobile central midfielder instead.

Exactly why we need to lose 5 at the back and go with 4 like most other Premier League teams do. Then you can accommodate MGW, Podence and Neto all in the same team. Shackles need to be taken off in our style of play this coming season as the last couple of seasons have been dreadful style of football and mind numbing boredom in so many of our games. Up to Shi and Sellars to back the head coach and get him the central midfield player and centre back we need to implement this season. We've only been asking for a senior centre back and senior central midfield signing for 4 years now Mr Shi!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we're transparent that we need a more attack-minded midfielder and a second striker yet we're going to sell MGW who has shown success in the Championship as...an attacking midfielder and a striker? Unless we get some ridiculous offer, I really don't see the logic in selling a player whose strengths are something our squad needs.

Exactly!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm resigned to it now and then the excuses we cant sign anyone because we are abroad etc. The silence is deafening. We will soon be one of only two clubs in the Premier League who havent signed one player as Chelsea very close to signing Sterling.

Back
Top Bottom