Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The buck stops with Jeff Shi @ WWFC

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bang on.

In answer the original question, I am afraid Jeff Shi as the Captain of the Ship has a hell of a lot to answer for.
This collapse / malaise has been totally self-inflicted.

We still arent far off being a very good side. Lage has gone from getting a lot out of this group to him looking like he has no answers. My issue has always been we are over reliant on Mendes. Until we can find a Jota or Neves without Uncle Jorge we are in trouble.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very true, but its the way the money has been spent and on which positions, rather than an absence or lack of money.
There's an absence of money in the sense that we are owned by an investment company that is not investing in its asset. By their own admission, we must be self-financing. Now I don't know about you, but I would've thought any competent investment company (and I believe Fosun are competent) knows that to grow an investment you have to invest money in it. They are not investing in Wolves. And just ticking over on the revenue streams we have is not going to see Wolves gatecrash the Top Six (on the contrary, we're likely to go the other way).

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's an absence of money in the sense that we are owned by an investment company that is not investing in its asset. By their own admission, we must be self-financing. Now I don't know about you, but I would've thought any competent investment company (and I believe Fosun are competent) knows that to grow an investment you have to invest money in it. They are not investing in Wolves. And just ticking over on the revenue streams we have is not going to see Wolves gatecrash the Top Six (on the contrary, we're likely to go the other way).

we are a trading post for Mendes' players, so need to be safe / middle of Prem for that. to be honest, we knew that when he got involved and we would have taken it. but now we're here, the gloss has definitely worn off

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We still arent far off being a very good side. Lage has gone from getting a lot out of this group to him looking like he has no answers. My issue has always been we are over reliant on Mendes. Until we can find a Jota or Neves without Uncle Jorge we are in trouble.
You must be joking we're absolutely miles away from being a good side. We are so poor we would struggle to stay top half of the Championship with the lot we've got.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You must be joking we're absolutely miles away from being a good side. We are so poor we would struggle to stay top half of the Championship with the lot we've got.

What you are saying is laughable. A month or so ago we actually had a realistic chance of top 4, but according to you this team would be struggling to stay 11th or 12th in the championship. I think you need to stay off whatever it is you are taking.

At full strength, if we bought in 3 quality first team players who could actually do what we needed them to then this team would be in good shape. Squad would still need a couple of extra additions to bolster it, but our first 11 would be a strong side.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While we have had some poor results a team good enough to finish top half of the PL would not struggle to finish top half of the Chump. I assume following the same train of thought that you think that Flum and Bournemouth are better than Citeh and the Dippers too.... Logic is obviously not your strong point....

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are still doing things on the cheap. It is reported they are looking to re-sign moutinho and saiss. What we need is younger quality additions that can play high intensity football.
I don't trust sellars with the proceeds of the neves money as it will get wasted.
We need a new director of football and a clearout like palace did.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are still doing things on the cheap. It is reported they are looking to re-sign moutinho and saiss. What we need is younger quality additions that can play high intensity football.
I don't trust sellars with the proceeds of the neves money as it will get wasted.
We need a new director of football and a clearout like palace did.
Youngsters need some old heads. Saiss, at least until AFCON, everyone wanted re-signed.
Mouts, on a one year deal on less money, with a view to going on the coaching staff, is to me a damned good idea.
I would let Marcal and Ruddy go with our thanks.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not mad keen on paying £500+ next season on a ST if it's more of the same.....
Except Neto coming in, and Sa replacing Patricio (fairly like for like in terms of quality) there hasn't been any quality brought in in maybe 3 seasons. Every premier League team needs refreshing or you end up dropping, especially if you lose your front 2 attacking players and the other returning from injury half the player.
It quite clearly falls on Shi's head. How Lage has got us to 8th is a bloody miracle with this lot having zero attacking threat.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Youngsters need some old heads. Saiss, at least until AFCON, everyone wanted re-signed.
Mouts, on a one year deal on less money, with a view to going on the coaching staff, is to me a damned good idea.
I would let Marcal and Ruddy go with our thanks.
If it’s true Moutinho runs the set pieces I want him nowhere near the coaching staff!

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I presume you mean Dan Ashworth? Who prior to the Albion had a lesser playing, coaching and recruitment career than Sellars. Barring this forum which is full of folk who don’t actually know anything about Sellars, he has a fantastic reputation in football. What does he supposedly lack for you? Had a big playing career, long coaching career and overseeing recruitment and professional qualifications that the vast majority of his peers don’t have.

He's a ****ing puppet with no strings though.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff's done well in running the finances of the club up till now. Some ppl have short memories of where we were barely 5 years ago when Fosun took over. Without Fosun we may have even been relegated to League one and ala Sunderland, still be languishing there.
Our fan outlook just a month ago was optimistic and positive.
A few poor performances since then have asked serious questions of the club and the management.
I am also a passionate Wolves supporter and have been highly disappointed over the past few weeks.
Let's see what happens in the remainder of the season and in the summer. Things change very quickly in football - Bruno was lauded just a month ago don't forget.
But blaming our current "plight" on Jeff and Fosun is uncalled for. In perspective they are doing a good job in my book. Doesn't mean they couldn't do better but it could be far worse.

Of course he's done well with the finances.He ay spent any of it.If I day withdraw any of my money,my bank balance would look good. :rolleyes:

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A few years ago, Mendes was ‘getting us’ Neves, Jota, Moutinho, Patricio, Jimenez, Neto and Boly.

Last 3 years, our recruitment team, and I include Mendes within that, are getting us Hwang, Trincao, Silva and co.

There are a myriad of reasons as to why things don’t feel great at present, but ultimately you cannot hide from the fact that Mendes gave us the biggest leg up possible a few years ago with absolute dream recruitment and since then, either deliberately or unwittingly, our recruitment has been largely shambolic.

The only way we are going to move forward again is if we get cosier again with Uncle Jorge. It’s actuality scary how poor our transfer policy has been since we reduced the reliance on him.

Perhaps he's got a cob on cause Nuno ay here.They were best buddies war they.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

They are partly to blame. Dont think anyone is trying to say otherwise are they? They still didnt behave in this manner for Nuno though. They played poorly, but team spirit wasnt an issue on the whole.
There were performances last season exactly like this. Anyone who can have watched Burnley and think that was a team playing with spirit is delusional.

This group have gone stale and many have been carried for a while by top players (Jota, pre injury Raul and to a slightly lesser extent Neves). Lots of extremely average footballers.
Sa, Neto, Neves (although he doesn't suit Moyes system so possibly not). Who else do West Ham want to sign from us for e.g?

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There were performances last season exactly like this. Anyone who can have watched Burnley and think that was a team playing with spirit is delusional.

This group have gone stale and many have been carried for a while by top players (Jota, pre injury Raul and to a slightly lesser extent Neves). Lots of extremely average footballers.
Sa, Neto, Neves (although he doesn't suit Moyes system so possibly not). Who else do West Ham want to sign from us for e.g?
So many of our lot need dumping but we have already wasted money buying players who are simply not and never will be good enough for the top league. Huge clearout needed but that won't happen under Fosun. Would love to know who spotted Hwang and decided we should buy him?

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So many of our lot need dumping but we have already wasted money buying players who are simply not and never will be good enough for the top league. Huge clearout needed but that won't happen under Fosun. Would love to know who spotted Hwang and decided we should buy him?
I believe from past comments it was Bruno:

"I knew the player before because when I was at Benfica I had some reports on him, so when we had the chance to bring him, we took the decision to come,” said Lage.
“It was a question of opportunity for the club, and we took the decision to bring him."
“He can give us these kind of things, and I want these kind of things in our team".
“I think he has adapted to the Premier League. He is fit and fits our way to play because we need a player like him."

“Top players can enjoy our game and I think he is a top player like the other guys.”

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe from past comments it was Bruno:

"I knew the player before because when I was at Benfica I had some reports on him, so when we had the chance to bring him, we took the decision to come,” said Lage.
“It was a question of opportunity for the club, and we took the decision to bring him."
“He can give us these kind of things, and I want these kind of things in our team".
“I think he has adapted to the Premier League. He is fit and fits our way to play because we need a player like him."

“Top players can enjoy our game and I think he is a top player like the other guys.”
Sadly Bruno’s definition of a top player and mine appears somewhat different. My definition of a top player is someone whose second touch isn’t a tackle.

Reaction score
If a mass walk out after the second Brighton goal doesn’t give him a kick up the backside to start buying quality then nothing will.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve heard that 3 of the accounting staff are leaving or have already gone and Jeff has already said he can do the combined roles.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before the last 2 summer transfer windows now Jeff has stated in ask Wolves questions that he will invest only in the 1st team now rather than the ground improvements. Yet with all the out goings so far this summer (less player wages) and not one incoming yet..

Have Fosun big buck$ signings stopped coming in or is Jeff going to surprise us all soon ??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom