Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The all new reverse-reverse Gary O’Neil humble pie safe space thread

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s the thing, he’s a young manager and is also learning on the job. I just wish he would have played this one a little safer in terms of square pegs and round holes. Against Fulham we set up to support Fraser and get players round him, we abandoned that idea today.
Yep, was obvious with the lining up of a 5 that we'd struggle. Not enough individual brilliance up top to fashion chances out of nowhere or on the counter, we needed bodies.

Reactions: Ned

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hung out to dry in January. Was worried this might happen with injuries and it has. With a couple of additions in January and able to rotate we win this game today. Squad left far to weak and I dont blame ONeil for that. Shi cant be leaving our squad this weak again.
Exactly - Shi should be sacked tonight, for such blatant and obvious incompetence which has left the side in such a small form.

He is part of the reason to blame for today and after nearly 8 years, he should say bye bye.

It’s time for change at the top off the pitch!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tactically he did get it wrong today….. that isn’t up for debate as when you give up 24 shots on your goal at home to a lower league team who were significantly better you got the set up and tactics wrong.

They did the same pass and moves to make the crosses repeatedly and he did nothing to stop it.

He had a shocker today.
i’d blame the players rather than GON, too many senior pros had shocking games.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree, I said on another post, I blame the board for today more than GON and the players!

The managers job is to make adjustments and tweaks when things aren’t working and he didn’t do that.

Lemina looked knackered and the mistake he made in the lead up to the goal was that of a guy who was absolutely *******sed! He should have bought on Traore to shore up the last section after we scored.

He didn’t give instructions or change the shape/structure of the defence to stop the constant crosses, which they did with insane ease and regularity.

That is on him, not the players.

Everyone involved today from players to staff, apart from RAN and Sa were shocking!

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely shocking today. Awful tactics

No desire to go and beat lower league opposition. We’ve got away with it for a while against poor sides but today was too much

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly - Shi should be sacked tonight, for such blatant and obvious incompetence which has left the side in such a small form.

He is part of the reason to blame for today and after nearly 8 years, he should say bye bye.

It’s time for change at the top off the pitch!
Hahahaha….were you one of those that thought we’d get relegated before a ball was kicked? You seem to want a lot of bad things to happen to your club just to satisfy your agenda. Top support mate :tearsofjoy:

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hahahaha….were you one of those that thought we’d get relegated before a ball was kicked? You seem to want a lot of bad things to happen to your club just to satisfy your agenda. Top support mate :tearsofjoy:
Find some proof of where I said that before the season began? All I am doing is giving an honest opinion.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, was obvious with the lining up of a 5 that we'd struggle. Not enough individual brilliance up top to fashion chances out of nowhere or on the counter, we needed bodies.
For me, yeah it was always going to be difficult to create chances with the players available to us, but ultimately we scored twice. Coventry had 12 shots on target and one absolute sitter missed. That's on the players mentality for me.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
GON doesn’t send his players out to not block crosses or mark players. completely on them.
Trouble is Lemina has been unbelievable all season, but now he's trying to play somewhere that doesn't suit him as well, because O'Neil is basically having to name his senior pros and then try to fit them in a formation that works. It didn't work today, Coventry deserved their win, I don't know if they wanted it more, but it certainly looked like they did.

I should probably watch again on TV to judge the players better, but I think it's going in the locked box with the Watford semi-final.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, yeah it was always going to be difficult to create chances with the players available to us, but ultimately we scored twice. Coventry had 12 shots on target and one absolute sitter missed. That's on the players mentality for me.
Fully agreed. No excuses for the way we played and defended today.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So why didn’t we start playing football until 1 down? That’s on him.

Trouble is Lemina has been unbelievable all season, but now he's trying to play somewhere that doesn't suit him as well, because O'Neil is basically having to name his senior pros and then try to fit them in a formation that works. It didn't work today, Coventry deserved their win, I don't know if they wanted it more, but it certainly looked like they did.

I should probably watch again on TV to judge the players better, but I think it's going in the locked box with the Watford semi-final.
i won’t even think of it again now. easier.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strange comments from him on the official site:
"Getting Hugo [Bueno] on helped us get a goal, moving Rayan [Ait-Nouri] up helped us get a goal, but then we end up short at the back and defensive numbers and at that point there’s not a defender available on the bench."

Surely he had more defensive numbers on the pitch as a result?
We ended the game with Santi, Kilman, Semedo, Doherty, RAN, Bueno and two players who primarily play as defensive midfielders in Lemina and Gomes. He also had Bouba on the bench as well.

Just how many "defensive numbers" needed to be available to get the team organised into a defensive set-up and to close the spaces for 10 more minutes against a 2nd division team?

Or was that basically code for "Dawson wasn't there to come on and get them ****ing organised at the back"?

Last edited:

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun need to decide why they own an English prem club-new FFP rules( %of turnover ) mean they should revisit stadium expansion as well as investing in the team .Hopefully they won't just sit on their investment treading water.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON what ever happens comes out of this season with a reputation that is significantly inflated. He says himself everyone assumed we were in for a difficult season it’s been a gr8 season even as gutted as we all are today.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Absolutely this... Lemina was the perfect example. He was very poor today, but surely no one can question his effort or commitment (or quality) since he joined. Similar with GON... the job he's done so far has exceeded all expectations and he has my total and full support. (And gratitude)

Blaming GON is almost as silly as slagging off a 19 year old who was poor... but no worse than a lot of senior pros.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON has worked miracles this season and today doesn’t change that.

A bright, well rounded, young manager that we are lucky to have.

I hope he gets some proper backing in the summer.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Absolutely this... Lemina was the perfect example. He was very poor today, but surely no one can question his effort or commitment (or quality) since he joined. Similar with GON... the job he's done so far has exceeded all expectations and he has my total and full support. (And gratitude)

Blaming GON is almost as silly as slagging off a 19 year old who was poor... but no worse than a lot of senior pros.
But I guess that depends on whether you think O'Neil had a better choice than playing him in an attacking role.

Lemina's fault because he had a poor game
O'Neil's fault because he played him out of position
Fosun's fault because he had no option

Take your choice!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've lost to Coventry and it's almost entirely agreed that we deserved to, as we were second best.

Yet, you can't blame the manager.
You can't say the striker was rubbish even though he was rubbish.
You can't blame the owners for leaving us with a terrible squad.

Unfortunately for Max Kilman it seems like he is fair game :D

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We've lost to Coventry and it's almost entirely agreed that we deserved to, as we were second best.

We can criticise the manager.
We can criticise the young forward too.
We can criticise the owners for decisions they made.
We can criticise our captain when he doesn't play well, or be a good captain.

What we shouldn't do is forget all the good work everyone has done to put us in a position where we're worried the season may now fizzle out, rather than having to fight tooth and nail in a relegation scrap.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You can blame whoever you like. It’s what our grandfathers fought for.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What we shouldn't do is forget all the good work everyone has done to put us in a position where we're worried the season may now fizzle out, rather than having to fight tooth and nail in a relegation scrap.
Well we can, I suppose, but then you get told you know 'nothing' and talk '****' from a poster like yourself who regularly makes up transfer rumours.

You rightly point out that we've overachieved, so what does that mean? Anything goes?

Today was a shambles because we were outplayed by Coventry. That's really bad.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
You can blame whoever you like. It’s what our grandfathers fought for.
Personally, I blame Albion for our loss. They should get a points deduction and be liquidated for it. Oh- and my local corner shop man, as well. It's also his fault we lost because he didn't have my cider the other week.

The old man would be proud.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well we can, I suppose, but then you get told you know 'nothing' and talk '****' from a poster like yourself who regularly makes up transfer rumours.

You rightly point out that we've overachieved, so what does that mean? Anything goes?

Today was a shambles because we were outplayed by Coventry. That's really bad.

You got told you know nothing because you were chatting ****.

I've never made anything up, for the record. Or even mentioned a transfer rumour for nearly a year when I stopped being so lucky to occasionally hear things about what was going on.

Yes, we were poor today.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This is true, the problem is a few people take a criticism of part as a criticism of whole.

It’s a bit weird tbh.

Back
Top Bottom